PDA

View Full Version : Is MJ's brand about to go under?

DJ CHACH
11-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Link (http://tinyurl.com/439flbw)

Seeing as he is the only one who could probably get this thing done, is his brand in jeopardy of having players walk away?

Im actually a little intrigued that the articles thinks CP3, wade, melo allen and everyone else would walk away... I personally dont think they would walk but its worth discussing.

Im not sure how to include the text here so any moderator feel free to edit it as necessary

Discuss.

Tony_Starks
11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
He'll go down right after Oprah.

But seriously be aware that we are not allowed to speak disparingly about MJ in any way, shape, or form around here. He is the undisputed God of basketball and we are in no position to question his expertise......

Wade>You
11-05-2011, 09:45 PM
That's an interesting twist. Depends on when their contracts with Brand Jordan expires, but it would be the perfect message to send to a guy who everyone thought was one of the ultimate competitors and the one that players thought would be their voice amongst the owners.

Ezio
11-05-2011, 09:53 PM
That endorsement is too attracting to players.

aztr0
11-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Money talks. At the end of the day, players will decide which brand they'll sign with by seeing what kind of numbers they are being offered, and the marketing of the brand.

KingPosey
11-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I dont think Jordan's brand is in danger what so ever.

NBA_Starter
11-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Not a chance.

ink
11-05-2011, 11:47 PM
If there's money in it for the current stars they'll take it. This is NOT about principles, it's about business. Come on, seriously.

These are the guys that are crying because they need to be in a big market for endorsement deals. Do you think they give a damn about anything except how big the endorsement deal is for?

You guys make it seem like you believe these stars actually stand for anything other than profit.

NEWSFLASH: They don't.

ink
11-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Ask yourself this. It has been known for some time that Nike has used sweatshop labour in developing countries and paid them a fraction of what they would receive in the US for the same work. Did that prevent these players from taking their endorsement deals on principle then?

Obviously not. So why would they stand on principle now?

da ThRONe
11-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Once this labor situation is over everybody will kiss and make up.

Big Zo
11-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Jordan brand is Nike. Nike is not going under, and neither is their little jumpman logo.

ink
11-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Once this labor situation is over everybody will kiss and make up.

Haha. So true.

BronxBomber300
11-06-2011, 09:14 AM
His brand could do without those players. Cause people buy Jordan's because of Michael Jordan apposed to any other player. He's one of the most iconic sports figure ever. No other player or former player has had the type of influence that Michael Jordan has had not only on the game of basketball itself but things like clothing, video games, and more. I believe the Jordan brand will live and die due to Michael Jordan's legacy and not be in the hands of current players.

justinnum1
11-06-2011, 10:04 AM
jordan is a douche

Badluck33
11-06-2011, 11:09 AM
first the players are the d-bags, then it was David Stern, then it was Billy Hunter, then it was the Adam Silver, then it was the players union and now its Jordan.

Wow. Half of you have ZERO clue....

Next week it will be the Ghost of Irv Favre, then it will be the rotting corpse of Mother Teresa, then it will Casey Anthony, then it will be half the cast of Glee then it will be Obama then it will be.....

As much as I love to use PSD to gather 411, I have to filter through some of the garbage that half you morons put out there.

Btw....His brand has ZERO to worry about.....

ne3xchamps
11-06-2011, 11:09 AM
I dont think Jordan's brand is in danger what so ever.

I agree, its lasted this long. I highly doubt his brand will be in danger, even when he passes away. LONG LIVE AIR JORDAN!

Big Zo
11-06-2011, 11:22 AM
first the players are the d-bags, then it was David Stern, then it was Billy Hunter, then it was the Adam Silver, then it was the players union and now its Jordan.

Next week it will be the Ghost of Irv Favre, then it will be the rotting corpse of Mother Teresa, then it will Casey Anthony, then it will be half the cast of Glee then it will be Obama then it will be.....

As much as I love to use PSD to gather 411, I have to filter through some of the garbage that half you morons put out there.

Lol! Only Bulls fans are defending him. Anyway, they are ALL being douche bags. Happy?

JWO35
11-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Not in the slightest...and even if those players did walk away, you have hundreds of brainwashed HS & College prospects that would kill to be endorsed by Jordan

Lloyd Christmas
11-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Aren't the players making money as we speak because of Jordan's endorsement even though no games being played?

pd1dish
11-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Jordan brand is Nike. Nike is not going under, and neither is their little jumpman logo.

this. and out of all the players Nike has, Air Jordan is still the most popular shoe bought. Jordan brand will never be gone. It is, and will always be, the most successful and popular brand that a player has had. its an honor for current players to get their own "Jordan" brand shoe. just look at Team Jordan.

ChiSoxJuan
11-06-2011, 11:48 AM
This question is like asking will Apple's brand go under after the scathing book published about Jobs being the Devil. Please. Get a life already. Build something of your own & stop wasting time tearing down the legacy of others.

Ezio
11-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Aren't the players making money as we speak because of Jordan's endorsement even though no games being played?

Yes they are. Look at the latest commercials. #BasketballNeverStops. They are making money but they still want more.

effen5
11-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Lol, silly NBA players....

I don't buy Jordan stuff because of Dwade, Chris Paul, Carmello, and all them, I buy them because of Jordan. The Jumpman logo is iconic itself.

And I haven't bought a Kobe Bryant or Lebron Nike Brand either....

Jordan and his brand will be fine.

DaBUU
11-06-2011, 12:57 PM

the only reason the NBA has any sort of following, and the reason the 3 little females were all able to get together to share clothes and makeup, is all because of that little jumpman logo. Mike's in a different spot cuz he's an owner now, but never forget he made this damn league what it is.

RevisIsland
11-06-2011, 01:06 PM
As long as the NBA exists and Michael Jordan is still alive I don't think he ever has to worry about his brand going under.

LakersEaglesLA
11-06-2011, 01:52 PM
the only reason the NBA has any sort of following, and the reason the 3 little females were all able to get together to share clothes and makeup, is all because of that little jumpman logo. Mike's in a different spot cuz he's an owner now, but never forget he made this damn league what it is.

Lets not get carried away! I dont know how old you are but saying that Jordan made the nba what it is today is BS. Magic johnson and Larry Bird are the only 2 players that can take credit for saving the nba. Micheal Jordan has done NOTHING to give back to the culture and community that made him rich. The media has been covering and coddling for Jordan forever. With all this social media people are finding out who MJ really is. We love him but he never loved us back. Magic and Shaq and CP3 are the heroes. Givers not takers. I respect MJ on the court but he is losing credibility as a Man. I hope the players boycott his ***. He's bitter and selfish and the worst GM in the history of the NBA.

Big Zo
11-06-2011, 03:09 PM

You mean the same 3 females that you would have given your left nut to have before they stiffed your team? lol

TRUTH-TELLER
11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
anything is possible in a post bernie madoff world. but i think jordan brand just has too much loot to ever go down. they must be swimming in 100,000 of millions in the interest alone. scrooge mcduck bucks

nyKnicks126
11-06-2011, 03:18 PM
MJ Brand is too expensive.

Corey
11-06-2011, 03:23 PM
I dont really give a **** either way. I'm not shelling out 150 bucks for a pair of shoes that costs a slight fraction of that to actually produce.

nyKnicks126
11-06-2011, 03:24 PM
I dont really give a **** either way. I'm not shelling out 150 bucks for a pair of shoes that costs a slight fraction of that to actually produce.

The cost to produce one pair of shoes is less than 15 dollars... The prices for Jordan brand shoes are just not right..

DaBUU
11-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Lets not get carried away! I dont know how old you are but saying that Jordan made the nba what it is today is BS. Magic johnson and Larry Bird are the only 2 players that can take credit for saving the nba. Micheal Jordan has done NOTHING to give back to the culture and community that made him rich. The media has been covering and coddling for Jordan forever. With all this social media people are finding out who MJ really is. We love him but he never loved us back. Magic and Shaq and CP3 are the heroes. Givers not takers. I respect MJ on the court but he is losing credibility as a Man. I hope the players boycott his ***. He's bitter and selfish and the worst GM in the history of the NBA.

I'm old enough to remember it all. Larry and Magic indeed grabbed the attention of some of the nation, but the NBA did not become a global economic entity untll MJ. Say what you want about him as a GM and the stance he's taking now, but you cannot say he isnt the reason for KG getting that 110 million dollar contract way back when. That contract started all the crazy money flying around. Garnett's contract and the big contracts that came after were available due to what Mike and the Bulls did in the 90's, not what Bird and Magic did in the 80's. What more does he have to give back, when he was the one to pave the way for all these guys to walk into the league and become the rock stars they all think they are. And I realize you might not be from Chicago, but all of us here knew Mike wasn't that great a guy, the stance he's taking now isn't a shocker to us. The guy is and will always be a killer, now he's just wearing that hat as an owner.

ttam68
11-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Way to link to your own blog

hgtiger32
11-06-2011, 05:12 PM
No way. Even if there's no season there are a lot of people who play basketball across the country and they'll continue to buy Nike and Jordan

iggypop123
11-06-2011, 05:24 PM
money talks. Nobody will leave especially since they are locked into a contract. But this will affect free agency. Remember the stories of cp3 or other players thinking of the bobcat since mj was there. This ends it. People will only sign for the money not the honor for plying for mj .

Sactown
11-07-2011, 12:48 AM

Well It isn't going to take me a week to figure out they're the cause.. :eyebrow: and it's not just half of them either...

bmd1101
11-07-2011, 01:09 AM
Ask yourself this. It has been known for some time that Nike has used sweatshop labour in developing countries and paid them a fraction of what they would receive in the US for the same work. Did that prevent these players from taking their endorsement deals on principle then?

Obviously not. So why would they stand on principle now?

What the hell does Nike using sweatshops have to do with this? Almost everything you own, including whatever device you are posting with is likely made in a sweatshop.

PrettyBoyJ
11-07-2011, 01:51 AM
Jordan brand practically sells it self... You think the players they endorse are what drive their sales.. Jordan is a business man if players thought he would side with them while his team loses money and they (the players) cash in millions they must be fools.. Business is Business.. If you get your feelings hurt thats your problem..Jordan made the right move IMO bobcats are not ompetitve and will prob lose a lot of money in the up coming years

northsider
11-07-2011, 01:54 AM
bwahahahahaha besides the players his retros will never ever ever stop selling. Jordan could eliminate team Jordan and continue to re-release retros in different colors and it will be just as fine. He sells some of his shoes for thousands.

Even better you guys think the casual baller, kids, teens even care or know his stance in this whole thing. His shoes would sell if he took a dump in each of them personally and they evaporated after a week.

BALLER R
11-07-2011, 02:20 AM
are you guys forgetting that the Jordan brand isn't only NBA players. I'm sure the other athletes aren't going anywhere anytime soon

Heediot
11-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Those calling MJ a hypocrite would do the same thing if they were in his shoes. Life is paradoxical, inconsistent and contradictory. You have to do whats best according to circumstance rather than having a fixed mindset.

Tony_Starks
11-07-2011, 04:21 PM
I'm old enough to remember it all. Larry and Magic indeed grabbed the attention of some of the nation, but the NBA did not become a global economic entity untll MJ. Say what you want about him as a GM and the stance he's taking now, but you cannot say he isnt the reason for KG getting that 110 million dollar contract way back when. That contract started all the crazy money flying around. Garnett's contract and the big contracts that came after were available due to what Mike and the Bulls did in the 90's, not what Bird and Magic did in the 80's. What more does he have to give back, when he was the one to pave the way for all these guys to walk into the league and become the rock stars they all think they are. And I realize you might not be from Chicago, but all of us here knew Mike wasn't that great a guy, the stance he's taking now isn't a shocker to us. The guy is and will always be a killer, now he's just wearing that hat as an owner.

Not entirely true. Actually the pioneer of the huge contract is Jon Koncack in 1989. Out of spite to keep him from joining the Knicks the Hawks gave him a $13milli deal even though he was a reserve. That was a astronomical unprecedented amount at the time and more than Bird, Jordan, and Magic were being paid. It started the precedent of "hey if THAT guy is getting $13million Im worth at LEAST $20!" and on and on and on..........