PDA

View Full Version : Jerry West's Dream Game

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2011, 01:46 AM
So I just got finished reading Jerry West's autobiography, and the fun part is toward the end he creates a dream game, where all the players he admires play with and against each other in their prime. He makes a point to note that players will only be acreditted with an assist if their pass leads to a basket, and also makes sure to point out that hand-checking will be allowed (sorry MJ, looks like you won't be getting the MVP in this game). He has the game being played at Madison Square Garden, and Spike Lee and Jack are both courtside with Chick Hearn calling the game. Oh, and NO TRAVELLING!!!! And yes, two-and-a-half steps IS IN FACT TRAVELLING (sorry again MJ). And no crab-dribbles (sorry LBJ). Whilst dribbling, the hand must be ABOVE the ball, not beside it or under it. The rosters are as follows:

East:
Kobe
Dr. J
Dwayne Wade
Larry Bird
Oscar Robertson
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Tim Duncan
Dennis Rodman
Steve Nash
Charles Barkley
Coached by Red and Phil

West
Jordan
Elgin Baylor
LBJ
Rick Barry
Magic
Shaq
Kareem
Karl Malone
The Dream
Stockton
Jerry West
Coached by Pat and Pop

He gives honourable mentions to the following, who he thinks to be under valued, and/or underappreciated, and/or underrated:
Walt Frazier
Dick Bannett
George Gervin
Clyde Drexler
Scottie Pippen
James Worthy
Moses Malone
Robert Horry
Kevin Garnett
Paul Pierce
Nique
Bill Walton
John Havlecek
David Thompson
Gary Payton
Grant Hill
Kevin McHale
Nate Thurmond

Notably missing: Thomas and Dumars? I thought Dumars would be on his list for sure, Thomas, I'm not surprised for some reason to see his name not included. But Gail Goodrich is also missing, as is Dave Cowens.

And one point of note: West has Russell on the opposing team. I would have thought after six losses in the NBA Finals to Bill Russell, West would have made sure to save a roster spot for him on his own squad! Rivalries never die (enter Russell cackling). Cousy also failed to make the cut?

Thoughts? What match-ups would be good to watch? Who would shine? And who would be playing in your dream game? Who else is missing? And who wins this game?

lakers4sho
11-12-2011, 02:41 AM
West dominates. Jordan, Magic, Shaq, Kareem, and Olajuwon?? Geez. Talk about being fair.

whitemamba33
11-12-2011, 04:13 AM
Did you add in the parts with the brackets yourself? I don't understand the "handchecking" comment. MJ played when there was handchecking and he dominated.

JasonJohnHorn
11-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Did you add in the parts with the brackets yourself? I don't understand the "handchecking" comment. MJ played when there was handchecking and he dominated.

Dumars manged to contain Jordan pretty well three out of four years ;-)