PDA

View Full Version : If Lebron wins a ring during a lockout year

nickdymez
11-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Is it still the same? Meaning does his detractors finally need to shut up because he won a ring or not?

truther
11-07-2011, 03:22 PM
idk know but i feel that will be used against him.

PlezPlayDKnicks
11-07-2011, 03:23 PM
If my Knicks would've won it Id claim it. Nobody talks about the Spurs so it shouldn't be an issue.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-07-2011, 03:30 PM
yes, half a season means half of a ring:rolleyes:

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Be more amunition for the haters to use against him. Just like the "Kobe never won without good teammates" argument. Just something else for people gripe about, before they go back to their same lives with the same problems.......

Ezio
11-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Means nothing if you ask me :shrug: I don't even think the Heat will make the ECF :hide:

JordansBulls
11-07-2011, 03:34 PM
It's not held against Duncan because no one else on the Spurs had won prior to Duncan.
What will be held against Lebron is that Wade already won as the man with the same franchise.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2011, 03:34 PM
do we hold it against Duncan?

Hawkeye15
11-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Bron haters will always find something to ***** about, that is how hate works. Fact is, if he leads the Heat to a championship in a shortened season, the haters crutch of no ring is gone.

JordansBulls
11-07-2011, 03:38 PM

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19705796&postcount=7
:)

29$JerZ
11-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Bron haters will always find something to ***** about, that is how hate works. Fact is, if he leads the Heat to a championship in a shortened season, the haters crutch of no ring is gone.

No. Haters would clearly hype up the Wade and Company won the ring in a shortened season.

Even with a ring in this scenario LeBron can't win.

I think it would take a MVP, Finals MVP and clearly most dominant performance from LeBron to get the people who hate on him to at least consider he isn't as bad as they want him to be.

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 03:43 PM

You forget Duncan doesn't torture homeless cats and go to elderly peoples homes taking the wheels off their wheelchairs like Lebron does......

SteBO
11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
People who would downplay LeBron in this scenario would obviously be clueless about how sports works. The best team will always win. Simple.

GhostfaceDrilla
11-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Who gives a **** if LeBron wins it during a lockout year? What if Dirk wins another? Or Kobe? Or Howard, or Duncan, or Carmelo, or Rondo, or Griffin, or Bargnani, or Horford, or Paul, or Valuncianas, or Jamison, or Ellis, or Rubio, or Collison, or Evans, etc..

Is LeBron the only possible player who can win a ring next year? Jesus christ...

mdm692
11-07-2011, 03:48 PM
No. Haters would clearly hype up the Wade and Company won the ring in a shortened season.

I think it would take a MVP, Finals MVP and clearly most dominant performance from LeBron to get the people who hate on him to at least consider he isn't as bad as they want him to be.

thats it and until that happens its all going to be thanks to wade. Lebron needs to face a super motivated lakers in the finals and sh1t on them by avg 30ppg 8rbp 8apg and get the mvp then no one will ever give him crap again

Hitman21
11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Be more amunition for the haters to use against him. Just like the "Kobe never won without good teammates" argument. Just something else for people gripe about, before they go back to their same lives with the same problems.......

did he tho?

shep33
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I actually do hold something against it, and I know I probably shouldn't but that Spurs championship has some faults in my opinion, but it still counts nonetheless.

In my opinion, there are problems with it... I think its unfair because it doesn't account for the entire 82 games that other teams had to endure to get that 'ship. I think one of the biggest accomplishments in winning a championship is overcoming the hurdles of the 82 game season, I mean it's grueling, it itself is a test for every single player and team in this league.

I'm a Laker fan, and honestly you can quote me here, if we were to win the championship this year (kinda tough without adjustments), it would be my least favorite Lakers championship that I've been alive to watch. The reason is, I've seen all those other teams go through the 82, and the problems and obstacles that those Laker teams had to overcome. I dunno that's just my opinion though.

I just think winning a championship, is a testament to your team's endurance over such a grueling season.

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 04:06 PM
did he tho?

No he didn't. Neither did Jordan, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, Wade, Isiah Thomas, Wilt, Kareem, Bill Russell..............

TheNumber37
11-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Truthfully, I don't even see the Heat in the finals next year. They have limited roster flexibility and teams know how to beat them.

zn23
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
It absolutely tarnishes the accomplishment. It does not just go for him, but any team that wins in a shortened season should have asterisk. Like the Spurs in 1999.

SteBO
11-07-2011, 04:33 PM
It absolutely tarnishes the accomplishment. It does not just go for him, but any team that wins in a shortened season should have asterisk. Like the Spurs in 1999.
Yeah, because the regular season so much when it comes to the playoffs. Mkay. The best teams will always win regardless, so it doesn't matter. The Spurs shouldn't have an asterisk at all.....

Chronz
11-07-2011, 04:36 PM
99 Spurs are the most underrated, underestimated team of the century

Slug3
11-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Who gives a **** if LeBron wins it during a lockout year? What if Dirk wins another? Or Kobe? Or Howard, or Duncan, or Carmelo, or Rondo, or Griffin, or Bargnani, or Horford, or Paul, or Valuncianas, or Jamison, or Ellis, or Rubio, or Collison, or Evans, etc..

Is LeBron the only possible player who can win a ring next year? Jesus christ...

I think you took this post all wrong. I think they were trying to point that if he won would people hold it against him cause it was a short season.

Da Knicks
11-07-2011, 04:49 PM
No he didn't. Neither did Jordan, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, Wade, Isiah Thomas, Wilt, Kareem, Bill Russell..............

This the only ones that did it where Hakeem the Dream and Barry with the warriors.

Shmontaine
11-07-2011, 04:53 PM
if he has a ring, he has a ring... how he plays en route to getting his ring will define him IMO...

SteBO
11-07-2011, 04:54 PM
if he has a ring, he has a ring... how he plays en route to getting his ring will define him IMO...
Exactly. He can't have a stinker series at any point. He needs to brilliant.

pd1dish
11-07-2011, 04:59 PM
if Lebron wins only ONE ring in his career and it happens to be in a shortened season, then yes, there will be an asterisk next to that championship. im not trying to take anything away from Lebron, but if Duncan had only won that one year rather than the 4 he has now, you dont think there would be people saying something similar about Duncan? if my Bulls win it this year, and its Rose's only championship in his career, you dont think there would be people saying the same thing about Rose (especially since we know he got fatigued at the end last year)?

MTar786
11-07-2011, 05:01 PM
most of the people who said no are probably children. The real answer should be a unanimous YES! not just for lebron.. but for anyone whether it be kobe or lebron. whoever wins it this year will have won a tainted title.
no training camp, No real feel for the season, no time to make the right adjustments and moves. april will feel like january. june will feel like april. Ive seen the spurs win in 99.. IMO that is a highly tainted title. Also, its rarely talked about. no one ever talks about the spurs blazers series lol.

Dragonzord
11-07-2011, 05:02 PM
If your team won in a shortened season would you count it as a championship? Yes. Is he in the same situation that every other team is in? Yes. I am a huge Lebron hater, but a ring is a ring.

ClippersE.G
11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
The Spurs one should have an asterisk so I dont see why it should be any different with Lebron James....as much as I hope he wins one soon

Hawkeye15
11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19705796&postcount=7
:)

ha, no i get it. But hey, haters will always find ways to discredit. Its the way it goes.

Hawkeye15
11-07-2011, 05:18 PM
You forget Duncan doesn't torture homeless cats and go to elderly peoples homes taking the wheels off their wheelchairs like Lebron does......

my bad

Hawkeye15
11-07-2011, 05:22 PM
how can it be tainted, or have an * next to it? Honestly. Dirk, Kobe, Rose, and everyone else will have the exact same amount of games.

It doesn't matter, and if you think it does, you have no way to rationally explain it. If the season was 1 game and then every team that finished above .500 went to the playoffs and LeBron won a ring, it STILL counts like any ring in history.

Again, it will be used against him by non-LeBron fans. With no justification. I HATED Duncan in 1999, and I didn't hold it against him in the slightest. Every other player played under the exact same scenario. One team stood on top. Counts no matter how you view it.

GodsSon
11-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I actually do hold something against it, and I know I probably shouldn't but that Spurs championship has some faults in my opinion, but it still counts nonetheless.

In my opinion, there are problems with it... I think its unfair because it doesn't account for the entire 82 games that other teams had to endure to get that 'ship. I think one of the biggest accomplishments in winning a championship is overcoming the hurdles of the 82 game season, I mean it's grueling, it itself is a test for every single player and team in this league.

I'm a Laker fan, and honestly you can quote me here, if we were to win the championship this year (kinda tough without adjustments), it would be my least favorite Lakers championship that I've been alive to watch. The reason is, I've seen all those other teams go through the 82, and the problems and obstacles that those Laker teams had to overcome. I dunno that's just my opinion though.

I just think winning a championship, is a testament to your team's endurance over such a grueling season.

This. Good post.

Of course it will be tarnished and have an asterisk beside it, because it isn't the same as winning during a full season. Why? Because performing in the playoffs is only 1/4 of the battle.

With that said, if there is a shortened season I'm fully expecting to see one of the "older" teams pick up the ship (LAL, Spurs, Celts or Mavs).

Lakers + Giants
11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
If kobe won his 6th this year wouldn't that still be 6 just like jordan? If lebron wins a ring this year it counts just as much as any other ring. I'm a HUGE lebron hater too, but this is stupid.

beliges
11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
This. Good post.

Of course it will be tarnished and have an asterisk beside it, because it isn't the same as winning during a full season. Why? Because performing in the playoffs is only 1/4 of the battle.

With that said, if there is a shortened season I'm fully expecting to see one of the "older" teams pick up the ship (LAL, Spurs, Celts or Mavs).

I dont think the Spurs are contenders for a championship anymore. Duncan is but a shadow of his former self. But, shortened season or not, a championship is a championship and if the Heat to win it then Lebron will finally get his 1st much needed and much anticipated ring.

However, I do understand the gripe certain people have with winning a title during a shortened season. It just doesnt seem right but it is what it is and it will be legitimate. The Heat, with the team they have, should win championships for years to come. No other team has the talent level the Heat do.

Bishnoff
11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
A ring is a ring in my opinion, but society will always find reasons to discredit personal/team accomplishments.

The Spurs 1998-99 Championship is worth just as much as any other Championship.

Lakers + Giants
11-07-2011, 05:32 PM

**** NO! I would be excited as **** to know that there is no team in the league that has more championships than us. The next title would tie us with boston and it would tie kobe with jordan (in terms of championships, relax haters). A lockout year championship is just as good as any other. period.

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I just hope if we have a season that a team wins that has never done it before and will probably never do it again. Give me a Hawks vs Clippers finals and Im GOOD! Party in LA then hit the ATL to take some shots with Jeezy and T.I!..... (not literally though)

KingPosey
11-07-2011, 06:01 PM
It might affect what people say, but imo people can always fall back on the "he had to leave and form a super team" act. THATS the one that wont be let go.

ManningToTyree
11-07-2011, 06:03 PM
No a ring is a ring. It didn't tarnish Duncan and Robinson's lockout tittle. LeBron will still get hate though

Hawkeye15
11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
It might affect what people say, but imo people can always fall back on the "he had to leave and form a super team" act. THATS the one that wont be let go.

its ironic that he gets that, when guys like Kobe, Duncan, Bird, and Magic don't get any flack from simply being drafted by one.

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
its ironic that he gets that, when guys like Kobe, Duncan, Bird, and Magic don't get any flack from simply being drafted by one.

Hey not fair man you know full well there are plenty of Kobe haters that will argue you up and down that he hasn't earned a championship yet! He's the pioneer of the "he needed ___ to win" hate movement!!

gwrighter
11-07-2011, 06:15 PM
A ring is a ring is a ring is a ring.

RCarlson85
11-07-2011, 06:20 PM
No, a championship is a championship. It would be a shortened season for everyone and eveyrone would have the same chance at winning. I'm sure some haters would still try to make a case for it not being the same, but it is.

GodsSon
11-07-2011, 06:59 PM
No, a championship is a championship. It would be a shortened season for everyone and eveyrone would have the same chance at winning. I'm sure some haters would still try to make a case for it not being the same, but it is.

Firstly, just because people have differing opinions then your own does not make them a hater; if it's blind criticism, then fine. But I'm tired of seeing that childish BS being thrown out all the time on PSD.

Secondly, it's not the same, because if it was, then the 98-99 season would not have an asterisk beside it (and it does).

gwrighter
11-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Firstly, just because people have differing opinions then your own does not make them a hater; if it's blind criticism, then fine. But I'm tired of seeing that childish BS being thrown out all the time on PSD.

Secondly, it's not the same, because if it was, then the 98-99 season would not have an asterisk beside it (and it does).

the real arguments that I see against it being legit are; Veterans get more time to rest/are more rested. Teams don't get enough time to gel, so established teams have an upper-hand. Besides that tho it seems quite similar.

mdm692
11-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Hey not fair man you know full well there are plenty of Kobe haters that will argue you up and down that he hasn't earned a championship yet! He's the pioneer of the "he needed ___ to win" hate movement!!

i hate kobe with a passion but that mab earned his rings he was the man in the lakers and came through when he was needed the most.

zizo
11-07-2011, 07:12 PM
as if only Lebron has haters .. there are haters for every star

Lebron fans .. stop whining

SportsFanatic10
11-07-2011, 07:20 PM
the real arguments that I see against it being legit are; Veterans get more time to rest/are more rested. Teams don't get enough time to gel, so established teams have an upper-hand. Besides that tho it seems quite similar.

this...if anything i think it makes it a bit harder on the heat. boston will be fresher/healthier for the playoffs and a bigger hurdle in the east in a shortened season. also the heat could use the extra games since they're still a relatively new team and lebron, wade, and bosh aren't firing on all cylinders together yet. also they didn't get haslem and miller in the mix very much last year either and they'll have turnover with some vet min players so they could use a full season imo to really be playing their best ball by playoff time. only thing that it helps is less chance of wade/miller/anyone getting hurt before the playoffs i guess.

some of these posters are being ridiculous, a ring is a ring period.

SportsFanatic10
11-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Means nothing if you ask me :shrug: I don't even think the Heat will make the ECF :hide:

but let me guess...you think the bulls will?

Pierzynski4Prez
11-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Anyone saying it will have an asterisk next to it, if by chance your team wins the 2012 finals, I hope you are putting an asterisk next to that too.

topdog
11-07-2011, 07:49 PM
A ring is a ring. I just hope we get a chance to find out if he does.

mdm692
11-07-2011, 08:06 PM
but let me guess...you think the bulls will?

if you add a sg that can create his own shot to that roster, which they will, you can book em for the finals. Heck very high possibility of knicks vs bulls ECF

ne3xchamps
11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
A Lebron thread in the NBA forum, there's a ****ing shocker. :facepalm:

LetsgoPack
11-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I can definitely see people putting an asterisk next to the championship just because it's Lebron

truther
11-07-2011, 08:38 PM
if you add a sg that can create his own shot to that roster, which they will, you can book em for the finals. Heck very high possibility of knicks vs bulls ECF

we beat them in five games with wade having one of his worst series ever, i think we can handle an oj mayo,smith addition.

Underrated Wade
11-07-2011, 08:53 PM
i dun like lebron cuz i feel because of him wade is underrated. ex. 2009 mvp award, but anyways its clear who is better (lebron) but i can argue that wade is, but i dont think anyone has different opinions on who was better in the finals. as long as wade wins finals mvp im happy.

daleja424
11-07-2011, 08:55 PM
the fans will say it validates him... the haters will hate.

Basically, anyone who dislikes him will try to use it against him... ANyone who is his fan or is neutral will see it is as legit and validating.

GodsSon
11-07-2011, 09:26 PM
i dun like lebron cuz i feel because of him wade is underrated. ex. 2009 mvp award, but anyways its clear who is better (lebron) but i can argue that wade is, but i dont think anyone has different opinions on who was better in the finals. as long as wade wins finals mvp im happy.

It's nice to meet you Dwyane

Kyben36
11-07-2011, 10:17 PM
If its an NBA season, sure, as far as im concerend it would not tarnish anything, its a ring. now if he wins something the players put together that isnt the nba, then it doesnt count.

Fnom11
11-07-2011, 11:24 PM
Like some other people stated, it's all about whether or not he wins another one after it.

Cool007
11-08-2011, 12:09 AM
People who would downplay LeBron in this scenario would obviously be clueless about how sports works. The best team will always win. Simple.

I completely agree.

I think if Heat wins it, then it just means that they deserved it and there shouldn't be any asterisk of any kind.

This same goes for any team that wins it.

RevisIsland
11-08-2011, 12:12 AM
I don't consider the '99 season a real season and I wouldn't consider this season a real season.

THE GIPPER
11-08-2011, 12:44 AM
imo a shortened season might even make it harder for the heat because older teams like boston, san antonio, and dallas wont be as worn out come playoff time

LA_Raiders
11-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Too bad he is not winning...

naps
11-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Is it still the same? Meaning does his detractors finally need to shut up because he won a ring or not?

Posters like you will use it against him. Everyone but the haters will know it's nothing less since every team will have equal opportunity and the playoffs are gonna be same in length and format.

abe_froman
11-08-2011, 07:10 AM
you mean shortened season? no way.does anyone say timmy and drob's first ring is tarnished or less or doesnt count?

natelpete
11-08-2011, 07:28 AM
He's already proven himself in the regular season, so I don't see why it would be an issue. He still has to make it through the playoffs either way.

Anilyzer
11-08-2011, 08:26 AM
People will claim that it is a Stern/League conspiracy, to lockout and reduce the season, so that Lebron can win the title and stay fresh. Unless Kobe wins, then everyone will say it was all a conspiracy to prevent Lebron from winning it all in 2012.

Anilyzer
11-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Bottom line: *

nickdymez
11-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Posters like you will use it against him. Everyone but the haters will know it's nothing less since every team will have equal opportunity and the playoffs are gonna be same in length and format.

hahahahaha

justinnum1
11-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Its ok till it happens, if it does everyone will say its not the real thing.

justinnum1
11-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Bottom line: *

the trophy is the same ;)

NBA_Starter
11-08-2011, 11:30 PM
I still think its the same, the only thing is if it turns out thats the only one he won some people would always bring it up.

Evolution23
11-08-2011, 11:37 PM

Most rational fans don't hate on Lebron. We just want to see him step up when it counts.

kArSoN RyDaH
11-09-2011, 12:54 AM
I think it would be hilarious to be honest. Lmao. Lebron can't catch a break. hahaahahahahah This would be EPIC.

C-Style
11-09-2011, 01:42 AM
every team will get a equal shot so.....but ppl will say he couldn't do it without Wade+Bosh