PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Arison (HEAT owner) fined 500k

daleja424
10-31-2011, 06:43 PM
As expected, the NBA lowered it lockout hammer Monday on Micky Arison for offering opinions on the ongoing work stoppage on his Twitter account last Friday.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank confirmed to the Sun Sentinel that the league has fined the Miami Heat owner. Yahoo reported the sanction was $500,000.

NBA Commissioner David Stern had issued an edict before the July 1 start of the lockout that team and league personnel would not be allowed to comment on the lockout beyond the confines of league-approved media sessions.

Charlotte Bobcats owner Michael Jordan was fined $100,000 in September for comments made to an Australian publication regarding the lockout. At that time, the league only acknowledged the sanction, not the scope of the fine. Such was the case again Monday.

Celebrities: See who is courtside at the Finals

While Jordan mentioned Milwaukee Bucks center Andrew Bogut by name in his comments, Arison did not mention specific players while responding to questions on his Twitter account (@MickyArison).

Arison is considered among the owners pushing hardest for a resumption of play, reluctant to lose additional games with his stacked roster of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh that advanced to last season's NBA Finals.

In the wake of Stern canceling games through the end of November due to an impasse in the negotiations, Arison began replying to lockout-related posts sent to his Twitter account.

It started with a post directed to his Twitter account that read, "Guess what? Fans provide all the money you're fighting over you greedy (expletive) pigs."

Arison responded, "Honestly u r barking at the wrong owner."

That response later was deleted.

Later, from another Twitter account came this post to Arison's account, "Know it's not ur fault at this point, it's become child's play. Grown men making stupid decisions over money."

Replied Arison, "Exactly."

That had the initial poster chiming in with, "Then can you bark at the other owners? This is RIDICULOUS!!!"

Replied Arison, "Now u r making some sense."

Arison then retweeted a post from another account that read, "Heat ratings proved that fans want to see super teams in big markets instead of a ton of small-market teams each with one st(ar)."

Another account offered, "NBA labor is a joke! You owners don't care about us FANS at all!," to which Arison responded on his account, "Wrong we care a lot."

Later, he retweeted the question, "are you allowed to comment about ur feelings on the small market/big market issues some of the owners bring up?" He replied, "No."

From there, Arison retweeted a post that read, "having 'all 32 teams compete' is complete BS. Such an unrealistic and stupid idea." In response he simply offered a smiley face (since there are only 30 NBA teams).

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-micky-arison-s103111,0,391024.story

BUt his comments might actually help the HEAT in the ling run according to some writers:

That's a lot of steaks in Seattle. Stepping out could help Heat in long run. Spoke to a couple non-Heat players who were impressed.

Micky gets fined. How To Endear Yourself To Your Players In A Lockout 101.

thoughts? This seems way over the top to me. Half a million dollars for indicating he is not a hardline owner (something we already knew)...

daleja424
10-31-2011, 06:49 PM
I feel like this is one understated part of the lockout. You better damn well believe that even fewer players than usual are going to want to play for guys like Dan Gilbert... and even more guys are going to flock to the big markets to play for owners who weren't trying to screw them over.

I know if I was a player I would take that very personally...

dnewguy
10-31-2011, 06:55 PM
half a million for what? JEZZ

LAcowBOMBER
10-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm sure Cuban, Dolan, Buss and a number of other owners are on his side. Pretty sure they would all do 52/48

dhopisthename
10-31-2011, 08:02 PM
that is a ton of dosh for two twitter lines.... I don't get how that is 5 times worse then mentioning a player?

Hawkeye15
10-31-2011, 08:13 PM
This is obviously the NBA making an example. Its a ridiculous fine.

naps
10-31-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't think Micky gives a **** on this. He pisses half a million everyday but a positive message is gone to the players and others by this.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2011, 08:15 PM
I will add, of course he doesn't have an issue with 50/50. His franchise will be making so much money regardless, he just wants the CBA done, so he comes off as looking like a good guy here, when in fact, the circumstances he lives in aren't remotely close to half the owners.

That being said, he has had **** teams that suffered, and still was willing to spend to win.

daleja424
10-31-2011, 08:18 PM
Ya... Arison is a good owner b/c he doesnt try to pretend that the HEAT are anything more to him than an expensive toy. It makes him one of the best owners in the NBA.

SteBO
10-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Agree with Hawkeye on this one. The NBA sure loves to make an example out of people.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Agree with Hawkeye on this one. The NBA sure loves to make an example out of people.

and they are so inconsistent! The great legend violates the rules, 100k. The leader of the evil empire violates the rules. 500k.

wtf?

beasted86
10-31-2011, 08:27 PM
Sofa change.

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 08:29 PM
I feel like this is one understated part of the lockout. You better damn well believe that even fewer players than usual are going to want to play for guys like Dan Gilbert... and even more guys are going to flock to the big markets to play for owners who weren't trying to screw them over.

I know if I was a player I would take that very personally...

Every day you whine about Dan Gilbert. For that reason I'm glad the lockout is still ongoing and hope it continues. And BTW Mickey Arison isn't a saint. The only reason he wants a season is because he wants to get paid his billions. He could care less about Heat fans.

daleja424
10-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Every day you whine about Dan Gilbert. For that reason I'm glad the lockout is still ongoing and hope it continues. And BTW Mickey Arison isn't a saint. The only reason he wants a season is because he wants to get paid his billions. He could care less about Heat fans.

How was I whining about Dan Gilbert? I posed a theory...

Come on man...why the hell would anyone want to play for him? honestly?

...and FWIW... Arison has actually proven many times he doesnt care about the money. The sees the HEAT for what it really is... an expensive toy.

Slug3
10-31-2011, 08:33 PM
So some of the fellow owners lobbied to get a stiffer fine? LOL

kjoke
10-31-2011, 08:34 PM

Doesnt every owner want billions? At least Mickey is out there wanting a season to start rather than holding a *****-fit about lebron leaving. I'd whine about Gilbert too if he is the reason why there is no basketball right now.

SteBO
10-31-2011, 08:35 PM
He never said Micky was a saint and he never complained about Dan Gilbert, so you aren't going anywhere with this
BTW, it's the fact that Dan Gilbert and others don't know how to effectively manage a team is why the lockout is going on right now.

daleja424
10-31-2011, 08:38 PM
The $500,000 fine, first reported by Yahoo! Sports, is five times the amount other owners have previously been fined for public comments about the ongoing labor situation.

According to multiple league sources, commissioner David Stern was lobbied by some of Arison's fellow owners to levy the stiff fine. Arison and several of his peers have been at growing odds as the lockout has deepened -- a rift which spilled over into cyberspace last week.
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7175679/nba-lockout-miami-heat-owner-micky-arison-twitter-comments-labor-talks

So Stern doesn't even run the NBA anymore... haha

SteBO
10-31-2011, 08:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/7175679/nba-lockout-miami-heat-owner-micky-arison-twitter-comments-labor-talks

So Stern doesn't even run the NBA anymore... haha
:laugh2: This is too funny...

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 08:42 PM
He never said Micky was a saint and he never complained about Dan Gilbert, so you aren't going anywhere with this
BTW, it's the fact that Dan Gilbert and others don't know how to effectively manage a team is why the lockout is going on right now.

Never said he stated Arison was a saint. And yes he's complained about Gilbert and made several backhanded comments. Just like yours. Are you guys reporters? Are in the these rooms? You want to pick and choose what you want to read and make biased judgements. I'm not blaming the Heat for the lockout!
I guess Dan Gilbert is responsible for Hurricane Irene too!

daleja424
10-31-2011, 08:45 PM
So what you actually want is for us to ignore EVERY report of who is leading this lockout and pretend Gilbert is a jolly ole fellow?

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 08:47 PM
I do not have a problem with a $500K fine at all, obviously $100K didn't hurt the NBA owners' pockets enough to make them notice. Just shows you how dumb some of those people are - the ones that inherit wealth, like Arison did. He should know better, and I hope the NBA comes down some more and the players are forced to take 50/50 and a hard cap.

Wade>You
10-31-2011, 08:49 PM
500k is nothing even to the "poorest" of these billionaire owners. Good for Micky for saying what the other great owners in this league are thinking.

No reason why a deal shouldn't have been made.

So Stern doesn't even run the NBA anymore... hahaThe NBA lacks leadership in its commissioner; Stern is supposed to bring both sides together, instead, he just distances himself from one side while brown nosing the other side. No wonder we don't have an NBA season right now.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
So what you actually want is for us to ignore EVERY report of who is leading this lockout and pretend Gilbert is a jolly ole fellow?

Didn't you comment to me earlier in the official lockout thread that was something like: "If you want all teams to make equal money and comptete that would be like communism", it may have been someone else?

D1JM
10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
and they are so inconsistent! The great legend violates the rules, 100k. The leader of the evil empire violates the rules. 500k.

wtf?

Maybe because Jordan didn't call out other owners.

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 08:51 PM
^^^ Do you whatever makes you feel better man. Never said Gilbert was a jolly ole fellow. Highly doubt he's responsible for holding up the lockout. Do you really think that if Gilbert was out of the picture the lockout would be over? People love stories.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 08:52 PM
maybe because jordan didn't call out other owners.

x2

daleja424
10-31-2011, 08:52 PM
^^^ Do you whatever makes you feel better man. Never said Gilbert was a jolly ole fellow. Highly doubt he's responsible for holding up the lockout. Do you really think that if Gilbert was out of the picture the lockout would be over? People love stories.

Nope... he has enough people that agree with him at this point. But I didn't put this squarely on him. My original post clearly referred to both Gilbert and other hardline owners.

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 08:53 PM
500k is nothing even to the "poorest" of these billionaire owners. Good for Micky for saying what the other great owners in this league are thinking.

No reason why a deal shouldn't have been made.

The NBA lacks leadership in its commissioner; Stern is supposed to bring both sides together, instead, he just distances himself with one side while brown nosing the other side. No wonder we don't have an NBA season right now.

What makes him Great? That he bought the Miami Heat? I'm sure if Gilbert was the owner of the Heat he'd feel the same way Arison does.

daleja424
10-31-2011, 08:54 PM

how did he call out anyone?

and even if he did... so what? He didn't even state an opinion...simply reiterated a fact that we all already knew.

daleja424
10-31-2011, 08:54 PM
What makes him Great? That he bought the Miami Heat? I'm sure if Gilbert was the owner of the Heat he'd feel the same way Arison does.

Nope. Arison is great b/c he doesnt pretend he bought the HEAT for the money making potential. He is great b/c he does whatever it takes to put a good team together. He is great b/c he is still paying a lot of his employees even though there isn't work for them to do.

Hawkeye15
10-31-2011, 08:55 PM

shouldn't matter. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules.

Slug3
10-31-2011, 08:56 PM

I am pretty sure a few years ago Gilbert was calling out other owners for wanting a hard cap. Now because he doesnt have a team he wants one.

beasted86
10-31-2011, 08:56 PM

Don't compare Dan Gilbert and Micky Arison please.

Arison's free agency consists of negotiations with Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh. Dan Gilberts free agent negotiations are with Alonzo Gee, Joey Graham, and Ryan Hollins.

Even before this big 3, Arison made sure to go after a competent coach and GM in Riley and has always kept the team competitive without long playoff-less droughts.

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Nope... he has enough people that agree with him at this point. But I didn't put this squarely on him. My original post clearly referred to both Gilbert and other hardline owners.

You don't put it squarely on him? Could've fooled me.
Yes he's a small market owner and he wants to stay competitive like other small market owners. I guess they're a gang. So if you were in there shoes you'd feel differently. You wouldn't be in line with the market's best interest? I'm not blaming Mickey Arison for wanting to start the season. He has his interest at stake.

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 08:58 PM

Arison's free agency consists of negotiations with Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Chris Bosh. Dan Gilberts free agent negotiations are with Alonzo Gee, Joey Graham, and Ryan Hollins.

Mickey Arison lives in Miami. Dan Gilbert lives in Cleveland.

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 08:59 PM
I am pretty sure a few years ago Gilbert was calling out other owners for wanting a hard cap. Now because he doesnt have a team he wants one.

So what! It wasn't in line with his interests.

daleja424
10-31-2011, 09:00 PM
You don't put it squarely on him? Could've fooled me.
Yes he's a small market owner and he wants to stay competitive like other small market owners. I guess they're a gang. So if you were in there shoes you'd feel differently. You wouldn't be in line with the market's best interest? I'm not blaming Mickey Arison for wanting to start the season. He has his interest at stake.

No I don't put it squarely on him... but he is regarded by most sources as a ring leader of sorts.

He is bitter... I would like to think that I would be capable of seperating business from personal matters if I was a billionaire... not act like a 13 year old girl when something doesn't go my way.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:00 PM

Even before this big 3, Arison made sure to go after a competent coach and GM in Riley and has always kept the team competitive without long playoff-less droughts.

I am sure he did all of that negotiating himself, just like he earned the money to his toy? He is pathetic. If you have that much money and still haven't figured out that you should watch what you tweet you deserve to be fined, plain and simple. They should have slapped Jordan with $500K too.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:01 PM
what exactly did he do to break the rules? aren't the only rules not to mention players by name?

daleja424
10-31-2011, 09:02 PM
what exactly did he do to break the rules? aren't the only rules not to mention players by name?

no... apparently you cannot talk about yourself either... unless stern lets you.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
No I don't put it squarely on him... but he is regarded by most sources as a ring leader of sorts.

He is bitter... I would like to think that I would be capable of seperating business from personal matters if I was a billionaire... not act like a 13 year old girl when something doesn't go my way.

Isn't that what Arison did by voicing his frustrations on Twitter? You can't argue one and than defend the other. It's the same exact thing.

beasted86
10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Mickey Arison lives in Miami. Dan Gilbert lives in Cleveland.

Explain why the city doesn't help the Marlins or Panthers or Dolphins acquire top tier free agents?

Management is everything. Before the big 3 it was Shaq, and before that Eddie Jones and Lamar Odom, and before that Alonzo Mourning, Tim Hardaway, and Jamal Mashburn. Sure he's struck out a few times getting other big names, but he's clearly the difference between the Heat being a prime destination as far as the NBA, and the other Miami teams being in the dumps.

Every player, coach, or other tells praise for Arison and his family.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:04 PM
I am sure he did all of that negotiating himself, just like he earned the money to his toy? He is pathetic. If you have that much money and still haven't figured out that you should watch what you tweet you deserve to be fined, plain and simple. They should have slapped Jordan with $500K too.

you think he didn't know what he tweeted? he did it to make a point that there are a few greedy owners who can't control their own spending that are trying to guarantee a profit that are holding this entire thing up.

if he doesn't care about the money it is an extremely smart move if arisen is thinking about winning. this can only help the players get a better deal because this shows that not all owners are behind what is going on right now and it endears him to players all around the league.

29$JerZ
10-31-2011, 09:05 PM
Clearly a statement Stern wants to be made but all in vain
While it may be in the best interest for the NBA to give up a season to strengthen the next decade of basketball this constant battle of we want more will ensure a wasted season and still a ton of problems for years to come regardless of this dispute.

beasted86
10-31-2011, 09:06 PM
you think he didn't know what he tweeted? he did it to make a point that there are a few greedy owners who can't control their own spending that are trying to guarantee a profit that are holding this entire thing up.

if he doesn't care about the money it is an extremely smart move if arisen is thinking about winning. this can only help the players get a better deal because this shows that not all owners are behind what is going on right now and it endears him to players all around the league.

This.... and see my other post above:

Sofa change.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Explain why the city doesn't help the Marlins or Panthers or Dolphins acquire top tier free agents?

Management is everything. Before the big 3 it was Shaq, and before that Eddie Jones and Lamar Odom, and before that Alonzo Mourning, Tim Hardaway, and Jamal Mashburn. Sure he's struck out a few times getting other big names, but he's clearly the difference between the Heat being a prime destination as far as the NBA, and the other Miami teams being in the dumps.

He got lucky with Wade, and Wade is what brought everything else - but it is beyond the point that NBA is much more of a business now and owners actually care about making money, and as owners they have every right to dictate how much they want to pay the players.

justinnum1
10-31-2011, 09:08 PM
I do not have a problem with a $500K fine at all, obviously $100K didn't hurt the NBA owners' pockets enough to make them notice. Just shows you how dumb some of those people are - the ones that inherit wealth, like Arison did. He should know better, and I hope the NBA comes down some more and the players are forced to take 50/50 and a hard cap.

:facepalm:

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:09 PM
He got lucky with Wade, and Wade is what brought everything else - but it is beyond the point that NBA is much more of a business now and owners actually care about making money, and as owners they have every right to dictate how much they want to pay the players.

they do not have a right to complain about the system however when they mismanage their team and then cry poor.

the heat were an extremely well run team well before wade.

Just like you heard during free agency last year, it is all about loyalty with this franchise. People just don't make that up. Arison cares about winning over everything else.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:10 PM

So if he knew what he was doing, what is the point of this thread? He knew what he wanted to say, he knew what the consequences were, he payed what he owed. Done deal.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:12 PM
So if he new what he was doing, what is the point of this thread? He new what he wanted to say, he new what the consequences were, he payed what he owed. Done deal.

because he didn't really break any rules of the lockout. he talked about how people were holding up the negotiations. when did he mention any player names? the only reason he was fined this much is because what he said was anti-owner.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:12 PM
they do not have a right to complain about the system however when they mismanage their team and then cry poor.

the heat were an extremely well run team well before wade.

Just like you heard during free agency last year, it is all about loyalty with this franchise. People just don't make that up. Arison cares about winning over everything else.

First off, the Heat is not a well managed franchise. They won 1 championship in the last 30 years - not very good considering the market, loyalty, spending and all of the other mentined qualities.

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 09:13 PM

So this comes down to what you would like to think? This goes back to LeBron I suppose. I suppose acting like a 13 year old girl has made him the successful business that he is today. Under that logic half of posters on PSD should be successful businessmen.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:14 PM
because he didn't really break any rules of the lockout. he talked about how people were holding up the negotiations. when did he mention any player names? the only reason he was fined this much is because what he said was anti-owner.
I don't see the problem, who is to say that he did or didn't break the rules? The league did, they decided he did, they fined him.

Bruno
10-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Why are players allowed to say whatever they want, but owners aren't (during the lock-out)?

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:15 PM
First off, the Heat is not a well managed franchise. They won 1 championship in the last 30 years - not very good considering the market, loyalty, spending an all of the other aforementined qualities.

considering they have only been around for 20 years, your credibility is now gone. you are not open minded in this discussion, you are only trying to be anti-heat and anti-arison.

We have been a playoff team for 13 of 16 years which began right after the initial years of the franchise where nobody is good. Miami is not a big market.

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 09:16 PM

Different sports have different personalities. One guy isn't going to necessarily make or break a baseball or football team. But Basketball is different story. Plus Baseball no parity and Football lots of parity. The Marlins can't compete against $200 million payrolls. Dolphins just are poorly managed.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:18 PM
I don't see the problem, who is to say that he did or didn't break the rules? The league did, they decided he did, they fined him.

the league? they said that owners couldn't talk about players, which i understand. but now they can't talk about the lockout? so if dan gilbert comes out of a meeting and a reporter asks him a question and he gives a pro-owner answer, do you think he is getting fined? absolutely not. do you think if arison tweeted about how the players are being ridiculous in their demands and how the system needs to be changed that he would be fined the same thing?

Arch Stanton
10-31-2011, 09:19 PM
Isn't that what Arison did by voicing his frustrations on Twitter? You can't argue one and than defend the other. It's the same exact thing.

Exactly! Guarantee if Gilbert was the owner of the Heat. They'd love Gilbert. It's easy to hate Gilbert as a Miami fan because of the letter he wrote and his side comments about LeBron. BTW LeBron makes side comments too.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:21 PM
considering they have only been around for 20 years, your credibility is now gone. you are not open minded in this discussion, you are only trying to be anti-heat and anti-arison.

We have been a playoff team for 13 of 16 years which began right after the initial years of the franchise where nobody is good. Miami is not a big market.

I am not trying to establish my credibility here. I didn't start watching the NBA until 1998, I couldn't care less when Heat team was established and until today I didn't know who Mickey Arison was. I am completely unbiased and I am one of the few non-Heat fans who want the heat to succeed because I like the players. You can't even argue that it was a dumb move by Arison. If he wanted to be heard he should have gone to a legitimate press source - tweeter is completely childish. What a joke...

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:23 PM
the league? they said that owners couldn't talk about players, which i understand. but now they can't talk about the lockout? so if dan gilbert comes out of a meeting and a reporter asks him a question and he gives a pro-owner answer, do you think he is getting fined? absolutely not. do you think if arison tweeted about how the players are being ridiculous in their demands and how the system needs to be changed that he would be fined the same thing?

There are set rules, set times and set ways the owners can communicate with the media about the lockout. I would be willing to bet that communication with fans via twitter is not the way to go, you think?

D1JM
10-31-2011, 09:24 PM
shouldn't matter. Breaking the rules is breaking the rules.

That's like saying if you are caught speeding everyone should get the same amount of fine. Stern has been talking about having 30 teams compete, owners are unified, etc ... To have an owner call out other owners.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:24 PM
I am not trying to establish my credibility here. I didn't start watching the NBA until 1998, I couldn't care less when Heat team was established and until today I didn't know who Mickey Arison was. I am completely unbiased and I am one of the few non-Heat fans who want the heat to succeed because I like the players. You can't even argue that it was a dumb move by Arison. If he wanted to be heard he should have gone to a legitimate press source - tweeter is completely childish. What a joke...

no, he did it to endear himself to future free agents, current players, and let people know who is really controlling the lockout, the bad owners who mismanage their team.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:25 PM
That's like saying if you are caught speeding everyone should get the same amount of fine. Stern has been talking about having 30 teams compete, owners are unified, etc ... To have an owner call out other owners.

I agree, Arison undermined the NBA's position and it warrants a heavy fine IMO.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:26 PM
I agree, Arison undermined the NBA's position and it warrants a heavy fine IMO.

since when is it his job to agree with the other owners? he has to have the same opinion as everyone else?

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:27 PM
no, he did it to endear himself to future free agents, current players, and let people know who is really controlling the lockout, the bad owners who mismanage their team.

Than he is even more fake than the rest of the league. If he did it for that purpose he should have been charged more - seeing that the NBA provided him an intentional service.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:29 PM
There are set rules, set times and set ways the owners can communicate with the media about the lockout. I would be willing to bet that communication with fans via twitter is not the way to go, you think?

how come when dan gilbert tweets this in regards to how people are making the owners look bad in twisting the numbers

Some of these NBA 'bloggissists' flat-out make stuff up and then try to dupe readers into believing their fiction is real. Sad & pathetic.

he is not fined? are you fining the action itself or the message in the action?

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
since when is it his job to agree with the other owners? he has to have the same opinion as everyone else?

If Stern said that the owners are together, it was his job to shut up and nod. He is part of the NBA - he signed a contract when he bought the team - which means his options are some times limited - and this was the case. Not all the players, as a matter of fact probably the majority, would be perfectly happy with 50/50, but they shut up and let the NBPA do it's job - it's the same thing.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:35 PM
If Stern said that the owners are together, it was his job to shut up and nod. He is part of the NBA - he signed a contract when he bought the team - which means his options are some times limited - and this was the case. Not all the players, as a matter of fact probably the majority, would be perfectly happy with 50/50, but they shut up and let the NBPA do it's job - it's the same thing.

thats not true at all. david stern would love that but fact is that not all the owners agree. they have no requirement to not speak their mind. you shouldn't be fining somebody because they hurt your negotiating stance. fact is he is right and the owners fighting for more are being greedy because they can't manage their own team to a profit.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:38 PM
how come when dan gilbert tweets this in regards to how people are making the owners look bad in twisting the numbers

he is not fined? are you fining the action itself or the message in the action?

First off it's out of context so he doesn't say a whole lot of anything about anything in that quote.

Second, he is part of the NBA organization, and if anything he defends it like he should. Arison is not an independent entity - when you buy/start a team in any league you commit to being a part of that league/organization. It's just like executive officers in a big corporation. There are times to disagree with the CEO and the board of directors during meetings, but once the decision is made it is "unanimous" by the whole corporation.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:42 PM
First off it's out of context so he doesn't say a whole lot of anything about anything in that quote.

Second, he is part of the NBA organization, and if anything he defends it like he should. Arison is not an independent entity - when you buy/start a team in any league you commit to being a part of that league/organization. It's just like executive officers in a big corporation. There are times to disagree with the CEO and the board of directors during meetings, but once the decision is made it is "unanimous" by the whole corporation.

that doesn't mean he has no right to speak his mind though. just answer this question, if gilbert tweets something similar that is in support of the nba cause, do you think he gets fined that much?

so stern is fining the message and not the action itself, which is ridiculous because there is nothing that says he needs to agree with all of the owners.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:42 PM
thats not true at all. david stern would love that but fact is that not all the owners agree. they have no requirement to not speak their mind. you shouldn't be fining somebody because they hurt your negotiating stance. fact is he is right and the owners fighting for more are being greedy because they can't manage their own team to a profit.

Correct me if I am wrong, but before a sale of a team is made in any league the league has to approve. They make sure that you have the money and that you will abide by certain rules - that's how this business works. If the Stern says it's a unanimous decision - he is appointed by the "board of governers" I belive, a.k.a the NBA and he voices the collective owner decisions.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:47 PM
that doesn't mean he has no right to speak his mind though. just answer this question, if gilbert tweets something similar that is in support of the nba cause, do you think he gets fined that much?

so stern is fining the message and not the action itself, which is ridiculous because there is nothing that says he needs to agree with all of the owners.

Off course he doesn't, he is not undermining the league. He doesn't have to agree, he just can't voice his opinion if the "league" as a whole decided to pursue some action. Because the Heat are part of the Association and they are a Franchise, meaning although independently owned the team is still a part of some bigger "whole", there some freedoms Arison doesn't have. Meaning that we are in America and he has the right to say what ever he want's, but it is also within the league's rights to fine him.

beasted86
10-31-2011, 09:49 PM

He didn't exactly call out other owners. If he actually did, I'd expect a couple million not thousands.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:51 PM
Off course he doesn't, he is not undermining the league. He doesn't have to agree, he just can't voice his opinion if the "league" as a whole decided to pursue some action. Because the Heat are part of the Association and they are a Franchise, meaning although independently owned the team is still a part of some bigger "whole", there some freedoms Arison doesn't have. Meaning that we are in America and he has the right to say what ever he want's, but it is also within the league's rights to fine him.

I'm saying its not the leagues right to fine him if they are just doing so because it is a message they don't agree with and its not against the lockout rules.

h2r09
10-31-2011, 09:51 PM
He didn't exactly call out other owners. If he actually did, I'd expect a couple million not thousands.

he didn't by name but he actually did say that he isn't part of the group of owners holding it up.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 09:52 PM
And I am not being sarcastic about being corrected if I am wrong. I am not a lawyer and I am not associated with the NBA or any other league so I could be completely wrong, partially wrong or right. This is just my understanding from what I have heard and read.

SwatTeam
10-31-2011, 09:56 PM
look arison deserved to be fined. he broke stern's rules on not talking about the lockout. but arison has enough money to go scarface on stern if he felt like it. i like the fact that arison let it be known that he isn't fighting against the players. He wants a season. He is outnumbered by the other owners and will probably lose because there are more crybaby small market teams than big market teams but he knows what he's doing.

He shifted his fanbases enmity to the other sh*tty owners. This is business 101. He is keeping his customers (heat fanbase) happy, so when this BS ends he is still going to rake it in because they know he wasn't the one holding up the season. Unlike these other dumb@$$ owners who are hurting their dividends with their fanbases once this thing ends, whether the rumors are true or not. Arison is a genius. This is why he is one of the richest owners and people in the world. 2 steps forward, while everyone else is taking 2 steps back. This was an amazing business move.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Well he is either a genius or an idiot - time will tell. But if he is the former it is an even smaller price to pay than if he is the later.

Oefarmy2005
10-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Either way, thanks for the conversation H2r09.