PDA

View Full Version : Will the 2 sides come to a agreement on BRI today?

D-Block21-Chito
11-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Will there be positive news today?!?!

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:06 AM
there already is BRI news... 50-50 is the split... question is about the system.

will the league do enough about the system to interest the players in signing off on 50-50

MrfadeawayJB
11-09-2011, 11:07 AM
I hope so but i'm not that optomistic

AndyfromNeptune
11-09-2011, 11:12 AM
I really hope there is news.

Does anyone follow this stuff on twitter?

What are the experts saying??

VillaMaravilla
11-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I hope so but i doubt it

airronijordan
11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I fell for this trap too many times, I don't think Stern will make any more concessions therefore i say NO DEAL

likemystylez
11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
LOL its an odd question, because it sounds like the players are willing to meet the leagues offer on BRI, its the system that becomes the problem.

mttwlsn16
11-09-2011, 11:21 AM
doubt it lol

pebloemer
11-09-2011, 11:31 AM
LOL its an odd question, because it sounds like the players are willing to meet the leagues offer on BRI, its the system that becomes the problem.

And wasn't it just a week or two ago that they were stuck on BRI and were able to make progress on the system while ignoring the stalemate on BRI?

justinnum1
11-09-2011, 11:32 AM
I say it gets done today and FA starts monday

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:36 AM
And wasn't it just a week or two ago that they were stuck on BRI and were able to make progress on the system while ignoring the stalemate on BRI?

yup. my guess is that the feedback they got from players is that 50-50 is okay... so now the union is just fighting for something (anything)

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:37 AM
hell it has even crossed my mind that the union may take this deal today no matter what and that all of this has been a show to try to get a little something out of the owners.

The outspoken players have been pretty quiet since the union's announcement yesterday... a little too quite.

D-Block21-Chito
11-09-2011, 11:43 AM
I never asked if anyone thought a deal would be made but the REAL question being... At the end of the day will they be able to say we have agreed on 50-50 bri

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
not without a deal.

The players will agree to 50-50 ONLY if the owners move on some system issues.

I cannot see any scenario where the players give up 50-50 without a deal on everything else in place.

All or nothing today

justinnum1
11-09-2011, 11:52 AM
agreed, i can see stern wokring the phones trying to get the owner votes

50-50, and very similar system as today. Everyone gets to use mle. and a fair tax system.

algreek3
11-09-2011, 11:52 AM
The poll should change.
50/50 BRI is already agreed upon, pretty much.

Poll should read, will they agree to the rest of the sytem.

DwayneMVPwade
11-09-2011, 11:57 AM
doubt it.

Ill21
11-09-2011, 11:58 AM
Will there be positive news today?!?!

They all ready agreed on BRI its now about system issues.

THE MTL
11-09-2011, 11:58 AM
It depends on the owners. The players want system changes.

I think its ******** how the owners have won every battle! Okay, you got back over 3 billion in revenue...let the players have a better system. Seriously, you cant win EVERYTHING!!!

Btw, this whole communism thing where they try to make the league equal is going to be the downfall of the NBA! No one will watch a finals that features Bobcats vs. Wolves. Cavs and Spurs was disgusting in 2006.

aztr0
11-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Doubt anything will happen. Stern doesn't seem to be playing around with his ultimatum for the 50-50 split.

itsripcity32
11-09-2011, 01:14 PM

I think its ******** how the owners have won every battle! Okay, you got back over 3 billion in revenue...let the players have a better system. Seriously, you cant win EVERYTHING!!!

Btw, this whole communism thing where they try to make the league equal is going to be the downfall of the NBA! No one will watch a finals that features Bobcats vs. Wolves. Cavs and Spurs was disgusting in 2006.
I'd rather watch that than see the Knicks get swept like last season against te celtics. Ahah.

beliges
11-09-2011, 01:20 PM

The fact that the owners are willing to give the players anything close to 50% of the BRI is a victory for the players. There is no way in hell that the owners deserve to be making their money on their contract and on top of that make more profit than the owners. This entire thing is just silly and the owners will not make any more concessions. Either the players agree or they dont get paid. The players can want and demand anything they want but they are not owners and they do not make the final say.

beasted86
11-09-2011, 01:21 PM
The players have come down to a 50/50 revenue split if they get the system they want, kicking back more per season than the $300 million the owners claim to have lost last year. But as a trade-off, the players want more freedom of movement and a system more like what the league has had for more than a decade. Small market owners — your hardliners — have been pushing for a system that would rein in big-spending teams.

They are going to sit down and they are going to talk. We’ll see if it’s enough, or if it is Armageddon.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/09/report-stern-has-authority-to-%e2%80%9ctweak%e2%80%9d-owners-offer?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It's been reported players can agree to the 50/50 BRI with the right system. Fisher said yesterday in the press conference it is about the system.

Wes_Craven
11-09-2011, 02:13 PM
The fact that the owners are willing to give the players anything close to 50% of the BRI is a victory for the players. There is no way in hell that the owners deserve to be making their money on their contract and on top of that make more profit than the owners. This entire thing is just silly and the owners will not make any more concessions. Either the players agree or they dont get paid. The players can want and demand anything they want but they are not owners and they do not make the final say.

Players generate 100% of BASKETBALL Related Income. You can't blame them for wanting more than a 50-50 split, that money is THEIRS. The owners want to dig into the money ALL the players bring in to make up for their mistakes, i.e. the Gilbert Arenas/Joe Johnson contracts.

However, players get paid regardless of how they perform/play, and even without a 50-50 split of BRI or even a split in their(the players) favor, they would still get paid millions of dollars, the BRI is just a bonus, but its split up among a larger group of players than of the owners.

Example: 50% of $1 billion is $500 million to each side. $500 million split among 30 owners, $500 million split among 450 PLAYERS!!! PLUS the fact that the owners take off $200-$300 million off the top before anything is split.

You can't blame the upper echelon of players(the SUPERSTARS, i.e. Lebron, Wade, Pierce, KG, Kobe, etc.) for being the holdout in talks and wanting a higher percentage than what the league is offering, because they produce the MAJORITY of BRI. After all, I see a lot more Paul Pierce jerseys being worn than Eddy Curry ones.

SteBO
11-09-2011, 02:26 PM
been through this 15 million times. We'll see what happens....

GiantsSwaGG
11-09-2011, 02:28 PM
:facepalm:Are you seriously asking this question?

The answer is Hell no. There won't be an NBA season. Both sides are ignorant & have already proven that their pride is more important than a NBA season.

Antipod
11-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Just waiting for the season to be officially canceled

iggypop123
11-09-2011, 02:47 PM
its not bri its system. from what im hearing so far doesnt look like it. stern is willing to tweak, players want changes. don know if that info is leaking to the media as posture but it doesnt look good.

D-Block21-Chito
11-09-2011, 03:05 PM
:facepalm:Are you seriously asking this question?

The answer is Hell no. There won't be an NBA season. Both sides are ignorant & have already proven that their pride is more important than a NBA season.

Go face palm your mom! You don't like the question leave the room!!!

ShakeN'Bake
11-09-2011, 03:08 PM
Just waiting for the season to be officially canceled

Ya I am starting to get that feeling as well.

Tom Stone
11-09-2011, 03:28 PM
The owners will probably give the 5 mill dollar exception for tax paying teams and allow the sign and trade for tax payers .... but will want to keep the harsher penalty's for teams that exceed the tax after 3 years in a row....if the owners offer this, the players should take it

GiantsSwaGG
11-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Go face palm your mom! You don't like the question leave the room!!!

:facepalm:I'd prefer yours but stay classy kid!

nate2usmc
11-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Can't we all just get along!! :cry:

Lockout got everyone in a :mad: mood, including me lol

D-Block21-Chito
11-09-2011, 04:09 PM
^ I will be happy when lockout ends. I just don't like the fact that everyone is on the same side on something. We need this fixed ASAP so I can go back to *****ing at each other for good reason like why the New York Knicks stink! lol

Celticsfan2007
11-09-2011, 04:21 PM
just waiting for the season to be officially canceled

qft

nate2usmc
11-09-2011, 04:21 PM
^ I will be happy when lockout ends. I just don't like the fact that everyone is on the same side on something. We need this fixed ASAP so I can go back to *****ing at each other for good reason like why the New York Knicks stink! lol

Hey easssyyyy killer :no:

beliges
11-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Players generate 100% of BASKETBALL Related Income. You can't blame them for wanting more than a 50-50 split, that money is THEIRS. The owners want to dig into the money ALL the players bring in to make up for their mistakes, i.e. the Gilbert Arenas/Joe Johnson contracts.

However, players get paid regardless of how they perform/play, and even without a 50-50 split of BRI or even a split in their(the players) favor, they would still get paid millions of dollars, the BRI is just a bonus, but its split up among a larger group of players than of the owners.

Example: 50% of $1 billion is $500 million to each side. $500 million split among 30 owners, $500 million split among 450 PLAYERS!!! PLUS the fact that the owners take off $200-$300 million off the top before anything is split.

You can't blame the upper echelon of players(the SUPERSTARS, i.e. Lebron, Wade, Pierce, KG, Kobe, etc.) for being the holdout in talks and wanting a higher percentage than what the league is offering, because they produce the MAJORITY of BRI. After all, I see a lot more Paul Pierce jerseys being worn than Eddy Curry ones.

Actually the reason why the players generate so much money is because of the investments the owners make. If it wasnt for the owners, there would be no huge arenas, no endorsement deals, no televised games, no world-wide notoriety and thus no money. If it wasnt for the owners, you would not have heard about 97% of the NBA players. And lastly, its not the "players' money" as you like to think it is but rather its the owners' money. Its the money they invest in order to run the franchise and the profits they generate from their investment is their return. The players' money is the money they get when they sign their contracts. The fact that the players are receiving anywhere near the same amount of money that the owners are receiving is beyond me. The owners are the owners, not the players. As I have said in the past, if the players want to make the same money as the owners do, then they should use their own hundreds of millions of dollars and invest in owning a franchise.

Punk
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
You all do realize the players have agreed to come down from 52% to 50% right?

BRI can be agreed too if the owners can agree to make some concessions on the luxury tax and rules to the tax.

Knickfansince97
11-09-2011, 05:38 PM

Pure hater lol

Kevj77
11-09-2011, 06:04 PM
These appear to be the system issues that are already agreed upon and wht is still in question.

Common Ground

• The "Super Tax": Both the players and owners have agreed, in part, on a punitive tax for teams that exceed the luxury-tax threshold. For every dollar -- up to $5 million -- that a team goes over the limit, it pays a $1.50 tax. In the previous CBA, it was dollar for dollar. Moreover, the two sides have agreed that the tax will get incrementally larger every $5 million.

• The Larry Bird exception: Both sides have agreed that the Bird exception -- a provision that allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents -- will remain the same.

• Length of player contracts: Previously, a team could sign its own free agent for six years and an outside free agent for five. The players have agreed to reduce those numbers to five and four.

• Minimum team salary: The minimum team salary must be 85 percent of the salary cap.

• Amnesty clause: A team may waive one player and not have that player's contract count against the cap. That clause may be used at any time over the life of the collective bargaining agreement.

• Injury exception: In the event of a season-ending injury, a team will be given a one-year, $5 million exception to replace an injured player.

• Restricted free agency: A team will have three days to match offers on restricted free agents. Previously, a team had seven.

• "Stretch" contracts: Teams may waive players and stretch the payments of the guaranteed money over a period two times the remaining years plus one.

Battle Ground

• Luxury tax: Two key issues remain in dispute:

A. The NBA has proposed that if a team goes into the luxury tax more than three out of every five years, it will be hit with an extra $1 penalty tax in addition to what it is paying in the super tax.

B. If a team breaks the tax threshold by $1, it forfeits its share of the tax money. Put simply, only non-taxpayers get any money back

The union opposes both provisions for the same reason: It discourages teams from going into the luxury tax.

• Mid-level exception: As the NBA has stated, the two sides have agreed to reduce the mid-level exception from $5.8 million to $5 million. However, the NBA wants any team that uses the mid-level to be limited to three-year deals. If a team is paying the luxury tax, the NBA's proposal calls for that team to lose the full mid-level and be limited to a smaller, $2.5 million exception. The players believe this both hurts the middle class and discourages teams from spending into the luxury tax.

• Qualifying offers: Players want more lucrative offers. Ownership wants them to stay the same.

• Escrow: The NBA is seeking escrow protection -- believed to be 10 percent -- which would, in essence, guarantee the league hits its target BRI number. Players have offered to increase the escrow to a band of 8-10 percent.

• Sign-and-trades: The NBA proposal prohibits taxpaying teams from executing sign-and-trades. The players are against that.

• Trade exceptions: The players want them increased. The NBA wants them to stay the same.

• Rookie contracts: While the rookie wage scale would stay the same, the union has pushed for incentivizing contracts to give elite rookies the opportunity to make more money quicker.

• Annual raises: Under the terms of the last CBA, players with Bird rights were entitled to 10.5 percent raises and everyone else could receive 8.5 percent. The union has offered to reduce those raises to 7.5 percent/6.5 percent while the NBA's offer was 5.5 percent/3 percent.

• Salary-cap holds: The union wants them lower. The NBA wants them to stay the same.The player are willing to accept the 50/50 BRI split if they get some concessions on the battle ground issues. A 50/50 BRI split is an owners victory. The owners have won on shorter contracts and a progressive "Super Tax". Players are also willing to take smaller raises and reduce the value of the MLE to 5 million. Honestly the owners have won every issue it's just a matter of how much they have to win by to make a deal.

It seems the biggest issues the players talked about yesterday were luxury tax teams using the MLE and being able to sign and trade.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/chris_mannix/11/08/players.lockout/index.html?sct=nba_t11_a0

gotoHcarolina52
11-09-2011, 06:38 PM
It's going to happen :win:

Tom Stone
11-09-2011, 06:44 PM
These appear to be the system issues that are already agreed upon and wht is still in question.

The player are willing to accept the 50/50 BRI split if they get some concessions on the battle ground issues. A 50/50 BRI split is an owners victory. The owners have won on shorter contracts and a progressive "Super Tax". Players are also willing to take smaller raises and reduce the value of the MLE to 5 million. Honestly the owners have won every issue it's just a matter of how much they have to win by to make a deal.

It seems the biggest issues the players talked about yesterday were luxury tax teams using the MLE and being able to sign and trade.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/chris_mannix/11/08/players.lockout/index.html?sct=nba_t11_a0

Wow, after reading everything, that has to agreed apon it's going to be tough.....the players are idiots, I still can't believe they are allowed to fight these points, on the un balancing the league ....trying to keep super teams being formed, by allowing the high market teams to have all these loop holes.......it's truly insulting to someone who understands the essence of sports........Any true fan doesn't care as much about the bri as we do about our teams having a fair chance to win.....ie (the system)......If we come out of this and all that happened is teams no longer will lose money, but the system still favors big markets.....then we lost as a society and it was all for nothing.

Kevj77
11-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Here is more information about the money side

Every percentage point equals $40 million

http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/10/18/getting.close.players.willing.go.down.52.percent.b ri.owners.willing.go.51.percent

If players agree to to 50 percent they are giving back (7*40=280) 280 million dollars per year. The NBA said teams lost 300 million this almost guarantees teams to break even.

Then add revenue sharing.

Sources say the league has made significant progress, in a series of conference calls in recent days, on the huge issue of revenue sharing. These talks concern some $150 million a year -- more than enough to make many money-losing teams profitable. As those talks near completion, revenue projections become much simpler for owners. For many, knowing they can address losses this way could help them warm to a new CBA.http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/33154/optimistic-notes-as-deadline-approaches

With a 50/50 split and revenue sharing no team should lose money unless they are completely mismanaged. The revenue side of this deal should be done.

daleja424
11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
each % point is worth 40 million this year... based on the leagues projections of growth... those points could be worth more than 60 million by year 10. Over the length of the deal, based on league growth projections, this deal would give back 3.5 billion dollars... an average of 350 million prer year.

Kevj77
11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Yes, I was merely trying to point out this deal would guarantee profits for the league not what it could be worth in 10 years.

daleja424
11-09-2011, 07:27 PM
okay. I'm just sharing with you the numbers the union/league are working with...

ink
11-09-2011, 10:00 PM
The whole punitive nature of the luxury tax is the only thing that comes close to the system change that's needed. Hopefully they do not give that (plus new MLE and S&T rules) up. Otherwise all they've done is traded in much needed change for cash. Doesn't matter how much cash it is since it's all abstract anyway. Basically cash will never amount to system improvements.

ClippersE.G
11-09-2011, 10:43 PM
It is so funny watching the media reporting, being optimistic...giving people hope and then BAM NO DEAL haha I am expecting this very thing later tonight just wait for it.

Oh and in the meanwhile you guys want jokes follow @FakeNBASeason
it is so funny Hahahhahhah

Wade>You
11-09-2011, 10:45 PM
The whole punitive nature of the luxury tax is the only thing that comes close to the system change that's needed. Hopefully they do not give that (plus new MLE and S&T rules) up. Otherwise all they've done is traded in much needed change for cash. Doesn't matter how much cash it is since it's all abstract anyway. Basically cash will never amount to system improvements.The only system change that's needed is sending the teams that don't contribute to the NBA to the D-League where MAYBE they can compete.