PDA

View Full Version : Pending lockout, LeBron James trade could benefit Cavs in next summerís draft

Arch Stanton
11-06-2011, 06:43 PM
http://www.ohio.com/sports/cavs/jason-lloyd-pending-lockout-lebron-james-trade-could-benefit-cavs-in-next-summer-s-nba-draft-1.243886?localLinksEnabled=false&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

When the Cavaliers traded LeBron James to the Miami Heat last summer, they included language that went largely unnoticed at the time, but could come into play as this labor battle drags into its fifth month.

As part of the sign-and-trade, the Cavaliers have the right to swap picks should the Heat finish with a higher selection in the 2012 draft. It was scoffed at and dismissed at the time of the deal, since the Cavs are rebuilding and the Heat are one of the elite teams, but it becomes much more intriguing if this entire season is abolished by the lockout.

If the players follow through on recent threats to decertify the union, there is a legitimate chance this entire season will be lost. Messy, lengthy antitrust lawsuits will inevitably follow and a deal that was so close to completion only a week ago will crumble. If that happens, it will send the logistics of next summer’s draft into limbo.

No one is sure yet how an NBA Draft without a season would be handled. What’s clear is the Cavs will not have the first and fourth picks again, since the No. 1 pick that netted Kyrie Irving came from the Los Angeles Clippers as part of the Baron Davis trade. That deal was for one draft pick; it didn’t include the Clippers’ pick in 2012.

When the entire 2004-05 NHL season was lost to a work stoppage, every team was included in the following draft lottery. In order to be diplomatic, teams’ cumulative records from the previous three seasons were used to factor draft odds.

The NBA certainly doesn’t have to adopt that same system, it’s simply a viable example. It’s also a scenario that would cripple the Cavaliers, since they finished with the league’s best record the two years prior to James leaving. But they could be aided by the Heat, who were a middle-of-the-pack playoff team for two years before James’ arrival and would have slightly better odds at a higher pick than the Cavaliers using the NHL’s example.

Should the Heat find good fortune with a higher pick in the draft, the Cavs can snatch it away.

They do not outright own the Heat’s pick in next summer’s draft because the Heat traded away their 2011 first-round pick to the Toronto Raptors as part of the sign-and-trade for Chris Bosh, and league rules prevent teams from trading first-round picks in consecutive years.

Cavs General Manager Chris Grant wanted the Raptors to negotiate the sign-and-trade with Bosh first so he could ask for more from the Heat in return for James. The Raptors received two first-round picks, so Grant took the Heat’s first rounder in 2013 and the rights to another future first rounder. He also got two second-round picks and the clause that gives the Cavs the right to swap places with the Heat next summer.

The NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins used a similar scenario to vault from doormats to champions. Financial woes made them one of the league’s worst teams early last decade, allowing them to take goalie Marc-Andre Fleury first overall in ’03 and center Evgeni Malkin second overall in ’04. Without playing another game, they won the post-lockout lottery in ’05 and were rewarded with Sidney Crosby.

Four years later, they won the Stanley Cup.

The Cavs are hoping for a similar stroke of luck regardless of how this lockout ends. They’ve already overcome incredible odds once to land Irving and Tristan Thompson with two of the top four picks in last year’s draft. Another high pick in a talent-rich draft next summer could really set up something special.

Nobody could’ve predicted it when James left town, but they just might use the Heat’s help to get there.

daleja424
11-06-2011, 06:50 PM
1) It is a weighted average...
2) The HEAT have 148 wins in the last 3 years, the Cavs have 146 wins... so the Cavs are sitting in a better position
3) It is still a lottery

daleja424
11-06-2011, 06:51 PM
...so seeing as the HEAT have had a better record the last three years... I think we can close this silly thread now.

Gators123
11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
^ Why can't you just spell it "Heat" instead of "HEAT"?

Sadds The Gr8
11-06-2011, 06:56 PM

always wondered that too...they must think it's cool or something

daleja424
11-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Because unlike every other NBA team, the Miami HEAT's official name is actually in all caps.

daleja424
11-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Go look at HEAT.com if you don't believe me. Even in all the articles they are always called the Miami HEAT.

Ezio
11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
I've come to known them as HEAT too :shrug:

Buckwheat
11-06-2011, 06:59 PM
HEAT IS HOT from what I hear.

kozelkid
11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
It's still kinda annoying considering you put more effort into making it all caps than merely Heat.

Sir Buckets
11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Because unlike every other NBA team, the Miami HEAT's official name is actually in all caps.
Oh, neat, did the owner's 11 year old son take care of the branding?

Cubs Win
11-06-2011, 07:01 PM

They wanted to feel special. ;)

daleja424
11-06-2011, 07:01 PM
It's still kinda annoying considering you put more effort into making it all caps than merely Heat.

how is it more effort. I push the shift key once whether I am writing HEAT or Heat... why not get it right?

kozelkid
11-06-2011, 07:08 PM
how is it more effort. I push the shift key once whether I am writing HEAT or Heat... why not get it right?

I don't know. I think I speak for most when I say I kinda find it elitist and childish. I don't care THAT much, but I will admit that those thoughts go in the back of my mind every time I read that. However, if it's that important, so be it. :shrug:

In regards to this thread, just another case of a what if scenario regarding the draft. Definitely interested although I still think it should be a 14 team lottery.

Arch Stanton
11-06-2011, 07:16 PM
...so seeing as the HEAT have had a better record the last three years... I think we can close this silly thread now.

Silly? It seems like a lot of people have asked what will happen with the draft for 2012. This thread doesn't answer it but it provides a possible scenario.

daleja424
11-06-2011, 07:35 PM
silly was the wrong word... I apologize.

But what point are you trying to make with this thread?

Arch Stanton
11-06-2011, 07:38 PM
silly was the wrong word... I apologize.

But what point are you trying to make with this thread?

The point is what I bolded. What will happen in the 2012 draft if there's no season? I suppose I could've used that in the subject line. But used the title of the article instead.

daleja424
11-06-2011, 07:40 PM
lol... ya... thats where you lost me!

your title made it seem like the Cavs were somehow benefited by the part you bolded.

Ron!n
11-06-2011, 07:44 PM

your title made it seem like the Cavs were somehow benefited by the part you bolded.
If the whole draft is a lottery and the Heat end up higher than the Cavs, then yes they would benefit...

TO to the CHI
11-06-2011, 08:05 PM

It's pretty clear that if the 2012 NBA draft is done using any type of weighted lottery, than the ability to swap picks will benefit the Cavs in a big way. As you pointed out, the teams' total wins are comparable..... but this only means that neither has a great chance at a top pick. However, the Cavs effectively have double the odds of the lottery working out because if it works out for either then or the heat, they can swap picks based on that provision. Hence, there is a benefit. It's really not that complicated.

JEDean89
11-06-2011, 08:08 PM
if the draft works anything like the NHL draft, where past years are taken into account, the cavs will have a tough time. a team like the knicks, who havent made the playoffs the 2 of the last 3 years would be hooked up, though they would have to land one in the top 5 to avoid it going to houston. if the cavs land a top 5 pick though, drummond, davis, barnes, mcadoo or rivers could be the franchise player i'm not sure they got in Irving and Thompson. Both are undoubtedly good, but a potential allstar remains to be seen.

gotoHcarolina52
11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Go HEAT!

heyman321
11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Yea well none of them have a worse record than the RAPTORS. I hope the RAPTORS get 1st or second pick so we can make Harrison Barnes a part of the RAPTORS franchise.

Chronz
11-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Why even capitalize anything?

FarOutIos
11-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Oh, neat, did the owner's 11 year old son take care of the branding?

Lol. Thats pretty good. I was gonna say that the marketing person couldn't figure out how to unlock the caps lock... but I like the 11 year old thing better...

All caps is lame marketing.

beasted86
11-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Silly? It seems like a lot of people have asked what will happen with the draft for 2012. This thread doesn't answer it but it provides a possible scenario.

This scenario and thread topic is started about every 3-4 days during this lockout. Do an NBA Forum search and type in "draft"... see how many hits you get.

Toxeryll
11-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I dont get the article. Is he saying the Cavs can swap picks with the Raptors since raps own the Miami pick?

PhillyFaninLA
11-06-2011, 10:08 PM

WHY DO peope Care AbOut ThiS soRT of THINg if the CAN uNderSTANd the message.

Content is more important and if you understand its not a big deal how the spell HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT HEAT or HEAT. Get over it its not really that big of a deal.

GREATNESS ONE
11-06-2011, 10:38 PM
who cares about the Miami heat:shrug:

ChitownBears22
11-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Heat!