PDA

View Full Version : Who was the best player in the '08 Olympics?

Longhornfan1234
10-31-2011, 11:37 PM
I think it was Wade but a lot of people say it was Kobe.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2011, 11:41 PM
Kobe. He was our stopper, and played well on the offensive side as well.

Bruno
10-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Kobe. He was still on a physically elite level, and committed to locking down the other teams best perimeter player. He was leader and co-captain. He also won the game in the closing minutes when the white team played the blue team during the team USA scrimmage.

obviously it's close, but I give kobe the edge for the reasons above.

$KnicksAndKobe$
10-31-2011, 11:48 PM
Taking over against Spain in the final minutes with that 4- point play gives you chills

Sinestro
10-31-2011, 11:51 PM
Kobe Bryant came through in the clutch special props to Wade though he played awesome as well though

Bruno
10-31-2011, 11:51 PM
^Wade was also great.

Supreme LA
10-31-2011, 11:52 PM
Definitely Kobe but Wade was a close second. Kobe sparked that team the day he stepped in the practice gym. His defense and clutch play with key shots and key assists to Melo were the game-breakers.

Avenged
10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
Wade was great but I think people were so impressed by his play because he was coming off a major injury.

Bruno
11-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Wade was great but I think people were so impressed by his play because he was coming off a major injury.

x2

Dade County
11-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Wade

Go back and watch them games again, everyone played well, but Wade was on another level.

JNA17
11-01-2011, 08:05 AM
Kobe with Wade being a close 2nd.

RevisIsland
11-01-2011, 08:14 AM
It was Kobe. When we needed someone to step up and take over the Spain game, Kobe basically said get out of my way I'm winning us this game, and everyone deferred. He won us that gold medal in the end.

dnewguy
11-01-2011, 08:46 AM
LMAO....many people have Amnesia. Wade dominated all Olympics, Kobe showed up in 1 game...........how's Kobe the best player?

Wade was best, Melo was second best. Let's stop all the Kobe craziness once and for all. If you didn't watch it you have no right spouting your ignorance.

barreleffact
11-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Statistically, Wade was a beast....off the bench. He was a major factor and played on a surreal level regardless of his prior injuries. With that said, I have to say Kobe. Wade was all intensity the entire time and sparked some great runs, but Kobe had to do the other side of the ball while being a constant on offense and the closer. I have to go Kobe out of respect to the roles they played. Kobe had more responsibilities; Wade was just go score, steal, and dunk if my memory serves me correctly.

daleja424
11-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I think people should go back and watch the games. Wade was the spark off the bench. He was the best player and he did so even while volunteering to come off the bench. Kobe was clutch at the end of the Spain game... but I'm not sure you can ignore what Wade did the rest of the tournament.

http://www.usabasketball.com/seniormen/2008/stats/USA.HTM

Wade lead the team in scoring despite playing significantly less minutes. He also shot 67% from the field, and outpaced kobe in rebound, assists, and steals.

You realize that Wade scored more total points than Kobe despite shooting the ball 34 less times...

-Kobe24-TJ19-
11-01-2011, 09:02 AM
colby

SportsFanatic10
11-01-2011, 09:13 AM
wade for sure.

barreleffact
11-01-2011, 09:13 AM
^^^Kobe had to play with ballhog James and others whose role was offense. His role was not to score as often so he could focus defensively, and he STILL put up solid numbers.

Edit: I am indifferent now. Kobe did not have the role to score, yet he shot more than Wade or Lebron. He was not necessarily inefficient, but compared to them he was. He was a consistent leader though, and those intangibles are immeasurable. I have to go with even.

dnewguy
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Amnesia is an American disease.

Hustlenomics
11-01-2011, 09:39 AM
it was Wade CLEARLY

Da Knicks
11-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Wade

Chacarron
11-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Everyone likes to look at the offense, but Kobe clearly inspired the team to play defense. He was the lockdown defender, the go to guy at the end of the game. Wade was amazing much like Charles Barkey in 92.

Dade County
11-01-2011, 11:38 AM
^^^Kobe had to play with ballhog James and others whose role was offense. His role was not to score as often so he could focus defensively, and he STILL put up solid numbers.

Edit: I am indifferent now. Kobe did not have the role to score, yet he shot more than Wade or Lebron. He was not necessarily inefficient, but compared to them he was. He was a consistent leader though, and those intangibles are immeasurable. I have to go with even.

WHAT!

Like I said in my first post and others after me... Everyone needs to go back and watch the games.

Then their would be no doubt.

( I really hope this is not Miami HEAT hate)

tbone2171
11-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Michael Phelps

Fnom11
11-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Wade

KnicksR4Real
11-01-2011, 12:14 PM
People underestimate 'Melo. He was the leader of that team.

naps
11-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I absolutely have no doubt it was Wade. I watched the games.

At the 2008 Olympics, the United States went unbeaten and earned gold medal honors, defeating the 2006 World Champion Spain in the final game. Wade led the team in scoring throughout the tournament and tallied a game high 27 points in 27 minutes on 75% field goal shooting and added 4 steals, 2 assists and 2 rebounds in the game.[81] For the tournament, he averaged a team high 16 points in 18 minutes on 67% field goal shooting, 4 rebounds, 2 assists and 2.3 steals, as the United States lived up to their Redeem Team moniker and captured gold medal honors for the first time since 2000.

naps
11-01-2011, 12:25 PM
I think people should go back and watch the games. Wade was the spark off the bench. He was the best player and he did so even while volunteering to come off the bench. Kobe was clutch at the end of the Spain game... but I'm not sure you can ignore what Wade did the rest of the tournament.

Wade lead the team in scoring despite playing significantly less minutes. He also shot 67% from the field, and outpaced kobe in rebound, assists, and steals.

You realize that Wade scored more total points than Kobe despite shooting the ball 34 less times...

Exactly. I had a good laugh after reading some of the responses. Reason why I have always thought Kobe was fantastic player but a bit overrated. And the "All the people were impressed because Wade came off an injury" talk is BS. You cannot come up with this if you watched the games. Wade was unreal throughout the tournament. Not to mention he flat out dominated everyone while coming off the bench.

Hellcrooner
11-01-2011, 12:30 PM
lol.

i hope the players carry this mentality and discusion to london 2012 about who is boss and ****.

08 was a TEAM achievement, if they forget it they will fail next time.

Chacarron
11-01-2011, 01:22 PM
lol.

i hope the players carry this mentality and discusion to london 2012 about who is boss and ****.

Spain will have a scary team by then also.

beliges
11-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Wade was great but as the tourney went along and the games took on more of a significance, the guy that carried them in crunch time was Kobe. Amazing display of clutchness on the world stage.

Longhornfan1234
11-01-2011, 03:34 PM
People underestimate 'Melo. He was the leader of that team.

:facepalm:

beasted86
11-01-2011, 03:39 PM

Enough said.

THE GIPPER
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/uso.html

That might help break it down a bit

Bruno
11-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Do the Wade people acknowledge that Bryant had a 2008 Kevin Garnett/Boston type effect on the teams defensive mentality and identity?

Bruno
11-01-2011, 04:45 PM
lol.

So you can't have a discussion as to who the best player was without throwing the whole team under the bus?

Agreed, especially since no player averaged more than 25 mpg for team USA, within that format.

Bruno
11-01-2011, 04:51 PM

James wasn't a ball-hog during the tournament. He was an ideal facilitator.

Bruno
11-01-2011, 04:57 PM

That's fair. I hadn't looked at the box-score/realize Wades brilliant efficiency (although his TS% would be a bit more mortal, as he shoot a poor % from the FT line), given, he got there A LOT.

Bruno
11-01-2011, 05:04 PM
53 of Bryants 104 total FGA for the tournament were from the three-point line, that's over half of his total FGA. He wasn't great from three, at 32%.

From inside the arch he was 31/51 at 61%.

Those numbers reflect a guy who had just played over 100 NBA games including playoffs, who was attempting to save his legs for the defensive end (and as a result, settled for a lot of long distance, low-percentage jump-shots).

Wade on the other hand attacked the bucket and got high percentage looks while rarley settling for three. Scoring efficiency advantage goes to Wade. LBJ also had great efficiency.

smith&wesson
11-01-2011, 05:08 PM
kobe or wade.

i think bosh should get a special mention. he was the most effective big man on the team that year.

Oppppposite
11-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Greg Oden

SportsFanatic10
11-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Greg Oden

lol good first post. welcome to psd!

smith&wesson
11-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Greg Oden

:laugh:

barreleffact
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
WHAT!

Like I said in my first post and others after me... Everyone needs to go back and watch the games.

Then their would be no doubt.

( I really hope this is not Miami HEAT hate)

I don't hate the Heat. I detest Lebron, but I used to be a HUGE Wade fan. With that being said, Kobe had a bigger role, and shot 61% from 2. He settled for a lot of 3s. I have to go even because despite Wade's surreal efficiency, Kobe had a larger role, played with more ball dominant players, and was the leader of the team.

ldawg
11-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Kobe and Wade. Offensively it was Wade he was fresh and zooming all over the place. Defensively Kobe. But Kobe did save the day in the end hitting some big shots. They both were amazing. Lebron was just well, Lebron.

shep33
11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Kobe and Wade were both great, Wade better on offense, Kobe better on defense. Really co-MVP's in my book. Without question though, I think Kobe's impact of just being on the team was a huge boost, and I really don't think Team USA would've won without him.

Everyone knows how he guarded the opposing team's best player, and really was th best defensive player on the Olympic team. But have you guys ever seen the 5 part mini-series on Team USA's prep? From what Coach K and Wade said about Kobe, it was as if the atmosphere of that team changed when he came on board. There is one segment where Kobe is diving all over the floor in practice, but the one that got me convinced was when he basically just took the ball away from OJ Mayo 6 straight times in this one drill. It was ridiculous, and he didn't foul him either which was amazing.

Surprisingly, Bosh was very good too... he was really underrated during the olympics.

Underrated Wade
11-01-2011, 07:38 PM
wade had some sicck dunks. he had a windmill alleyoop from paul. dont know why he never does one in the nba. anyways wade played AMAZING. props to kobe too. actually props to the WHOLE TEAM.!! GO USA!

D-Leethal
11-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Wade and Melo

3ballbomber
11-03-2011, 08:31 AM
WADE - watch the games, peep the box score & that was off the bench ;)