PDA

View Full Version : Mark Jackson talks strategy

MackShock
10-31-2011, 05:19 AM
OAKLAND – Warriors coach Mark Jackson is in the Bay Area this week, meeting with his coaching staff and getting ready for the start of the season. He took a break on Wednesday to talk with a group of writers about what’s been going on.

Of course, Jackson couldn’t talk about any aspect of the lockout or any current NBA players, but he still addressed what he could be asked.

I’ll write more on this, but here are bullet points from the session:

--Jackson said he’s not big on long practices. He’d rather go shorter than longer when it comes to team workouts.

“If you’re efficient and put quality work in, we can move on,” Jackson said. “Ultimately, it’s a long season. We will go over this stuff, well go over it in detail and then we’ll be out of here. I’m not a guy who wants to keep players here three or four hours just to say we’re here.”

--Jackson’s assistant coaches will not have specific roles. In other words, there won’t be any specific assistants who work only with the big men or only with the small players.

“I’m not a guy that is going to put anyone of these coaches in a box,” Jackson said. “… It would be unfair to any one of them to say … ‘he’s a defensive guy.’ I get a chuckle when I hear (assistant coach) Mike Malone is my defensive coach. He’s not my defensive guy.”

--Jackson said he’s not the kind of coach who will be working 16-hour days, laboring over game tapes and spending an inordinate amount of time mulling the nuances of his job.

Jackson called coaches and coaching staffs that are said to be in the office before sunrise and out of the office after the sun goes down are guilty of “false hustle.”

--Jackson said his coaching demeanor on the sidelines will likely be “calm … not going to be cussing any referees out. That will never happen. You won’t see that. Professional and demanding. I won’t be cussing my players out. I’m going to treat guys with respect and I’m going to hold them accountable and we’re going to be in this thing together.”

More Jackson: “I’m not going to be standing up the whole time. … I’ll be pretty calm and relaxed over there.”

--Jackson said he’s come up with a team slogan – one you will see on posters and signs at the locker room at Oracle Arena and the practice facility in Oakland. But he wouldn’t divulge what it was – without first informing his players.

Jackson can’t talk to players during the lockout.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/warriors-talk/post/Ws-Jackson-talks-coaching-strategy?blockID=583390&feedID=2799

Monta is beast
10-31-2011, 05:39 AM
Not really inspired by what he's telling us. When my team practices we have 2 hour practices, and It seems like we don't fully go over plays and defensive sets. I would rather have longer practices, so if your getting paid top dollar, you should be able to put in atleast 4 hours of practice in a day. Also I prefer having a specific coach work with me, I think it allows him to go into detail about what to do, where to be, why I need to be there etc.

MackShock
10-31-2011, 06:12 AM
Not really inspired by what he's telling us. When my team practices we have 2 hour practices, and It seems like we don't fully go over plays and defensive sets. I would rather have longer practices, so if your getting paid top dollar, you should be able to put in atleast 4 hours of practice in a day. Also I prefer having a specific coach work with me, I think it allows him to go into detail about what to do, where to be, why I need to be there etc.

well thats why there are defensive coaches, free throw coaches, shooting coaches, etc..

dont be fooled into thinking that its just mark jackson mike malone and his assistant staff...they have plenty of coaches..i remember them bringing in nate thurmond or some warriors og to be free throw coach, mainly cuz of biedrins

i also would prefer longer practices, it will help in the long run.

however, i think he's saying he'd rather have them on the floor rather than watching film..such as tom thibideau doing it for hours on end...but give the bulls credit, they were the best in the east and tom got coach of the year...

so im not sure what mark jackson is trying to do here..maybe he has confidence is mike malone

Monta is beast
10-31-2011, 07:45 AM
well thats why there are defensive coaches, free throw coaches, shooting coaches, etc..

dont be fooled into thinking that its just mark jackson mike malone and his assistant staff...they have plenty of coaches..i remember them bringing in nate thurmond or some warriors og to be free throw coach, mainly cuz of biedrins

i also would prefer longer practices, it will help in the long run.

however, i think he's saying he'd rather have them on the floor rather than watching film..such as tom thibideau doing it for hours on end...but give the bulls credit, they were the best in the east and tom got coach of the year...

so im not sure what mark jackson is trying to do here..maybe he has confidence is mike malone

Yeah your probably right. I think Jackson is going to rely alot on Malone when the season starts.

TrueFan420
10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
yea im not so sure I like the sound of this... I dont think hes prepared for what he is getting himself into.

MackShock
10-31-2011, 04:40 PM
well regardless, hes our head coach....and hes gonna learn the hard way that this isnt pee wee.

MackShock
10-31-2011, 05:32 PM
The Warriors had the first practices of Mark Jackson's head-coaching tenure this week.

Well, sort of.

The NBA lockout, which has kept the players away from the facility since July 1, is still raging, but Jackson's staff has been in Oakland all week preparing for the season. Jackson and his lieutenants have met in smaller groups and in various locations, but this marked the first time all seven coaches and the two-man video staff were in one place at the same time.

Jackson also plans, in the near future, to bring assistants Michael Malone, Pete Myers, Wes Unseld Jr., Jerry DeGregorio, Darren Erman and Kris Weems to Southern California, where he pastors a nondenominational church, for more basketball prep.

"They'll make life easy for me," the first-time coach said. "We're going to be on point. There won't be a learning process when the season gets here."

Jackson already had discussed some of his plans to maintain the Warriors' high-tempo offense while establishing a better defensive effort. In fact, he brought a playbook with offensive sets and defensive concepts he likes to his initial interview with owner Joe Lacob. On Wednesday, Jackson revealed more about his intended coaching style.

Practice will be at 10 a.m., a tad earlier than under the past two coaches, and won't necessarily linger for three hours a pop. Video sessions will be short.

"I like the idea of giving them the rest of the day to do whatever they want to do when we get out of here," Jackson said. "There's no need to waste time just so we can say we got in three hard hours. We're going to be precise, and what we do in practice will have a purpose. If they're efficient and put quality work in, then we can move on."

Jackson said his courtside demeanor will be a cross between Zen-like Phil Jackson and the foot-stomping, hand-clapping dervishes who have come before him. Jackson hasn't used a curse word in more than 20 years, and he doesn't plan to start anytime soon.

"You'll never hear that," he said. "I'm going to treat (refs and players) with respect, and I'm going to be demanding. ... I truly believe that you coach the guys in practice ... but you let the guys play the games."

As part of the "coaching clinics" he directed this week, Jackson had video from last season spliced together that showed Warriors players rotating properly on defense and drawing charges. He admitted that finding the 10 to 12 clips was difficult, but more frustrating was the lack of enthusiasm on the bench after the "winning plays."

"I really don't care how the other coaches in the league feel about me, whether I'm too excited or too laid back," Jackson said. "I don't work for them, so I couldn't care less. But, we, collectively, will celebrate those types of plays as a team and as a staff. We will be up and recognizing winning plays."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/26/SPNM1LMMGC.DTL