PDA

View Full Version : This Current Player = This Former Player

Ebbs
11-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Ok so this is a game where you compare a player currently to someone you believe played extremely similar back in the day.

3 Rules:

1) Name the two players
2) Say which is the better version
3) when you quote the person above you say whether you agree or disagree with the comparison before you throw your 2 players out.

I'll start it off:

Shawn Marion is a lesser version of Scottie Pippen.

thenetslegend
11-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Ok so this is a game where you compare a player currently to someone you believe played extremely similar back in the day.

3 Rules:

1) Name the two players
2) Say which is the better version
3) when you quote the person above you say whether you agree or disagree with the comparison before you throw your 2 players out.

I'll start it off:

Shawn Marion is a lesser version of Scottie Pippen.

agreed

vince carter is a lesser version of jordan

Rentzias
11-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Disamuthafuggingree, need to add more "lessers" to that sentence.

Anthony Carter is a lesser, non-Heisman Trophy winning version of Charlie Ward.

MiamiBoy77
11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Sam Cassell is the lesser version of ET

Ebbs
11-02-2011, 01:58 PM
agreed

I have thought that at times to. Vince has become severely underrated on PSD in an all time since.

Disamuthafuggingree, need to add more "lessers" to that sentence.

Anthony Carter is a lesser, non-Heisman Trophy winning version of Charlie Ward.

I didn't see enough of Ward or remember enough of Ward to say for sure but statistically they seem compatible.

Joe Johnson is a lesser version of Clyde Drexler.

Celticsfan2007
11-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Agreed.

Kobe Bryant is a lesser version of Michael Jordan

beliges
11-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I have thought that at times to. Vince has become severely underrated on PSD in an all time since.

I didn't see enough of Ward or remember enough of Ward to say for sure but statistically they seem compatible.

What has VC done to deserve any praise. The man is the greatest dunker to ever grace the court. Outside of that, he was nothing more than an average all star. He was never great, he was never elite and he has never done anything that would make him elite.

Ebbs
11-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Agreed.

Kobe Bryant is a lesser version of Michael Jordan

Disagree

Kobe has a different style of play IMO. I think Vince or Wade or better comparisons currenty playing.

Andre Miller is a slightly lesser version of Mark Jackson

rapjuicer06
11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Disagree

Kobe has a different style of play IMO. I think Vince or Wade or better comparisons currenty playing.

Andre Miller is a slightly lesser version of Mark Jackson

Agreed

Reggie Evans is a lesser version of Dennis Rodman

magichatnumber9
11-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Dwight Howard is the lesser version of Wilt Chamberlain.

PhillyFaninLA
11-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Dwight Howard is the lesser version of Wilt Chamberlain.

Lebron James is a lesser version of Magic Johnson

Evan Turner is a lesser version of Grant Hill (a healthy young Grant Hill)

edit:

Added the above quote as per TC's original post and adding my comment about the quoted as per TC's original post.

I agree Dwight is lesser but I don't think from a style standpoint they are the same type of players. Dwight isn't the same aggressive well rounded player as Wilt he is more of a conservative great defender that is to much bigger (total mass) then most players to not score a bit and grab rebounds. I don't know how good Dwight would have been in the mid 90's. So I don't think Wilt or even Shaq is a good comparison to Wilt, they are not long enough or athletic enough because they are both tough players with a ton of mass and are just bigger then everyone else.

Wade>You
11-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Dwight Howard is the lesser version of Wilt Chamberlain.I'd say Howard is a lesser version of Alonzo Mourning, and Shaq is a lesser version of Wilt Chamberlain.

thenetslegend
11-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Lebron James is a lesser version of Magic Johnson

Evan Turner is a lesser version of Grant Hill (a healthy young Grant Hill)

disagree

demarcus cousins is a lesser shaq

lvlheaded
11-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Amar'e is a better version of Shawn Kemp

Idk why but I think of Kemp when I watch Amare play

PhillyFaninLA
11-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Amar'e is a better version of Shawn Kemp

Idk why but I think of Kemp when I watch Amare play

disagree strongly

Amar'e is a lesser version of Shawn Kemp

wjmoffatt
11-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I'd say Howard is a lesser version of Alonzo Mourning, and Shaq is a lesser version of Wilt Chamberlain.

NO WAY Alonzo Mourning is better than Dwight, slap yourself :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

Bravo95
11-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Edit: Misread the instructions.

ManningToTyree
11-02-2011, 03:05 PM
disagree strongly

Amar'e is a lesser version of Shawn Kemp

disagree

Lebron is a greater version of Pippen

beasted86
11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
disagree

Lebron is a greater version of Pippen

Agreed.

Blake Griffin is a greater version of Larry Johnson.

Wade>You
11-02-2011, 03:36 PM
NO WAY Alonzo Mourning is better than Dwight, slap yourself :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:Why, because he suffered an injury that shortened his career? Even the old Alonzo would win matchups against the young Dwight. I wonder if you've ever even watched Alonzo Mourning play.

Bookey
11-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Why, because he suffered an injury that shortened his career? Even the old Alonzo would win matchups against the young Dwight. I wonder if you've ever even watched Alonzo Mourning play.

Exactly Zo was beast in his prime, and is better than Dwight

NYKalltheway
11-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Zo > D12 hands down...

I think this thread just speaks for itself. X Current player is a lesser version of X Former player

Hawkeye15
11-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Bernard King is a lesser version of Melo

Lakers + Giants
11-02-2011, 03:52 PM
DJ Mbenga is Slava Medvedenko.

faze38
11-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Agreed.

Blake Griffin is a greater version of Larry Johnson.

agree

Cp3 when healthy is the better version of Isiah Thomas

Corey
11-02-2011, 05:54 PM
agree

Cp3 when healthy is the better version of Isiah Thomas

Agree, but Isiah was more overrated than Paul.

Ray Allen, Reggie Miller. Ray is a slightly better version.

BuddhaMONK
11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
bosh is the lesser version of garnett....I know garnett is still playing, but he's a former player in my eyes

BuddhaMONK
11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
dirk lesser of bird

Kobe greater of jordan (HERE COMES THE COMMENTS) ....Kobe did it all with zone defence.

Stack_NJNets
11-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Blake Griffin = Charles Barkley.

naps
11-02-2011, 06:50 PM
NO WAY Alonzo Mourning is better than Dwight, slap yourself :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

He was right. You probably never watched Alonzo Mourning. Too bad he lost prime was lost due to his kidney problems. Alonzo Mourning was the definition of toughness.

naps
11-02-2011, 06:52 PM
bosh is the lesser version of garnett....I know garnett is still playing, but he's a former player in my eyes

Disagree. Bosh is a finesse guy and Garnett was/is all about toughness and intensity.

Wade is a lesser and the only similar breed of Michael Jordan. His playing style reminds me of so much of Jordan.

smith&wesson
11-02-2011, 06:52 PM
lebrons mom is the lesser versian of vince carters mom

BuddhaMONK
11-02-2011, 07:01 PM
ray allen greater than reggie millar

smith&wesson
11-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Disagree. Bosh is a finesse guy and Garnett was/is all about toughness and intensity.

Wade is a lesser and the only similar breed of Michael Jordan. His playing style reminds me of so much of Jordan.

Kobe says hello.

Iggz53
11-02-2011, 07:12 PM

Wade's game reminds me of 80's MJ, whereas Kobe's game is more similar to 90's MJ imo (more jump shooting, post game, differing at the top rather than driving and kicking, etc).

Lamar Odom a lesser Arvydas Sabonis

Hawkeye15
11-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Iverson was a lesser Derrick Rose. Yep, I said it.

naps
11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Kobe says hello.

I failed to see that. For the record I followed MJ for most of his career. I agree that Kobe is similar to later part of Jordan's career when he became more of a jump shooter.

mdm692
11-02-2011, 07:21 PM
derrick rose is a lesser version of allen iverson

Hawkeye15
11-02-2011, 07:31 PM

haha, read above. I have it the other way around...

naps
11-02-2011, 07:32 PM

Agreed.

Vince Carter is a lesser version of Dr. J.

Chacarron
11-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Agreed.

Vince Carter is a lesser version of Dr. J.

Disagree.

Danny Granger is James Worthy plus 3-point shot.

smith&wesson
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I failed to see that. For the record I followed MJ for most of his career. I agree that Kobe is similar to later part of Jordan's career when he became more of a jump shooter.

early kobe and early jordan were both more athletic

later kobe and later jordan both more of a jump shooting style.

in no way am i saying kobe is as good as jordan was but you really fail to see the similiarities ?? d.wade has a strong case as well but you clearly said he is THE ONLY similar breed of Michael Jordan.. and thats simply not true.

BuddhaMONK
11-02-2011, 09:40 PM

in no way am i saying kobe is as good as jordan was but you really fail to see the similiarities ?? d.wade has a strong case as well but you clearly said he is THE ONLY similar breed of Michael Jordan.. and thats simply not true.

The big question is how good would jordan have been if zone defence was allowed when he played, and how good would kobe have been if it wasn't allowed. That's why these players are hell of a lot closer to each other than people give them credit for.

GREATNESS ONE
11-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Disagree.

Danny Granger is James Worthy plus 3-point shot.

Disagree. Close though:) "Big Game" was the man lol

Current Deron Williams is a lesser version of John Stockton

:p Some people just have "hate blinders" they can't accept a certain player. It happens all the time lol Who cares:shrug: but for what it's worth I agree with everything you've said.

The big question is how good would jordan have been if zone defence was allowed when he played, and how good would kobe have been if it wasn't allowed. That's why these players are hell of a lot closer to each other than people give them credit for.

Great question and the way I look at it both these men dominated their decades as players. Was a pleasure to watch both these legends. And for what it's worth, I think if they flipped careers, they both would dominate their decades:)

naps
11-02-2011, 10:34 PM

Jordan played 9 years of his career with zone defense as I believe. And still he was incredibly efficient with that. Most of his seasons were ~50% shooting throughout his career except those 17 games comeback and wizards years. Kobe never had better than ~46%. So that logic doesn't really apply.

Now think about the hand check rule. New rules were introduced to curtail hand-checking, clarify blocking fouls and call defensive three seconds to open up the game. If you compare the league's top perimeter players before and after the rules, you will see an improve in their scoring and shooting %. This is no coincidence. Michael Jordan never played with the same type of hand-check rule as the game is called today.

Now before people start attacking (zone defense), in the 2001-02 season jordan at age of 38 was averaging 25 points for aprox. 50 games before he got injured. He endd the season at 39 years old and 22.9 ppg.

In his last season he was 40 years old and averaged 20.0 ppg on 44.5 % shooting. He almost shot 45 % from the field as a 40-year old with injured knees and 3 years of retirement.

He scored 40 or more points 8 times during that period, including one 50-point game. In 2002 he scored 40 or more 5 times, that was SECOND best in the league behind iverson with 8, IIRC.

If jordan did all that at the ages of 38-40, with injured knees, and 3 years of retirement, can you imagine what he could do, say, at 25 years old??

Here's a LINK (http://hoopsapedia.webs.com/nbahandchecking.htm) that would give a better picture of what I am talking about. Just looking at the pictures will give you the impression.

PlezPlayDKnicks
11-02-2011, 10:38 PM
haha, read above. I have it the other way around...

Derrick Rose is a greater version of Stephon Marbury with the heart of AI:clap:
Or what people expected Steph Marb 2 be Rose has become

naps
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM

Haha..that's what happens when people misread. I was talking about their playing STYLES. Wade is the one who always reminds me of Jordan with the way he goes at defenses, specially attacking the baskets. I never felt that chill after Jordan retired in 98 and until I saw Wade play. It could vary from people to people. No big deal.

StanfordChamps
11-02-2011, 10:41 PM
God= lesser version of Lebron James

BuddhaMONK
11-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Jordan played 9 years of his career with zone defense as I believe. And still he was incredibly efficient with that. Most of his seasons were ~50% shooting throughout his career except those 17 games comeback and wizards years. Kobe never had better than ~46%. So that logic doesn't really apply.

Now think about the hand check rule. New rules were introduced to curtail hand-checking, clarify blocking fouls and call defensive three seconds to open up the game. If you compare the league's top perimeter players before and after the rules, you will see an improve in their scoring and shooting %. This is no coincidence. Michael Jordan never played with the same type of hand-check rule as the game is called today.

Now before people start attacking (zone defense), in the 2001-02 season jordan at age of 38 was averaging 25 points for aprox. 50 games before he got injured. He endd the season at 39 years old and 22.9 ppg.

In his last season he was 40 years old and averaged 20.0 ppg on 44.5 % shooting. He almost shot 45 % from the field as a 40-year old with injured knees and 3 years of retirement.

He scored 40 or more points 8 times during that period, including one 50-point game. In 2002 he scored 40 or more 5 times, that was SECOND best in the league behind iverson with 8, IIRC.

If jordan did all that at the ages of 38-40, with injured knees, and 3 years of retirement, can you imagine what he could do, say, at 25 years old??

Here's a LINK (http://hoopsapedia.webs.com/nbahandchecking.htm) that would give a better picture of what I am talking about. Just looking at the pictures will give you the impression.

Zone defence wasn't allowed until 2001-2 season, jordan played his entire career with the exception of the two years in washington without zone..All his glory days were without zone defence.

naps
11-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Zone defence wasn't allowed until 2001-2 season, jordan played his entire career with the exception of the two years in washington without zone..All his glory days were without zone defence.

My bad, you are right. But then again, look at the following part:

^^All signs point toward continuation of flat out domination by Jordan had he played with zone in his glory years. I hope you looked the part where I explained the hand-checking rule because with that in place Jordan would score 40+ night in night out.

MTar786
11-03-2011, 03:28 PM
shannon brown is a lesser version of chris brown

smith&wesson
11-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Haha..that's what happens when people misread. I was talking about their playing STYLES. Wade is the one who always reminds me of Jordan with the way he goes at defenses, specially attacking the baskets. I never felt that chill after Jordan retired in 98 and until I saw Wade play. It could vary from people to people. No big deal.

i didnt misread ? i am also talking about their playing style. anyways i agree its a difference of opinion.

MTar786
11-03-2011, 03:36 PM
shaq is a lesser version to nobody,

shaq>wilt>dwight
yao>bradley
jordan>kobe>mcgrady
lebron>pippen>marion
reggie>allen>rip hamilton (running off screens wise)
bird>dirk
drexler>nique>carter
kemp>amare
iverson>rose>marbury>francis
mugsy bogues>earl boykins :)

guys like hakeem, wade, duncan, garnett, kareem and magic are all so unique that i cant think of anyone to compare them to.
btw.. explain joe johnson and drexler? i dont understand that comparison for whoever said that

bagwell368
11-03-2011, 03:37 PM

Bosh can't pass like KG, he can't play D like KG, he doesn't have the low post moves of KG, and he clearly lacks the sack of KG.

KG >>> Bosh.

David Robinson is like Bill Russell - but better.

MTar786
11-03-2011, 03:40 PM

no offense. but wade and jordan are hardly similar. the only thing i cant think of is the way they drive to the hoop. personally i think wade was a better slasher than mj. but jordan is better in every single other aspect. wade is also maybe a better help defender. thats not enough to draw a comparison. their games are very much different. Im not knocking wade. I just think he is very unique and should not be compared to anybody

iam brett favre
11-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Larry Bird will eventually be seen as a lesser version of Gordon Hayward

uprightciti
11-03-2011, 04:04 PM
1) scott pollard & brian scalabrine
NO ONE IS BETTER THAN THEM!

disagree