PDA

View Full Version : NBA officially cancels games through Nov. 30th

GodsSon
10-28-2011, 10:01 PM
@WojYahooNBAAdrian Wojnarowski: The NBA will cancel regular season games through November 30th, a league source tells Y! Sports.

After announcing that the league has canceled all games through Nov. 30 and dashing any hopes of a full 82-game schedule [see post below], Commissioner David Stern says that the NBA’s position will harden from here, given the fact that the league, according to Stern, has lost $200 million by missing out on the preseason and will lose hundreds of millions more with the loss of November games.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/10/28/its-go-time-in-nba-talks/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Also via Woj's twitter

GodsSon
10-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Some interesting quotes from Stern...

Stern: "The Mid-level exception at $5 million is a big concession by our owners."

Stern essentially says: As the NBA loses more money with the cancellation of games, the players can expect owner's offers to get worse.

RekeHavoc
10-28-2011, 10:05 PM
awesome!!!!!!!!! go OWNERS!!! get that 50-50 split and take nothing less, stand up to the superteam epidemic!

clutchfan
10-28-2011, 10:15 PM
awesome!!!!!!!!! go OWNERS!!! get that 50-50 split and take nothing less, stand up to the superteam epidemic!

GO OWNERS!!!! :clap:

beasted86
10-28-2011, 10:21 PM
@GreedyNBAstards: guess what? Fans provide the money you're fighting over

@MickyArison: u r barking at wrong owner.

@GreedyNBAstards: Then can you bark at the other owners? This is RIDICULOUS!!!

@MickyArison: Now u r making some sense

http://twitter.com/#!/MickyArison

Wade>You
10-28-2011, 10:23 PM
@MickyArison
:) RT @A_Flacco8: @MickyArison having "all 32 teams compete" is complete BS. Such an unrealistic and stupid idea.

@MickyArison

Lol RT @ImranQ805: @MickyArison as a Clipper fan curious do you ever talk w/ Sterling? any thoughts on the guy?

beasted86
10-28-2011, 10:23 PM
I wonder how many owners are willing to actually take the 52% right now... and conversely, how many players are willing to take the 50/50% right now?

I hate this whole chief negotiating nonsense. Why not get all 29 owners and 450 players in one room, or on conference call and have both sides private ballot vote.

seikou8
10-28-2011, 10:27 PM
I wonder how many owners are willing to actually take the 52% right now... and conversely, how many players are willing to take the 50/50% right now?

I hate this whole chief negotiating nonsense. Why not get all 29 owners and 450 players in one room, or on conference call and have both sides private ballot vote.

this

Bruno
10-28-2011, 10:37 PM

GO OWNERS!!!! :clap:

:laugh2:

Those poor billionaires just can't catch a damn break.

ManRam
10-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Oh well. As long as there are a few months and PLAYOFFS I'll forget about this...for the most part.

VillaMaravilla
10-28-2011, 10:58 PM
this thing is ggetting worse by the minute as of right now with all the money lost why would the owners even budge, its the player who are not getting paid the owners were super rich before they bought their teams and their going to keep being rich with or without basketball

mzgrizz
10-28-2011, 11:04 PM
For all the lost money already; lost and hurting fans; laid off workers in the NBA and businesses that thrived off the games

In the immortal words of Ron White, you can't cure stupid

ink
10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Oh well. As long as there are a few months and PLAYOFFS I'll forget about this...for the most part.

I'm not too stressed about this but I do want to see more than arguing over BRI.

mzgrizz
10-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm stressed now. I have held hope that they would work it all out and maybe just lose pre season games. Now I'm on a frickin rollercoaster and want off. Everytime they get us all excited that they've fixed it, it's like Lucy and Charlie Brown all over again. ARGH !!!!!!

Anilyzer
10-28-2011, 11:56 PM
After announcing that the league has canceled all games through Nov. 30 and dashing any hopes of a full 82-game schedule [see post below], Commissioner David Stern says that the NBA’s position will harden from here, given the fact that the league, according to Stern, has lost $200 million by missing out on the preseason and will lose hundreds of millions more with the loss of November games.

Look, everybody just relax. I told you that David Stern was going to start freaking out--he's no doubt furious. Today was the day that the lockout REALLY starts, and the owners start to take it in the shorts.

This kind of threat and tantrum, essentially saying he's going to trash all the negotiating progress to this point unless he gets his way NOW, is a sure sign of desperation. It is not the sign of a cool and collected negotiator. This shows clearly that it's getting out of control.

I feel that the true enemy of Stern is actually the small market owners, but he can't say that. If it was just Stern, Cuban, Buss, etc voting then this would've been done.

Anilyzer
10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Point is, deal gets done. If the deal doesn't get done by Tuesday, then, probably, we can just forget about the whole season and next year the NBA becomes like the NHL, and signs a new, low-income TV deal with the Travel Channel or something, and all the owners draw together in a big circle and **** each other.

But I don't think that will happen. Stern freaking out shows you that he is now desperate and motivated (as opposed to smirky, smarmy and smug), and so now this gets done. He is no doubt on the phone to every owner right now 24 hours a day around the clock with an army of lawyers threatening everybody.

King P
10-29-2011, 12:00 AM
I'm still fully focused on football, and I'm not as mad to be honest. Not really looking forward to the 2011 season anyway. I'm waiting til 2012 for NBA.

The 2012 season should be so much more exciting. You got a stacked draft to look forward to, and then you got superstars like Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, & Deron Williams hitting the open market. It will almost be as exciting as the 2010 offseason.

So I don't mind waiting til next year since 2012 >>> 2011

seikou8
10-29-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm still fully focused on football, and I'm not as mad to be honest. Not really looking forward to the 2011 season anyway. I'm waiting til 2012 for NBA.

The 2012 season should be so much more exciting. You got a stacked draft to look forward to, and then you got superstars like Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, & Deron Williams hitting the open market. It will almost be as exciting as the 2010 offseason.

So I don't mind waiting til next year since 2012 >>> 2011

:facepalm:so what 2012 season is more exciting i want to see some basketball. football is two days of the week for four mouths. basketball to me is best sport, owners and players please get a ****ing deal done i want to see lebron choke or win, i want to see the knick play,and i want see if derrick rose is the real deal or that season was fluke.

ink
10-29-2011, 01:17 AM
Look, everybody just relax. I told you that David Stern was going to start freaking out--he's no doubt furious. Today was the day that the lockout REALLY starts, and the owners start to take it in the shorts.

This kind of threat and tantrum, essentially saying he's going to trash all the negotiating progress to this point unless he gets his way NOW, is a sure sign of desperation. It is not the sign of a cool and collected negotiator. This shows clearly that it's getting out of control.

I feel that the true enemy of Stern is actually the small market owners, but he can't say that. If it was just Stern, Cuban, Buss, etc voting then this would've been done.

I doubt he's furious or freaking out. These guys knew this was going to happen.