PDA

View Full Version : David Stern rips Union Lawyers (11/9 Update)

KnicksorBust
11-09-2011, 06:51 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7210085/nba-lockout-jeffrey-kessler-says-owners-treat-players-plantation-workers

Commissioner David Stern says union attorney Jeffrey Kessler is largely to blame for the NBA's stalled labor talks after Kessler told The Washington Post that the owners are treating the players "like plantation workers."

Instead of treating the players like partners, they're treating them like plantation workers.
-- Union attorney Jeffrey Kessler

Kessler, who also represented the NFL Players Association in their collective bargaining negotiations this summer, told The Post on Monday that the owners' latest offer to essentially split basketball-related income in half was not fair to the players. Stern said Sunday night that players had until the close of business Wednesday to accept the offer, or face a far stricter version.

"To present that in the context of 'take it or leave it,' in our view, that is not good faith," Kessler told the paper on Monday night before the union announced Tuesday it would not accept Stern's offer. "Instead of treating the players like partners, they're treating them like plantation workers."

Stern, in a phone call with The Post on Tuesday, called the labor situation "dire" and placed blame squarely on Kessler's shoulders.

"Kessler's agenda is always to inflame and not to make a deal," Stern told the paper, "even if it means injecting race and thereby insulting his own clients. ... He has been the single most divisive force in our negotiations and it doesn't surprise me he would rant and not talk about specifics. Kessler's conduct is routinely despicable."

NBA Lockout

The NBA owners have locked out the players, and little progress has been made in negotiations. ESPN.com Topics keeps you up to date with all of the latest on the NBA's ongoing lockout. Topics Page

A union source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher on Tuesday that Kessler will be reprimanded for bringing racial rhetoric into the negotiations. The union purposefully steered clear of recent remarks from HBO's Bryant Gumbel -- who compared Stern to a plantation owner -- and the source said the union is not happy, nor condones, that Kessler made a similar reference.

The union said Tuesday they could not agree to Stern's "ultimatum" offer, but would ask for another meeting with owners before Stern's Wednesday afternoon deadline in an attempt to end the lockout and save the season.

In an interview on NBA TV on Tuesday, Stern said that whether he agrees to meet "would be guided by the labor relations committee."

The league's current labor proposal calls for players to receive between 49 percent and 51 percent of basketball-related income, but Kessler said Sunday night the proposal was really 50.2 percent for the players and called the chance of them ever reaching 51 percent a "fraud" and an "illusion."

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Tom Stone
11-09-2011, 07:17 AM
I hate Kessler........he is an idiot.....on average the NBA players would be the highest paid athletes in the world, with the new CBA.........only a fool would bring race into it....another thing that bugs me is people refer to the situation as white owners vs black players.......it's insulting to the white players in the league, there are 15 people on a team 3 to 4 players are usually white, giving 20% - 30% of the league white players......this CBA is not about Race it's about business, and part of Kessler's bargaining strategy to make his clients mad by trying to bring race into it ....so the players won't think clearly, and it's becomes this pride thing.........Take the Deal Players....Don't let Kessler steer you down the wrong path.

Cosmic_Canon
11-09-2011, 07:44 AM
I hate Kessler........he is an idiot.....on average the NBA players would be the highest paid athletes in the world, with the new CBA.........only a fool would bring race into it....another thing that bugs me is people refer to the situation as white owners vs black players.......it's insulting to the white players in the league, there are 15 people on a team 3 to 4 players are usually white, giving 20% - 30% of the league white players......this CBA is not about Race it's about business, and part of Kessler's bargaining strategy to make his clients mad by trying to bring race into it ....so the players won't think clearly, and it's becomes this pride thing.........Take the Deal Players....Don't let Kessler steer you down the wrong path.

You do know that, there's 12 players on a NBA team compared to 40 in MLB and 50 in NFL?
W/ that said the NBAPA's PR is terrible, Stern is killing them in the press.

SteBO
11-09-2011, 08:44 AM
I think Kessler is taking it a little too far as well, and I do believe the players are willing to go 50-50 if the owners ease up on some of the system issues. Ball is in the owner's court now.

blahblahyoutoo
11-09-2011, 09:43 AM
You do know that, there's 12 players on a NBA team compared to 40 in MLB and 50 in NFL?

what's your point?

daleja424
11-09-2011, 09:55 AM
what's your point?

pretty obvious point...

The average NBA player plays a FAR more significant role in team's revenue and success on the court.

If you are looking team by team: The average NBA teams hands out FAR less salary than the average MLB or NFL team...which is a function of total revenue.

But on a team that has 12 players the revenue need only be split 12 ways... where as a team with 40 guys requires smaller splits.

The average NBA player is responsible for creating nearly two times the revenue the average football player creates... and yet only makes a slightly higher salary.

4 billion/450 players= 8.8 million revenue created, average salary will be 1.8 billion/450 players= 4 million, NBA player gets 45% of what they generate.

9 billion/1600 players= 5.6 million revenue created, average salary is 4.5 billion/1600= 2.8 million, NFL player gets 50% of what they generate.

*** all of my figures are really rough... no detailed numbers.

daleja424
11-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Anyways... I don't agree with the racial undertone of the quote...

Having said that, however, the message about partnership is spot on. Both sides need the other. Both sides will eventually have to work for and with one another again. The owners are acting like the players are replaceable... when we know that is far from the truth.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 10:06 AM
I love it when race is thrown into any subject. Proves that they are stupid white crackers.

kgformvp21
11-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Seriously, this is so ridiculous. They need to get this donem this is why the nba gets such a bad name.

Dundlenut
11-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I am on the owner sides for this. These NBA layers are starting to look ridiculous.

BigCityofDreams
11-09-2011, 11:31 AM
I am on the owner sides for this. These NBA layers are starting to look ridiculous.

The players are the ones willing to make concessions.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
The players are the ones willing to make concessions.

the owners made all the concessions in the previous 2 CBA's. They want their pie back now.

daleja424
11-09-2011, 11:41 AM
and they have gotten it all back... but if they demand a pie server as well... they may end up with pie on their face

I like these pie references!

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 12:06 PM
French Silk!

J4KOP99
11-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Damn, Stern continues to ruin the NBAPA in the press. Do not **** with that man.

Players look worse and worse every day and anybody that buys into that "race talk" is an absolute fool.

ink
11-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Kessler's approach absolutely reeks of desperation. No one should ever play the race card in a negotiation or anywhere else. I can understand an idiot like Gumbel doing it because his approach to media is to get people's attention. But Kessler is supposed to be working WITH his opposition on a deal. How do you do that when you've just slandered them in one of the worst ways possible? So dumb.

Badluck33
11-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Kessler's approach absolutely reeks of desperation. No one should ever play the race card in a negotiation or anywhere else. I can understand an idiot like Gumbel doing it because his approach to media is to get people's attention. But Kessler is supposed to be working WITH his opposition on a deal. How do you do that when you've just slandered them in one of the worst ways possible? So dumb.

As soon as soon as someone pulls the race card, they forfeit a legit argument.

nate2usmc
11-09-2011, 01:17 PM
As soon as soon as someone pulls the race card, they forfeit a legit argument.

this.

Heatcheck
11-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree with Kessler.

blahblahyoutoo
11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
they bring in more revenue, so therefore they make a higher salary. i don't see a problem.

regardless, you certainly can't expect to compare 2 different businesses and have proportional compensation to the players.

pretty obvious point...

The average NBA player plays a FAR more significant role in team's revenue and success on the court.

If you are looking team by team: The average NBA teams hands out FAR less salary than the average MLB or NFL team...which is a function of total revenue.

But on a team that has 12 players the revenue need only be split 12 ways... where as a team with 40 guys requires smaller splits.

The average NBA player is responsible for creating nearly two times the revenue the average football player creates... and yet only makes a slightly higher salary.

4 billion/450 players= 8.8 million revenue created, average salary will be 1.8 billion/450 players= 4 million, NBA player gets 45% of what they generate.

9 billion/1600 players= 5.6 million revenue created, average salary is 4.5 billion/1600= 2.8 million, NFL player gets 50% of what they generate.

*** all of my figures are really rough... no detailed numbers.

Punk
11-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Kessler is an idiot. He shot down every single proposal in the meeting Saturday/Sunday. He isn't helping at all. I hope he has no say so in today's meeting.

Sly Guy
11-09-2011, 02:39 PM

agreed. He's beating a drum that can only hurt his cause in the long run.

LA_Raiders
11-10-2011, 01:24 AM
lol, players are so stupid for listening to that joke *******...

take the deal...