PDA

View Full Version : Settling the Lockout

NYstateofMinD
10-27-2011, 05:02 AM
All this talk about equal opportunity for competitive teams has me pondering. I propose a Fantasy Draft where the the salaries of players should depend on the round they were drafted in.

Thoughts?

NYKalltheway
10-27-2011, 05:04 AM
erm... no, though you can do that on nba2k12 to keep you half satisfied

likemystylez
10-27-2011, 10:53 AM
yeah so all the teams that have worked hard to get better making smart moves/ sacrafices and calculated risks....are basically being punished?

Shmontaine
10-27-2011, 11:24 AM
easy as pie... since the big markets will always make money, put every star in a small market... LJ in minnie, dwade in Mil, kobe in por, d12 in... okay, he can stay in orl, melo in utah, stat in sac, drose in atl, etc etc... problem sovled....

DaBUU
10-27-2011, 11:34 AM
NBA seems to only flourish when the big market teams have the best talent. Thats not my opinion on how it should be, just seems like thats the case.

Shmontaine
10-27-2011, 11:45 AM
NBA seems to only flourish when the big market teams have the best talent. Thats not my opinion on how it should be, just seems like thats the case.

ding ding...

increase the revenue sharing just enough to cover losses of other clubs and allow the big clubs to flourish... maybe allow a window for small profit to be made for small markets... the big markets will always support the small ones, but for the owners of the big markets to feel entitlement to 60+ million in profits a year while their counterparts are losing money seems a bit ridiculous... the big markets need the small markets just as much as the small need the big...

ink
10-27-2011, 01:37 PM
ding ding...

increase the revenue sharing just enough to cover losses of other clubs and allow the big clubs to flourish... maybe allow a window for small profit to be made for small markets... the big markets will always support the small ones, but for the owners of the big markets to feel entitlement to 60+ million in profits a year while their counterparts are losing money seems a bit ridiculous... the big markets need the small markets just as much as the small need the big...

The small markets won't exist if it's pointless at the beginning of each season. That's how some of you guys continue to miss the point. There has to be a plausible chance of competitiveness among all markets at the start of a season if owners/investors are going to continue to invest in the league. They have to be able to sell THE CHANCE of improvement or winning to their fanbase each season. That can't happen if the big markets have hoarded all the elite talent.

As for the OP, fantasy drafting is probably the thing that has helped destroy the fabric of the league since now even the players think that way and want to create super teams like fans do. We need the NBA and its players to stop thinking like fans and start thinking like team-oriented professionals again. Sorry.

Hellcrooner
10-27-2011, 01:52 PM
The small markets won't exist if it's pointless at the beginning of each season. That's how some of you guys continue to miss the point. There has to be a plausible chance of competitiveness among all markets at the start of a season if owners/investors are going to continue to invest in the league. They have to be able to sell THE CHANCE of improvement or winning to their fanbase each season. That can't happen if the big markets have hoarded all the elite talent.

As for the OP, fantasy drafting is probably the thing that has helped destroy the fabric of the league since now even the players think that way and want to create super teams like fans do. We need the NBA and its players to stop thinking like fans and start thinking like team-oriented professionals again. Sorry.

i would swear that okc and memphis grizzies had a solid chance to win last season, are they a big market?
cavs made the finals not logn ago, big market?
spurs have won 4 rings since last locjkout, Big maket?

Utah has been a contender for the last 25 years, Big market?

The chance to be competitive is there, draft wisely, trade wisely, dont offer stupid contracts and you will be able to contend regardless wher eyou are,

of course if you take villanueva over granger or Lee, bargnani over aldrige/roy/gay /rondo draft araujo with a lotto pick and sign almost max contracts to Turkoglu..... well you are not gonna contend, but that is not b ecause of league being unfair or being a small market ( wich you arent btw), is because your GM and Owner are STUPID.

Sactown
10-27-2011, 02:02 PM
i would swear that okc and memphis grizzies had a solid chance to win last season, are they a big market?
cavs made the finals not logn ago, big market?
spurs have won 4 rings since last locjkout, Big maket?

Utah has been a contender for the last 25 years, Big market?

The chance to be competitive is there, draft wisely, trade wisely, dont offer stupid contracts and you will be able to contend regardless wher eyou are,

of course if you take villanueva over granger or Lee, bargnani over aldrige/roy/gay /rondo draft araujo with a lotto pick and sign almost max contracts to Turkoglu..... well you are not gonna contend, but that is not b ecause of league being unfair or being a small market ( wich you arent btw), is because your GM and Owner are STUPID.

No, but because that's the way small market teams can keep their talent... they have to overpay.. and a team like OKC has to remain unprofitable to compete.. that's the problem when you keep taking losses eventually you can't afford to be competitive.. IE Kings.. the Kings weren't ever a profitable team and couldn't afford to keep putting talent on the court so now we spend the league minimum... So the conclusion is, when you have to overspend to keep talent, and you aren't making any sort of revenue, you run out of money and end up with bad deals.. and you can't remain competitive

RekeHavoc
10-27-2011, 02:03 PM
All this talk about equal opportunity for competitive teams has me pondering. I propose a Fantasy Draft where the the salaries of players should depend on the round they were drafted in.

Thoughts?

oh, for a second i thought you were talking about the nba, i didnt realize this was a NBA 2k12 thread,lol

:facepalm:

Shmontaine
10-27-2011, 03:14 PM

well, sure if the main goal was to win... but it's not... this CBA is about being profitable... that's what the owners care about most... if there is revenue sharing among the teams where all the franchises make money, i'm sure you would hear less about the competitive nature of the game... miami, chacago, and LAL almost sold out every road game they went on... how can that be a bad thing?? if small market owners are compensated for lack of attendance and fan interest, i'm sure they probably wouldn't care... the problem is they are losing money, so they hope that being competitive will draw more interest... the tv contracts that bring in the most amount of money only show like a third of the teams anyway (well, the draw is the third, there may be miami vs. was or something, but there's always a big market team on national)...