PDA

View Full Version : Looks like they're about to fix the Mid-Level Exception

Fresno
11-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Meanwhile, both sides have agreed that teams in the luxury tax will not be able to use the regular midlevel exception, but will instead have a special, smaller mini-midlevel. It was something the players proposed and the league initially rejected. Now the league has not only agreed to it, but made its offer a bit bigger -- Hunter says the league now is saying it would like to let taxpaying teams offer a three-year deal starting at $3 million. “We tweaked that over the last few days," Silver said, "and we tweaked some other aspects of our proposal as well -- all aimed at creating a more robust offer for free agents.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/33231/nothing-left-to-yell-about

Agents say this concession will cost future free agents a fortune. The league replies that players will make 50 percent of basketball related income regardless -- with finite roster spots, the money has to go somewhere. There is only so much leverage free agents could lose.

Interesting.

I do agree that guys who want to play for a winning team & win a Championship need to make that financial sacrifice such as taking $3 Million per year instead of $5.7 Million per year.

No reason to see potential MLE signings such as Caron Butler, Samuel Dalembert, & Jamal Crawford join Championship contenders and still make good money at 5/$33 Million.

Hellcrooner
11-11-2011, 04:16 PM
that is only gonna hurt small markets.

i mean, if the player wants to win, and he can only take **** dollars, h e rather take **** dollars somwhere nice and competitive.

and what they need to drop is the stupid " no sign and trades for luxury teams"

Immoknight
11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/33231/nothing-left-to-yell-about

Interesting.

I do agree that guys who want to play for a winning team & win a Championship need to make that financial sacrifice such as taking $3 Million per year instead of $5.7 Million per year.

No reason to see potential MLE signings such as Caron Butler, Samuel Dalembert, & Jamal Crawford join Championship contenders and still make good money at 5/$33 Million.

I am so sick and tired of people rationalizing this idiocracy. Nobody held a gun to the owners heads and made them sign poor players for more money than they are worth. Now, those same sniveling owners want to assume no risk whatsoever as they continue to make stupid decision after stupid decision.

As for this, this is just them covering themselves. It's not some grandiose gesture to create balance... it's to make sure that when they do screw up, it costs them far less than it once did and players can't complain because that's the max their mistake is worth now.

So, no... competitive 'fairness' is a joke... these arguments are a joke and the owners are a joke. Except they make fans think they are doing it for them.... guess the joke is on all of us.

Fresno
11-11-2011, 04:21 PM

i mean, if the player wants to win, and he can only take **** dollars, h e rather take **** dollars somwhere nice and competitive.

I am so sick and tired of people rationalizing this idiocracy. Nobody held a gun to the owners heads and made them sign poor players for more money than they are worth. Now, those same sniveling owners want to assume no risk whatsoever as they continue to make stupid decision after stupid decision.

As for this, this is just them covering themselves. It's not some grandiose gesture to create balance... it's to make sure that when they do screw up, it costs them far less than it once did and players can't complain because that's the max their mistake is worth now.

So, no... competitive 'fairness' is a joke... these arguments are a joke and the owners are a joke. Except they make fans think they are doing it for them.... guess the joke is on all of us.

Well said for both.:clap:

Hellcrooner
11-11-2011, 04:22 PM

well if you thought fans are stupid and are gonna believe you, and it turns out they INDEED are stupid wouldnt you try to lie them too for your benefit?
Cant blamen them for it.

Chronz
11-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Im very curious seeing what happens as a result. There is no way of knowing how this effects our league until it actually happens. I was for removing it entirely but this seems like a better option.

What Im wondering is, if the league does away with all the exceptions how are teams going to build their teams? Are teams so willing to sacrifice their future for the present because if there are no ways of exceeding the cap then you will be locked into the core you have for a very long time.

Chronz
11-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Agreed, you put it more eloquently than I could have but yes those have been my thoughts as well.

This is just regarding the MLE, from what Im hearing (on PSD mind you), is that the actual salary Cap will stay high so max salaries can still go to players at the top, and Im sure plenty of owners will still make the mistake of wrongly allocating those max contracts, what this will do is hurt the former 10 Million dollar double-double PF/C or the Shane Battiers, the Eddy Curry's. Guys who dont command max but were good enough to command the middle market. With no way of offering that money once you have your max guys set those middle market players are going to be left with scraps.

Maybe, but we have to hope it works

Tony_Starks
11-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Im very curious seeing what happens as a result. There is no way of knowing how this effects our league until it actually happens. I was for removing it entirely but this seems like a better option.

What Im wondering is, if the league does away with all the exceptions how are teams going to build their teams? Are teams so willing to sacrifice their future for the present because if there are no ways of exceeding the cap then you will be locked into the core you have for a very long time.

Thats the part I really don't understand. The way I look at it with the rules they are trying to put in place the mediocre teams are going to stay that way for a while. With all the luxury tax penalties there's no way they're going to want to exceed it if they're already losing money, they now no longer have the option of enticing good FA's with overpaying, and the difference between the mid level they can offer as opposed to the big markets isn't going to enough to entice anyone.

Outside of completely breaking their teams down and starting from scratch Im just really not seeing how this helps them......

Birdmannn
11-11-2011, 04:36 PM
I thought it was called an exception for a reason. My understanding was an exception was something you were able to use if you were over the cap already to give you a little room to improve.
Why is it called an exception if it's not one at all

Hellcrooner
11-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Thats the part I really don't understand. The way I look at it with the rules they are trying to put in place the mediocre teams are going to stay that way for a while. With all the luxury tax penalties there's no way they're going to want to exceed it if they're already losing money, they now no longer have the option of enticing good FA's with overpaying, and the difference between the mid level they can offer as opposed to the big markets isn't going to enough to entice anyone.

Outside of completely breaking their teams down and starting from scratch Im just really not seeing how this helps them......

wich is gonna be absolutely difficult to do, because no one will want bad contracts at anny price that is not ridiculous.

Owners are acting like a headless chiken, and it will probably explode in their face.

Sactown
11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
wich is gonna be absolutely difficult to do, because no one will want bad contracts at anny price that is not ridiculous.

Owners are acting like a headless chiken, and it will probably explode in their face.
I think the point is that they're trying to make bad deals fewer and farther in between. If there is a large penalty for going over the cap, or if even better there is a hard cap then absolutely no one is going to offer Gilbert Arenas a 100 Mil contract because it would be impossible to fit other players in the roster given his talent to be competitive. If the bulls can't offer Joe Johnson a contract then ATL doesn't need to offer him the max...

With a large penalty system/Hard cap than Big Market teams can't horde as much talent and there will be enough talent around the league to keep A) the players competitive for contracts and B) Teams more competitive with better distribution of talent.. of course there are going to be exceptions like Miami who managed to totally clear there salary cap, but like I said fewer and farther in between.

Hawkeye15
11-11-2011, 06:20 PM

the old mid level was already hurting small markets, at least now the contracts are reduced. Its better for the small markets in the new system than the old.

Chronz
11-11-2011, 06:38 PM

But its a rule that applies to everyone, it just makes it cheaper for the owners, this one aint about parity.

Sactown
11-11-2011, 06:51 PM
But its a rule that applies to everyone, it just makes it cheaper for the owners, this one aint about parity.

I have to agree

Hellcrooner
11-11-2011, 11:44 PM

Like all of the rules they are trying to implement, sadly some fans and blind to their lies bout parity.

Btu i think they are forgetting something important, the new amount of the mle is EASY to match and SURPASS for European clubs.

It may end up with an nba comprised of Stars+ nbdlaers with all the Mle type people signing in europe for the money,.