PDA

View Full Version : If Baron Davis gets amnestied, Lakers are 1 of 3 options

C-Style
11-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Sources with knowledge of Davis' thinking told ESPN.com on Tuesday that Miami would not be at the top of Davis' list of potential free-agent destinations if the Cavs indeed decide to set him free.

Davis' hometown Los Angeles Lakers and the New York Knicks, sources say, are the two teams he's always dreamed of playing for.

Davis also still has a good relationship with the Charlotte community, Bobcats coach Paul Silas and Bobcats assistant coach Stephen Silas, all of which would likewise make the Bobcats an option if Michael Jordan is interested.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/33019/lakers-knicks-or-bobcats-for-baron

NBA_Starter
11-01-2011, 10:20 PM
He's dreamed of playing for them and idk about the NYK but I don't see how Charlotte would need him.

C-Style
11-01-2011, 10:22 PM
lakers would be a great fit for him to revive his career, I just think he needs that kick in the *** from a winning team.

& before ppl begin talking about how he will get schooled by faster guards, note that there is not 1 guard who doesn't get burned defensively by a top 5 guard.

C-Style
11-01-2011, 10:23 PM
He's dreamed of playing for them and idk about the NYK but I don't see how Charlotte would need him.

Knicks dont need him either, they have Billups

NBA_Starter
11-01-2011, 10:24 PM
I guess he'd come off of the bench?

C-Style
11-01-2011, 10:26 PM
yeah, he can do that too I guess

NBA_Starter
11-01-2011, 10:28 PM
yeah, he can do that too I guess

He'd be fine, he can still score it, and you already addressed the defensive concerns.

Hellcrooner
11-01-2011, 10:32 PM
can he leave withouth being an scoring option?
i doubt it

GREATNESS ONE
11-01-2011, 10:33 PM
No thanks, I wouldn't like the move and really don't think it would benefit us to bring in a player like BD.

lakers4sho
11-01-2011, 10:51 PM
If he signs for the minimum then I'd give him a shot...I mean, can't get any worse than what we have right now right?

LA_Raiders
11-01-2011, 11:14 PM
We do need help at PG. He would be a great addition...

Chacarron
11-01-2011, 11:19 PM
If he signs for the minimum then I'd give him a shot...I mean, can't get any worse than what we have right now right?

Exactly. I'm okay with signing him as long as it's a one year rental worth the vet min.

LA_Raiders
11-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Davis
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Howard

$$$

Punk
11-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Knicks dont need him either, they have Billups

Actually, It helps us out and gives us an option if we decide to go with signing Dwight or trading for him.

Avenged
11-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Exactly. I'm okay with signing him as long as it's a one year rental worth the vet min.

Agree with both of you. But Baron is still solidly efficient, and just by looking at his numbers I'm very surprised on how good a passer he is. The only concern would be if he's physically fit to play the majority of games and playoffs which he seems to have problems with.. With the whole Bynum injuries, I really don't like Baron's lack of health in terms of basketball.

J4KOP99
11-02-2011, 12:35 AM
As long as he's in shape and willing to play team ball.

simsta
11-02-2011, 12:51 AM
Fear the beard

beliges
11-02-2011, 02:13 AM
No Baron Davis. Lakers need athleticism desperately. I dont see them picking up older veterans. Theyre gonna be looking to get younger.

kblo247
11-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Agree with both of you. But Baron is still solidly efficient, and just by looking at his numbers I'm very surprised on how good a passer he is. The only concern would be if he's physically fit to play the majority of games and playoffs which he seems to have problems with.. With the whole Bynum injuries, I really don't like Baron's lack of health in terms of basketball.

Well you could amnesty Blake.

Then you still have Fisher who is an iron man that we all know can play with Kobe and close games. But people forget that he and Davis played together in Golden State and that Derek spent most if his Utah time at SG. Out guard play would be instantly upgraded with Baron starting and Fisher taking the place of our erratic bench guards at both spots.

numba1CHANGsta
11-02-2011, 02:48 AM
I thought we needed a young athletic PG? BD is neither one of those, sure he can score but we need defense and athleticism at the Point.

D Blue987
11-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I thought we needed a young athletic PG? BD is neither one of those, sure he can score but we need defense and athleticism at the Point.

If he is healthy, he is better than Derek at this point in his career. Id sign him. I think with the right motivation, people would be really surprised at how good he can really be. Winning changes players. Baron hasnt had that anywhere in his career.

J4KOP99
11-02-2011, 01:11 PM
if he is healthy, he is better than derek at this point in his career. Id sign him. I think with the right motivation, people would be really surprised at how good he can really be. Winning changes players. Baron hasnt had that anywhere in his career.

+1

Avenged
11-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Well you could amnesty Blake.

Then you still have Fisher who is an iron man that we all know can play with Kobe and close games. But people forget that he and Davis played together in Golden State and that Derek spent most if his Utah time at SG. Out guard play would be instantly upgraded with Baron starting and Fisher taking the place of our erratic bench guards at both spots.

I agree with you but the only problem I'm seeing with Baron right now is his inability to stay healthy. We don't need to Bynum's in our starting lineup.

kblo247
11-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree with you but the only problem I'm seeing with Baron right now is his inability to stay healthy. We don't need to Bynum's in our starting lineup.

I get that but just being real here, our ironmen are wearing 2, 24, and 7.

The fact is we would get a good bit of production from him on a consistent basis. That would allow for in the let's say 10 or so games he misses, Derek to fill in for him. Our problem has been erratic guard play and running Fish for 30 mins too many nights during the season and even more clock in the playoffs chasing other guards because our backups have all sucked. The only time we had a consistent 3 guard rotation for the season and playoffs was with Sasha, so he is an upgrade whether he starts over Fish (which he should IMO) or comes off the bench behind Kobe and Fish to add scoring punch and a new dynamic with Lamar

midwestlaker75
11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Baron Davis would be a nice addition, It would have been even better five years ago. One thing we need to do is get younger. While old dogs like Kobe, Lamar and Gasol are still great players we know our time with them is short. Need to start giving guys like Ebanks and our draft choices Morris and Goudelock a chance we may just have some new blood to carry the torch. But if we must the BD would be a quality pickup as long as it doesn't cost too much cash.

kblo247
11-02-2011, 05:39 PM
How about sending those young guys to the d league now that the Dfenders will return?

You also have to remember that you can't rely on youth in a lockout season because the schedule becomes back to back to back games like in 99

kblo247
11-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Let me also say that if all things were equal and they were all willing to take the vet min,my choices would be

1. Delonte "I'm yo step daddy" West
2. Baron "I made a 100M but cant buy a razor" Davis
3. Gilbert "Where my nine at" Arenas

I just fear having Delonte on the same team as Artest. He knows Brown though and played great for him, can defend, can shoot, can pass, can start, can be a sixth man, but is just crazy.

I'd also like to give McGrady an offer. He would provide much needed playmaking and balanced skill set for the second team as well.

In short get Blake and Brown the **** outa here

beliges
11-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Let me also say that if all things were equal and they were all willing to take the vet min,my choices would be

1. Delonte "I'm yo step daddy" West
2. Baron "I made a 100M but cant buy a razor" Davis
3. Gilbert "Where my nine at" Arenas

I just fear having Delonte on the same team as Artest. He knows Brown though and played great for him, can defend, can shoot, can pass, can start, can be a sixth man, but is just crazy.

I'd also like to give McGrady an offer. He would provide much needed playmaking and balanced skill set for the second team as well.

Well the thing with all those names is that none of those guys are young or athletic. I dont think Lakers make any moves that does not get them younger and more athletic. These are the two aspect which caused the Lakers to get swept in last year's playoffs. Younger and more athletic or no trades.

Zefflin
11-02-2011, 08:55 PM

I think Tmac would and could start at point, being next to Kobe they would play great in the back court. Tmac would take a lesson from Kobe and feel young again. But that's dream talk. I wouldn't mind adding BD, he always killed us. he could start and fit well, he doesn't have to play fierce defense...i mean we've had blake brown and fisher for christs sake. Plus he could spare Kobe by taking some clutch shots. :)

LakersMaster24
11-02-2011, 09:30 PM
I think Tmac would and could start at point, being next to Kobe they would play great in the back court. Tmac would take a lesson from Kobe and feel young again. But that's dream talk. I wouldn't mind adding BD, he always killed us. he could start and fit well, he doesn't have to play fierce defense...i mean we've had blake brown and fisher for christs sake. Plus he could spare Kobe by taking some clutch shots. :)

So did Steve Blake...

kblo247
11-02-2011, 10:01 PM
So did Steve Blake...

And Artest lol

Hunter48MVP
11-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Davis
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Howard

$$$

:drool:

kblo247
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Then you relaize Pau is a C who can't defend or spread the floor at the NBA PF spot. I only salivate if we keep Odom with that group. Knowing Jimmy though, he may offer Pau and Lamar for Dwight ffs

GREATNESS ONE
11-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Then you relaize Pau is a C who can't defend or spread the floor at the NBA PF spot. I only salivate if we keep Odom with that group. Knowing Jimmy though, he may offer Pau and Lamar for Dwight ffs

:confused: huh....

GREATNESS ONE
11-02-2011, 11:04 PM
We don't need Baron Davis on this team, I agree with a couple posters comments. We have to look to be getting younger and more athletic and hopefully that's the first area addressed once this lockout ends. Buuut on the other hand, I do agree that winning does change a player and a player given a purpose to win a title can or can not change. So if we give him a 1 year Vet min kinda contract, I'm all for it but that cannot be our solution to the PG position heading into the year.

ldawg
11-02-2011, 11:45 PM
Davis would be great on a two yr deal. No way is he worst than fisher.

kblo247
11-03-2011, 12:55 AM
:confused: huh....

He is a C. He spent most of his career at C. He one his rings being the primary C. He and Bynum offer no kind of spacing to one another, they rely on Odom to come in and open the floor, which is why both men play miles better with Lamar than one another

bolts4ever
11-03-2011, 02:02 AM
best possible scenario

1)Luke retire please god!!!!!
2.) cut Artest (amnesty)

3) sign Baron Davis & Rashard Lewis

Zefflin
11-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Blake and Artest are and will be fine..

ldawg
11-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Blake and Artest are and will be fine..They should be fine out the triangle but Artest lack of speed and below to rim play is a bit of a concern.

Zefflin
11-03-2011, 01:34 PM
haha, artest leg speed is slow as hell, but he's a great defender for the bigger guys, takes pressure off kobe

beliges
11-03-2011, 01:54 PM
If Baron Davis is the starting PG of the Lakers then I guarantee an early playoff exit again. The Lakers will not sign Davis. No chance. They are looking to get younger and more athletic as these were their two problems last year. With Davis they get older, slower and less athletic. No chance.

DownUnder
11-03-2011, 09:18 PM
If Baron Davis is the starting PG of the Lakers then I guarantee an early playoff exit again. The Lakers will not sign Davis. No chance. They are looking to get younger and more athletic as these were their two problems last year. With Davis they get older, slower and less athletic. No chance.

BD won't be the starting PG. He'll come in as the backup PG/SG with Fish IMO. I can see them giving Morris plenty of playing time at the 1 with the other two coming off the bench. BD would provide the scoring punch off the bench with Fish and Goudelock the sharp shooters. T-Mac is another possibility. Gotta remember Brown is a defensive coach and Morris is a good defender and playmaker. It's his outside shooting that is the only knock.

ldawg
11-03-2011, 10:06 PM
With a short season and motivation to win a ring La should be good if they sign Davis, Tmac and a back up center. but they must come on a one year deal team option for a second. Not sure how they would be defensivly but on offense they would be hell. for get this is my team from Kobe and Bynum and feed the hot man or pass to the open man. La can not afford to sign young players that can play at this time they will have to do that once Odom, Artest, fisher, Walton etc fall of the books or by trade. They have to settle for solid vets that can still ball Rookies aint going to win you rings.

raiderNlakerfan
11-04-2011, 02:25 AM
Come on home B DIDDY!

kblo247
11-04-2011, 02:45 AM
BD won't be the starting PG. He'll come in as the backup PG/SG with Fish IMO. I can see them giving Morris plenty of playing time at the 1 with the other two coming off the bench. BD would provide the scoring punch off the bench with Fish and Goudelock the sharp shooters. T-Mac is another possibility. Gotta remember Brown is a defensive coach and Morris is a good defender and playmaker. It's his outside shooting that is the only knock.

You got to remember that a brown don't play rookies willingly either. He ran Eric Snow until the tires totally fell off before he ever gave Boobie Gibson a chance. He never gave Shannon any role either.

If Baron came, the likelihood is he has a 50/50 shot of starting or backing up Kobe and Fisher to run on the second unit with Artest and Odom. I honestly think Ron has a Isher shot of losing his job than Fisher and Ron has even said he thought it was possible he would be coming off the bench for Brown. Barnes has lost a ton of weight and his knee is right, so he may very well take the starting role and minutes he was already taking under Phil before he got hurt

KillaInstinct24
11-04-2011, 07:40 PM
sure why not add another inconsistent PG to the roster

kblo247
11-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Yeah because he wasn't consistent up in Cleveland ... Oh wait, he was.

He was happy to get away from Sterling, even if it meant making up with that fool of a coach Scott, and being stuck in Cleveland ... Says alot about the Clips actually

Avenged
11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Inconsistent how? Definitely not inconsistent. If we're talking about inconsistency of him actually staying healthy I agree.

ldawg
11-05-2011, 01:52 PM
If you are rebuilding no but to win within two years hell yes. But they got to look at Paul and William first.

C-Style
11-05-2011, 11:49 PM
If you are rebuilding no but to win within two years hell yes. But they got to look at Paul and William first.

:clap: