PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Indiana Pacers:Playoff contenders?

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Firstly, let me explain to you some terms in the RekeHavoc dictionary:

Superstars: The best players in the league who can put a team on their back and lead them deep into the playoffs: Wade,Rose,Lebron,Dirk,Kobe

Elite: The top 4-5 players at each position

Playoff contender: A team around seeds 4-6 that can be competitive in a 7 game series and can possibly scare a team and advance to the 2nd round

Title contender: Only teams capable of winning a championship:thunder,bulls,lakers,heat,mavs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that being said: Would this mock 2012 Indiana Pacer team be good enough to scare some teams in the east and advance to the 2nd round?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/indiana-pacers-team-salary/

under the projected cap, they will have a little over 21 million dollars in cap space

they have been rumored to go after both crawford and david west

i personally find going after crawford to be dumb, because he would likely have to be overpaid to consider signing with them, maybe around 8 million per year or so for a 30 yr old shooting guard.

david west would be a great pf and i believe he wld help collison develop into a better pg.

the pacers sign crawford for about 8 milllion, for 4 yrs, and throw 12-13 million at west for 5 years:

1.Collison,G.hill
2.George,Crawford
3.Granger,random piece of crap
4.West,hansborough
5.Hibbert,foster

how far do you think this roster would go?

i dont think this team would do much damage unfortunately, tho they might be able to scare a team like the celtics, knicks, or hawks in the playoffs, but i dont think they could beat any of those teams as yet with this roster. depending on how hibbert develops tho, and how george develops

what do u guys think?

do you have any better senarios that are REALISTIC that you would like to share?

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:15 AM
1) premature
2) no

truther
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
why so much talk for a 37 win team

MrfadeawayJB
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
So hard to tell how the players would mesh. I do like the addition of George Hill to your roster though. If this team was put together i would say at worst 7-8 seed losing in a 5 or 6 game series, and at best a 4-5 seed winning the 1st round and getting bounced in the second rd

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 11:37 AM
So hard to tell how the players would mesh. I do like the addition of George Hill to your roster though. If this team was put together i would say at worst 7-8 seed losing in a 5 or 6 game series, and at best a 4-5 seed winning the 1st round and getting bounced in the second rd

yea, i see 5th or 6th seed as well

i cant think of a scenario in which they would be better that is realistic, besides revisiting the mayo for mcroberts deal

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
why so much talk for a 37 win team

well if you want to continue to have discussions on the team in the eastern conference with 42 wins ;), go ahead, but ive had enough of those threads for a hwile

Lucky.
11-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I really like the Pacers lately, They have A bright future and I expect them to get the 6th seed. I think they would have won the Chicago series if they won that last game. They would have gone home the next, I think they would have won there, And then have all the momentum for game 7.

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 12:11 PM
1) premature
2) no

oh, like the threads talking about howard and paul in 2012-2013 right?

Sadds The Gr8
11-09-2011, 12:12 PM
lol no...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-09-2011, 12:13 PM
not a chance

CousinsEvansDUO
11-09-2011, 12:48 PM
2012. No way. But in 2-3 years, perhaps.
Same with the kings. It will take a few years to adjust their dominance and perfect it. Some teams have raw talent,. and it must take a couple years to convert that raw talent into winning machines. Pacers might just be on their way. OKC did it.

goNYgoNYgo
11-09-2011, 12:58 PM
wait....what? who? where? r we making a speculation thread that does not include the knicks. i'm out this *****.

Sinestro
11-09-2011, 01:09 PM
They need a star player IMO or all develop a lot

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 01:13 PM
2012. No way. But in 2-3 years, perhaps.
Same with the kings. It will take a few years to adjust their dominance and perfect it. Some teams have raw talent,. and it must take a couple years to convert that raw talent into winning machines. Pacers might just be on their way. OKC did it.

what would their rating in 2k12 be? lol

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 01:13 PM
They need a star player IMO or all develop a lot

this

Birdmannn
11-09-2011, 04:04 PM
If they are against the same bulls team they might hit the second round...

GhostfaceDrilla
11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Playoffs? Without a doubt in my mind.

Contenders? No.

They do need to get a PF though. Psycho T is a bench player. Sign David West and they get better.

ombada
11-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I highly doubt they throw that much money at West and i dont think they sign crawford at all.

The Pacers finally have cap space after being in cap hell for 3-4 years. they will manage their money to give them flexibility for years to come. I do think they will go for West, Nene or even possibly gasol this year, but i doubt they will be foolish enough to spend all their excess cap on two players in one offseason. There will be a better FA class next year.

Also i believe that they have a bit more than that to spend (i remember reports of nearly 30 million) if you would be so kind as to post where you got those cap numbers from, then i could try to make up a better scenario for them.

Finally let me repeat what ive said in other threads. This starting line-up is very young. Collison is going into his 3rd year, George into his second, Granger into his 8th, Hansbrough into his 3rd and Hibbert into his 4th. Also keep in mind that the team was over .500 after Frank Vogel took over and they went out of their way to hire him a very good coaching staff for this upcoming season.(Brian Shaw, Dan Burke, Jim Boylan)

After saying all this, in a weak eastern conference, my guess is that they are a 4-7 seed, will be an over .500 team and can definitely make a push into the second round.

DoMeFavors
11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Paying 12-13 Million for 5 years to a man who just tore his ACL would be an awful move. I think Kris Humphries will be a Pacer he will most likely get the money from Indiana and him and Granger are really good frien ds.

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Paying 12-13 Million for 5 years to a man who just tore his ACL would be an awful move. I think Kris Humphries will be a Pacer he will most likely get the money from Indiana and him and Granger are really good frien ds.

they need a scorer, i dont think its best to go get a pure rebounder

they probably will throw 10 million at best at west, but again, my thing is just a mock

xxplayerxx23
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
Im really angry you didnt put the Knicks as title contenders :[

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 07:14 PM
Im really angry you didnt put the Knicks as title contenders :[

maybe 8 years from now when they finish clearing cap space for rose and durant, praying for them to save their franchize

da ThRONe
11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I see no reason why that team can't earn a 6th-8th seed.

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I see no reason why that team can't earn a 6th-8th seed.

definitely, i see 6th seed or higher

GoPacers33
11-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Loving the pacers love :D

RekeHavoc
11-09-2011, 09:52 PM
Loving the pacers love :D

im going to make threads regarding other "small market" teams in the future, ive had enough of all the lakers,bulls,heat talk etc

time for people to talk about the other guys!

GoPacers33
11-09-2011, 10:01 PM
im going to make threads regarding other "small market" teams in the future, ive had enough of all the lakers,bulls,heat talk etc

time for people to talk about the other guys!

Amen

JasonJohnHorn
11-10-2011, 01:08 AM
All they needed to improve last year was a new coach. They were right in there with the Bulls in that first-round series, and a couple calls going the other way could have changed the face of the playoffs.

They have great players at nearly every position, and young guys that are improving. Throw in a seasoned vet or two, and this team has what they need to compete with the best in the league.

RekeHavoc
11-10-2011, 08:58 AM
All they needed to improve last year was a new coach. They were right in there with the Bulls in that first-round series, and a couple calls going the other way could have changed the face of the playoffs.

They have great players at nearly every position, and young guys that are improving. Throw in a seasoned vet or two, and this team has what they need to compete with the best in the league.

lol, i think ur getting a little ahead of urself

they have 4 good young players:collison,hibbert, hansborough,george.

and 1 very good player:granger

a couple of calls and you would ave been facing the MVP in a game 7 at home :hide: :speechless:

abe_froman
11-10-2011, 09:24 AM
west would be a bad move,30 and good/not great,not enough to overpay to get him there.besides i like psycho t he started turning it around last year after the coaching change...and like his heart.keep him as starter,upgrade sg(like hill but need better than that).with that said 5-8 seed,a tough out for anyone who faces them but not a contender