PDA

View Full Version : For Anyone That Still Has Any Doubts As To Why Shaq Left LA......

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
An exerpt in the LA times from his book. So Shaq, Kobe, and Jerry West have all publicly given their accounts of what happened and they are all pretty much the same.....

According to the book, Kupchak promised to grant Shaq a contract extension following the 2003-04 season and not to discuss their contract negotiations publicly. Once the 2003-04 season ended, however, O'Neal was disturbed by an apparent interview in which Kupchak revealed the Lakers' plan to hold onto Bryant while keeping their options open with O'Neal.

"That was it. That was the end of me in a Lakers uniform. Mitch broke our agreement. How could I trust him again?" Shaq writes in the book. "For months, I kept waiting for Mitch to come to me and say, 'Shaq, you're getting older, we need some new players. Mr. Buss doesn't want to pay you and Kobe doesn't want you here.' But that conversation never happened. So that was when I demanded a trade. I couldn't trust Mitch anymore and it was clear Kobe was now the one with all the power."

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/11/shaquille-oneal-book-mitch-kupchak.html#tp

Kashmir13579
11-07-2011, 10:10 PM
what we all already know, but i cant wait for this book.

gwrighter
11-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I couldn't trust Mitch anymore and it was clear Kobe was now the one with all the power

this is good stuff:laugh2:

iggypop123
11-07-2011, 11:16 PM
shaq was a risky contract extension with his history of getting hurt and being fat. give dr buss credit, he made the right decision and it worked.

MTar786
11-07-2011, 11:31 PM
i liked shaq more than kobe at this stage but to be honest.. it was a SMART move by the lakers. Shaq was GREAT in 05 yes.. but very average in 06. and from 07 onwards he was trash

RevisIsland
11-07-2011, 11:51 PM
I can't ****ing wait for this book.

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 11:51 PM
I remember when this first went down I was telling everyone that Lakers were making the right choice to choose Kobe over Shaq and it would almost start fights. You could see the handwriting on the wall with Shaq though, at that point he was getting lazier and lazier. He only had success in Miami because Pat Riley was not fooling around with him at all and he had a chip on his shoulder.

But I do feel what Shaq is saying about Mitch, that was kindof shady for them to not at least keep it real with him about the situation. He basically just did the pre-empted breakup......

LA_Raiders
11-08-2011, 12:58 AM
lol, He should go back to LA and play behind Bynum...

GREATNESS ONE
11-08-2011, 01:14 AM
:sleep:

RaiderLakersA's
11-08-2011, 12:59 PM
I remember when this first went down I was telling everyone that Lakers were making the right choice to choose Kobe over Shaq and it would almost start fights. You could see the handwriting on the wall with Shaq though, at that point he was getting lazier and lazier. He only had success in Miami because Pat Riley was not fooling around with him at all and he had a chip on his shoulder.

But I do feel what Shaq is saying about Mitch, that was kindof shady for them to not at least keep it real with him about the situation. He basically just did the pre-empted breakup......

Which is how we know the Lakers were right for letting Shaq go. In LA, Shaq went from being Shaq Daddy to Shaq Dada. Success went to his head.

Riley didn't ask Shaq to do anything differently than what the Lakers asked of him. Lose weight, get in condition, play defense as mission #1, and understand and embrace the fact that Wade (or in the Lakers' case, Kobe) is coming on strong and needs room to be great without Shaq "Idi Amin Dada" lording over him like some fat tyrant on an ego trip.

Shaq did it in Miami, and if he would have done that in LA, he would have retired a Laker. It didn't become an "either, or" proposition until Shaq made it abundantly clear that he was not going to cooperate and meet the team's professional expectations.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I can't ****ing wait for this book.

It's been out for a week...

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-08-2011, 01:37 PM
what we all already know, but i cant wait for this book.

It's already out...

RaiderLakersA's
11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I'll wait until the book becomes available at my local library. Not paying for sensationalism that can be had for free.