PDA

View Full Version : NBA Agent: Players will not sign with hardliners in future

daleja424
11-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Throughout these negotiations, there have been several owners who have been viewed as villains. They’ve been blamed by the fans and endlessly criticized, but cannot respond to the attacks because of the NBA’s gag order.

Paul Allen, one of the richest owners, has joined forces with the hardline owners and tried to intimidate the union with the silent treatment. Michael Jordan has also aligned himself with the hardline owners, leading the way according to several reports. Other owners such as Dan Gilbert, Robert Sarver and Peter Holt have also received plenty of criticism for their stances and strange quotes.

But fans aren’t the only ones upset with these owners. Players and agents are just as frustrated, and one agent tells HOOPSWORLD that they’ll remember their actions long after the lockout comes to an end.

“I don’t want any of my clients playing for Michael Jordan, Paul Allen, Robert Sarver, Dan Gilbert or Peter Holt,” said one agent. “We won’t sign with them, unless they’re willing to really overpay. That’s going to be the only way these hardline owners are going to land any free agents after the way they’ve handled these negotiations.”

These small-market teams have a hard enough time trying to attract free agents. It won’t be any easier now thanks to the way the hardline owners have been depicted throughout this process.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-unified-players-focus-on-system/

@AlexKennedyNBA Ha! I hadn't even see your piece yet--have seen other intimations of that sentiment last 48 hours.
https://twitter.com/#!/ZachLowe_SI

29$JerZ
11-09-2011, 10:24 AM
It was only a matter of time until this point was brought up.
If anything this just strengthen's big market teams chances of getting vet min players and such with their commitment to starting a season ASAP regardless of their own personal agenda for wanting the season to start.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Agent: Well no one offered you any contracts except Bobcats, Trailblazers, Suns, Cavs and Spurs.

Player: So what am I gonna do???

Agent: .......Can you play baseball?

daleja424
11-09-2011, 10:28 AM
The agent backs off the claim some... saying his clients will meet with them only if they are going to severely overpay. Point is this: If the money is at all comparable... peace out hardliners.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Agent: Hey the Knicks called and they offered you a 2 year deal worth $10 million.

Player: Great, has anyone else called?

Agent: The Cavs called as well and are offering you a 3 year deal worth $24 million.

Player: Awesome, tell the Cavs to fax over a contract and we can get this done today!

Agent: .......I already accepted the Knicks offer for you.....

Player: .........

daleja424
11-09-2011, 10:47 AM
lol... obviosuly this seems like a bluff to some extent...

but on the flip side...there ARE going to be some hard feelings towards certain owners/brands when this is all said and done.

Wouldn't be surprised, for example, if several players jumped to a new shoe brand...

likemystylez
11-09-2011, 10:53 AM
Agent: Hey the Knicks called and they offered you a 2 year deal worth $10 million.

Agent: The Cavs called as well and are offering you a 3 year deal worth $24 million.

Player: Awesome, tell the Cavs to fax over a contract and we can get this done today!

well yeah your right, but the cavs still lose even if that player signs with the cavs. They dont have as much money to spend and they are being forced to pay almost double what the big market teams like NY are. NY gets more good players for the same amount of money.... YAy and they have an easier time staying out of luxury tax.

nate2usmc
11-09-2011, 10:54 AM

LMAO. It does make sense. No discounts for small market teams though leading to more :cry: by them if players do take discounts to play in big market teams. Decision would be: working at an awesome place for slightly less than what you have made or work at a shity one for lots more $$.

likemystylez
11-09-2011, 10:55 AM
lol... obviosuly this seems like a bluff to some extent...

but on the flip side...there ARE going to be some hard feelings towards certain owners/brands when this is all said and done.

Wouldn't be surprised, for example, if several players jumped to a new shoe brand...

Not a bluff, but this will be a tuffer sell for those teams (atleast the first yr or 2 after the lock out). Arison did himself a great service with his tweets. Thats half a million well spent IMO..... because combined with the fact that his team will be contenders for the next 5 or 6 yrs.... players will want to be employed by his organization.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Agent: Wow, what a mess. Sorry we had to get you out of that $10 million Jordan Shoe brand contract. But don't worry about it, we got you already lined up with another brand......"Adidams"

Player: What?

Agent: Yeah. Its like Adidas, only its 13 cents less and has one extra stripe.

Player: Ok...how much is this contract for?

Agent: 10,000,000 Czech Koruna!!!!

Player: Great! How much is that in USD?

Agent: .....$545,000.

Player: .............

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
you can treat it all with sarcasm... but if you don;t think brands would be lining up to sign Wade, Melo, CP3, etc away from Jordan you are out of your mind.

airronijordan
11-09-2011, 11:09 AM
you can treat it all with sarcasm... but if you don;t think brands would be lining up to sign Wade, Melo, CP3, etc away from Jordan you are out of your mind.

x2

Cal827
11-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I don't mean to insult anybody, but does anybody really see Cleveland/Phoenix lasting so long as Gilbert/Sarver is owner? They are small market teams and are realllly going to have to overpay to get players to go there (and that's compounded for the Cavs from the Lebron Letter). Irving and Thompson might already be planning their departure already, which would mean in the next few years, they'll have to go through this all over again. Phoenix has one player that is still drawing fans (Nash) and Sarver has basically let a contender leave cause he wouldn't pay (for example, Amar'e would've resigned if Sarver opened his wallet).

I think a team like the Bobcats might be saved on Jordan's name. Yes, he's turned his back on the players that he fought for in the past, but his name is on a ton of records in this league, and just like his issues when he was playing, this might be swept under the rug.

Cal827
11-09-2011, 11:10 AM

lol :clap:

Slug3
11-09-2011, 11:11 AM
I did bring this up the other day as I was wondering if any players were going to hold it against the hardline owners. I guess they might after all.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm sure Wade, Melo, CP3 ect will all love to change brands for less money.

Look, sarcasm aside, its all a bluff. If you don't think so you are delusional. Players can't break contracts from their respective shoe brand endorsement to sign with others unless they have an out clause of some sort in that said contract. Even when that contract expires you are out of your mind to even think that the players will sign a less lucrative deal for less money because they don't like M.Jordan. That would defeat the purpose of rigorously fighting for BRI's and system structure based on.....MONEY!

If Wade, Melo, CP3, ect's contracts expire and Jordan Brand is offering more money than Nike or Adidas, you better believe that they are staying with the Jordan Brand.

Heater4life
11-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I dont think it will affect shoe brands. But it definitely amplifies the same problems SM owners have been bickering about. On top of having less appealing cities, the owners are building the case of being mismanaged and counter productively frugal. Dan Gilbert is digging his own grave A) The way he handled the LBJ situation last year B) Now being a hardline frugal owner. Doesnt look good for the small market.

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm sure Wade, Melo, CP3 ect will all love to change brands for less money.

Look, sarcasm aside, its all a bluff. If you don't think so you are delusional. Players can't break contracts from their respective shoe brand endorsement to sign with others unless they have an out clause of some sort in that said contract. Even when that contract expires you are out of your mind to even think that the players will sign a less lucrative deal for less money because they don't like M.Jordan. That would defeat the purpose of rigorously fighting for BRI's and system structure based on.....MONEY!

If Wade, Melo, CP3, ect's contracts expire and Jordan Brand is offering more money than Nike or Adidas, you better believe that they are staying with the Jordan Brand.

You do realize that Jordan Brand is under the Nike Umbrella, and guys (like Wade) have already shown that it is possible to move between the companies (He shifted from Converse to Jordan a year or two ago... which was okay...b/c they are both Nike companies)...

:up:

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
Also, guys like Wade, Lebron, and Bosh have already proven that it is not all about money.

IN FACT the players have offered to take a 12% pay cut for a favorable system...

The players have really proven you wrong at all turns...

Sometimes it isn't all about the $$$, in fact, often times it isn't.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 11:18 AM
#1 rule in life is.....

Follow the $.

Players union wont take a lower BRI because they want more money. The Agents are lying when they say their clients wont sign with hardline owners because if their offer is more than someone elses offer, not only will the player lose money but the agent will lose money too as his $ is based on his clients $.

again....follow the $.

Don't buy this b.s.

MrfadeawayJB
11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
I dont think the players will really care, its more of the agents agenda. Also, smaller markets or non competing teams have always had to pay more for the services of a FA than larger market teams. What's the big deal? It's been happening for years

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 11:22 AM
Also, guys like Wade, Lebron, and Bosh have already proven that it is not all about money.

IN FACT the players have offered to take a 12% pay cut for a favorable system...

Because they all have made close to $100 million in the NBA already.

John Wall, Blake Griffen, Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving are allllll about the money.

Heater4life
11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Heres the ultimate question: If NBA ratings were phenomenal last season and the small markets on the bottom end are STILL losing money, why not cut off the bad limbs?

How can markets like San Antonio, OKC, Orlando be profitable yet Phoenix, Portland, Cleveland, etc... not be? Its all mismanagement. They fail to build a winning product and even when they do they grossly overpay. Cut the loose ends.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Heres the ultimate question: If NBA ratings were phenomenal last season and the small markets on the bottom end are STILL losing money, why not cut off the bad limbs?

How can markets like San Antonio, OKC, Orlando be profitable yet Phoenix, Portland, Cleveland, etc... not be? Its all mismanagement. They fail to build a winning product and even when they do they grossly overpay. Cut the loose ends.

According to owners the system structure is flawed and needs a drastic face-lift.

The expiring collective bargaining agreement created a broken system that produced huge financial losses for our teams. We need a sustainable business model that allows all 30 teams to be able to compete for a championship, fairly compensates our players, and provides teams, if well-managed, with an opportunity to be profitable.

We have made several proposals to the union, including a deal targeting $2 billion annually as the players' share -- an average of approximately $5 million per player that could increase along with league revenue growth. Elements of our proposal would also better align players' pay with performance.

We will continue to make every effort to reach a new agreement that is fair and in the best interests of our teams, our players, our fans, and our game.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 11:30 AM
The same player agents that are b.itching are the same ones that are wishing everyone had a contract like Gilbert Arenas.

Dankster
11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Well this seems like a logical reaction at THIS current moment. It'll be interesting to see if this animosity holds up after a year. Peoples anger tends to subside with time but I always thought the way these negotiations were going that it was going to leave a sour taste in both parties involved.

The real losers in this whole melee are the fans of these small market teams; their level of success will be predicated more on how they draft and resign their players (ie: Okc.) It'll make things that much harder for any level of parity to actually occur.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2011, 11:35 AM
that's cute and all, but money talks. Players will go to the teams that want them and will pay them.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2011, 11:38 AM

Their previous contracts paid them enough to live off forever. Remember, for every LeBron, there are 10 Brian Cardinals and Anthony Tolliver's. Guys who need to max out their earnings every year.

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Their previous contracts paid them enough to live off forever. Remember, for every LeBron, there are 10 Brian Cardinals and Anthony Tolliver's. Guys who need to max out their earnings every year.

But the hardliners are not fighting over the Brian Cardinals... they want stars... they want to be competitive.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2011, 11:49 AM
But the hardliners are not fighting over the Brian Cardinals... they want stars... they want to be competitive.

obviously. As I said, in majority cases, money talks. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh are a very unique case. Most guys aren't going to do that. They will weigh both winning and money, and many of them factor in money as more important.

Besides, small market teams rarely get the star free agents anyways. Nothing will change in that regard.

beasted86
11-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Um, guys.... this is not news. This is nothing new.

Never in the history of the NBA have players taken a big discount to go and play in cities like Cleveland, Minnesota, Memphis, Milwaukee, etc... But they have taken discounts to play in LA, Chicago, Boston, etc..

Small market teams will continue to pay full market value, or above it to keep or sign players. That isn't going to be compounded by this lockout.

THE MTL
11-09-2011, 12:04 PM
I wouldnt sign with a small market team after the way they handled the lockout. Seriously they have shown that they DONT GIVE A ****** about the players. I wouldnt want to play for someone like that.

Michael Jordan is being such an a$$hole. But he is the same fool who picked Kwame Brown 1st overall and signed Tyrus Thomas to 5yr 40 million per year when NO ONE was going to offer him anywhere near that. And the owner from the Wolves, signed Darko to 5 million per year! Who the hell was going to give Darko that money?

THE MTL
11-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Um, guys.... this is not news. This is nothing new.

Never in the history of the NBA have players taken a big discount to go and play in cities like Cleveland, Minnesota, Memphis, Milwaukee, etc... But they have taken discounts to play in LA, Chicago, Boston, etc..

Small market teams will continue to pay full market value, or above it to keep or sign players. That isn't going to be compounded by this lockout.

I think it is going to be compounded by the lockout. With the lower salary range, it makes the intangibles of a big market team more appealing. Also, Im pretty sure the players do feel some sort of way towards hardline owners like Dan Gilbert. Plus, players are still going to want to play on good teams with good players, thus they will take even more of a discount to play on these good teams.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 12:11 PM
I just heard that David Stern has enough backing to make some last minute changes to the proposal for this afternoons meeting.

I guess this is good news, right?

beasted86
11-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I think it is going to be compounded by the lockout. With the lower salary range, it makes the intangibles of a big market team more appealing. Also, Im pretty sure the players do feel some sort of way towards hardline owners like Dan Gilbert. Plus, players are still going to want to play on good teams with good players, thus they will take even more of a discount to play on these good teams.

You already hit the nail on the head here.

Players want to play on good teams, and teams like the Cavs and so forth are never good unless they draft studs. They never get good by free agent signings or trades. Even when they make trades, it's mostly lateral moves and salary dumps for terribly overpaid players.

Just as an example, look how the Cavs tried to "build" around LeBron. Sign Larry Hughes & Drew Gooden to overpaid contracts.... trade their overpaid contracts for more overpaid guys in Szczerbiak and Ben Wallace.... trade Ben Wallace and Sasha Pavlovics overpaid contracts, for a way past prime overpaid Shaquille O'Neal.

At the end of the day, small market teams will overpay no matter what. This wasn't new, nor will be drastically compounded by their lockout stance. They were already overpaying in free agency, and overpaying again by having to take bad contracts in trades because nobody wants to play there.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I wouldnt sign with a small market team after the way they handled the lockout. Seriously they have shown that they DONT GIVE A ****** about the players. I wouldnt want to play for someone like that.

Michael Jordan is being such an a$$hole. But he is the same fool who picked Kwame Brown 1st overall and signed Tyrus Thomas to 5yr 40 million per year when NO ONE was going to offer him anywhere near that. And the owner from the Wolves, signed Darko to 5 million per year! Who the hell was going to give Darko that money?

so you would prefer to not play over playing in a small market?

Honestly, none of this is new. Most superstars didn't want to play for small market teams anyways. And the guys below them will take the money and play for whatever teams will sign them.

Business as usual, this is just an attempted leverage move.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2011, 12:19 PM
when you start taking business personal, bad things can happen.

ink
11-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Agent: Well no one offered you any contracts except Bobcats, Trailblazers, Suns, Cavs and Spurs.

This.

ink
11-09-2011, 12:35 PM

And this.

ink
11-09-2011, 12:36 PM
I just heard that David Stern has enough backing to make some last minute changes to the proposal for this afternoons meeting.

I guess this is good news, right?

Contrary to the way he's portrayed as the villain, he's probably finding a way to mediate between the strongly opposed positions of the players and the owners. He's trying to make a compromise even though the compromise deal we have is already fairly weak.

Da Knicks
11-09-2011, 12:37 PM

Yeah i agree with this, however Jordan imo really is messing up with all his quotes. I really thought this was an oppurtunity for him to get the players on his side and try to get some stars to sign with his team. I could really see Melo and Cp3 leaving the Jordan company since they could just go striaght with Nike since Nike owns the Jordan brand.

nate2usmc
11-09-2011, 12:39 PM

This. It's business.

iliketurtles24
11-09-2011, 12:46 PM
good thing my owner hasnt been a dick... according to some ppl at least

sunnydayin'zona
11-09-2011, 12:51 PM
I don't mean to insult anybody, but does anybody really see Cleveland/Phoenix lasting so long as Gilbert/Sarver is owner? They are small market teams and are realllly going to have to overpay to get players to go there (and that's compounded for the Cavs from the Lebron Letter). Irving and Thompson might already be planning their departure already, which would mean in the next few years, they'll have to go through this all over again. Phoenix has one player that is still drawing fans (Nash) and Sarver has basically let a contender leave cause he wouldn't pay (for example, Amar'e would've resigned if Sarver opened his wallet).

I think a team like the Bobcats might be saved on Jordan's name. Yes, he's turned his back on the players that he fought for in the past, but his name is on a ton of records in this league, and just like his issues when he was playing, this might be swept under the rug.

Phoenix isn't a small market team... ?

Badluck33
Contrary to the way he's portrayed as the villain, he's probably finding a way to mediate between the strongly opposed positions of the players and the owners. He's trying to make a compromise even though the compromise deal we have is already fairly weak.

No! He's racist bigot who runs a plantation full of NBA players! If the lock out ends the plantation will be shut down and his livelihood will be financially destroyed!

David Stern hates white people!

:rolleyes:

aztr0
The players will go where the money is offered. You're telling me if the player has no other offers, he won't play for these hardliners if they were the only team to give them an offer? That's dumb.

Sinestro
11-09-2011, 12:59 PM
If I was a star in the NBA or a midlevel/good role player I wouldn't want to play for the hardliners...I understand a lot of people say follow the money but to an extent you have to follow some kind of principles and I wouldn't want to work for some guy who tried to strong arm me into submission

Cosmic_Canon
11-09-2011, 01:04 PM
well yeah your right, but the cavs still lose even if that player signs with the cavs. They dont have as much money to spend and they are being forced to pay almost double what the big market teams like NY are. NY gets more good players for the same amount of money.... YAy and they have an easier time staying out of luxury tax.

FALSE
From '08 - '10, Cleveland had the top 5 highest payroll. At the end of the day, there's a salary cap, whether or not the owner IS WILLING to pay the luxury tax is another story. Every team has the same amount of money to play with, it's all about managing that cap(see Knicks and Heat recently).

Rosh
11-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Awesome.

GodsSon
11-09-2011, 01:47 PM
So basically what this tells me is that the players are willing to whore themselves out if the price is right?

"We won't sign with the hardline owners in the future...unless of course, they severely overpay, at which point, our principles go out the door in favour of the almighty dollar :D".

These guys are all greedy and full of ****. This article just further strengthens that.

Arch Stanton
11-09-2011, 03:34 PM
That seems like an emotional statement from the Agent. I'm not saying that "players" won't react and not sign with such teams. But in 5 years the NBA will have a whole new group of young talent and the "players" who were peeved will be closer to the end of their careers.
Besides it's not like it makes a difference for Dan Gilbert and Cleveland. He couldn't get players to come to Cleveland even when LeBron played for the Cavs.

ShakeN'Bake
11-09-2011, 03:44 PM
This type of stance will only last for a season, if that. Just seems ridiculous. I am not a big fan of when agents starting talking outside of a negotiation room.

topdog
11-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't really think it makes any difference. It already is a situation where small-market owners have to offer more than large-markets to get a player. Players have shown that they are going to go where the money is best.

Arch Stanton
11-09-2011, 03:59 PM
JasonLloydABJ Jason Lloyd
It's amusing ESPN says Dan Gilbert no longer a hardline owner and is now more "moderate." Truth is, he never was as hardline as portrayed

SteBO
11-09-2011, 04:00 PM
I don't really think it makes any difference. It already is a situation where small-market owners have to offer more than large-markets to get a player. Players have shown that they are going to go where the money is best.
This gets lost a lot of times. But it does depend on the player ultimately and where his priorities lie. Not every player is guaranteed to go where money is best, but again, it depends.....

Giraffes Rule
11-09-2011, 04:06 PM
I haven't been following the lockout closely, and maybe I'm a bit of a homer, but what exactly did Peter Holt do? From a quick google, I know he's the head of the labor committee, but I can't find much else.

topdog
11-09-2011, 04:14 PM
This gets lost a lot of times. But it does depend on the player ultimately and where his priorities lie. Not every player is guaranteed to go where money is best, but again, it depends.....

Much of the time, money is the primary factor. And it's not just contract money but also endorsement money, ect. As players get older, ability to win a championship does become a more prominent factor.

But, essentially, I don't see this as much more than a new flavor on an old practice: small markets generally will have to put up more money to attract FAs because they do not have the same endorsement value and generally are further from contention.

topdog
11-09-2011, 04:14 PM
I haven't been following the lockout closely, and maybe I'm a bit of a homer, but what exactly did Peter Holt do? From a quick google, I know he's the head of the labor committee, but I can't find much else.

All I really recall is him heading up the multi-year amnesty clause...

SteBO
11-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Much of the time, money is the primary factor. And it's not just contract money but also endorsement money, ect. As players get older, ability to win a championship does become a more prominent factor.

But, essentially, I don't see this as much more than a new flavor on an old practice: small markets generally will have to put up more money to attract FAs because they do not have the same endorsement value and generally are further from contention.
I agree. There have been many cases where guys go for little money on a contender, look good around the stars they play with, and then bolt the next year for a bigger payday in a smaller market the following year.

All in all, they'll look to grab as much money as they can early, then ring chase later on in their careers as you mentioned.....

daleja424
11-09-2011, 07:20 PM
JasonLloydABJ Jason Lloyd
It's amusing ESPN says Dan Gilbert no longer a hardline owner and is now more "moderate." Truth is, he never was as hardline as portrayed

:clap::clap::clap:

I heard he was a 50-50 guy... once the players came there... he was with the pro deal group.

I misjudged him perhaps!

Wade>You
11-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Micky Arison lawlz at David Stern's fines. Well worth every penny.

gwrighter
11-09-2011, 10:11 PM
LOL the agent needs to STFU.

Agents make money DIRECTLY off of the salary. They are not going to turn down an offer for more $$ no matter where it's from, unless the player is a ring chaser.

Not only is that irrational, but that's a big FU to the fans.

These players just need to give in. If they are resorting to saying "we won't sign with you after" then they obviously have no rational argument to back up there stance.

da ThRONe
11-09-2011, 10:22 PM
This is super childish and won't be a factor at all once the dust settles. Agent will try to get their cleints the best deal reguardless where it is. The players already don't want to play in the cities where the owners are hardline and that's why those owners a taking the position the are right now. The whole idea they'll have to overpay oh you mean like Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson, Emeka Okafor, etc.. This is already the case with the league and the main reason a soft cap system just doesn't work.

gwrighter
11-09-2011, 10:27 PM
This is super childish and won't be a factor at all once the dust settles. Agent will try to get their cleints the best deal reguardless where it is. The players already don't want to play in the cities where the owners are hardline and that's why those owners a taking the position the are right now. The whole idea they'll have to overpay oh you mean like Rudy Gay, Joe Johnson, Emeka Okafor, etc.. This is already the case with the league and the main reason a soft cap system just doesn't work.

bang on man.

what was said is borderline stupid & is an insult to us as fans. Not only do they think we're stupid enough to believe this but they are saying screw you because i don't like you personally, lol. This is business.

ClippersE.G
11-09-2011, 10:42 PM
Riiiiight

Raph12
11-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Contraction, here we come...

Anilyzer
11-10-2011, 12:16 AM
The "hardline" owners (and I really don't consider MJ to be in the worst group) are going to have to deal with decisions they've made.

They hoped they'd be able to "strong arm" everything, and be able to prevent free agency and player movement all together.

Now that that DIDN'T happen, why would anyone want to go to teams where the owners have shown that they are hostile to the players, and think that the players are greedy, uppity serfs who shouldn't be treated so well? Why would anybody choose to go somewhere they don't feel welcome?

Just take one look at Gilbert's face after the Lebron decision, and why would you want THAT GUY as your owner or boss? *ugggghhh*

LA_Raiders
11-10-2011, 01:16 AM

lol

abe_froman
11-10-2011, 03:41 AM
some will be forced to from lack of offers from non hardliners,but no **** that no one would want to sign with them.i wouldnt,no one would want to work for a boss thats public and vocal about trying to stick it to you as bad as they can get away with

this were mj screwed himself(and the fanbase),reacting to the moment ,the talks...but forgetting they will eventually end.the lockout will be over and were he could attract players to his team based on the jordan mystique,he now will have the tag of miser and leader of why they dont have it as good as they did.he should have stayed quiet,in the background

TopsyTurvy
11-10-2011, 03:57 AM
Once the mistresses and baby mommas start complaining the league will get back to work. You can hate the man who signs your paycheck but you're certainly not going to tank your career over it.

Oefarmy2005
11-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Who gives a crap - the hardliners should as heck didn't make it worse for their team - simply because it couldn't get worse. The best player the Wolves have been able to sign in free agency - not counting aging Spree and Cassel - Mike James - seriously... I doubt guys like Glen Taylor are threatened by this stupid remark.

HiphopRelated
11-10-2011, 11:36 AM
bang on man.

what was said is borderline stupid & is an insult to us as fans. Not only do they think we're stupid enough to believe this but they are saying screw you because i don't like you personally, lol. This is business.
well since you don't care about the players, why should they care about you?

nice how that works

Giraffes Rule
11-10-2011, 12:02 PM

nice how that works

Because the fans are the ones paying their salaries. No fans = no league

Arch Stanton
11-10-2011, 03:41 PM
The "hardline" owners (and I really don't consider MJ to be in the worst group) are going to have to deal with decisions they've made.

They hoped they'd be able to "strong arm" everything, and be able to prevent free agency and player movement all together.

Now that that DIDN'T happen, why would anyone want to go to teams where the owners have shown that they are hostile to the players, and think that the players are greedy, uppity serfs who shouldn't be treated so well? Why would anybody choose to go somewhere they don't feel welcome?

Just take one look at Gilbert's face after the Lebron decision, and why would you want THAT GUY as your owner or boss? *ugggghhh*

Because he will pay you the money! And build a casino that attaches to the Q so you can go gamble all your money after the game.

gwrighter
11-10-2011, 03:46 PM

nice how that works

I do care about the players. But they are the highest compensated and among the best treated athletes in the world. No matter how this ends they will still be the highest paid athletes on the planet so what do they have to complain about?

What this agent has said is borderline illegal. This is an indirect form of extortion. Using threats outside the context of bargaining to facilitate an agreement is non-enforceable in a court of law. The owners are not threatening to collude & not offer guys max deals of they don't take the current CBA deal.