PDA

View Full Version : Sources: LeBron, Melo, Paul pull out of tour

D Roses Bulls
10-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Not surprised.......

LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul have decided not to play in the World All-Star Classic, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

This is a big blow to the six-game, four-continent tour that is scheduled to kick off Sunday in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Tour organizer Calvin Darden was hoping to feature the league's top superstars on the tour, which is also slated to make stops in London, Macau and Melbourne, Australia.

While Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade and Amare Stoudemire are still committed to playing, the absence of James, Anthony and Paul could put the entire tour in jeopardy.

Kevin Durant is also wavering on playing in the tour, sources close to tour organizers told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

James, Anthony and Paul made their decisions together after consulting with one another over the past week. The players wanted to use the lockout to spend more time with their families, sources told Broussard.

The trio is somewhat hopeful that an NBA season can begin shortly, sources told Broussard.

Paul is a member of the players union's executive committee, and a source told Broussard that Paul wanted to be available for any labor meetings that may take place with the owners.

The Puerto Rico game is presently a go because ticket sales have been brisk, but the rest of the tour could be postponed, a source told Bucher.

The trio is the second group of players to withdraw from the global tour.

Reigning NBA MVP Derrick Rose and Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook both decided not to make the trips overseas.

Rose confirmed his decision to pull out of the tour before playing in a USO-backed exhibition on Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii, the first such event featuring active NBA players.

"The scheduling was just too tough," said Rose, whose USO work will keep him in Hawaii until Friday morning.

Westbrook also opted to withdraw from the global exhibitions, sources close to tour production told Bucher on Tuesday.

In a related development, a source close to Steve Nash told Bucher the Phoenix Suns guard is not involved in the tour. Nash was reported to be a candidate for the tour on Tuesday.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7153013/sources-lebron-james-carmelo-anthony-chris-paul-world-all-star-classic

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 07:49 PM
there was also news that the CBA talks have gone much better starting Monday. This in interesting timing.

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 07:50 PM
i thought they would enjoy the opportunity to team up, and maybe they all decide to sacrifice to play together in the NBA in 5 years

*shrugs*

guess not...

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
there was also news that the CBA talks have gone much better starting Monday. This in interesting timing.

yea, just heard this a minute ago from broussard

LA_Raiders
10-26-2011, 08:05 PM
They got scared of the black mamba

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 08:07 PM

hmmm

blahblahyoutoo
10-26-2011, 09:14 PM
wow, this "world tour" is going to be lacking some serious star power without those 3.
now all it takes is kobe backing out and this thing will be a total dud.

GhostfaceDrilla
10-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Cool?

Cal827
10-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Lebron and Melo are quitting already? It hasn't even started yet :facepalm:.. just joking around (don't attack Knick/Heat/Lebron fans :D)

Dent, but as long as Wade and Kobe (and Blake?) are there, they could still play some of them.

Although I hope Paul is staying back is an indication of something good. :D

NBA_Starter
10-26-2011, 09:28 PM

Hopefully good news :pray:

jimbobjarree
10-26-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm very much interested in going to see this in London. Waiting patiently for some news on tickets. I don't see how the 02 will get anywhere near selling out if tickets aren't even available and its less than a week till tip off. Best make them cheap.

Wade>You
10-26-2011, 10:26 PM
The players wouldn't have canceled if they didn't think the season would be started by then.

LeBron cited "preparation for the season" as one of the reasons he dropped out.

David Stern pulling a 180 on the 2 week cancellation.

Definitely interesting. Also, the fact that player's could get injured in these games (not just this tour, think of Euro leagues, etc), I wonder how much of a factor that was in owner's coming together and backing off their hardline stance.

NBA_Starter
10-26-2011, 10:28 PM
The players wouldn't have canceled if they didn't think the season would be started by then.

Definitely interesting. Also, the fact that player's could get injured in these games (not just this tour, think of Euro leagues, etc), I wonder how much of a factor that was in owner's coming together and back off their hardline stance.

I hope :pray:

Raps08-09 Champ
10-26-2011, 10:34 PM

I heard they found an antitoxin for that.

naps
10-26-2011, 10:51 PM

Definitely interesting. Also, the fact that player's could get injured in these games (not just this tour, think of Euro leagues, etc), I wonder how much of a factor that was in owner's coming together and backing off their hardline stance.

So then why not Wade? I don't believe anything LeBron knows and Wade doesn't. They are like family and probably talk everyday.

NBA_Starter
10-26-2011, 10:54 PM
i heard they found an antitoxin for that.

lol :d

Chacarron
10-26-2011, 10:55 PM
hmmm

You know you are too Hawkeye. ;)

Wade>You
10-26-2011, 10:55 PM
I hope :pray:
Here's where I read it: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-lebron-james-s102611,0,2104143.story

Beyond that, the source said James has decided to spend the time with his family and continue his training in preparation for a possible start of the NBA season.

naps
10-26-2011, 10:57 PM
13 listed for San Juan: Amare, Blake Griffin, Boozer, Kaman, Bosh, Dwight, Wade, Durant, Garnett, Kevin Love, Kobe, Pierce, Rondo, Chandler

Not bad at all. Put Wade and Kobe in different teams and it's certainly a game to watch.

Wade>You
10-26-2011, 10:58 PM
So then why not Wade? I don't believe anything LeBron knows and Wade doesn't. They are like family and probably talk everyday.TBH, I don't even know who's in these games lol. And I'm guessing Wade is still in it by your post.

naps
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
TBH, I don't even know who's in these games lol. And I'm guessing Wade is still in it by your post.

Yea, I found that list from Ira and Woj...

Also from Ira...

Undisclosed "captains" to pick teams Sunday in Puerto Rico. What if Wade is a captain and bypasses Bosh for, say, Stoudemire or Boozer?

Funny.

Wade>You
10-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Yea, I found that list from Ira and Woj...

Also from Ira...

Funny.LMAO; I hope Wade picks Bosh, we need them to develop chemistry.

mdm692
10-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Nash pulls out two =/ so much for a nash and stat reunion or nash and d12 action

mccschamb
10-27-2011, 04:46 AM

bryants probably disappointed he wont get to shoot the ball more thanks to lebrons 10+ assists a night, something bryant is not capable of doing on a consistent basis