PDA

View Full Version : Magic..H.I.V..and the media

ajnapoleon
11-07-2011, 01:20 PM
How would the media handle a big story in this age of media?...would they make it a big deal or not?...I remember it a big story but not drug into the mud.

Hellcrooner
11-07-2011, 01:24 PM
^it would be horrible nowdays and Magic probably wouldnt have had the benfit of having comunicated it in a conference , ti woudl have leaked from the lab and been tweeted classlesly.

Man, its been 20 years..........i cant believe it, i came back from H.S and there it was my father sitting at the sofa with the sad news, i didnt want to believe it until it was on the news in tv.

im going old.....i should have noticed it when i started growing grey hair...

Sactown
11-07-2011, 01:25 PM
How would the media handle a big story in this age of media?...would they make it a big deal or not?...I remember it a big story but not drug into the mud.

His career would end quickly after the leak and it would be on every news station and magazine

PhillyFaninLA
11-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I disagree with the above posters.

If they press controlled the story right away then it would be bad, but with all we know about HIV today there would be a lot of education going along with the stories.

I think the press would handle it with respect and try and talk about realities but message boards and twitter would not.

Sactown
11-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I disagree with the above posters.

If they press controlled the story right away then it would be bad, but with all we know about HIV today there would be a lot of education going along with the stories.

I think the press would handle it with respect and try and talk about realities but message boards and twitter would not.

I think the media would slam him with possible blood on the court and giving it to other players, that the league wouldn't have a choice, but to ask him to leave

sep11ie
11-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, it would be worse IMO since HIV and AIDS awareness is so much better and more understood now.

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 01:47 PM

It did get drug through the mud. There were allegations of him being gay and all that but the stories never picked up much steam because of him pretty much being all around loved and respected by everybody. Reporters were actually crying during his press conference.

The difference in todays era is there is totally no love from the media, regardless who the guy is. The social climate we live in today is one where people love to revel in celebrities misfortion. So basically the gossip sites would give stories to any groupie who had an allegation, true or not, and it would become one huge circus.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Imagine if Lebron would have HIV:speechless:

he would be the most hated man on the planet....oh wait, he already is:facepalm:

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 02:34 PM

he would be the most hated man on the planet....oh wait, he already is:facepalm:

I think Dan Gilbert would throw a parade in the streets and psd would be filled with celebration threads......

iggypop123
11-07-2011, 05:17 PM
more negative since so much is known about it, and the steps needed to make it preventable are common sense. it would also come from a nasty rumor on twitter and explode that way. what wouldnt change is the gay rumors would be the same if not higher.

Arch Stanton
11-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Not sure on the validity of this but it would make sense.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/gossip/articles/80672-did-jerry-west-organize-sauna-sex-for-magic-johnson

First, here's a passage from Lazenby's book describing the sort of scenes one might encounter therein:

The team's locker room, and its sauna, had been a place where the star and other players had entertained women, even right after games...[Magic] Johnson would retire to the sauna after a game, have sex, then put on a robe and return to the locker room for his postgame media interviews.

It would be kind of a surprise if Jerry West, whose silhouette is the basis of the NBA logo, were to admit that those sorts of things went one. Well, he did that. In fact, Mr. Clutch went a step further in hinting that he actually organised the trysts:

I cared. I did things for those guys. It was ridiculous, some of the things I did for those guys. If the public knew, they'd be outraged. It was a pretty crazy period for us.

Wow. That's all I've got there. Let us know what your thoughts are by dropping a comment.

Arch Stanton
11-08-2011, 02:51 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/14/stunning-revelation-magic-johnson-had-sex/

abe_froman
11-08-2011, 03:08 AM
worse,much worse.it'd be leaked before the conference,twitter and tmz would be all over it with rampant speculation and very light on facts.then as soon as it hit the mainstream sources it would twist it into a political fight,a point for left/right commentators to rally around and whip viewers into hysterics ensuring he'd never be treated with dignity by everyone ever again

5ass
11-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Not sure on the validity of this but it would make sense.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/gossip/articles/80672-did-jerry-west-organize-sauna-sex-for-magic-johnson

First, here's a passage from Lazenby's book describing the sort of scenes one might encounter therein:

The team's locker room, and its sauna, had been a place where the star and other players had entertained women, even right after games...[Magic] Johnson would retire to the sauna after a game, have sex, then put on a robe and return to the locker room for his postgame media interviews.

It would be kind of a surprise if Jerry West, whose silhouette is the basis of the NBA logo, were to admit that those sorts of things went one. Well, he did that. In fact, Mr. Clutch went a step further in hinting that he actually organised the trysts:

I cared. I did things for those guys. It was ridiculous, some of the things I did for those guys. If the public knew, they'd be outraged. It was a pretty crazy period for us.

Wow. That's all I've got there. Let us know what your thoughts are by dropping a comment.

lol its sounds like he gave him a BJ

Anilyzer
11-08-2011, 04:58 AM

Well, for one thing, there is certainly no reason to hate people who are afflicted with HIV. That is ridiculous, and sad.

Also, it seems like '91 or whatever was a much more innocent era for news reporting. For instance, Magic was able to get away with just saying "I got it from some unknown woman" and that was it. The implication being that he must, like Wilt Chamberlain or something, be having sex 24 hours a day with 25,000 anonymous women at all times. How can anybody expect him to know who he got it from? And this despite the fact that female --> male transmission rates in the U.S. are astronomically low.

Nowadays, reporters would be asking "who?" As in, "who is this woman who gave Magic HIV?" The woman would come forward (I imagine) and just like the Bieber baby-mama or the Herman Cain grope-chick, she would instantly have her picture on all the tabloid sites and magazines, and probably have her own reality show, like "Hiva Hiv and the Magic Hos of Hollywood" or "Keeping Up with the Beoch Who Gave Magic AIDs" or whatever.

But yeah... it is amazing (beyond amazing) that nobody ever followed up on what female Magic caught HIV from... if she was a Forum Club reg, or was hitting it with other team members, or what the dealio was. Just... mystery woman, and nobody asked any more about it. No Enquirer articles, you'd think there'd be phone records, financial settlements... you'd think every woman within a 30 mile radius of the Forum would get HIV tested.

But yeah... never heard a thing about anything.

SportsAndrew25
11-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Still hard to believe it has been 20 years since he made the announcement. :speechless: