PDA

View Full Version : A Good Read

Isca92
10-28-2011, 12:29 PM
The iTorts Shuffle
Posted 8:52 AM ET | Comments 5
Tired of your hockey team having bad chemistry?

Sick of spending hours making line combinations that may actually work?

There is a solution to all of your problems: The iTorts Shuffle.

Based on the most popular Apple product, the iPod Shuffle, which plays your music in a random order, the iTorts Shuffle picks a line combination for you. It is effortless, and it is exciting. Just push the button and you will know instantly which players to send over the boards next.

Get the iTorts Shuffle and you will love the suspense it brings. Anything is possible.

Donít think 60 million dollar man Brad Richards would ever play with grinders Boyle and Prust? Think again.

Donít expect to see Marian Gaborik benched for most of the 3rd period while trailing 2-0? Think again.

ďWhat about chemistry?Ē you may ask. But that stuff is overrated. Just look back to Scott Gomez. He never developed chemistry with Jaromir Jagr, and he brought back Ryan McDonagh from Montreal in what pundits are calling the most fair trade of the century.

The iTorts Shuffle will save you tons of time from your busy coaching schedule. Now, instead of spending your afternoons finding a left winger for the top line, you can hang around bus stops looking for beat reporters to beat up.

Never be distracted by trivial line combinations during the game either. You will be able to devote all your attention to yelling and making faces of disdain at your players, their players, the refs, and the scoreboard. Plus, the iTorts Shuffle is hands free, allowing you the ability to throw water bottles into the crowd whenever it pleases you.

Still donít believe it?

The iTorts Shuffle has been proven with numerous studies on EA Sports NHL 12. Five independent testers all had undefeated seasons* in the trial runs using the iTorts Shuffle. (*level beginner)

After all, hockey players are exactly like video games. They donít need time to develop chemistry and comfort with their linemates. Just throw them out there and they will get the job done. When they win a Stanley Cup for you, nobody will ever be allowed to question your ill-advised coaching decisions again.

Just ask Stanley Cup Winning Coach John Tortorella.

http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=12147&user_id=33266%3Cbr%20/%3E

NYR_NYJ
10-28-2011, 12:42 PM
It's really getting old.

I am Torts fan but not for long if he does this, the whole season...again.

Isca92
10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
I will say I am not a Torts fan and never have been, before he came here and since hes been here. I don't agree with his style of play or his decision making. For instance, Prust had 5 or 6 short handed goals last season and up until the Flames game he didn't play any penalty kills. I don't agree how certain players get put in the dog house while others do the same thing and see no reprecussions. Most of all I don't agree with his baby antics in post game. In Europe, I just want to get home. In Edmonton, we sucked from head to toe and thats all he would say. Everything is an excuse, the team wasn't built for him when he took over, then it was no number 1 center, now he has his number 1 center but Staals out so thats the new excuse. Look at Dan Byslma, how many games did he play last season without Sid and Geno and hes doing it again this year, thats a coach.

YankeeFanAlways
10-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Pretty clever read. But as funny as it is, the writer built in a lot of reality. I want Torts to leave lines intact so that they can develop chemistry together. Players need to know where their linemates will be and where & when they want the puck delivered to them.

Similiar to a QB & his receivers. Keep changing the receivers and familiarity will never develop (right, Jets fans?). Torts needs to put lines together and leave them alone. Time will tell whether or not they should remain together. And by time, I don't mean 10-20 minutes.

bsi
10-29-2011, 09:55 AM
My problem with this team is that we have two players in Wolski and Christensen, who aren't 3rd and 4th line type players, if those guys are gonna be kept they should be on the top two lines, if there's no room for them, trade them and get a top 2 line LW even if you have to put a pick in there, or a D. I don't mind the line shuffling at the start of the year, players need to be held accountable for their play, if this continues past November I'll be concerned. This is just a wake up call to Richards and that's all, he was brought in to do a job and to this point he hasn't done it.

Mr.Wiskers
10-29-2011, 01:37 PM
Never liked Torts from beginning. A Boston guy in NY come on! Everybody says the same thing how can you build chemistry when you are constantly being changed from one line to another.

Mr.Wiskers
10-29-2011, 01:40 PM
Common sense, plus he waives Weise a cheap 3rd-4th line guy, power forward and u prefer to keep Rupp,Fedortenko and pay more.

Dernelle
10-29-2011, 05:42 PM
John the Rat Tortorella needs to be fired as soon as possible. Despise the guy more than I despise Chris Drury, but he needs to go if this season is going to be saved

NYR_NYJ
10-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Why do you Despise Drury?

mlisica19
10-29-2011, 10:28 PM
I think its humorous that you all "despise" Torts because of his line changes. Do any of you watch the game? Its not the line changes or amount of shots that hurt us. Its so simple, its right in front of your eyes.

On offense its our motionless style of play. Especially on our PP. The team stands still waiting for players with the puck to do something, then they react. The players, each and every one of them, needs to be constantly moving. They need to open themselves up to give their teammates OPTIONS. They need to move the puck up as one, they need to cycle, they need to be smart and be SIMPLE! How many quality chances or actual goals did we have today when we actually moved the puck and our players looked to get open.

On defense, our biggest problem is also positioning. Our wingers come down to much, our defenders dont get rid of the puck fast enough and our players are just not being smart.

I dont care about the line changes, our team should be able to play with everyone on each line. I dont care about how many shots we have, I want quality performance not a quantity of shots.

Tortorellas biggest problem is that he seems to not realize that our teams biggest mistakes are so simple.

1) Work more on simplicity. Not simple plays, but simple choices.
2) Work on offensive and defensive positioning. Having players cyle even without the puck

our biggest problem today is that the team was not simple in our zone... they forced too many things and led to turnovers.

Dernelle
10-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Why do you Despise Drury?

dont get me started on Drury, I have really high blood pressure and don't want that guy to kill me.

mlisica19
10-30-2011, 11:24 AM
dont get me started on Drury, I have really high blood pressure and don't want that guy to kill me.

What? :confused:
What did he do to you? Did he shove you while you walked by him and never said sorry? Did he make you spill your drink? Did he make a fat mama joke?

Lemme guess, you never actually had the pleasure to meet the stand up character Drury is, and just dont like what he did to the Rangers... but the answer to my question lies with you... what did he exactly do to the Rangers?

Because he worked as hard as he could for the Rangers...
its not his fault the Rangers gave him 7.5 million. If i was Drury, I would have gladly accepted 7.5 million dollars per year for a playoff capable team and a big market that is NYC.
Why cuz he did not live up to expectations? The guy worked his butt off for the Rangers, but getting older and blocking a ton of shots night in and night out could slow a guy down. Especially when he gets hurt...
The guy sacraficed his body, he was a stand up character and a true leader.

Oh wait, r u mad because he did not opt out of his contract... would you? I cant blame the guy for being kicked out of his team and wanting his $$$ after that. He tried for a month and more to go to another team including the blackhawks and othe rplayoff capable teams but at his age and worn down body he was looking for a playoff team but no one wanted him. He retired...

You cant blame the guy for trying...

But have your hatred for the guy... he was a role model and a true leader for our youth... I guarantee every young Ranger who got the chance to play with him learned something valuable from him and I thank him for that...

I hope he comes back to the NHL... heck I wish the guy comes back for like a million bucks for our team. We need more depth on the PKilling. We need a more reliable faceooff winner. I would have loved to keep Drury for like a million bucks and be our 3rd or 4th line center... PKiller and sometimes our slot guy for the PP. Guy knew where to place his body...

Too be honest, I think Callahan was too young to don the C. Dont get me wrong, Callahan deserved it in the near future and I did not want anyone else to get it on the current roster... this is where I would have said, i would have loved to keep Drury

1) One of the best PKillers
2) One of the best shot blockers
3) Experienced and clutch performer
4) hardworker and passionate player
5) One of the best Faceoff players out there

The only thing haunting him on the Rangers and maybe his future was that 7.5 million. And you know what... the only reason Sather gave him that much money is because he knew we needed everything Drury was offering.

Buffalo wanted Drury back and I guarantee their highest big for him was 6-6.5
Colorado wanted him back and with a large cap room, I guarantee they were offering nearly the same
New Jersey, Blackhawks and other teams were interested in him and coming off one of his best years he was gonan be given well over 6 million somewhere.

Sather just made sure we got him.

fingerbang
10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
What? :confused:
What did he do to you? Did he shove you while you walked by him and never said sorry? Did he make you spill your drink? Did he make a fat mama joke?

Lemme guess, you never actually had the pleasure to meet the stand up character Drury is, and just dont like what he did to the Rangers... but the answer to my question lies with you... what did he exactly do to the Rangers?

Because he worked as hard as he could for the Rangers...
its not his fault the Rangers gave him 7.5 million. If i was Drury, I would have gladly accepted 7.5 million dollars per year for a playoff capable team and a big market that is NYC.
Why cuz he did not live up to expectations? The guy worked his butt off for the Rangers, but getting older and blocking a ton of shots night in and night out could slow a guy down. Especially when he gets hurt...
The guy sacraficed his body, he was a stand up character and a true leader.

Oh wait, r u mad because he did not opt out of his contract... would you? I cant blame the guy for being kicked out of his team and wanting his $$$ after that. He tried for a month and more to go to another team including the blackhawks and othe rplayoff capable teams but at his age and worn down body he was looking for a playoff team but no one wanted him. He retired...

You cant blame the guy for trying...

But have your hatred for the guy... he was a role model and a true leader for our youth... I guarantee every young Ranger who got the chance to play with him learned something valuable from him and I thank him for that...

I hope he comes back to the NHL... heck I wish the guy comes back for like a million bucks for our team. We need more depth on the PKilling. We need a more reliable faceooff winner. I would have loved to keep Drury for like a million bucks and be our 3rd or 4th line center... PKiller and sometimes our slot guy for the PP. Guy knew where to place his body...

Too be honest, I think Callahan was too young to don the C. Dont get me wrong, Callahan deserved it in the near future and I did not want anyone else to get it on the current roster... this is where I would have said, i would have loved to keep Drury

1) One of the best PKillers
2) One of the best shot blockers
3) Experienced and clutch performer
4) hardworker and passionate player
5) One of the best Faceoff players out there

The only thing haunting him on the Rangers and maybe his future was that 7.5 million. And you know what... the only reason Sather gave him that much money is because he knew we needed everything Drury was offering.

Buffalo wanted Drury back and I guarantee their highest big for him was 6-6.5
Colorado wanted him back and with a large cap room, I guarantee they were offering nearly the same
New Jersey, Blackhawks and other teams were interested in him and coming off one of his best years he was gonan be given well over 6 million somewhere.

Sather just made sure we got him.

He made the Rangers buy him out and then he made no attempt to continue playing hockey lol. He was a bum in NY.

Garden Faithful
10-30-2011, 12:03 PM
I think its humorous that you all "despise" Torts because of his line changes. Do any of you watch the game? Its not the line changes or amount of shots that hurt us. Its so simple, its right in front of your eyes.

On offense its our motionless style of play. Especially on our PP. The team stands still waiting for players with the puck to do something, then they react. The players, each and every one of them, needs to be constantly moving. They need to open themselves up to give their teammates OPTIONS. They need to move the puck up as one, they need to cycle, they need to be smart and be SIMPLE! How many quality chances or actual goals did we have today when we actually moved the puck and our players looked to get open.

On defense, our biggest problem is also positioning. Our wingers come down to much, our defenders dont get rid of the puck fast enough and our players are just not being smart.

I dont care about the line changes, our team should be able to play with everyone on each line. I dont care about how many shots we have, I want quality performance not a quantity of shots.

Tortorellas biggest problem is that he seems to not realize that our teams biggest mistakes are so simple.

1) Work more on simplicity. Not simple plays, but simple choices.
2) Work on offensive and defensive positioning. Having players cyle even without the puck

our biggest problem today is that the team was not simple in our zone... they forced too many things and led to turnovers.

Isn't everything you said in this post one way or another a problem that has not been solved by our coaching staff. Furthermore you simply cannot continuously change the lines up and expect to have chemistry it just isn't realistic. I understand juggling every once in a while to shake things up but he changes the lines on a period to period basis sometimes not even that long. The players won't say it but you can't expect to have success on offense when you play with a different player each time out on the ice.

bsi
10-30-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm not a big fan of shifting lines up, but really what option does Tortorella have? The guys aren't working for him, they aren't getting results with the players they're playing with so he does the only thing is his control to do, shift the players up. I realize it's easy to blame one person but this is on the whole team, but mostly our best players. Callahan, Dubinsky, Richards and Gaborik have to be our best players every night. Currently it hasn't been that way for an entire 60 mins. Until Dubi and Cally get their a$$es in gear this team won't be winnning too many games. Cally is leading in shots on net I understand that but the shots he's taking are not quality shots. Dubinsky looks like a rookie, and Richards looks like a 50 point player. Gaborik has bursts during the game, but doesn't play a whole game. These 4 guys are the heart of this team, the team will only be as good as they play, and right now they aren't playing anywhere near their potential. IMO if they don't wanna be top six players, we should be calling up someone that can play in that role, maybe Hagelin or even John Mitchell, if for no other reason than the fact that it gives Dubi and Cally a kick in the pants to get their game going. I really don't know what's wrong with this group. They are a much better team than they are showing.

mlisica19
10-30-2011, 10:31 PM
Chemistry is not even the issue! Tortorella changed the lines up this week and look what happened. We scored 4 goals in one game. Explain that one... Chemistry is not the problem... Its our system. Its the choices our players make with or without the puck.

Except I wont blame the players... I do blame the coaching staff. At least with some proper cause.

I watched some old film on the 90's Rangers PP. They started out in a box and one... they moved the puck with quickness and ease. Starting from the point, pass down low, back to the point, back down low, back up top, a cross pass to the opposite player down low back to the top... the entire time they are tightening the space, closing in the box. Maybe a few shots but all rebounds are brought back around and started over. It was a quick and simple PP. A threatening PP even if they didnt score, and they did score alot.

The PP we have now, along with our entire offense, tries to either do to little or too much. At least its getting better... their finally moving and cycling.

I thought about getting rid of Torts, but I have some faith in the guy. Its a long season and sooner or later the team will click. Its coming around... I like the guy for keeping our YOUTH... FInally someone who wants to keep the youth moving and not just trying for a quick Chance at the cup

Garden Faithful
10-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Chemistry is not even the issue! Tortorella changed the lines up this week and look what happened. We scored 4 goals in one game. Explain that one... Chemistry is not the problem... Its our system. Its the choices our players make with or without the puck.

I will gladly explain that with we scored the same amount of goals in the last 3 games combined before that as we did in this one. Also I might add that two of the goals were on a 5 minute PP...oh and the other two goals were scored by our best two players who have been consistently good all season so far. By your logic it can only be a fluke if its bad but god forbid we succeed it cant be fluke also. Be realistic with this, it has nothing to do with Tortarella, any coach who constantly messes with the lines will not see success unless a vast majority of the players are really good...a luxury we don't have. I do agree with you on not having a system however because we don't which again is a coaching problem.

Isca92
10-31-2011, 01:39 AM
The team has a system its called the left wing lock, which is funnny in its self because thats the one position that is constantly switching. Ive broken down the reasons I don't like it in the past so Ill skip that part but its IMO it doesn't work at in this game or with this team. It is high risk/high reward that leaves you with your pants down when you get beat.

This team is not motivated 9 games in and still another season of not playing a full 60 minute game. That comes down to leadership and whos the top of that chart? If you cant get the players to buyin to what your selling, thats a problem.

IMO this team does has not earned any of the 9 points they have so far, if not for Hank/Biron they could be sitting in the 30 spot or atleast 15th in the East.

A couple of comments from the post game against Ottawa, that really got me going on the car ride home from the garden.

In response to AA not seing much time and was it injury related "No, not injury related the guys that I felt were playing to play more in the 3rd period" (not word for word but close enough). I wish I was the reporter on that cause my next question would have been so the players that you felt were playing well blew the 3 goal lead?

Another good question was about the momentum of the 3rd period, his response was along the lines of "Well they got the momentum going and we just couldn't get stop them" followed by being asked what about a time out "well I didn't think that we needed to use it at that point."

Seems to me like some poor decision making by the coach, just like seems like he should have maybe kept Prospal over Feds, especially because when defending breaking up Richards and Gaborik was we didnt bring Brad here for him to play with Gabs, we brought him here to make us a better team. Well to that statement I make one of those faces that he has anytime they show him on the bench, when hes not screaming. You know that face do I have to take a dump or just fart, maybe I already took a dump in my pants. Wait we didn't bring him here to be a number 1 center for our top scoring winger?

Dernelle
10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
I personally believe he should have been fired after the playoff series against the Capitals that he blew, by benching Avery, then getting himself suspended the next game. Since then, he has done nothing to prove or demonstrate that he is a solid coach. It is clear he has his favorites (and this is definitely not an Avery thing), who he doesn't hold accountable as much as others. He is particularly harsh on some young players such as Enver Lisin, who he never really gave a shot to improve, but let guys like Drury and Redden sleep walk through each game. The Rangers haven't had a powerplay since he's been their coach (the personnel has something to do with it, but it is the system that is the problem), and they do not play a full 60 minutes. They are extremely inconsistent and this is a reflection of the coach. The constant line juggling cannot help for chemistry, and it also probably is detrimental to individual player's confidence. He also talks about getting "the kids" in the lineup, but this team has no rookies, and he doesn't seem to have the patience for young players. In my opinion he has done nothing but prove that he is an arrogant, egotistical miser, who only has a Stanley Cup ring because he had a team with St. Louis, Lecavlier, Richards, Boyle, and Khabibulin in their prime.

NYR_NYJ
10-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I personally believe he should have been fired after the playoff series against the Capitals that he blew, by benching Avery, then getting himself suspended the next game. Since then, he has done nothing to prove or demonstrate that he is a solid coach. It is clear he has his favorites (and this is definitely not an Avery thing), who he doesn't hold accountable as much as others. He is particularly harsh on some young players such as Enver Lisin, who he never really gave a shot to improve, but let guys like Drury and Redden sleep walk through each game. The Rangers haven't had a powerplay since he's been their coach (the personnel has something to do with it, but it is the system that is the problem), and they do not play a full 60 minutes. They are extremely inconsistent and this is a reflection of the coach. The constant line juggling cannot help for chemistry, and it also probably is detrimental to individual player's confidence. He also talks about getting "the kids" in the lineup, but this team has no rookies, and he doesn't seem to have the patience for young players. In my opinion he has done nothing but prove that he is an arrogant, egotistical miser, who only has a Stanley Cup ring because he had a team with St. Louis, Lecavlier, Richards, Boyle, and Khabibulin in their prime.

I forgot about that :facepalm: