Shaq had recently left the Lakers
The Clippers had a better record than the Lakers
Melo was playing in Denver
The Knicks couldn't even win 25 games
The Trail Blazers were even worse than the Knicks
Katrina took out the Hornets
the Sonics were still an NBA team

If we were still in 2005-2006
What is the most surprising event to occur since 2005-2006?

iliketurtles24
11-07-2011, 12:57 AM
ya you are correct

gwrighter
11-07-2011, 01:05 AM
economic recession of 2008, i guess not a surprise for a small minority but for the majority it was.

Raph12
11-07-2011, 02:34 AM
5 years ago Dwight Howard was not even a "Top 25" player, now he is arguably the best player in the league.

itsripcity32
11-07-2011, 02:48 AM
5 years ago Dwight Howard was not even a "Top 25" player, now he is arguably the best player in the league.

:facepalm: obviously people saw that he had the potential to become one of the best players considering the
five years ago, dwight WAS a top 25 player.
and he isnt the best player in the league :facepalm:. top 5? yea. best player? no

Raph12
11-07-2011, 04:12 AM
:facepalm: obviously people saw that he had the potential to become one of the best players considering the
and he isnt the best player in the league :facepalm:. top 5? yea. best player? no

At 15ppg-12rpg-1.5bpg on 53FG%-59FT% who only knew how to dunk a ball, no he was not a top 25 player. At 6'11" 240, the only thing that stood out about him back then, was his leaping ability. I'm sure you were riding high on the Dwight-bandwagon back in '06, when Kobe was dropping 81pts, AI was still filling up the stat sheet, Lebron just broke out and Shaq was still relevant. I'm sure you were sitting there watching the Magic suck their way back into the lottery and saying "that Dwight guy who jumps high and rebounds pretty well is gonna be a top player in this league" :rolleyes:

The only player in the league on Dwight's level right now is Lebron, and arguably Wade, you're an idiot to think you could name 4 players better than him atm.

MTar786
11-07-2011, 04:15 AM

That made me lol :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

netsgiantsyanks
11-07-2011, 07:29 AM

oh :facepalm: ok :facepalm:

Catoblepas
11-07-2011, 07:51 AM
At 15ppg-12rpg-1.5bpg on 53FG%-59FT% who only knew how to dunk a ball, no he was not a top 25 player. At 6'11" 240, the only thing that stood out about him back then, was his leaping ability. I'm sure you were riding high on the Dwight-bandwagon back in '06, when Kobe was dropping 81pts, AI was still filling up the stat sheet, Lebron just broke out and Shaq was still relevant. I'm sure you were sitting there watching the Magic suck their way back into the lottery and saying "that Dwight guy who jumps high and rebounds pretty well is gonna be a top player in this league" :rolleyes:

The only player in the league on Dwight's level right now is Lebron, and arguably Wade, you're an idiot to think you could name 4 players better than him atm.

Durant, Wade, Lebron, and um ok if i tried to name a 4th it would take too long haa

ttam68
11-07-2011, 12:28 PM
5 years ago
Lebron was a Cav

1.5 years ago?

ttam68
11-07-2011, 12:30 PM

This is just shameless plugging. I'm going to assume you were drunk.

It was pretty obvious that Dwight had HUGE potential 5 years ago. In fact, thats probably why he went #1 out of high school 7 years ago.

Ebbs
11-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I would say that the Heat form a super team add the best player in the NBA and a top 15 player go back to the finals once again play the Mavericks but lose to the savvy vets.

truther
11-07-2011, 12:51 PM
That made me lol :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::l augh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::la ugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

if you think its not even arguable for dwight to be considered the best player in the game, than i don't know what to say about your basketball knowledge, you should probably stop watching the nba all together.

smith&wesson
11-07-2011, 01:19 PM
5 years ago the suns had an incredible team.

Baller1
11-07-2011, 01:43 PM
The Seattle-OKC relocation.

Antipod
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
`Bron still without a ring :D

Byronicle
11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
the Heat making their superstar team

and the lockout following that season

heyman321
11-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Yeah I'm sure nobody in the league thought a #1 pick would turn out to be, you know GOOD. Terrible argument.

TheDetroitBlue
11-07-2011, 02:42 PM
5 Years ago the pistons were still one of the beasts of the east.... up until 2008-2009

CousinsEvansDUO
11-07-2011, 03:09 PM
The Sacramneto Kings drafting 2 top 10 future players in Tyreke Evans and Demarcus Cousins.

heyman321
11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
5 Years ago the pistons were still one of the beasts of the east.... up until 2008-2009

I can't believe the Pistons fell apart so quickly. They were so good for so long.

kingsdelez24
11-07-2011, 06:45 PM
5 years ago
Lebron was a Cav
The heat beat the MAVERICKS in the playoffs
Shaq had recently left the Lakers
The Clippers had a better record than the Lakers
The Trail Blazers were even worse than the Knicks
Katrina took out the Hornets
the Sonics were still an NBA team

If we were still in 2005-2006
What is the most surprising event to occur since 2005-2006?

Cmon sactown! The kings were still a playoff team then, they even pushed the spurs to six games and bonzi wells had a beast series... now look at where he is

kingsdelez24
11-07-2011, 06:47 PM
The Sacramneto Kings drafting 2 top 10 future players in Tyreke Evans and Demarcus Cousins.

You make it embarrassing to be in the same fan base.... gtfo you stupid troll

ChiSoxJuan
11-07-2011, 06:53 PM
C'mon it's got to be the Bulls drafting Rose & then going on to win 62 gms in 2010-2011. What are the odds of both those things occuring?

Sactown
11-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Cmon sactown! The kings were still a playoff team then, they even pushed the spurs to six games and bonzi wells had a beast series... now look at where he is

Yeah, but in 05-06 is about the start of the realization that the kings with that core were unable to remain elite

mdm692
11-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Nash was mvp the suns offense was the best in the league even with stoudemire out for the year.

kingsdelez24
11-07-2011, 07:06 PM
^ Barely 1 percent lol

I'd say the lakers somehow trading Kwame "No Hand's, No Talent" Brown, Javaris "Gunslinger" Crittenton, ect... for Pau gasol

Or maybe how Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, Shaq and Jermaine O'Neal all played on the same team, even though it seemed like a retirement house in there

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Kobe having 2 rings and 3 finals appearance since then and then "MVP" Nash has yet to even appear in a finals except for watching courtside......

Clippers not only not building on the playoff success but returning to utter obscurity (until BG of course).

RaiderLakersA's
11-07-2011, 08:12 PM
As a Lakers fan, the only thing that matters since 2006 to date is going to the Finals three consecutive seasons and winning 2 of them. Every other story around the NBA is about players who are trying to win it all...and the conjecture that some never will.

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 08:44 PM
As a Lakers fan, the only thing that matters since 2006 to date is going to the Finals three consecutive seasons and winning 2 of them. Every other story around the NBA is about players who are trying to win it all...and the conjecture that some never will.

I will drink to that sir!!

Sactown
11-07-2011, 09:01 PM

That was the most shocking thing, the Lakers getting back into contention again so quickly, while the clippers went out with a whimper instead of a bang

Raph12
11-08-2011, 03:49 AM

Right, you probably still think Kobe's a Top 5 player also...

This is just shameless plugging. I'm going to assume you were drunk.

It was pretty obvious that Dwight had HUGE potential 5 years ago. In fact, thats probably why he went #1 out of high school 7 years ago.

Watching Dwight only dunk every ball or get easy layups, you wouldn't think he would be anywhere near the "best player" convo in 5yrs. Dwight looked like DeAndre Jordan, but a good rebounder in 2005-06. His defense was mediocre, his offensive game was non-existant and his IQ still had ways to go. Not to forget the fact that he was 35lbs of muscle lighter back then, he just looked like a skinny kid who could jump high. I watched nearly every Magic game since he was drafted and I didn't think he would be where he is today, not this quickly anyway.

Watching him then and watching him now is like watching two completely different players.

Yeah I'm sure nobody in the league thought a #1 pick would turn out to be, you know GOOD. Terrible argument.

Right because I'm sure after watching guys like Kwame Brown, Darko Millicic, Mike Olawakondi, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Bryant Reeves, Tony Battie, Raef Lafrentz, Johnathan Bender, Eddy Curry, etc... You tend to expect top pick centers to automatically dominate the league and be a top player, especially with all the great talent at the center position these days. :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that you guys pretend like you knew Dwight would be a top player, if not the best player, in today's league after his 2005-06 season is just laughable.

abe_froman
11-08-2011, 03:54 AM
lebron not having a ring,really thought it woulda happened by now

heyman321
11-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Right because I'm sure after watching guys like Kwame Brown, Darko Millicic, Mike Olawakondi, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Bryant Reeves, Tony Battie, Raef Lafrentz, Johnathan Bender, Eddy Curry, etc... You tend to expect top pick centers to automatically dominate the league and be a top player, especially with all the great talent at the center position these days. :rolleyes:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that you guys pretend like you knew Dwight would be a top player, if not the best player, in today's league after his 2005-06 season is just laughable.

Let's get this straight. Howard isn't the best player in the league, Lebron is. I think everyone who is reasonable can agree to that. Secondly, you EXPECT #1 picks to be good and be in the top 10 or top 5 or players down the road. Did people expect Kwame Brown and Milicic and Oden to be good? Yes. Oden and every other center pick was supposed to dominate. That's why the term "bust" was coined. Get off your high horse, you think you're the only who one thought Dwight Howard would be good. THAT is what deserves an eye roll smiley face. :rolleyes:

Cubs Win
11-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Derrick Rose winning (and deserving) MVP in only his 3rd season to become the youngest MVP ever! When he was drafted I honestly expected him to become a 19/8 PG in his best years. So to put up 25/8 in year 3 is pretty spectacular. Goes to show what an incredible work ethic can do.

todu82
11-08-2011, 11:28 AM
The Sonics leaving Seattle.

Sinestro
11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
I would say.....

Miami forming their Super Team

LeBron not winning an NBA title in that span

D.Rose being drafted by the Bulls (odds to win lottery) and him winning the MVP in his third year

The loss of the Sonics

Raph12
11-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Let's get this straight. Howard isn't the best player in the league, Lebron is. I think everyone who is reasonable can agree to that. Secondly, you EXPECT #1 picks to be good and be in the top 10 or top 5 or players down the road. Did people expect Kwame Brown and Milicic and Oden to be good? Yes. Oden and every other center pick was supposed to dominate. That's why the term "bust" was coined. Get off your high horse, you think you're the only who one thought Dwight Howard would be good. THAT is what deserves an eye roll smiley face. :rolleyes:

Let's get this straight. Lebron maybe the most productive/efficient (which is mostly because of the FT shooting difference), but Dwight has the largest impact on the game which puts him right up there with Lebron. I'm sure anyone who is reasonable would choose Dwight over Lebron if doing a redraft, especially considering the lacking talent at the center position. Secondly, when you draft a player based on potential and not instant talent, you hope they'd be in the Top 5, not expect it. No one expected Kwame, Millicic or Oden to be the best player in the league or anywhere near it. They weren't "supposed" to dominate, they had the potential to dominate, HUGE difference.

If you thought Dwight would be where he is after his second season, I commend you for your psychic ability knows no bounds. Just watching a guy use his athleticism to do everything on the court wouldn't make me think he'd be a top player in 5 years.

Derrick Rose winning (and deserving) MVP in only his 3rd season to become the youngest MVP ever! When he was drafted I honestly expected him to become a 19/8 PG in his best years. So to put up 25/8 in year 3 is pretty spectacular. Goes to show what an incredible work ethic can do.

So you didn't expect your #1 pick to become a Top 5 player, interesting, isn't it Heyman321? :rolleyes:

Cubs Win
11-09-2011, 10:50 PM
To be fair Raph, I did think Dwight would become a Top 5-10 player in the league from Year 1. Since he didn't, to me at least, seem like a player who gave much attention to any bad influences, he's had a great chance of reaching his potential. To average 12/10 with 1.7 blocks as a rookie right out of high school is extremely impressive! And you had to think he'd add weight, coming out of high school his body obviously isn't done maturing.

Now did I think he'd be this good with the potential to be even better?! No. I thought he'd top out at a 21/13 player with around 2.5 blocks. But that is still a top 5-10 player in the league undoubtedly, especially with the current lack of talent in the league at center.

itsripcity32
11-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Let's get this straight. Lebron maybe the most productive/efficient (which is mostly because of the FT shooting difference), but Dwight has the largest impact on the game which puts him right up there with Lebron. I'm sure anyone who is reasonable would choose Dwight over Lebron if doing a redraft, especially considering the lacking talent at the center position. Secondly, when you draft a player based on potential and not instant talent, you hope they'd be in the Top 5, not expect it. No one expected Kwame, Millicic or Oden to be the best player in the league or anywhere near it. They weren't "supposed" to dominate, they had the potential to dominate, HUGE difference.

If you thought Dwight would be where he is after his second season, I commend you for your psychic ability knows no bounds. Just watching a guy use his athleticism to do everything on the court wouldn't make me think he'd be a top player in 5 years.

So you didn't expect your #1 pick to become a Top 5 player, interesting, isn't it Heyman321? :rolleyes:
what is potential? it is something you can reach! and thats what dwight did! lmfao. many number one picks and top picks have reached their potentials. was it a surprise for every number top pick to become great? and obviously history has shown that players without potential dont always reach it. look at all at the previous drafts!