PDA

View Full Version : worst deal in the NBA last season.

blahblahyoutoo
11-05-2011, 04:50 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:6272339

heat - giving up beasley for nothing to sign miller
knicks - signing an overrated melo
orlando - arenas for rashard, both overpaid, but rashard's contract is 1 year shorter
hawks - an old and under-producing joe johnson
nets - travis outlaw, needs no explanation

arkanian215
11-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure Henry Abbott is wrong about Beasley. They didn't trade Beasley for cap space to sign Mike Miller. They traded Beasley for cap space to sign Lebron and Bosh. Mike Miller was an MLE. A healthy Miller would've been a great signing since he can complement the group of guys they got.

GodsSon
11-05-2011, 04:59 PM
The worst was NJ getting bent over in the Deron Williams trade.

Tony_Starks
11-05-2011, 05:01 PM

orlando - arenas for rashard, both overpaid, but rashard's contract is 1 year shorter

Nets by far!! The Heat had to do what they had to do to make room, Arenas is actually their best pg but unfortunately Van Gundy has a love affair with Nelson, NY needed another superstar next to Amare by any means necessary and they finally got to the playoffs, and "old under producing" Johnson just went about his usual business of being an allstar and getting ATL to the second round.

Outlaw as you said, no explanation needed. He's a cautionary tale at this point.

Sactown
11-05-2011, 05:02 PM
The Kings traded an equal or better player in Beno for an aging John Solmans just to move down 3 spots in the draft...

DoMeFavors
11-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Outlaw is on here but Amir Johnson and Drew Gooden arent....

mdm692
11-05-2011, 05:07 PM
How is signing a superstar(melo), or borderline superstar, a bad deal he will probably carry the knicks year in and year out even after amares knees give in.

Atownballa5
11-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Nets with Outlaw. He is useless

BuddhaMONK
11-05-2011, 05:11 PM

Amir johnson been a rapter since 09, he wasn't traded last season.

Dade County
11-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Hawks ...

LayZbone
11-05-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Henry Abbott is wrong about Beasley. They didn't trade Beasley for cap space to sign Mike Miller. They traded Beasley for cap space to sign Lebron and Bosh. Mike Miller was an MLE. A healthy Miller would've been a great signing since he can complement the group of guys they got.

No, he's right. We could've had The big 3 AND Beasley. But Mike Miller better complimented the star trio. Haslem was also a free agent. It was important to bring him back, which doesn't leave much minutes for Beas in the forward rotation.

Cal827
11-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Lebron James for a first round pick... like what that ****? lol

um either Outlaw or how about the Raptors-Hornets Trade...

Bayless
Peja (Large expiring contract)

for

Jack
David Andersen
Banks (Expiring)

Tony_Starks
11-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I think the Lamar Odom drafting of Khloe over Kim should be up there too. If damn Humphries could get Kim in NJ on a low salary I have to think Lamar stood a pretty great chance being in LA with big bucks. He had one of those David Khan moments.....

KnicksR4Real
11-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Nets or Heat. How in the hell is the Knicks even there? So much hate.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Nets or Heat. How in the hell is the Knicks even there? So much hate.

Nets got the better player in d-will.

Its not hate, let melo prove what he's capaple of, and then do the talking.
At this point he has proven absolutely nothing.

Hellcrooner
11-05-2011, 05:35 PM
How is signing a superstar(melo), or borderline superstar, a bad deal he will probably carry the knicks year in and year out even after amares knees give in.

when you lose ALL of your valuable assets ( except stou) to get him.

bholly
11-05-2011, 05:39 PM

they didn't have the MLE.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-05-2011, 05:42 PM
they didn't have the MLE.

oh yes they did.

riley was a genius

blahblahyoutoo
11-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Nets by far!! The Heat had to do what they had to do to make room, Arenas is actually their best pg but unfortunately Van Gundy has a love affair with Nelson, NY needed another superstar next to Amare by any means necessary and they finally got to the playoffs, and "old under producing" Johnson just went about his usual business of being an allstar and getting ATL to the second round.

Outlaw as you said, no explanation needed. He's a cautionary tale at this point.

If just getting to the playoffs was the goal, they shouldve left things alone since they were already on their way.
Memo would've signed in the off season and they would've kept their young core.

and i feel that atlanta won DESPITE JJ, not because of him.

blahblahyoutoo
11-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Cuz many feel he would've signed in the off season and kept the core intact.
And he is overrated / overpaid IMO. His greed could cost the Knicks a big 3.

bholly
11-05-2011, 05:55 PM
oh yes they did.

riley was a genius

are you really saying that, or is it sarcasm to mock the people who usually take that line of reasoning?

shep33
11-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Joe Johnson's contract should be the winner here. That is going to haunt Atlanta for years to come.

City
11-05-2011, 06:08 PM
'Melo one was stupid.

City
11-05-2011, 06:09 PM
To clarify my statement I mean it was stupid how they put the signing of 'Melo as a bad deal. LOL

Evolution23
11-05-2011, 07:09 PM

Go ahead and face palm yourself

daleja424
11-05-2011, 07:14 PM
oh yes they did.

riley was a genius

oh no we didn't. Miami fit all 5 FA's under the cap. All 5 took less money to do it.

You do not get a MLE if you start the offseason under the cap.

edit: if you were just mocking others... ignore this comment... if not... read above.

iam brett favre
11-05-2011, 07:32 PM
heat signing chris bosh

blahblahyoutoo
11-05-2011, 07:34 PM

why? are yo fillins be hurt?

nycericanguy
11-05-2011, 07:36 PM

its called baiting...

iam brett favre
11-05-2011, 07:38 PM
why? are your fillins hurt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqNCF74cAeQ&feature=related
His were

blahblahyoutoo
11-05-2011, 07:42 PM
heat signing chris bosh

nah, while he may not be as valuable as wade and LB who are making similar money, he definitely is worth his $16M.
he probably would've gotten a couple M more from other teams (CHI, NY) if he didn't team up with his pals.

blahblahyoutoo
11-05-2011, 07:43 PM
His were

probably. normal emotions to have when you lose in the finals.
i don't see anything wrong with that. do you?

blahblahyoutoo
11-05-2011, 07:45 PM
its called baiting...

who's baiting?

smith&wesson
11-05-2011, 07:58 PM
i thikn d.will was a bad trade for the nets. they gave up alot and there is no guarantee that he will resign.

nyKnicks126
11-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Knicks haters... once again nothing new.. overrated Melo?

Bosh is overrated and so are your heat.

BuddhaMONK
11-05-2011, 08:07 PM
nah, while he may not be as valuable as wade and LB who are making similar money, he definitely is worth his $16M.
he probably would've gotten a couple M more from other teams (CHI, NY) if he didn't team up with his pals.

he was offered a max contract from toronto

29$JerZ
11-05-2011, 09:35 PM
It's clearly the 5 year Travis Outlaw deal NJ gave him.
I don't see why people view Melo as Overrated or a worse deal than Deron.
Melo is signed for the longterm, Deron isn't.
Over paid yes, but overrated idk why that Keeps getting thrown around.

likemystylez
11-05-2011, 09:42 PM
It's clearly the 5 year Travis Outlaw deal NJ gave him.
I don't see why people view Melo as Overrated or a worse deal than Deron.
Melo is signed for the longterm, Deron isn't.
Over paid yes, but overrated idk why that Keeps getting thrown around.

Im a big fan of melo, and I think hes clearly a max player. When he is on- there isnt a better pure scorer in the game.

I think the knock on him though is this... when denver lost him (and billups)... they didnt get much worse?... thats not to say it doesnt hurt the team though. Melo is the kind of player that other free agents would want to come and play along side. Now I dont even know if Nene is considering going back to denver.

mttwlsn16
11-05-2011, 09:56 PM
the cavs getting pretty much zero in return for lebron lol

bagwell368
11-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Interesting nobody mentioned Perkins.

The initial reaction is the Celts made a mistake - but that was by experts who thought of Perkins as the 2007-2010 Perkins, not the two bum knee, blocks cut in half, can't move side to side Perkins. Perkins only played 29 of 82 regular season games, and then get dominated in every playoff series he played in for OKC. He was beyond brutal. By the end of the playoffs the opinion had shifted quite a bit - since people started to realize the Celts couldn't match the contract extension OKC forked over. They offered Perkins $22M for 4 years which was a solid deal - for a starter that averages about 26 MPG when he is healthy, and has almost no offense whatever.

The Celts got matching contract rights on Green and #1 pick. While Shaq never was able to help when it counted, a broken down Perk wouldn't have saved the Celtics last year. The worst calculation DA made is not realizing Rondo would be largely ineffective the rest of the season due to his overly emotional (even childish) response to the deal.

So, how many 6' 11" 270 lb guys with two bum knees ever get it together again afterwards? OKC paid him $34.8M over 4 years, when we see what the new cap is we'll know if that's a below average move by OKC, or a disaster. In August he was arrested for public drinking and disorderly conduct - and I had heard he was working out hard. We'll see. IMO this will be seen as the wrong move by OKC - with potential for a disaster.

Tony_Starks
11-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Im a big fan of melo, and I think hes clearly a max player. When he is on- there isnt a better pure scorer in the game.

I think the knock on him though is this... when denver lost him (and billups)... they didnt get much worse?... thats not to say it doesnt hurt the team though. Melo is the kind of player that other free agents would want to come and play along side. Now I dont even know if Nene is considering going back to denver.

Yeah my thing with Melo is he's definitely top 10 but he's not like a D Wade or Lebron who will throw you on his back and get you to the finals. Now that may change now that he's playing with another top 10 guy but its not like his teams in Denver were exactly horrible.

All in all though if Im New York I still make that deal though. They gave up a whole lineup but at the end of the day they went through too much the last few years to just walk away with Amare and filler. With him and Melo you can definitely build.

Dade County
11-05-2011, 10:40 PM
His were

That was my first time watching that.

ChiSox219
11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Joe Johnson and Travis Outlaw for worst contract.

The Gortat or Rashard trades by Orlando for worst trade

Amir is a good player. Gooden and Outlaw were awful decisions.

Interesting nobody mentioned Perkins.

The initial reaction is the Celts made a mistake - but that was by experts who thought of Perkins as the 2007-2010 Perkins, not the two bum knee, blocks cut in half, can't move side to side Perkins. Perkins only played 29 of 82 regular season games, and then get dominated in every playoff series he played in for OKC. He was beyond brutal. By the end of the playoffs the opinion had shifted quite a bit - since people started to realize the Celts couldn't match the contract extension OKC forked over. They offered Perkins $22M for 4 years which was a solid deal - for a starter that averages about 26 MPG when he is healthy, and has almost no offense whatever.

The Celts got matching contract rights on Green and #1 pick. While Shaq never was able to help when it counted, a broken down Perk wouldn't have saved the Celtics last year. The worst calculation DA made is not realizing Rondo would be largely ineffective the rest of the season due to his overly emotional (even childish) response to the deal.

So, how many 6' 11" 270 lb guys with two bum knees ever get it together again afterwards? OKC paid him $34.8M over 4 years, when we see what the new cap is we'll know if that's a below average move by OKC, or a disaster. In August he was arrested for public drinking and disorderly conduct - and I had heard he was working out hard. We'll see. IMO this will be seen as the wrong move by OKC - with potential for a disaster.

The Celtics destroyed their title hopes with that trade and now have to rebuild. Jeff Green isn't a guy who can be a 1 or 2 on a contending team. Maybe that draft pick pans out but LAC could be a playoff team so the Celtics will need to get a steal.

For OKC they sent a player they didn't need and a pick that was overvalued. Perkins may be overpaid (or not who knows at this point) but he added strength and defense inside, which was what OKC needed.

Dade County
11-05-2011, 10:49 PM
the cavs getting pretty much zero in return for lebron lol

He was a free agent... the Cav's are lucky they got something for him.

ChiSoxJuan
11-05-2011, 10:55 PM
The problem with Melo is that he's just not a good enough passer. Even as a Knick with Amare on the floor he continues to force shots up when he should be looking for the open man. He just doesn't have good court vision. When he's hot he's one of the best clutch shooters in the NBA. He can light it up quickly & carry it home. When he's not, he broods. He becomes lackadaisical on D & is often out of position. I think he could be a T10 player but he needs a coach that is commited to getting more out of him. D'Antoni isn't that guy. He's more likely to treat him like a diva & let him do his own thing.

You can see the story in his stats. Overall he's blk'd 4% of the time. Durant only 3%. In Clutch time, Melo is blk'd 8% of the time. Durant only 2%. If Melo ever wants to be a T10 player he needs to get that down & that requires him to pass the ball more. It will take a great coach to get that out of him.

worst deal: JJ for ATL. His production is no where close to that salary. He was a +5.9 PER & for that kind of $ ATL could have gotten two players with that kind of production. They would have been better off losing him as a FA & getting some form of compensation for him from a S&T.

beasted86
11-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Travis Outlaw easy. Worst starter in the NBA.

Yes, I said it.... worse than Joel Anthony as a starting center. At least Joel Anthony has a defined role he's decent at. He blocks shots, sets hard screens, rotates on defense and hustles. What does Travis Outlaw do? Is he supposed to be a scorer? rebound? spot up shoot? defend? pass? hustle?

I don't think there's one discernible aspect of the game Outlaw was good at.

knicksfan42
11-06-2011, 12:44 AM

Wilson (definatively playing in China this season) Chandler + Gallinari < Melo, Felton + Mozgov < Billips + Filler (especially Anthony Carter who played very well in number of games). As for valuable assets: Billups, Fields, Shumpert, and Douglas. Chandler wouldn't have been an asset this season and we probably wouldn't have resigned him anyway, Gallinari would have been a valuable asset, but so what we got Melo for him if it was Melo for Gallo straight there wouldn't be any complaints about us losing assets, Billups is probably a better asset than Felton and Mozgov, we did lose AR for nothing so that kind of sucks, but enough to make the trade one of the worst deals of the season? Definitely not.

Hawkeye15
11-06-2011, 01:02 AM

sure there is.

To the answer of this thread? Outlaw. He was being paid all star money to suck bad.

Beltrans Mole
11-06-2011, 01:23 AM
The trade for Melo put the Knicks back on the map....haters.

Punk
11-06-2011, 01:30 AM

Taking a lottery team to the playoffs for 8 years in a row is nothing right?

24ppg & 8 rebounds as career numbers aren't nothing?

Taking the Nuggets to the Western Conference Finals? Continuing to keep Denver relevant despite injuries yearly to Nene and Martin?

4 time All-Star.

2nd best clutch player in the league.

Do you want me to continue to embarrass your post? I guess LeBron has proven nothing as well, right?

VillaMaravilla
11-06-2011, 02:20 AM
Since when did Melo become overated since he got to the Knicks? Kind of funny a Heat fan talking about overated players lmao...you guys should worry about your choker team and about filling that arena

Raph12
11-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Shard for Gil wasn't as bad as VC, MP & Gortat for JRich & Turk... Magic downgraded hard last season.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-06-2011, 03:16 AM
oh no we didn't. Miami fit all 5 FA's under the cap. All 5 took less money to do it.

You do not get a MLE if you start the offseason under the cap.

edit: if you were just mocking others... ignore this comment... if not... read above.

I really thought they had the MLE.....my bad:p

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-06-2011, 03:19 AM

actually Bosh is highly underrated

naps
11-06-2011, 06:09 AM
Joe Johnson and it's not even close. Joe Johnson = Next Rashard Lewsi and Gilbert Arenas.

StanfordChamps
11-06-2011, 09:48 AM
If the Heat didn't get rid of beasley they wouldn't have been able to get Lebron....

StanfordChamps
11-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Since when did Melo become overated since he got to the Knicks? Kind of funny a Heat fan talking about overated players lmao...you guys should worry about your choker team and about filling that arena

You guys worry about winning a playoff game ****ing idiot.

blahblahyoutoo
11-06-2011, 11:48 AM

these NY fans are real classy... attacking heat fans personally because I posted something that they didn't agree with.
hey smart guys, try READING the post. that wasn't my list.

Jays Claw
11-06-2011, 12:36 PM

Amir johnson been a rapter since 09, he wasn't traded last season.

He was talking about the deal BC gave Amir in the offseason.

KnicksR4Real
11-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Did you see what he did last year? How many points he scored, his efficiency? His game winning shots? People were talking about the Knicks more than ever when he came here.

KnicksR4Real
11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
actually Bosh is highly underrated

Look at his contract, and ask other Heat fans if they had a chance to change signing him. Most would say yes.

todu82
11-06-2011, 01:42 PM
The Deron Williams trade to New Jersey

blahblahyoutoo
11-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Look at his contract, and ask other Heat fans if they had a chance to change signing him. Most would say yes.

for who at that price?

5ass
11-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Shard for Gil wasn't as bad as VC, MP & Gortat for JRich & Turk... Magic downgraded hard last season.

i agree, VC>J-rich and we lost a lot of depth with pietrus and gortat (cant believe we didnt have a back up center) just to get a bad contract in turk..

NetsPaint
11-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Joe Johnson might be the worst deal. The Playoffs shortly before he got the big contract he did not play that well. As far as I know he wasn't hurt. He seems to have been playing mediocre for what his contract is worth.

Tony_Starks
11-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Joe Johnson might be the worst deal. The Playoffs shortly before he got the big contract he did not play that well. As far as I know he wasn't hurt. He seems to have been playing mediocre for his contract is worth.

People can complain about the money he makes but at the end of the day they got to the second round last year and he's still an allstar and all NBA so Im pretty sure they would do that again no question.

I'd rather have an overpaid star and have a competitive exciting team than have cap money and the team be a lottery bound laughing stock......

blahblahyoutoo
11-06-2011, 02:48 PM
People can complain about the money he makes but at the end of the day they got to the second round last year and he's still an allstar and all NBA so Im pretty sure they would do that again no question.

I'd rather have an overpaid star and have a competitive exciting team than have cap money and the team be a lottery bound laughing stock......

like i said earlier, they made the playoffs despite him, not because of him.
jsmooth and horford carried the team.

if i were a hawk fan, i would not have been happy about that signing one bit.

nyKnicks126
11-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Spacolie716
11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
the worst trade was the heat trade, because being dead last in point off the bench, Beasely would of provided more points and been a better defender than Miller. But the worst of all is Travis Outlaw, first his stats from the previous years dont even grant him to get a 7 mil a year contract anyways, but then having one of the worst years in your career doesnt help much either.

Spacolie716
11-06-2011, 03:27 PM
oh yeah for you idiots, LBJ got traded and signed on July 9th, and Beasley got traded on the 12th, so they could of kept him.

dhopisthename
11-06-2011, 03:39 PM

without bosh we don't get lebron so I do that deal every time, and every team with the cap space to do so was offering bosh a max

GodsSon
11-06-2011, 03:52 PM
without bosh we don't get lebron so I do that deal every time, and every team with the cap space to do so was offering bosh a max

Market dictates value. With that said, there's no way he's worth 22 mil in the last year of that deal.

Rego247
11-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Market dictates value. With that said, there's no way he's worth 22 mil in the last year of that deal.

Yup.

GiantsSwaGG
11-06-2011, 04:19 PM

What has D-Will done troll?

unleashthebeast
11-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Absolutely incorrect. Ask any real HEAT fan, and every single one of us will sign Bosh. This comment really doesnt make any sense, what type of fans are you talking to that say we shouldn't have signed bosh?

Corey
11-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Absolutely incorrect. Ask any real HEAT fan, and every single one of us will sign Bosh. This comment really doesnt make any sense, what type of fans are you talking to that say we shouldn't have signed bosh?

I think the real question is: "When are you guys going to cut the **** with the capitalization thing?". :laugh2:

Ovratd1up
11-06-2011, 09:03 PM
HOLY ****, it's true.

smiddy012
11-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Carlos Boozer. Did absolutely nothing in the playoffs, was injured throughout the season. Wish we never signed him - he is a waste or reps.

Bishnoff
11-06-2011, 09:25 PM
The Suns trading Amar'e for a TPE which was then squandered was a pretty bad move.

LA_Raiders
11-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Orlando IMO

Knicks21
11-06-2011, 09:53 PM

According to PSD, Gallo is overrated. Chandler was gone anyway, Felton was good. There is no point in being mediocre, do you honestly think we could have made the finals with that core? Only way Mavericks made it because of all the dough they spent, they were what, 30m over the cap?

bholly
11-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I think the real question is: "When are you guys going to cut the **** with the capitalization thing?". :laugh2:

1000 times this. so cringeworthy.

KH12
11-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Carlos Boozer. Did absolutely nothing in the playoffs, was injured throughout the season. Wish we never signed him - he is a waste or reps.

Strongly disagree.

Also, check out our record with and without him last year.

CityofChaos
11-07-2011, 12:11 AM
David Lee $80 Million Sign and Trade Package:

Warriors lose:

-Anthony Randolph
-Ronny Turiaf
-Kelenna Azubuike
-2nd Round Draft Pick

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-07-2011, 04:30 AM
What has D-Will done troll?

nvm

JordansBulls
11-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Heat giving up Beasley made room to sign the big 3.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-07-2011, 03:05 PM

And Deron Williams has?

SteBO
11-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Don't HATE! :D

29$JerZ
11-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Don't HATE! :D

HATE is an anagram for HEAT
Just saying :hide: