PDA

View Full Version : rajon rondo

seikou8
10-29-2011, 12:43 AM
is Rajon Rondo a top 5 pg hes stats dont say so.
he cant shoot, cant shoot free throw, plays with 3 hofers and his stat dont say he is. Just want to know if he is or not.

Mr_Jones
10-29-2011, 12:50 AM
kiss kiss

Rocketsfan85
10-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Yep he's a true pg cuz he distributes the ball and most of all he plays defense

Hustlenomics
10-29-2011, 01:20 AM
anyone that thinks he isn't doesn't know basketball

Sadds The Gr8
10-29-2011, 01:21 AM
he's overrated but he's still a top 5 pg.

SportsFanatic10
10-29-2011, 01:23 AM
my top 5:

1) paul
2) rose
3) williams
4) nash
5) rondo

so yes imo

Corey
10-29-2011, 01:25 AM
Paul, Williams, Rose, and Nash are ahead of him, and I personally put Westbrook ahead of him as well.

SportsFanatic10
10-29-2011, 01:25 AM
^ i forgot about westbrook...could definately make that case i agree.

abe_froman
10-29-2011, 01:28 AM
top 10-def,top 5-no

Sadds The Gr8
10-29-2011, 01:33 AM
Paul, Williams, Rose, and Nash are ahead of him, and I personally put Westbrook ahead of him as well.

forgot about Westbrook. in that case, no he's not top 5 but he's prolly 6.

Avenged
10-29-2011, 01:45 AM
6-7 is where I have him.

MrfadeawayJB
10-29-2011, 01:49 AM
top 10 yes, top 5 no

Chronz
10-29-2011, 01:51 AM

We live in a Golden Age of PG's, Rondo aint a lock for Top 5

beasted86
10-29-2011, 01:53 AM
Paul, Rose, Williams, Nash, and ______ are the top 5 PGs.

You ask different people and they'll fill that blank with a Rondo, Kidd, Parker, Billups, etc. So, yeah, Rondo is probably top 5 on a good day.

Aside from his shooting problems I think Rondo's defense is overrated. Often leaves his team out to dry in transition going for rebounds, and is not a shut down ball hawk 1 on 1.

Wade>You
10-29-2011, 02:20 AM
I'd love Rondo on the Heat. The guy doesn't get the credit he deserves IMO. He makes the plays that win games.

seikou8
10-29-2011, 02:29 AM
I'd love Rondo on the Heat. The guy doesn't get the credit he deserves IMO. He makes the plays that win games.

hes good but overated on defence and offense

Wade>You
10-29-2011, 04:15 AM
hes good but overated on defence and offenseOffensively, agree, but he draws double teams and breaks down defenses. I don't know why exactly he does manage to create problems, but teams bite on it.

Defensively, he's pretty pesky and can take PGs out of their comfort zone.

He's also a great rebounding PG, which is big IMO because many PGs do not rebound.

Chronz
10-29-2011, 04:20 AM

You ask different people and they'll fill that blank with a Rondo, Kidd, Parker, Billups, etc. So, yeah, Rondo is probably top 5 on a good day.

Aside from his shooting problems I think Rondo's defense is overrated. Often leaves his team out to dry in transition going for rebounds, and is not a shut down ball hawk 1 on 1.

Why Nash?

Monta is beast
10-29-2011, 04:28 AM

Dude I thought the bug was actually on my screen lmao.

SportsFanatic10
10-29-2011, 04:35 AM
Why Nash?

why not? hes not very good defensively but he does everything you could ask for out of a point guard on offense and does it at a very high level(except for maybe slashing). i highly doubt theres many people that don't have nash in the top 5 right now.

Chronz
10-29-2011, 05:50 AM
why not? hes not very good defensively but he does everything you could ask for out of a point guard on offense and does it at a very high level(except for maybe slashing). i highly doubt theres many people that don't have nash in the top 5 right now.
I suppose so I just find it odd having him in the locks category with CP3 and co.

ne3xchamps
10-29-2011, 07:14 AM

this. Hates are gonna hate though.

ne3xchamps
10-29-2011, 07:15 AM

Overrated on defense? Have you ever WATCHED a celtics game and not highlights? He's the definition of a true point guard.

The goods
10-29-2011, 09:02 AM
I like westbrook but rondo is a true pg that makes plays,so yes

ldawg
10-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Rondo is a true point guard with many flaws and would play well in an overall talented team. However he would make a team of average players worst. He fits Boston style because they have shooters at the other position so it opens the floor. Rhondo and Howard would make an awful one two punch where West Brook and Howard would be better. Howard and D Rose would be down right nasty. Howard would make a huge mistake to team up with the true pg in Rondo.They would blow every close game in the 4th quarter with their ft shooting.

1-800-STFU
10-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Rose > Rondo

imagesrdecievin
10-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I love when fans consider it 'hating' that player X is listed outside of a top 5 or 10 or whatever. Do you really think it's offensive to Rondo's game if someone has him rated behind Westbrook and/or Nash?

Rondo is outside of the top 3 but definitely in the 4-6 range. Whether it's 4-5-6 is subjective and there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

It's fun to debate - but the homer defense of people are 'haters' is just plain weak.

DodgerBlue22
10-29-2011, 11:20 AM

NY pic so I'll assume you don't watch many Cs games. Bet you saw the Knicks series though. Overated?? By who?? The guy does what a PG is supposed to do. Plays great defense and distributes the ball to his scorers. Did you see what happened to the Cs vs Miami when he hurt is elbow?? The series was over. Can he shoot?? No not a bit, but HE'S A PG not a SG..I wish people would just see athletes for what they are and stop hating on their abilities just cuz they are on other teams. I'm a diehard Cs fan and Kobe in my mind is the best player in the NBA hands down. I see guys for what they are not who they play for.

beasted86
10-29-2011, 11:22 AM

Wow, totally forgot Westbrook.

Maybe Rondo isn't a top 5 PG.... :shrug:

DodgerBlue22
10-29-2011, 11:22 AM
I love when fans consider it 'hating' that player X is listed outside of a top 5 or 10 or whatever. Do you really think it's offensive to Rondo's game if someone has him rated behind Westbrook and/or Nash?

Rondo is outside of the top 3 but definitely in the 4-6 range. Whether it's 4-5-6 is subjective and there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

It's fun to debate - but the homer defense of people are 'haters' is just plain weak.

I just feel like some guys on these threads hate certain players cuz of the team they are on instead of just ranking players based on their ability alone. When it comes to Lebron the Lakers or Celtics most judgement is purely on dislike for the player or his organization not the players they are. That's not too hard to see. Same reason anyone outside of Dallas hates Romo.

NYMetros
10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
I have him 6th.
1. Chris Paul
2. Derrick Rose
3. Deron Williams
4. Steve Nash
5. Russell Westbrook
6. Rajon Rondo

Corey
10-29-2011, 11:24 AM
Overrated on defense? Have you ever WATCHED a celtics game and not highlights? He's the definition of a true point guard.

No, the poster has a point.

Rondo is a very good defender, but he gambles for steals far too much, and allows his man to get by him because he knows that he has KG + (had) Perk in the paint waiting. He struggles immensely guarding bigger point guards like Rose and Billups, and he's best in a help situation off the ball.

Rondo's reputation comes from his help D, getting in the passing lanes, and knowing when to gamble for steals. He isn't the greatest straight up man to man defender.

Lucky.
10-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Yes, Can't shoot but can pass, Play D and can drive if needed. If I was running A team that is what I would want in A PG, But that's just me.

imagesrdecievin
10-29-2011, 11:40 AM
If we are arguing semantics then it's probably more accurate to say that Rondo is an impact defender because of his ability to create turnovers.

I believe that if he wanted to keep his man in front of him he'd be capable of doing a better job of it. Given he's had such a great frontline behind him to erase mistakes it absolutely makes sense to gamble like he does.

Regardless - defense is a check in the positives category when discussing his game.

Avenged
10-29-2011, 11:46 AM
All he has to do is improve that horrendous shot of his then he'll be a lock for top 5.

Hawkeye15
10-29-2011, 12:05 PM
I don't have him in my top 5 personally, but I am not going to criticize anyone for having him there if they can explain rationally why they have him there. For me, he is just such a pathetic shooter and foul shooter, and I think his defense is overrated indivually. I have him #6 on my personal rankings.

Hawkeye15
10-29-2011, 12:06 PM
If we are arguing semantics then it's probably more accurate to say that Rondo is an impact defender because of his ability to create turnovers.

I believe that if he wanted to keep his man in front of him he'd be capable of doing a better job of it. Given he's had such a great frontline behind him to erase mistakes it absolutely makes sense to gamble like he does.

Regardless - defense is a check in the positives category when discussing his game.

pretty accurate here.

Hawkeye15
10-29-2011, 12:08 PM
The biggest problem with Rondo when starting a team, is you now NEED efficient scorers, or his strengths won't be optimized at all. Paul, Rose, Nash, Deron are capable scorers AND distributors. You can throw them into any mix and they will be great.

Hustlenomics
10-29-2011, 12:34 PM
this. Hates are gonna hate though.

lol I swear they don't know

NY pic so I'll assume you don't watch many Cs games. Bet you saw the Knicks series though. Overated?? By who?? The guy does what a PG is supposed to do. Plays great defense and distributes the ball to his scorers. Did you see what happened to the Cs vs Miami when he hurt is elbow?? The series was over. Can he shoot?? No not a bit, but HE'S A PG not a SG..I wish people would just see athletes for what they are and stop hating on their abilities just cuz they are on other teams. I'm a diehard Cs fan and Kobe in my mind is the best player in the NBA hands down. I see guys for what they are not who they play for.

+ 1,000

No, the poster has a point.

Rondo is a very good defender, but he gambles for steals far too much, and allows his man to get by him because he knows that he has KG + (had) Perk in the paint waiting. He struggles immensely guarding bigger point guards like Rose and Billups, and he's best in a help situation off the ball.

Rondo's reputation comes from his help D, getting in the passing lanes, and knowing when to gamble for steals. He isn't the greatest straight up man to man defender.

He would gamble a couple times a game and people blew that over and claimed he gambled all game. How come he was able to stay in front of Lebron when the heat played them in the season? He's giving 8 inches and 80 pounds and held Lebron to 2 points while covering him in the fourth.

Super.
10-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Rondo at 6 is fine with me.

He's a different kind if PG from what we normally see. He doesn't need to score, he has others to do that for him. He's one of the best distributors in the NBA and to top it off his defense is really good (still has its holes) I wish he was a better jump shooter, but he's been improving gradually over the past few seasons.

Happy to have him in Boston

Corey
10-30-2011, 10:17 AM
How come he was able to stay in front of Lebron when the heat played them in the season? He's giving 8 inches and 80 pounds and held Lebron to 2 points while covering him in the fourth.

You can stay in front of any player when you're attempting to turn them into a jump shooter, and you have Kevin Garnett waiting on the block if they drive to the lane, and Paul Pierce waiting if they try to pull up mid range.

I didn't say Rondo isn't a good defender. I said his strengths come in the help game, and he gambles far to much to be considered an elite man to man defender.

NetsPaint
10-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Is he better than John Wall (not a great shooter and finisher from what I've seen) and Jrue Holiday?

Mishmin
10-30-2011, 11:16 AM
My man Corey is right about Rondo's defensive skill being based more on accurate gambles and help d rather than straight man to man.

I would argue that one of Rondo's strongest attributes (other than the obvious passing and floorseeing ability) is that his crazy ego doesn't let him get rattled by big games. Deep in the playoffs, he believes he deserves to be there, and plays as such. I guess guys like Holiday and Wall haven't had the chance to prove themselves on such a stage, but right now it's something that separates Rondo.

Green_Monster
10-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Rondo does what PG's should do. Distribute the ball to your scorers and play good defense. He plays very good defense and is one of the best passers in the league.

Kashmir13579
10-30-2011, 04:29 PM
We live in a Golden Age of PG's, Rondo aint a lock for Top 5

He aint a lock but i doubt he drops any lower than 6. His offensive numbers are god-awful but his defense, distribution, and intangibles are right up there.

Kashmir13579
10-30-2011, 04:31 PM
He is one of the most exciting players in the league, nonetheless.

Chronz
10-30-2011, 06:28 PM
He would gamble a couple times a game and people blew that over and claimed he gambled all game. How come he was able to stay in front of Lebron when the heat played them in the season? He's giving 8 inches and 80 pounds and held Lebron to 2 points while covering him in the fourth.
Doc Rivers aint just people

He aint a lock but i doubt he drops any lower than 6. His offensive numbers are god-awful but his defense, distribution, and intangibles are right up there.
Hes in my Top 5 (Last I thought about it) but I wouldnt berate someone for not agreeing not in this day and age. You got a guy like Tony Parker with just as much of a case who never gets credit.

COOLbeans
10-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Westbrook's not in the conversation. id put Curry before him. And as someone mentioned previously, Rondo's a legit PG who makes winning plays. The only PG's I put before him are Chris Paul, D Williams and Rose. Rajon was hurt late last year, but unlike Westbrook, he does dominate basketball games. He's got an old mans game imo and he's in the mold of a classic PG.

smith&wesson
10-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Yes i cant really think of 5 other pg's id rather have over him.

paul
rose
d.will
nash ?? maybe
rondo

Hustlenomics
10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
this dumb thread wouldn't be up if there wasn't a lockout because Rondo would be tearing it up right now

Sportfan
10-30-2011, 08:05 PM
still not sold on Westy in all honesty

beasted86
10-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Rondo is definitely overrated on defense... but nowadays most PGs are.

Considering I grew up in the era watching Dumars, Payton, Blaylock, McMillan, Harper and the likes make every possession a task for opposing PGs, this newer wave of PGs in the no hand-check league don't impress me. Gamblers and floppers.

daleja424
10-30-2011, 08:35 PM
I say NO. Rondo is only as effective as he is b/c of the great players that are around him. He is a good guard, but his lack of shooting ability makes him a scoring liability.

I think the top PGs in the NBA should make the players around them better...not vice versa.

I say no... not top 5

NYKNYGNYY
10-30-2011, 08:49 PM
yes he makes everyone around him better hes valuable

ManningToTyree
10-30-2011, 11:48 PM
yes he is #5 in my eyes. I'm waiting for the year when he comes in and starts shooting well. I might have to wait forever for that though. Shooting can be fixed, so assuming he has a good work ethic he can become even better

ModernDaySavage
10-31-2011, 05:23 AM
I say NO. Rondo is only as effective as he is b/c of the great players that are around him. He is a good guard, but his lack of shooting ability makes him a scoring liability.

I think the top PGs in the NBA should make the players around them better...not vice versa.

I say no... not top 5

If you're trying to say Rondo is only good because of the players around him, that's a bit absurd...I would honestly say Rondo makes his teammates way better than the likes of Rose or Westbrook.

Shmontaine
10-31-2011, 11:00 AM
If you're trying to say Rondo is only good because of the players around him, that's a bit absurd...I would honestly say Rondo makes his teammates way better than the likes of Rose or Westbrook.

you switch rose and rondo -- the celtics get better and the bulls get worse

you switch wetbrook and rondo -- that may be a wash with KD there, but the thunder did need westbrook to score, which the celtics never really need/ask rondo to score...

Hustlenomics
10-31-2011, 03:02 PM
^ Rose hasn't even made the finals or won a championship so stop with those dumb hypothetical situations people

Corey
10-31-2011, 03:03 PM
this dumb thread wouldn't be up if there wasn't a lockout because Rondo would be tearing it up right now

mature, call a thread dumb because it doesn't agree with your opinion.

Corey
10-31-2011, 03:08 PM
^ Rose hasn't even made the finals or won a championship so stop with those dumb hypothetical situations people

if there wasn't a lockout because Rondo would be tearing it up right now

Ironic.

Sactown
10-31-2011, 03:43 PM
Outside of CP3, Williams, and DRose we get into a gray area because I think it depends on what the rest of the roster looks like. I wouldn't want Westbrook on the celtics I'd take Rondo over him, but that doesn't mean Rondo is the better player.

I think CP3, Williams, and Rose are the only 3 PG's that I can say without a doubt, on any roster, I'd take them ahead of any other PG's because they're just on another level

The rest just depend on what the situation looks like

Kashmir13579
10-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Doc Rivers aint just people

Hes in my Top 5 (Last I thought about it) but I wouldnt berate someone for not agreeing not in this day and age. You got a guy like Tony Parker with just as much of a case who never gets credit.

Wow i totally forgot about Parker.

Corey
10-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Wow i totally forgot about Parker.

A lot of people do. He's so overlooked for some reason.

blastmasta26
10-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Calling it a dumb thread, really? No need to get offended, it is actually a legitimate question. He's borderline top 5, and while he may be in it, he is by no means a lock.