PDA

View Full Version : 2012 New Jersey Nets: Playoff bound?

RekeHavoc
11-10-2011, 09:54 AM
How do you guys feel about the Nets heading into the next season? Their current roster has many holes, and they are trying to build a roster that will entice DWill to stay, and i think i have the formula:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/new-jersey-nets-team-salary/

Heading into this season, the Nets have 40 million in committed salary, with a projected cap of say, 60 million, they have 20 million in cap space.

they need to show williams before next summer that they are serious about competing for a title, and the only logical way of going about this is, making some serious moves in 2011,i think we all learned from the lebron situation that you cant make marginal moves and sit around and then when the offseason say "hey, were gunna resign you, and get chris bosh", obviously bosh said no:

The Toronto Raptors have told the Cleveland Cavaliers they will do a sign-and-trade with them for Bosh, according to several league sources.

The exact details of the potential trade have not been solidified, but Toronto likely would get Anderson Varejao and/or J.J. Hickson, Delonte West and perhaps Anthony Parker. A draft pick could be involved as well.

Mike & Mike in the Morning

ESPN NBA insider Chris Broussard says he thinks LeBron James is leaning toward staying in Cleveland. Chris Bosh wants to play with James but would rather do it in a bigger city than Cleveland.

Both James and Bosh are aware that such a trade is possible, and James has tried to recruit Bosh to the Cavaliers several times in the past few weeks, according to sources.

But right now, Bosh remains cold to the idea of playing in Cleveland.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5357607

you have to be proactive and make a deal before things get rough, waiting around for a player to come and save you team, while you dont have a ton of pieces isnt a smart idea, ask the other metropolitan area team how the summer of 2010 went. no pieces to offer the big chip so you end up with the consolation prize.

So heres my plan for NJ to avoid all these problems,even if they dont end up with 2 superstars, atleast this might help them to keep the only superstar they have happy enough to resign:

Step 1:
-Using the Amnesty clause on travis outlaw, this will free up 7 million more cap space for them in 2011.

-Donot resign humpfries

With their salary total at 33 million out of a max of 60 at this point, they have enough money to not only go after david west, but fill another hole in their roster

Step 2:

The NJ Nets should sign west for 10 million dollars for 4 years, this will bring their cap total up to 43 million in 2011. leaving 15 million dollars available for howard.

but a shooting guard is supposedly on the market, and it shouldnt cost much to acquire him: OJ Mayo, the pacers nearly acquired him for josh mcroberts but the deadline clock ran out on them. so my advice, take a small risk to get him by trading a future pick(if they still have any after that williams trade last year), and stephen graham for Mayo.

with a roster of:

1.Williams,farmar
2.Mayo,morrow
3.Jones,random piece of crap
4.West,random piece of crap
5.Lopez,petro

with a roster like this, they should easily be able to get atleast the 6th seed in the eastern conference.

but what about howard?? the Mayo trade took off about 2 million dollars of their cap and they have to resign him the following summer, how do they get howard now?

at this point, at the deadline, the only thing you can really do is offer lopez and jones to the magic for howard. by this point in the season, lopez and williams should be a domnant enough combination that lopez should be averaging a little over 20 points per game, making him a very good trade chip to orlando

if they say no and decide to keep him, so what? you still have what? 9-10 million dollars in the next offseason, you resign mayo, williams, and lopez, and he following year, you use the MLE to improve your roster

if they say yes, you have your two superstars, and a shooting guard who will be very valuable in the future.

this is a win-win situation, you miss out on howard, you get williams, you get howard, you get williams

i think this is the best possible way to go about htis, williams needs to see that his team is interested in competing for a ring

another thing they can do is offering kirilenko a deal in the offseason, althoiugh they would have to probably throw 4-5 million at him, you have to show him that he is the number 1 priority to your team and your not just going to sit around and pray that howard falls in your lap

thoughts?

what do you think the nets should do?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-10-2011, 09:56 AM
yes, they will make the playoffs with d-will

Kidd>>>K-Mart
11-10-2011, 10:32 AM
It is way too soon to tell. If there is an amnesty, Nene will get his money I expect him to be a Net over West... if there is an amnesty.

RekeHavoc
11-10-2011, 10:33 AM
It is way too soon to tell. If there is an amnesty, Nene will get his money I expect him to be a Net over West... if there is an amnesty.

i dont see him playing the 4

especially if they want to go after howard, you wld want a 4 that stretches the floor with his mid range shot,even tho nene is solid with it

29$JerZ
11-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Boston, New York and Philly pretty much have this division on lock

Orlando and Atlanta despite their playoff woes will always be there as long as Dwight and Atlanta's core stays in place.

Miami is a no brainer.

Chicago is the runner in a weak division.

NJ could make it as an 8th seed but they need a ton of work to do before they are considered playoff bound. You still have an up and coming Wizards and Pacers team to take into account as well.

RekeHavoc
11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Boston, New York and Philly pretty much have this division on lock

Orlando and Atlanta despite their playoff woes will always be there as long as Dwight and Atlanta's core stays in place.

Miami is a no brainer.

Chicago is the runner in a weak division.

NJ could make it as an 8th seed but they need a ton of work to do before they are considered playoff bound. You still have an up and coming Wizards and Pacers team to take into account as well.

classic example of reading the topic and skipping the OP's first post, congrads:clap:

YoungOne
11-10-2011, 10:50 AM
why sign west? he os pretty much the older version of brook lopez..

29$JerZ
11-10-2011, 10:51 AM
classic example of reading the topic and skipping the OP's first post, congrads:clap:

I don't like to play the Fantasy game of who the Nets will sign or waive when a CBA isn't close to being finished and you have zero ideas as to who is really interested in playing for the Nets as of now....

This is pretty much a trade idea thread so I apologize if me actually stating what NJ needs to do as of now and how their are clearly 7 teams ahead of them regardless of acquistions doesn't agree with NJ getting Mayo and David West and them being a 6th seed. I can read.

RekeHavoc
11-10-2011, 10:51 AM
why sign west? he os pretty much the older version of brook lopez..

18,7 boards 50% shooting hard working player

good for 4 years or so

powerforwards have a good shelf life in the nba, unlike guards

RekeHavoc
11-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't like to play the Fantasy game of who the Nets will sign or waive when a CBA isn't close to being finished and you have zero ideas as to who is really interested in playing for the Nets as of now....

This is pretty much a trade idea thread so I apologize if me actually stating what NJ needs to do as of now and how their are clearly 7 teams ahead of them regardless of acquistions doesn't agree with NJ getting Mayo and David West and them being a 6th seed. I can read.

they why did u post?:eyebrow:

west i believe has been rumored to indiana, and the nets

mayo was rumored sometime last year i think

Sinestro
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
As currently constructed? No, I think the Pacers and Bucks are more complete, with the trade you mentioned yes, I can see them battling, New York, Atlanta and Orlando for that 4-6 range

29$JerZ
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
they why did u post?:eyebrow:

west i believe has been rumored to indiana, and the nets

mayo was rumored sometime last year i think

Because the Nets success affects how my Knicks do and I'm just a basketball nut all around so why can't I?

Nets have a terrible contract with Outlaw. Even after amnesty him being cut leaves NJ with no SF.

Nets needs a ton of things to surround Deron and Brook with. Mayo is not an option, Memphis will keep him. David West is possible but I doubt a NBA owned Hornets team isn't going to try their best to keep their only good player next to Paul so he won't bolt for a better situation like Thunder, Orlando, NY regardless of how much money he'd lose.

NJ just clearly isn't ready to be a playoff contender.
They have 3 teams ahead of them in their own division which makes it tough as it is to squeeze into the 8th spot. Going to take more than playing fantasy owner and putting names around Deron/Brook when a CBA hasn't even been formed.

RekeHavoc
11-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Because the Nets success affects how my Knicks do and I'm just a basketball nut all around so why can't I?

Nets have a terrible contract with Outlaw. Even after amnesty him being cut leaves NJ with no SF.

Nets needs a ton of things to surround Deron and Brook with. Mayo is not an option, Memphis will keep him. David West is possible but I doubt a NBA owned Hornets team isn't going to try their best to keep their only good player next to Paul so he won't bolt for a better situation like Thunder, Orlando, NY regardless of how much money he'd lose.

NJ just clearly isn't ready to be a playoff contender.
They have 3 teams ahead of them in their own division which makes it tough as it is to squeeze into the 8th spot. Going to take more than playing fantasy owner and putting names around Deron/Brook when a CBA hasn't even been formed.

isnt that what all knicks threads are about tho?:cool:

anyway, mayo is available, the bulls could have had him for asik or gibson last year, the pacers nearly had him for mcroberts, i dont see why u think hes not available

29$JerZ
11-10-2011, 11:08 AM
isnt that what all knicks threads are about tho?:cool:

anyway, mayo is available, the bulls could have had him for asik or gibson last year, the pacers nearly had him for mcroberts, i dont see why u think hes not available

No it's not but whatever.

He's not available because despite those offers he is still a Grizzley.

RekeHavoc
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM
No it's not but whatever.

He's not available because despite those offers he is still a Grizzley.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6155170

classic example of a casual fan, not knowing what happened on the deadline

GeekInThePink
11-10-2011, 11:22 AM
I think they have to upgrade at small forward and power forward. Not a knock against Humphries but I think it may be unrealistic that he puts up 10/10 again, he's an extremely solid sixth man though.

At small forward they have got to find a more consistent player, hopefully they get to chance to cut Outlaw using the new amnesty clause. I think the hope for the Nets is to develop Damion James to the point where he's ready to start by 2013 and hopefully they can find a decent stop gap for this year.

29$JerZ
11-10-2011, 11:25 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6155170

classic example of a casual fan, not knowing what happened on the deadline

Your insults mean nothing to me
I'm well aware of how the Mayo transaction almost gone done.

My point is after their playoff success without Rudy Gay they will not trade Mayo any time soon unless they get a very good offer.

So him coming to NJ is about as realistic as NY getting Paul at the next deadline.

ne3xchamps
11-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Nope... neither will anyone else cause there won't be a season so don't feel so bad NJ fans.

nyKnicks126
11-10-2011, 09:08 PM
They have a chance at the 8th seed, I will say they have a 40% chance.

Chill_Will_24
11-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Deron Williams nuff said

Cant believe ppl cant see them doing better than PHI, MIL, IND

flatbush knicks
11-11-2011, 02:03 AM
a cold day in hell

thenetslegend
11-11-2011, 02:57 AM
yes, deron makes everyone around him better, philly, mil, ind, are question marks although philly played well last year. nets will make it