PDA

View Full Version : Redraft Voting: (1) Guantanamo Guinea Pigs vs. (2) New Mexico Ocelots

KH12
11-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the playoff voting for the PSD Bulls Forum NBA Redraft. The point of the redraft is to draft the best team possible and the obvious goal is to be crowned champion by the NBA forum. You will notice that the team name do not represent current NBA teams. The reason why we avoided this is because we wanted to avoid a bias that exists with current team names. For example, a team that had the Chicago Bulls team name would probably experience a higher volume of votes than letís say the Memphis Grizzlies team simply because they have the larger fan base on PSD. As a result we got rid of that bias completely. Please take the time to review both teams, look at the depth chart and read the write ups to formalize your own opinion on which team would win a 7 game series. As far as injuries go, they will not be playing a factor in this Redraft though players that are continually hurt and have not had a healthy season in quite some time should be viewed as different players than what they once were (Yao, Oden, Roy etc). Thank you for voting and enjoy the match ups.

(1) Guantanamo Guinea Pigs vs. (2) New Mexico Ocelots

Guantanamo will have home court advantage in this series!

We ask you to please read the write-ups before voting! Thanks!

Link to Clubhouses. (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645187)

Guantanamo Depth Chart:
PG: Deron Williams - Jordan Farmar
SG: James Harden - Carlos Delfino - Daequan Cook
SF: Jared Dudley - Luc Mbah a Moute
PF: Amar'e Stoudemire - Anthony Tolliver
C: Samuel Dalembert - Kwame Brown - Jeff Foster

New Mexico Depth Chart:
PG: Raymond Felton - Derek Fisher
SG: Kobe Bryant - Daniel Gibson
SF: Andrei Kirilenko - C.J. Miles - Sam Young
PF: Luis Scola - Antonio McDyess - Trevor Booker
C: Marc Gasol - Andris Biedrins

Guantanamo's Write-Up:
Point Guard: Deron Williams + Jordan Farmar vs. Raymond Felton + Derek Fisher

This is a matchup we feel we'll control easily in this series, being that Deron Williams, again, is one of the top 3 PGs in the NBA. Deron won't have much trouble slowing Felton down on the offensive end. Just as he's done over his career, holding Felton to just 36.3% from the field in head-to-head matchups.

Deron is the perfect point guard for our team with his scoring and incredible playmaking abilities, as well as having great size to defend on the perimeter. We've put a good mix of weapons around him for him to make use of or to take the pressure off of him. This will allow one of the league's best decision makers to exploit the Ocelots' defense at will. Setting up perimeter shooters like Jared Dudley, Carlos Delfino, Daequan Cook, James Harden, Anthony Tolliver, and/or Jordan Farmar, or cutters like James Harden, Luc Mbah a Moute, or working a nearly unstoppable pick and roll/pop game with Amar'e Stoudemire. And when those options are (attempted to be) covered, Deron can put the ball in the basket himself.

Whenever Deron needs a breather, and they are usually short, we have a guy in Jordan Farmar that can come in and continue to put the pressure on the opposing defense, with scoring or playmaking. Farmar showed great flashes with the Nets last season when Deron was out and showed that he could potentially even be a nice starting PG. He defends well, can knock down the outside shot, and does a good job of setting up his teammates with a 34.9 AST%.

Deron and Jordan's eyes will definitely light up any time they see the quickly aging Derek Fisher check into the game. His slowing footspeed and declining efficiency has brought him to the point where he wouldn't make it as a backup on many NBA rosters. This is going to leave a lot of work for Felton trying to slow down an elite PG and a fresh young effective PG.

Shooting Guard: James Harden + Carlos Delfino + Daequan Cook vs. Kobe Bryant + Daniel Gibson

At first glance this appears to be a big advantage for the Ocelots with Kobe, but the Guinea Pigs have plenty of different looks and defenders to throw at him. There's no sure fire way to completely stop Kobe, but he is containable, and we definitely think we have what it takes to contain him. Not to mention that James Harden is one of the top young up and coming guards in the league, and will make for a great 3rd option on our team. Harden has shown that he can be a great defender, create his own shot, and knock down open threes. He should thrive here with Deron and Amar'e.

Harden has experienced success against Kobe defensively and offensively. In head-to-head matchups Harden has had games of limiting Kobe to 11 points (30 minutes, 36.4 FG%), 17 points (37 minutes, 36.4 FG%), 21 points (41 minutes, 31.6 FG%), 13 points (30 minutes, 44.4 FG%). Here's a small example of the pressure Harden will be able to put on Kobe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TDVWnZ5K8

Mbah a Moute is a stout elite defender who will be seeing extended minutes in this series against Kobe when needed.

Hollinger on Mbah a Moute:

Mbah a Moute is one of the league's elite defensive players, especially when he lines up on the wing. He's long, tough and moves his feet well, and unusually for a slightly built player, he likes to bang around the rim. As a 4, he's pretty good, especially when he can be the help defender against the pick-and-roll.

Luc will hassle Kobe and make him exert a lot of energy, earning every point he scores.

Then, there's still Jared Dudley, who is another capable body to step in and give Kobe some trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7AriXMOjsk

That's without even getting to Delfino and Cook coming off the bench, giving us a great rotation of shooting and defense at guard. Delfino and Cook will both be looked to to help space the floor with their 3-point shooting and both provide solid defense. When needed we can also rely on Delfino to handle and create some offense, as he showed with the Bucks this year that he's capable of putting up some points in bunches.

Small Forward: Jared Dudley + Luc Mbah a Moute vs. Andrei Kirilenko + CJ Miles + Sam Young

Jared Dudley will provide outstanding floor spacing for our pick and roll combo, as well as playing some great defense. He should be able to shadow Kirilenko or Miles effectively throughout the series.

Dudley is coming off of an outstanding 56.0 eFG%, 59.8 TS%, 41.5 3PT% season (45.8 3PT% in 2010), and should be seeing even more wide open looks with the Guinea Pigs with Deron, Amar'e, and Harden drawing a lot of the defensive attention.

We've already established what Mbah a Moute is capable of, and his defensive impacts. He'll also be effective cutting and slashing with Deron finding him. Delfino will also be seeing some minutes at the 3 here.

Interior Matchups: Amar'e Stoudemire + Samuel Dalembert + Kwame Brown + Anthony Tolliver + Jeff Foster vs. Luis Scola + Marc Gasol + Antonio McDyess + Trevor Booker + Andris Biedrins

Whoever the Ocelots decide to throw at Amar'e, we aren't worried. Amar'e is the best pick and roll diver in the NBA, and one of the most unstoppable offensive forces in the league. He has the tools and abilities to beat any kind of defender in different ways. Amar'e will be able to score nearly at will against either starting frontcourt member of the Ocelots and will have plenty of help from Harden and Deron in getting open looks.

Amar'e vs. Scola: 27.4 PPG, 9.9 RPG, 1.3 APG, 1.4 BPG, 55.1 FG% in 37.6 MPG
Amar'e vs. Gasol: 19.8 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 1.5 APG, 1.0 BPG, 56.9 FG% in 33.3 MPG
Amar'e vs. Biedrins: 23.7 PPG, 9.7 RPG, 1.6 APG, 0.9 BPG, 58.3 FG% in 33.7 MPG
Amar'e vs. McDyess: 26.9 PPG, 10.0 RPG, 1.7 RPG, 1.2 BPG, 51.3 FG% in 38.3 MPG

Obviously all of these minutes weren't against the specified player, but we don't see any of them giving Amar'e much trouble.

Samuel Dalembert will also be seeing the largest amount of open looks in his career, as this is the most talented group of offensive talent he's played with. With nearly all of the defense's attention going to our other 4 starters, Dalembert will have plenty of opportunities to receive open lobs and backdoor passes from D-Will. He should easily have a FG% over 52%.

On the defensive end we'll be sending Dalembert's athleticism and length at Marc Gasol to hassle him, as well as outrebound him. Dalembert outrebounds Gasol in head-to-head matchups 8.9 RPG to 7.1 RPG, while playing over 7 fewer minutes per game (34.9 for Gasol, 27.6 for Dalembert). With Amar'e outrebounding Scola in head-to-head matchups 9.9 RPG to 6.4 RPG, we should be able to hold our ground and rebound fairly well.

We also have great rebounders coming in off the bench with Kwame Brown and Jeff Foster, both of which are also solid defenders. Tolliver, Dalembert, Kwame, Mbah a Moute, and Foster should be able to give Scola and Gasol different looks and trouble on the defensive end.

Andris Biedrins and Antonio McDyess won't pose much of a threat, as both have greatly declined.

Overall:

The Guinea Pigs are a well balanced team on both ends of the court. We have great defensive players mixed with offensive forces and can play inside and out.

We'll be seeing two of the best pick and roll operators in the NBA working together with Deron and Amar'e. This duo will be nearly unstoppable.

Along with having a great arsenal of players to space the floor from long distance in Jared Dudley (41.5%), Carlos Delfino (37%), Anthony Tolliver (40.9%), Daequan Cook (42.2%), Jordan Farmar (35.9%), James Harden (34.9%), Deron Williams (35.5% career). This team is primed for a deep playoff run.

We ultimately feel that with defense we can throw at Kobe, our offensive structure, and the Ocelots' lack of floor spacing in the starting lineup, and homecourt advantage, we'll be able to take this series and move onto the Finals.

Good luck to my good buddy, Iggz and the Ocelots.

New Mexico's Write-Up:

Congratulations to the Guinea Pigs. This should be a great series. Hereís what I think it will come down to:

Backcourt:
Raymond Felton vs Deron Williams:
Deron is a great PG but luckily, I have a defensive PG to make Deron work for every time he wants to make a play or go for a bucket. Deron is the better player here but regardless, the Guinea Pigsí best player will be slowed down. And letís not forget how solid of a player Felton is himself, posting a 16/4/8 line last year.

Kobe Bryant vs James Harden: Iím not really sure who Guantanamo has in mind to guard Kobe but Bryant has destroyed both Harden and Dudley throughout their careers. Here our their career head to head matchups:

Kobe against Harden: 25.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 5.4 apg, 47% fg

Kobe against Dudley: 29.6 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 5.4 apg, 52% fg

They really have no one to guard Kobe. Meanwhile, I will have Kobe guarding Harden and this is what Harden has done against Kobe in his career:

Harden against Kobe: 11.4 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg, 33% fg

Limiting Harden is important because this limits Guantanamo to only 2 players that can really contribute offensively.

Frontcourt:
Guarding Amare: This will be a priority but there are a couple factors that will really help me here.

I love the combination of Scolaís peskiness and flopping and Gasolís size and shot-blocking ability to effectively slow down Amare. Scola will guard him from the perimeter and if Amare manages to get past him, Gasol will be there to body him up in the paint (since Dalembert isnít much of a threat and Amare isnít much of a passer).
I think the biggest factor here will be Kirilenkoís versatility from the weakside. AK47 is one of the best perimeter shot-blockers in the NBA and his 6-9 frame will prove extremely helpful in contesting Amareís shots. Since Dudley isnít too much of an offensive threat and Amare isnít good at passing out of the paint, Kirilenko can be free to help out the frontcourt a lot and contest Amareís shots.

Basically, Amare will get a lot of attention from my frontcourt defense (Kirilenko, Scola, and Gasol), severely limiting Guantanamoís offensive attack.

Scola and Gasolís Scoring:

This is where I see a huge advantage. Amareís defensive woes are well-known, while Dalembert is pretty solid defending the paint. However, Scola and Gasol are both exceptional mid-range players, forcing Dalembert to play either player away from the rim, playing to his weakness. This will force Amare to defend the paint, allowing Kobe, Felton, and Scola/Gasol a shot in the paint or forcing Amare to commit a foul. I believe that a Scola/Gasol frontcourt is much more dynamic offensively than an Amare/Dalembert frontcourt.

More Factors:
Team Defense:
I think the Ocelots have the clear advantage here, with at least 4 starters who are above average and 3 starters who are absolutely exceptional on that end.

Experience/Veterans:
The Guinea Pigs are a very young team and the only long-time vet they have is Jeff Foster. Meanwhile, the Ocelots excel with true veterans like Kobe and Fisher (multi-championship winners), McDyess, and Kirilenko. This experience will prove crucial in this series and I think they will be able to take advantage of Guantanamoís inexperience.

Conclusion:
I believe that the Ocelotsí more versatile offense, better defense, and greater experience will be able to defeat the Guinea Pigs. I wish the Guinea Pigs good luck and may the best team win.

haggis
11-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I think the Ocelots frontcourt wins again.

KH12
11-11-2011, 03:28 PM
This is a tough one, both are great teams and both GMs had very good write-ups and made interesting points.

kingbrentg
11-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Glad I wasted time I didn't have on that write up. :sigh:

Iggz53
11-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Glad I wasted time I didn't have on that write up. :sigh:

:( We should have went without one! Anyway, this series is far from over.

kingbrentg
11-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Oh it's over

Iggz53
11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
No it aint. Cheer up you son of a *****

kingbrentg
11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
No...

:sad2:

The_Jamal
11-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Iggz by far has the most complete team in this redraft and I don't see how anyone will be able to beat that squad.

Well done.