PDA

View Full Version : Chris Herren

bcc
11-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I saw that documentary "Unguarded" last night and thought it was excellent. Herren was an NBA-level talent but certainly had his demons. You get the uneasy impression he's not completely "out of the woods" yet....and likely never will be.
Wondering if anyone else saw it and what your thoughts were.

NJ#1FAN
11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I did see it. I thought it was a great documentary. I couldn't take my eyes of the TV. Herren could really put the ball in the basket. He could have been a really good player but was sidetracked by his addiction. Glad to see he's OK now but he'll never completely recover. Addiction is something he'll have to battle the rest of his life.

jtchilln
11-02-2011, 12:12 PM
ESPN did a great job and I commend Chris for being so honest. Some of the stories he was telling literally I couldn't believe.

I was a sophmore and he was a senior and I remember EVERYONE talking about how this kid was the best local player ever in MA.

ShakeN'Bake
11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Anybody know if its airing again? I missed it but heard it was great.

NJ#1FAN
11-02-2011, 12:18 PM
ESPN did a great job and I commend Chris for being so honest. Some of the stories he was telling literally I couldn't believe.

Great point! His stories were captivating and they seemed to definitely hit home, even for non-addicts. It takes a lot to admit to most of the things he talked about but they say admittance is the first step to recovery.

NJ#1FAN
11-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Anybody know if its airing again? I missed it but heard it was great.

I'd watch it again if they do.

Purugskid
11-02-2011, 12:54 PM
" I used to shave and brush my teeth in the shower when I was a junkie, when I got sober my wife asked me why didn't she find the razor or tooth brush in my shower and I replied because now that I'm sober I can look myself in the mirror"

Best line of the documentary

bcc
11-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Watched it w/ my girlfriend who'd never heard of Chris Herren but now insists he is "gorgeous, one of the cutest guys I've seen. How tall is he?"

sigh...
Uh....Google him and find out for yourself, Rachel.

king4day
11-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I gotta watch this. He was on sports radio this morning. Forget if it was maddog radio or espn. But was a good listen.

Sportfan
11-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Honestly these ESPN Films are the best thing ESPN has done in YEARS. The "What if I told you?"commercials get me teary.

Gambeezy
11-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I've never even seen a mediocre ESPN Documentary. The 30 for 30 franchise is absolute quality. I didn't even know who Chris Herren was before this. The Doc was fantastic. Watched it with a buddy and was just planning to watch some Sportscenter when I came across it. Couldn't turn the channel. Had to sack up at a few parts that force a knot into your throat. It's just crazy to see how he could find a way to fall even deeper down his black hole.

nyfinest4life
11-02-2011, 11:35 PM
he was on wfan 660 in new york with mike francesca bout a month ago n it was a great inteview. didnt get to see the documentary but i def wanna see it when it comes on again. my friend also told me i have to watch it.

iFYouSeekAmy
11-03-2011, 01:19 AM
" I used to shave and brush my teeth in the shower when I was a junkie, when I got sober my wife asked me why didn't she find the razor or tooth brush in my shower and I replied because now that I'm sober I can look myself in the mirror"

Best line of the documentary

Agree. Not exactly the quote, but close. That struck me when I was watching it last night. Glad that he's trying to fix his life up; but addiction is a hard disease to fight. The guy really had a lot on his plate: playing ball, supporting wife and two kids, and getting his drugs without anyone knowing about it.

Overall this was a great documentary. You guys should really watch it. ESPN: 30-for-30 has done it again.

ttam68
11-03-2011, 02:21 PM
"Had his demons" ~ enjoys crack

WeBallin
11-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Maybe the most talented white player to not make it.... or made it but was very short lived either way dude could play ball just shows you no matter what color we all face similar downfalls...

bcc
11-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Maybe the most talented white player to not make it.... or made it but was very short lived either way dude could play ball just shows you no matter what color we all face similar downfalls...

This.

Herren had a game that likely would've translated even better to the NBA; maybe a Scott Skiles kind of player but with more size and scoring ability.
Or a "bad *** scoring 1/2," as Doug Gottleib described him.

And its undeniable to state; as it is, the league can definitely use a charismatic, white, American-born player that fans can identify with.

Missing56&33
11-05-2011, 10:42 AM
I vaguely remember Herren but I just don't remember him going to Boston. To bad , the kid had a nice game, could have been something special. Thought the Celtics was very selfish to trade for the guy knowing he had drug problems. He was doing well in Denver, it was a bad move going to Boston.

GiantsSwaGG
11-05-2011, 11:58 AM
A guy who threw his life away for crack...

3mikee_
11-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Heard an interview with him and Bill Simmons and he genuinely sounded regretful of his past... definitely had talent but his head just wasn't in the right place.

GiantsSwaGG
11-05-2011, 12:00 PM
A guy who threw away his life for crack! What a shame.

KnicksR4Real
11-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Great story. I enjoyed watching it