PDA

View Full Version : Marc Stein- Sign and trades will be allowed in new CBA.

NYman15
10-27-2011, 08:56 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
BUT ... one sign-and-trade wrinkle sides still negotiating is whether teams over luxury tax will be allowed to partake in S-and-T deals
1 hour ago

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
Example of "system" issue where NBA owners/players now agree? Sign-and-trades. WILL be allowed in new deal after fears they'd be outlawed
1 hour ago

http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ

This is surprising to me. I definitely thought the owners wanted this out of the new CBA. This could really benefit some teams.
Thoughts?

king4day
10-27-2011, 09:02 PM
why wouldn't they have wanted this in the CBA?

THE MTL
10-27-2011, 09:44 PM
STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
BUT ... one sign-and-trade wrinkle sides still negotiating is whether teams over luxury tax will be allowed to partake in S-and-T deals
1 hour ago

STEIN_LINE_HQ Marc Stein
Example of "system" issue where NBA owners/players now agree? Sign-and-trades. WILL be allowed in new deal after fears they'd be outlawed
1 hour ago

http://twitter.com/#!/STEIN_LINE_HQ

This is surprising to me. I definitely thought the owners wanted this out of the new CBA. This could really benefit some teams.
Thoughts?

I thought it was stupid how owners wanted this out of the new deal. It honestly benefits ALL PARTIES!

That player could always leave as a free agent and leave the home team without jack. But in a S&T: the new team gets the player at a lower starting salary, player earns more money, and the old team gets some kind of compensation.

I feel like the owners want to hold player hostage on the team they were drafted to which is wrong. The drafting team has MANY SIGNIFICANT advantages already: longer contract, more money, higher raises, and 5 years before the player can even think about moving.

RekeHavoc
10-27-2011, 09:49 PM
the whole carmella(not a typo) situaiton was a reason

Chacarron
10-27-2011, 10:05 PM
the whole carmella(not a typo) situaiton was a reason

Was that a typo?

bholly
10-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I'd be happier with S+Ts if Bird exceptions and contract terms couldn't be used with them. The whole point of Bird rights is to allow teams to keep their players, and the whole point of the advantageous Bird contract terms (higher raises, longer contracts, etc) is to give an incentive for guys to stay with their teams. The whole reason is that it's good for fans and the league if teams develop together, rather than players moving all over the place because of cap concerns and money.
Allowing teams and players to take advantage of those things while the player is going somewhere else is bad, and goes around the intention of those rules.

Example: why should David Lee get higher annual raises to go to another team? Either stay with your team and get the bonus, or don't.
Why should the Knicks be allowed to go over the cap to re-sign a guy they aren't keeping? Either you want him and use the Bird exception to re-sign him, or you don't.
Why should the Warriors be allowed to go over the cap to get a free agent? Either leave yourself cap room to sign guys, or don't.

Same for the two guys who got S+T'd to Miami - why should they get favourable contract terms designed to incentivize staying with your own team, when they didn't stay with their teams?

If you re-sign a guy using the Bird exception you shouldn't be able to trade him for x amount of time (where x is longer than for non-Bird exception signings). If you want a free agent but you're over the cap then that's your problem and you should wait until you can trade for him the regular way from whoever ends up signing him properly.

S+Ts, for the most part, are used as mechanisms to take advantage of things that were designed for something else entirely, and I think working around the spirit of the Bird rules like that should be outlawed.

RekeHavoc
10-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Was that a typo?

actually, i was going to edit it, but left it, i didnt want to edit the post twice,lol

thenetslegend
10-27-2011, 10:26 PM
knicks and nets are happy

Hellcrooner
10-27-2011, 10:28 PM
ok, now make sure teams in luxury CAN do sign and trades.

WELLCOME TO L.A DWIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And WELLCOME TO WHEREVER ELVIS IS NOT BURIED IN , MARC GASOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYman15
10-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Yeah, teams like the Lakers and Knicks could benefit from this. The Knicks could now possibly go after their 3rd star and they wouldn't need to be under the cap 17 or 18 million dollars, or whatever the max contract is, and they could still get a Cp3 in a sign and trade that would let them go over the cap. This could help a lot of teams and this could also add some teams being interested and being able to get a Dwight or Cp3 or Deron as they could be over the cap, but still make the sign and trade. This could be really good news to some teams.

NYman15
10-27-2011, 10:54 PM

I'm not sure if the Nets are really happy. I think the Knicks are, but I believe the Nets were going to have enough cap space to sign a max player like Dwight Howard outright in free agency along with re-signing D-will and they were only one of a few teams that could do that, now that the sign and trade is possibly staying, it will allow more teams to enter the mix with teams like the Mavs, possibly, and maybe Knicks and maybe Bulls, and possibly Lakers among others. So these teams could be added to the mix of teams that could go after Dwight and the other top free agents like Deron and Cp3.
Maybe a Nets fan can correct me if I'm wrong. I might be, but I can say, as a Knicks fan, this would help the Knicks.

Wade>You
10-27-2011, 11:41 PM
A salary cap complicates everything, so I'm glad S&T is sticking around.

Cal827
10-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Good news. I mean as mentioned it would help the teams losing the player to get compensation.

I'm guessing the new trade rules they are trying to get would apply too (225%). That would be good since the team that loses a player could rebuild without worrying about having a big cap hit (E.g. If they lose a star), and could just mainly aim at prospects.

LA_Raiders
10-28-2011, 12:39 AM
Nice...

Punk
10-28-2011, 12:57 AM

Knicks are happy, Nets? not so much. Make it harder to retain Deron if he chooses to leave and it makes it harder to trade for Dwight with other teams getting a fair shot at a trade for him.