PDA

View Full Version : Slam Magazine: Kobe Bryant # 3

JordansBulls
10-26-2011, 05:29 PM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/blogs/farmer-jones/2011/10/top-50-kobe-bryant-no-3/

haggis
10-26-2011, 05:30 PM
...in 2003

juno10
10-26-2011, 05:48 PM
are they really going to have durant 1st or 2nd wow.

Bruno
10-26-2011, 06:01 PM
This is going to upset a lot of people.

It's slam though, don't bash the player, bash to source.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
10-26-2011, 06:01 PM
lolzzz @ Durant being in the top 2

daleja424
10-26-2011, 06:21 PM
This list has been atrocious. Absolute trash. You have Wade, Dirk, and Lebron sitting behind guys that they had a better individual and team season than... really?

naps
10-26-2011, 06:25 PM
worst list ever!

Chronz
10-26-2011, 06:27 PM
...in 2003

f no

Avenged
10-26-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't really see the point of posting these anymore. The credibility has been thrown out the window and people aren't interested anymore. All you will get in these threads is people complaining over and over again. I can only imagine if they rank Durant 1st. :laugh2:

Swashcuff
10-26-2011, 06:30 PM
I don't really see the point of posting these anymore. The credibility has been thrown out the window and people aren't interested anymore. All you will get in these threads is people complaining over and over again. I can only imagine if they rank Durant 1st. :laugh2:

You know what the masses bashed SI's list (the first of the off season) the most and as it turns out the SI list may be the best of them all. Matter of a fact IMO it is.

Avenged
10-26-2011, 06:53 PM
You know what the masses bashed SI's list (the first of the off season) the most and as it turns out the SI list may be the best of them all. Matter of a fact IMO it is.

I actually liked ESPN's list of top 10 outside of Blake obviously.

Cano4prez
10-26-2011, 07:03 PM
lolwut Durant

PinnacleFlash
10-26-2011, 07:09 PM
are they really going to have durant 1st or 2nd wow.

Rankings are based solely on projected 11-12 performance.

It actually doesn't sound that ridiculous when you read that. I don't get how Howard is 6th though but the rest I do understand.

Confusious
10-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Dwight being #6 is absurd. That should have been KD's placement, tbh.

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 07:16 PM
did u do this for the ESPN one too, 500 threads for all 500 players?

anyways, my top 10 atm:

1.Wade
2.Lebron
3.Kobe
4.Dirk
5.Howard
6.Rose
7.Durant
8.Paul
9.Anthony
10.Williams

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 07:31 PM
I actually liked ESPN's list of top 10 outside of Blake obviously.

yep. Swap Melo for Blake and I think they nailed it.

dwadefan03
10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
lmao at drose over wade, paul dirk and howard

C-Style
10-26-2011, 07:55 PM
lmao at drose over wade, paul dirk and howard

lmao at everyone over wade! Wade to me is the best player in the league

Slimsim
10-26-2011, 07:56 PM
PSD usually overrate Durant now they are surprise slam has him in the top 2 ?

amos1er
10-26-2011, 07:57 PM
WOW...I'm a Kobe fan and even I admit this is a horrible list. The only thing I can think of is that they are making projections on next season because it certainly isn't true about the 2010/2011 season.

amos1er
10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
PSD usually overrate Durant now they are surprise slam has him in the top 2 ?

I think that David Stern is on Durant's nuts and even he would laugh at Durant in the top 2.

amos1er
10-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Rose over Wade is a joke. The NBA overhypes Rose and Durant to the max. Both have accomplished absolutely zero. Neither deserves to be in the top five.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Rose over Wade is a joke. The NBA overhypes Rose and Durant to the max. Both have accomplished absolutely zero. Neither deserves to be in the top five.

correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Derrick Rose the current MVP? Isn't Durant the best scorer in the game for 2 years now?

I don't have Rose over Kobe personally, I need to see Rose repeat his year before I throw him above guys who have been killing it for more than a season, but I can see Durant over Kobe at this point.

Its called aging. Current rankings aren't lifetime achievement awards.

PinnacleFlash
10-26-2011, 08:10 PM
You know what I find interesting is that when you talk to people in real life and in face to face about who the best player in the league is, the answer is still usually between LeBron and Kobe. Names like Dirk, Dwight, and Wade will come up from time to time but even today it is still between Kobe and Lebron.

But what's strange is that nobody on the internet other than crazy Kobe fans believe that Kobe is still the best.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 08:15 PM
You know what I find interesting is that when you talk to people in real life and in face to face about who the best player in the league is, the answer is still usually between LeBron and Kobe. Names like Dirk, Dwight, and Wade will come up from time to time but even today it is still between Kobe and Lebron.

But what's strange is that nobody on the internet other than crazy Kobe fans believe that Kobe is still the best.

I joined this site because I was looking for more knowledgeable basketball fans than some dude at work who watches his local team and couldn't even give me a starter off the Bucks.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I figured you'd start to list the other people.

naps
10-26-2011, 08:38 PM
This list lost it's credibility when Dwight was ranked #6. I think ESPN got the most accurate list thus far except Blake Griffin but that's acceptable since they got other 9 close to correct.

xxplayerxx23
10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Durant getting hate here? the guy is the best offensive player in the league a hardworker and will only get better., I think he is top 5 Not top 2 but he isnt far off from top 2.

PinnacleFlash
10-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Durant getting hate here? the guy is the best offensive player in the league a hardworker and will only get better., I think he is top 5 Not top 2 but he isnt far off from top 2.

No he isn't. Durant isn't even the best scorer in the league. I don't even think Durant is a top 3 offensive player and I am no Durant hater.

Here are three players that are better offensive players than Durant: Wade, Lebron, and Dirk. Durant is a better scorer than Lebron and maybe even Wade, but not Dirk. Also, Durant is clearly inferior to Lebron and Wade when it comes down to making plays and creating for others.

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 09:02 PM

thats League/Finals MVP territory

requirements that durant hasnt met as yet

id say he isnt far off from top 5

his shot selection still isnt the greatest, and look at that 40 foot 3 he attempted to take against dallas in clutch time.

maybe after this season, he can enter that top 3-5 group

xxplayerxx23
10-26-2011, 09:09 PM
No he isn't. Durant isn't even the best scorer in the league. I don't even think Durant is a top 3 offensive player and I am no Durant hater.

Here are three players that are better offensive players than Durant: Wade, Lebron, and Dirk. Durant is a better scorer than Lebron and maybe even Wade, but not Dirk. Also, Durant is clearly inferior to Lebron and Wade when it comes down to making plays and creating for others.

I didnt call anyone a hater im saying he is getting Hate. He is the best scorer in the league. He has a better shot then all 3 you named. when It comes to fast break yes wade and lebron are 10 times better then him. No doubt about it. There arent many people in the league that can stop KD. Not saying he is top 2 My list has lebron and wade ahead of him But im saying it isnt laughable for him to be up there with those guys the man is 22 and has good work ethic he will be the best player in the league within the next 2 years

PinnacleFlash
10-26-2011, 09:11 PM
I didnt call anyone a hater im saying he is getting Hate. He is the best scorer in the league. He has a better shot then all 3 you named. when It comes to fast break yes wade and lebron are 10 times better then him. No doubt about it. There arent many people in the league that can stop KD. Not saying he is top 2 My list has lebron and wade ahead of him But im saying it isnt laughable for him to be up there with those guys the man is 22 and has good work ethic he will be the best player in the league within the next 2 years

How is anything you just said proves that Durant is a better scorer than Dirk or a better offensive player than either Wade or LBJ? :confused: You must be confused, Durant has a harder time in scoring in a slowed down setting than Wade and Lebron do.

Durant is not a better scorer than Dirk. Check out their WCFs numbers for further information.

xxplayerxx23
10-26-2011, 09:15 PM
How is anything you just said proves that Durant is a better scorer than Dirk or a better offensive player than either Wade or LBJ? :confused: You must be confused, Durant has a harder time in scoring in a slowed down setting than Wade and Lebron do.

Durant is not a better scorer than Dirk. Check out their WCFs numbers for further information.

Durant 28.6 ppg Dirk 23 ppg??

nickdymez
10-26-2011, 10:04 PM

I'll agree with this. Right now wade is the best in the league as far as skilled basketball player in his prime

Ezio
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM

No Melo? yeah efficiency but he can score at will.

heyman321
10-26-2011, 10:07 PM
I hate Wade but I can't believe he isn't in the top 3 lol. And Durant is 5th in the league at best.

nickdymez
10-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I hate Wade but I can't believe he isn't in the top 3 lol. And Durant is 5th in the league at best.

Why?

Cal827
10-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Wayy to High for Kobe as of right now... he's in the lower half of the top 10 IMO, but then again i guess it's expected, this poll also ranked Dwight behind Derek Rose.

juno10
10-26-2011, 10:21 PM
i'd say durant at best is 4th

raiderNlakerfan
10-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Ahhahahaha look at all u haters. Kobe is ranked fairly. Yall must of forgot bout the blck mamba!!

UPRock
10-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Ahhahahaha look at all u haters. Kobe is ranked fairly. Yall must of forgot bout the blck mamba!!

:facepalm: He's old now bro, I'm not saying he's bad, but not a top 2 player.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-26-2011, 10:45 PM

He's a great player but not now.

He got swept bro. Doesn't really rank him high anymore.

showtym24
10-26-2011, 11:01 PM
I could care less who espn, slam, si, etc. ect. thinks is the best player. I just want there to be a season and for the lakers to take back their title.

nickdymez
10-26-2011, 11:29 PM
He's a great player but not now.

He got swept bro. Doesn't really rank him high anymore.

This is funny to me.. "he got swept". But in Lebrons case, "His teams sucked". The lakers were stacked, THEY got swept.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-26-2011, 11:33 PM
This is funny to me.. "he got swept". But in Lebrons case, "His teams sucked". The lakers were stacked, THEY got swept.

Last time Lebron got swept, was in the finals. I didn't think he was the best player in that season anyways.

So I don't know what you're trying to get at.

Next time you quote me, make sure you're actually gonna argue something that's worth my time.

mdm692
10-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Durant will be the #1 player in the world but not now its going to take him a couple years

Baller1
10-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Durant at 2 is too high, but a lot of people had him at 2 after the 2010 season... People live in the moment way too much.

I don't think it'll be long before Durant is an unquestionable top 3 player.

nickdymez
10-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Last time Lebron got swept, was in the finals. I didn't think he was the best player in that season anyways.

So I don't know what you're trying to get at.

Next time you quote me, make sure you're actually gonna argue something that's worth my time.

lol.. Man. Ok, you said "kobe got swept". Not the Lakers got swept. But when Lebrons loses, his team gets the blame. lmfao.. Do you understand that?

nickdymez
10-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Durant at 2 is too high, but a lot of people had him at 2 after the 2010 season... People live in the moment way too much.

What do you think Durant needs to work on? Hes the best player on his team, leads the league in scoring. Where is the flaw in his game?

Raps08-09 Champ
10-26-2011, 11:43 PM
lol.. Man. Ok, you said "kobe got swept". Not the Lakers got swept. But when Lebrons loses, his team gets the blame. lmfao.. Do you understand that?

:laugh2:

Obviously, the rest of the Lakers get their blame too. I just used Kobe in context since this is a Kobe thread, and not a Lakers thread.

Also, Kobe got swept so he can't be the best player. Lebron got swept so he can't be the best player. What's so hard to understand on that?

PinnacleFlash
10-26-2011, 11:44 PM
Durant 28.6 ppg Dirk 23 ppg??
It really isn't that simple. I compare to post-season scoring rather than regular season scoring. In the playoffs, games slow down, defenses tighten up and become much tougher to score against.

One issue that isn't brought up on Durant enough is his inability to receive the ball as easily as a Melo, Dirk, Kobe, etc.. Durant has a tough time getting open when defenders are trying to deny him the ball, which is why I always laugh at the people who think Russell Westbrook is the blame for the Thunder's loss in the WCF this season.

Lets compare Dirk and Durant's WCF scoring numbers, afterall they did meet there......

WCF
Durant vs. Dallas
Game 1 - 40 points with 10-18 shooting
Game 2 - 24 points with 11-23 shooting
Game 3 - 24 points with 7-22 shooting
Game 4 - 29 points with 9-22 shooting
Game 5 - 23 points with 8-20 shooting

Durant's average in the series: 28.0 ppg with .429% FG.

WCF
Dirk vs. OKC
Game 1 - 48 points with 12-15 shooting
Game 2 - 29 points with 10-17 shooting
Game 3 - 18 points with 7-21 shooting
Game 4 - 40 points with 12-20 shooting
Game 5 - 26 points with 8-15 shooting

Dirk's average in the series: 32.2 ppg with .557% FG.

If you can read those stats correctly you would see that Durant exploded in the first game, but the Mavericks eventually figured out how to defend him afterwards. Dirk on the otherhand was just unstoppable in that series. He only struggled in Game 3 which was their only loss in that series, but he dominated every other game.

A lot of this has to do with how much greater of a scoring repertoire that Dirk has over Durant.

Durant cannot score as many variety of ways that Dirk can. This is why having a versatile scoring set is helpful because you will have other moves to fall back on. Durant has nothing to fall back on while Dirk has plenty. That is pretty much why Durant struggled for the rest of the series when the Mavericks defense figured out how to defend him while the Thunder never had an answer for Dirk.

This is why many people suggest that Durant gets a post-game or bulk up, so he can have more scoring moves to fall back and so he can receive the ball easier.

No Melo? yeah efficiency but he can score at will.

Melo currently has arguably the best scoring repertoire next to Kobe Bryant but as you said, his efficiency is kind of an issue. I would easily trust Melo over Durant in the clutch/4th quarter, but I'm not too sure if I would take Melo over Durant in those first three quarters though.

Baller1
10-26-2011, 11:46 PM
What do you think Durant needs to work on? Hes the best player on his team, leads the league in scoring. Where is the flaw in his game?

The very obvious things... Defense, playmaking, and his post game.

From everything I've read, Durant has been doing everything he can to perfect his post game. In an interview, he said something along the lines of "I have a post game, I promise you I do... I just get double teamed every team I go to the block, so now it's my job to overcome that by becoming a better passer out of the double."

I've also seen a video of him legitimately practicing the one-legged Dirk fadeaway. So we'll see... I'm excited to see how it translates.

PinnacleFlash
10-26-2011, 11:51 PM

Who are these people? The top three was Wade, Kobe, and Lebron after the 2010 season just like it was after the 2009 season. The order my have been different in 2010 than in 2009, but it was still the same three.

I remember I gave Durant a lot of crap for playing like garbage in the 2010 playoffs. He simply flamed out. There was no stat including advanced stats that showed that KD played well because he simply didn't.

heyman321
10-26-2011, 11:56 PM
Why?

Let's see... he can't play D, he can't pass, he can't will his way to a win...yet. He is adept at scoring but to say he is better than Wade, Lebron, Dwight Howard, or Dirk for that matter is ridiculous. I'll say he's above Kobe for the sheer fact Kobe is old now.

UPRock
10-27-2011, 01:01 AM

Dude, he's not perfect, and that means that he has flaws. He can play good defense, but he doesn't, he can pass, but he doesn't. He's a good player, but not a top 2, definitely a top 5.

1: LeBron James
2: Dwight Howard
3: Dwayne Wade
4: Chris Paul
5: Kevin Durant

PinnacleFlash
10-27-2011, 01:04 AM
Dude, he's not perfect, and that means that he has flaws. He can play good defense, but he doesn't, he can pass, but he doesn't. He's a good player, but not a top 2, definitely a top 5.

1: LeBron James
2: Dwight Howard
3: Dwayne Wade
4: Chris Paul
5: Kevin Durant
I would really like to someone even attempt to argue Durant being better than Dirk. I am pretty sure Thunder fans wouldn't even bother doing that.

my top 5 overall players

1. Wade/Howard
2. Howard/Wade
3. Lebron/Dirk
4. Dirk/Lebron
5. CP3

my top 5 players for the '10-'11 season
1. Dirk
2. Howard
3. Wade
4. Lebron
5. Rose

Yeah there is a difference between being a better overall player and having a better season. Garnett had the best season in 03-04 but he was never the best player in the league to me.

ChiSox219
10-27-2011, 01:05 AM
1. Dwight
2. Lebron
3. Rose/Durant
5. Wade

dwadefan03
10-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Any list that has Chris Paul ranked as the number 2 point guard behind anyone is wrong

dwadefan03
10-27-2011, 01:19 AM

I agree and have been saying it for the past couple years...im glad other people outside of heat fans say the same

nickdymez
10-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Everyone has an opinion.

dwadefan03
10-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Everyone has an opinion.

Lol i think thats the only way to summarize this thread

naps
10-27-2011, 01:35 AM
Am I the only one who finds it kind of weird that Kobe all of a sudden is a lower top 10 in most people's list within a year from being a top 3 and Howard is #2 in most people's list and #1 in some? I honestly think Kobe is being slightly underrated and Howard is being slightly overrated here. For Kobe anything lower than #6 is a bit harsh in my eyes.

I am not a Kobe fan and I like Howard's game a lot.

UPRock
10-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Am I the only one who finds it kind of weird that Kobe all of a sudden is a lower top 10 in most people's list within a year from being a top 3 and Howard is #2 in most people's list and #1 in some? I honestly think Kobe is being slightly underrated and Howard is being slightly overrated here. For Kobe anything lower than #6 is a bit harsh in my eyes.

I am not a Kobe fan and I like Howard's game a lot.

He's my number 7, next to Rose.

JordansBulls
10-27-2011, 11:41 AM

How has Rose not accomplished anything? He led a team to the best record in the league and won league mvp is that not an accomplishment? I'm not saying he should be over Wade but to say he hasn't accomplishment anything is silly.

3mikee_
10-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Terrible list... how is Wade so low... wow

Shmontaine
10-27-2011, 11:57 AM

so, you got LJ at #6, D12 at #7, and CP3 #8 then???

wade, kobe, dirk, pau, and KG in the top 5???

SaimuKala
10-27-2011, 04:15 PM
1. DH12
2. LBJ
3. D-Wade
4. Kobe/Durant
5. Kobe/Durant
6. CP3/Dirk
7. CP3/Dirk
8. Rose
9. D-Will
10. Melo

Tony_Starks
10-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Im not mad at Kobe at 3. Durant is still way to high too pretty much be strictly a scorer but ehhh he's been making his team better and better so whatever........