PDA

View Full Version : Luke Walton considering retirement!!!

LakersMaster24
10-31-2011, 07:00 PM
http://www.iamagm.com/news/2011/10/31/luke.walton.has.begun.contemplate.retirement

:clap:

Fool
10-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Nooooooooooooo. :cry:

Testaverde16
10-31-2011, 07:47 PM
I will celebrate the day he retires as an official holiday for the rest of my life if he retires this year

Chacarron
10-31-2011, 08:19 PM
He should start coaching if he does retire. I think he can be a great coach.

lakersiznumber1
10-31-2011, 08:38 PM
that would be the best news this offseason. if he retires we should cut steve blake with the amnesty. :clap: let ron ron stay

lowdown32
10-31-2011, 09:14 PM
yes Morris can wear #4

Fool
10-31-2011, 09:18 PM
He should start coaching if he does retire. I think he can be a great coach.

He's already coaching at the University of Memphis.

Though I'd imagine he would give that up to be an assistant for the Lakers, if they would ever want him.

Chacarron
10-31-2011, 09:28 PM
He's already coaching at the University of Memphis.

Though I'd imagine he would give that up to be an assistant for the Lakers, if they would ever want him.

Yea that's why I mentioned it. Often times, the fundamentally-sound role players are good coaches.

Avenged
11-01-2011, 12:03 AM
Yeah I think, for some reason, he has the tools to be a good coach.. Not on the Lakers though :p

Wade>You
11-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Iron Luke Walton will be missed. His dad is the funniest commentator to ever grace the game.

lakers4sho
11-01-2011, 01:11 AM
Nah I don't think the Jim Buss-managed Lakers will take in Luke as part of the coaching team. He's a Phil Jackson remnant.

MJ-BULLS
11-01-2011, 01:24 AM
damm this would be big if he retires.

Bruno
11-01-2011, 04:36 AM
Walton will do everything in his power to pass his physical. You don't just walk away from 12 million dollars to do the franchise a favor; if he gets cut, it's because he just can't physically do it anymore (or fake it long enough to pass a physical).

The only scenario where he walks away under his own power is if several non- LAL doctors tell him he could be risking his long-term health by playing on his back. If that's the case (which it's looking it might be) I wish him good luck; he'll make a great coach.

Getting rid of his contract and Ron's contract is great though; that's 12 million annually on the books we don't need. Ron was a 1-2 year rental at best, that five year deal was a mistake. You don't carry 260 plus on a 6'7 frame throughout your 20's and not pay for it in quickness in athleticism once you crack 30.

midwestlaker75
11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
If he retires, Then we use the amnesty clause on Steve Blake then that would officially get some of the dead weight on the bench. It opens up spaces for Ebanks, Morris and maybe even Goudelock. Now they just need to get a CBA.

handle
11-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Even the mere possibility of Luke retiring is the most exciting Lakers news since we signed Gasol.

LAKERMANIA
11-01-2011, 12:41 PM
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

simsta
11-01-2011, 05:13 PM
www.YESSSSSSSSS. SAVE MONEY NO MORE BENCH RIDERS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxUVj8IGGD0

ldawg
11-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Best news out of Laker land in a while. Please Luke retire so we can cut Blake. I know its a hard life to give up but do The Lakers, The fans and yourself a favor.

smith&wesson
11-01-2011, 08:10 PM
He should go to new jersey and join up with the machine and farmer. that would be an allstar team.

DownUnder
11-04-2011, 04:28 AM
I like Luke. He was here in the tough times, he tries hard enough and he cops a fair bit of stick for a contract he was offered by the FO. Granted he hasn't played up to the contract but you can't blame him for one minute for signing it. It would be huge for the FO if he were to retire and would save them some decent coin and probably cause Ron to keep his job. Blake would have to be on thin ground though. It could also be a catalyst for the FA to do some extra FA shopping.

He's been a stalwart our Luke.

mjm201
11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Is there any update on this, it would really help not to have to use the amnesty on him.

soundjunkies2
11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Hopefully he retires and then amnesty world peace, that would save a boat load of cash.

ldawg
11-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Hopefully he retires and then amnesty world peace, that would save a boat load of cash.I second that

ldawg
11-28-2011, 11:32 PM
lets start a Luke walton retire campaign

lakers4sho
11-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Amnesty is the key to world peace.

MickeyMgl
11-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Yeah I think, for some reason, he has the tools to be a good coach.. Not on the Lakers though :p

If Mike Brown can coach for the Lakers, Luke Walton can.

MickeyMgl
11-29-2011, 12:32 AM

Angelus™
11-29-2011, 02:27 AM
Hoping he does in fact retire. He is no help to us anyways

lakersfan01
11-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I will celebrate the day he retires as an official holiday for the rest of my life if he retires this year

Me too!!! It will be a Laker holiday and let's recognize it every year here on PSD haha. I will be very happy if he retires. He's a good guy but far from an NBA player at this point.

lakersfan01
11-29-2011, 10:54 PM

Mike Brown has led a team of Lebron and losers to the NBA Finals and had the best overall record in the NBA during regular season.

Luke? To those who argue that he has a high IQ: He always has the highest turnover per minute ratio on the roster. I wouldn't mind him as an assistant coach but it sounds like you are advocating that he could be the head coach? :facepalm:

Vinylman
11-29-2011, 10:59 PM
Mike Brown has led a team of Lebron and losers to the NBA Finals and had the best overall record in the NBA during regular season.
Luke? To those who argue that he has a high IQ: He always has the highest turnover per minute ratio on the roster. I wouldn't mind him as an assistant coach but it sounds like you are advocating that he could be the head coach? :facepalm:

Dude,,,, Mike Brown sucks... you obviously have forgotten how miserable the east was that year. Also, Cleveland matched up extremely well against Detroit... just like Detroit did against us when they beat us... its all about match ups... now if you wanna really understand brown you need not look any further than two years ago when he didn't have that team ready...

I am with Mickey on this... we will regret his hiring within a year... and will get rid of him just as quickly (or at least should).

lakers4sho
11-29-2011, 11:03 PM

Not right now, but maybe few years down the road.

Phil Jackson has been quoted as saying that Luke knows the Triangle and can explain in the best out of anyone in the roster [ aside from probably Kobe ]. The guy just knows the science of basketball.

lakersfan01
11-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Not right now, but maybe few years down the road.

Phil Jackson has been quoted as saying that Luke knows the Triangle and can explain in the best out of anyone in the roster [ aside from probably Kobe ]. The guy just knows the science of basketball.

Phil Jackson has also been quoted as saying Luke is a great shooter.

For a guy that knows the science of basketball, he sure turns the ball over a lot.

lakersfan01
11-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Dude,,,, Mike Brown sucks... you obviously have forgotten how miserable the east was that year. Also, Cleveland matched up extremely well against Detroit... just like Detroit did against us when they beat us... its all about match ups... now if you wanna really understand brown you need not look any further than two years ago when he didn't have that team ready...

I am with Mickey on this... we will regret his hiring within a year... and will get rid of him just as quickly (or at least should).

I think Mike Brown is a good hire. The other options were guys that have been around forever like Adelman or Dunleavy without winning a title despite having damn good teams. Other choice was Brian Shaw with no head coaching experience. Mike Brown will be great defensively and should hopefully have them playing inside-out basketball like it should be played.

He has inherited a very slow nonathletic team. The most crucial thing Lakers need to do is get athletic players, and that is a monumentally tall task with the bloated long contracts that these guys have and the 91 million dollar roster. It sure isn't 91 million dollars worth of talent.

lakers4sho
11-29-2011, 11:19 PM
Phil Jackson has also been quoted as saying Luke is a great shooter.

For a guy that knows the science of basketball, he sure turns the ball over a lot.

knowing basketball =/= playing basketball

Some of the greatest minds in basketball [ or sports in general ] were terrible players.

And Luke WAS a good shooter pre-injury. He was lighting it up from 3 in 2006.

lakersfan01
11-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Yeah he was lighting it up in 2006. Now he can't hit the broad side of a barn, yet Phil said last season that Luke was shooting the best he ever had. Must have been limited to practice lol.

I think we will see Luke be a coach but I wouldn't consider him a head coaching prospect until he has spent several years as an assistant on an NBA bench.

I do like Luke. I don't understand why he has regressed so far backwards as a shooter. If his back is hurting his shot, he REALLY should retire now and think about his future.

lakers4sho
11-29-2011, 11:40 PM
I think we will see Luke be a coach but I wouldn't consider him a head coaching prospect until he has spent several years as an assistant on an NBA bench.

Isn't that what I said?

I do like Luke. I don't understand why he has regressed so far backwards as a shooter. If his back is hurting his shot, he REALLY should retire now and think about his future.

$$$ , plus for the past couple of years he was Phil's "son", probably giving him preferential treatment on certain situations.

ldawg
11-30-2011, 12:43 AM
its called contract year.

lakers4sho
11-30-2011, 12:49 AM
its called contract year.

Hence the use of the word "was".

MickeyMgl
11-30-2011, 12:56 AM

I don't know where you get that false info about Walton always having the highest turnover per minute ratio on the roster, because it's wrong. What is true, however, is that he was usually among the highest assists-to-turnover ratio on the roster. Maybe you'd like to reevaluate your facepalm after looking up the facts. It's not that hard. :facepalm:

DC Laker
11-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Discussing Luke as a Player, and its impact on him being a COACH IS NOT SMART...

Who is a better Coach Magic Johnson or Coach Krzyzewski???
Who is a better Coach, Jeff Van Gundy or Isiah Thomas???

Real Playing performance has ZERO impact on someones ability to coach.

I just hope Luke is doing well, and that his injury will not be a life long problem for him.

If his playing career is over, it will be a good thing for the future of the Lakers in reference to the Cap, and I appreciate his impact on the team, and his efforts as a player. THE HUGE majority of second round picks never play a minute in the NBA, and he made some contributions to some good Lakers Teams.

Best of Luck LUKE!!!

MTar786
11-30-2011, 09:45 PM
will the lakers be retiring his number this season or next season? will be an emotional day for me. Dwights gonna have big shoes to fill

MTar786
11-30-2011, 09:47 PM
Discussing Luke as a Player, and its impact on him being a COACH IS NOT SMART...

Who is a better Coach Magic Johnson or Coach Krzyzewski???
Who is a better Coach, Jeff Van Gundy or Isiah Thomas???

Real Playing performance has ZERO impact on someones ability to coach.

I just hope Luke is doing well, and that his injury will not be a life long problem for him.

If his playing career is over, it will be a good thing for the future of the Lakers in reference to the Cap, and I appreciate his impact on the team, and his efforts as a player. THE HUGE majority of second round picks never play a minute in the NBA, and he made some contributions to some good Lakers Teams.

Best of Luck LUKE!!!

of course playing has an impact on coaching. maybe not a HUGE impact.. but yes, a very significant impact. look at phil, look at doc rivers. You have to know the game to be great. And playing is a GREAT way to learn the game

Marco22
12-01-2011, 11:02 AM
It's been nice Luke.

ldawg
12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Luck what are you waiting on sign the papers already you are holding up a spot.

ldawg
12-02-2011, 10:13 AM
damn that fool said he will not retire. http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-20111202,0,2819281.story

mjm201
12-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Its likely an injury insurance issue. If he retires he could lose millions of dollars and what fool would do that. Does anyone know the new cap rules. We are making a big deal out of the 6 mill to Luke and 6-7 mill to World peace but I am under the impression that we are enough over the cap to where even if those contracts were gone we still couldn't do much. With Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, and Odom on the books it's going to be tough to have any wiggle room.

Kobe4Life
12-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks for ruining my saturday Luke. Enjoy your free salary. :clap:

KillaInstinct24
12-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks for ruining my saturday Luke. Enjoy your free salary. :clap:

lol i was hoping he'd stay with my memphis tigers too.

gr824
12-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Its likely an injury insurance issue. If he retires he could lose millions of dollars and what fool would do that. Does anyone know the new cap rules. We are making a big deal out of the 6 mill to Luke and 6-7 mill to World peace but I am under the impression that we are enough over the cap to where even if those contracts were gone we still couldn't do much. With Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, and Odom on the books it's going to be tough to have any wiggle room.

From what I have read, the Salary Cap and the Luxury Tax threshold for the upcoming truncated season are not changing much from last season, meaning the Cap will come in somewhere in the vicinity of $58 million and the LT will start around $70 million [ we should have exact figures forthcoming from the league office in the next week ]. What is apparently going to change to a significant degree in the new CBA are the nature and values of the various exceptions and what teams can use which ones when, if at all [ hopefully, the rules will be more straightforward than they have been in the past, but I am probably expecting too much ] ...

You are correct to say that dumping Walton's salary and that of WP/Artest [ and even that of Blake and/or Fisher ] would do little to help the current Laker salary woes other than to fatten Jerry Buss' wallet a bit in the short term. Jettisoning those men would certainly not give the Lakers more freedom to sign guys on the FA market this month, at least not apart from the fact that the team would have more open roster spots available to fill ...

Keeping them around as potential trading fodder/filler might prove more beneficial. But until all the brand new rules are known, even that is not completely clear ...