PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Dallas Mavericks: chances at playoffs?

beasted86
11-10-2011, 09:42 PM
We still don't know if Jason Kidd will retire, and Chandler already said the new changes might force him out. So let's assume they can only re-sign J.J. and Butler.

PG: Barrea / Roddy B
SG: Fernandez / Terry / DoJo
SF: Butler / Brewer
PF: Nowitzki / Cardinal
C:: Haywood / Ian M

What are their actual chances of making the playoffs?

Bruno
11-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Making the playoffs? I'd say they're locks. Remember they ripped up the playoffs without the presence of their best wing defender in Butler.

Ebbs
11-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Umm yea still a playoff team.

Cal827
11-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Lower seed in the West (like 5th or 6th). I think that Chandler was instrumental to that team.. Not sure if Haywood could suffice (I know he was good before).

NYMetros
11-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Playoff lock unless Dirk gets injured or something..:shrug:

beasted86
11-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Making the playoffs? I'd say they're locks. Remember they ripped up the playoffs without the presence of their best wing defender in Butler.

Marion is their best wing defender... but I left him off because they might use the amnesty on him. I'm really not sure how far Cuban will go into the luxury tax.

GhostfaceDrilla
11-11-2011, 03:13 AM
First off, saying we might not even make the playoffs is like saying Kobe will never have another 20 point game. Would it be illogical if I said the Lakers won't make the playoffs?

Why would we get rid of our top wing defender at all?

Say we lose Chandler and replace with Haywood and Kidd retires. We are still a guaranteed lock for playoffs if Dirk is healthy. A healthy Dirk with any other players = playoffs.

Jeff559
11-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Seriously? What is up with all these ridiculous threads?

Chronz
11-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Marion is their best wing defender... but I left him off because they might use the amnesty on him. I'm really not sure how far Cuban will go into the luxury tax.

Why wouldnt he keep the guy who helped him win a title but extend the guy who he won without? Potential?

beasted86
11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Why wouldnt he keep the guy who helped him win a title but extend the guy who he won without? Potential?

Caron's market value is probably very similar to the contract Marion signed for. They may feel for the same money, Butler is the better player as he's already 2 years younger, a better scorer, and a capable defender when healthy.

If they keep Marion, re-sign Butler & Barrea to their market value, they will be in the luxury for more than 2 years and face the 'multiple repeater tax' if that actually is in the CBA. A lot of the team is dependent on whether Kidd stays or not.

joeboow90
11-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Im not tryna bash or anything but this is kinda pointless to discuss because their team hasnt been set yet. no ones team has been decided yet so we cant say who'll make the playoffs and who wont..

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-11-2011, 12:35 PM
:laugh:

beasted86
11-11-2011, 12:36 PM
First off, saying we might not even make the playoffs is like saying Kobe will never have another 20 point game. Would it be illogical if I said the Lakers won't make the playoffs?

Why would we get rid of our top wing defender at all?

Say we lose Chandler and replace with Haywood and Kidd retires. We are still a guaranteed lock for playoffs if Dirk is healthy. A healthy Dirk with any other players = playoffs.

I was going to start a Lakers version of this thread next. But it seems my point hasn't gotten through, so I'm going to stop now.

sixer04fan
11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
What a dumb ****ing thread. Seriously. A blatant bait thread. Pathetic.

smith&wesson
11-11-2011, 01:20 PM
i bet they use the amnesty clause on haywood and try to resign chandler before they resign any one else.

sep11ie
11-11-2011, 01:32 PM
These are getting pretty dumb. You need a new hobby.