PDA

View Full Version : Real Madrid reportedly set to offer Marc Gasol huge contract

daleja424
10-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Real Madrid is studying the possibility to make a rich proposal to Marc Gasol. The Spanish team wants Marc Gasol to be the franchise player for the future.
Florentino Perez, president of the club, gave his approval to the entire operation. The biggest hurdle is the NBA lockout. Marc Gasol said that he will start considering proposals from Europe and Spain just if the NBA season will be completely cancelled.
Sportando

The Spanish hoops powerhouse isn’t interested in signing Marc Gasol (who’s a free agent, by the way) to some short-term deal during the NBA lockout. Nope. Real Madrid wants to lock up the gifted big man for the long haul. From Ball in Europe (via Marca): “While plans to ink the Memphis Grizzly-cum-free agent to play for the Whites until the lockout lifts are not necessarily in the works, Spain-based Marca.com today reports that the Real Madrid front office is interested in making Gasol the team’s franchise player with a massive four- or five-year deal. According to ‘El Real Madrid se lanza a por Marc Gasol’ (or, ‘Real Madrid lunges for Marc Gasol’), ‘[Club president] Florentino Perez has already consented to the signing of the center’ and that “no expense will be spared in attempting to land Gasol.’ The piece goes on to note that Gasol could be paid a maximum of €9.3 million per season, well higher than this season’s top paychecks in Europe.”
SLAM Online

That 9.3 million Euro deal is the equivalent to about 13 million... then consider that the Euro teams pay the contract taxes and this deal is worth the same to him as a 20.5 million dollar per year contract in the NBA. So he would get to live at home and make more than the NBA max would allow him to make...

Bye bye Marc...

Avenged
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
This will be a huge loss for the league.

daleja424
10-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Indeed. One of the few up and coming decent big men in the game...

But I don't blame the guy. He could go back and play in his country for more money than the NBA can even give him...or sit around in Tennessee hoping the NBA lockout ends at some point in the near future.

That is not a very difficult decision IMO.

blahblahyoutoo
10-26-2011, 10:41 AM
hasn't spain been in an economic slump for the past decade?
with 20% unemployment, who can afford to go to the games?

Ezio
10-26-2011, 11:23 AM
He's getting paid. He's most likely gone.

naps
10-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Damn, that sucks for the league. No bigmen here and now a good up and coming center is gone. Good for Marc though. Staying home and getting paid mad money, what else could he ask for?

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 11:36 AM
This will be a huge loss for the league.
you are referring to marc, not pau gasol right?

Shmontaine
10-26-2011, 12:17 PM
i find it surprising that gasol is getting a contract exponentially higher than some of the best talent in the league has been offered internationally...

YoungOne
10-26-2011, 12:23 PM
i find it surprising that gasol is getting a contract exponentially higher than some of the best talent in the league has been offered internationally...

Cause they want to lock him up long term, while the likes of deron williams or kobe have a NBA-out clause.

Hellcrooner
10-26-2011, 12:55 PM
hasn't spain been in an economic slump for the past decade?
with 20% unemployment, who can afford to go to the games?

? i dont know where have you taken that data from.

we have been in a crisis since 2008 basically like the rest of the world but previous to that we were on a huge economic expansion.

iggypop123
10-26-2011, 01:04 PM
he says he wouldnt consider it if the nba is back right? i think that would be tough to pass up but remember marc went to high school in memphis. its not like he was all his life in spain, he might be close to memphis than we think, and memphis could likely match the dollars and the competition of the nba over europe could sway him to stay. problem is with a rich contract could mean bye bye gay.

MrfadeawayJB
10-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Good for Marc. I still don't see him leaving the NBA to stay in europe long term, just in the case of a lockout. Marc is a competitive guy and i'm sure he will try and outdo pau at the NBA level. For those of you saying he will get the huge payday, yes thats true, but does he really need it. I think he wants to leave a legacy behind in the NBA, not Euroleague. Also if he did go over there for the rest of his playing days, Pau could always hold that over him (that marc took the easy way out) when comparing whom of the two is a greater player.

LakersKB24
10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Well, I don't think it's that easy.
Real Madrid vs FC Barcelona is one of the biggest rivalries in all sports (if not THE biggest)!
I don't think a player that grew up playing for one of those teams would switch sides because those guys are very proud and joining the arch enemy is like the worst thing you can do.
Especially people from Catalonia (like Marc) are very proud of their origin and the rivalry between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona goes beyond sports. It's a political/ideological issue.

Tom Stone
10-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Sportando

SLAM Online

That 9.3 million Euro deal is the equivalent to about 13 million... then consider that the Euro teams pay the contract taxes and this deal is worth the same to him as a 20.5 million dollar per year contract in the NBA. So he would get to live at home and make more than the NBA max would allow him to make...

Bye bye Marc...

This sucks:mad:

YoungOne
10-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Well, I don't think it's that easy.
Real Madrid vs FC Barcelona is one of the biggest rivalries in all sports (if not THE biggest)!
I don't think a player that grew up playing for one of those teams would switch sides because those guys are very proud and joining the arch enemy is like the worst thing you can do.
Especially people from Catalonia (like Marc) are very proud of their origin and the rivalry between Real Madrid and FC Barcelona goes beyond sports. It's a political/ideological issue.

well luis figo didnt thought like that..

Avenged
10-26-2011, 02:08 PM
you are referring to marc, not pau gasol right?

Yep, huge loss if he does go abroad.

D1JM
10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
barcelona for real madrid? figo?

VillaMaravilla
10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
man i would jump on that with a lockout or not,,,, i lived in Spain for a couple of years and its gorgeous, to live there and get paid millions its a no brainer

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Yep, huge loss if he does go abroad.

oh ok, and how many rings, allstar appearances, and playoff appearances does this marc gasol have?

he is just about as big a loss as jerome james or theo ratliff retiring.

Avenged
10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
oh ok, and how many rings, allstar appearances, and playoff appearances does this marc gasol have?

yeah.... he just finished his 3rd season.. and considering the team he plays for, 1 playoff appearance as a Memphis Grizzlie is a big accomplishment. Also have to take in mind he played a big part in upsetting the 1st seed Spurs.

LakersKB24
10-26-2011, 02:42 PM
well luis figo didnt thought like that..

Luis Figo didn't play in Barcelona's youth teams and he's not from Catalonia, he's from Portugal.
I was referring to guys who are born and raised in Barcelona/Catalonia and started their career there. A guy like Luis Figo who was transfered to Barcelona later doesn't identify THAT much with a club like FC Barcelona.

naps
10-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Luis Figo didn't play in Barcelona's youth teams and he's not from Catalonia, he's from Portugal.
I was referring to guys who are born and raised in Barcelona/Catalonia and started their career there. A guy like Luis Figo who was transfered to Barcelona later doesn't identify THAT much with a club like FC Barcelona.

C'mon man! I understand he was not part of their own project but Luis Figo was the cornerstone of Barcelona franchise during the time he left for arch rivals. I still remember the way he got booed during his Camp-Nuo returns. It's big time between these two franchises.

LakersKB24
10-26-2011, 03:35 PM
C'mon man! I understand he was not part of their own project but Luis Figo was the cornerstone of Barcelona franchise during the time he left for arch rivals. I still remember the way he got booed during his Camp-Nuo returns. It's big time between these two franchises.

Sure, I'm not denying anything here, you are right, he's still hated for this by Barcelona's fans. Now imagine you grew up in that region and played for Barcelona since you were a kid. Would you want to go down that road?

For Luis Figo it's 'just' a rivalry between two clubs, even though this rivalry represents so much more than just sports.

NYKalltheway
10-26-2011, 04:14 PM
naps, please stop using the term "franchise" when you are talking about these teams, it's creeping me out.

I doubt Marc is going to Real Madrid for the reasons LakersKB24 has stated, but I also think that Real Madrid has made an offer that can be considered by Marc. And if he's "competitive" and wants to "outdo Pau", well I guess he can do it in Spain to, playing for Real Madrid against his brother who'd be playing for Barcelona. But I doubt this move happens, he'd go to Barcelona for much less

Sactown
10-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Money talks!

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 05:03 PM
yeah.... he just finished his 3rd season.. and considering the team he plays for, 1 playoff appearance as a Memphis Grizzlie is a big accomplishment. Also have to take in mind he played a big part in upsetting the 1st seed Spurs.

as i said, hes not a HUGE loss, this isnt exactly a budding superstar or something

Kevj77
10-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Sportando

SLAM Online

Bye bye Marc...That is definately close to a max NBA contract with the exchange rate and taxes paid for by the club. Kobe is supposed to make 25 million this year, but he has to pay the top federal tax bracket (35%) and the top CA state tax bracket (10.5%), Kobe only takes home 14 million and change before endorsements. He probably will have better endorsement opportunities in his home country as well.

J4KOP99
10-26-2011, 05:17 PM
I honestly thought this was the soccer team and they wanted him to be their goalie.

blastmasta26
10-26-2011, 05:50 PM
as i said, hes not a HUGE loss, this isnt exactly a budding superstar or something
First of all, you compared him to Jerome James or Theo Ratliff in terms of impact, which is frankly ridiculous and indicative of ignorance. Second, he may not be a superstar in the making, but he has the potential to be a very productive big, which is always valuable, especially with the dearth of centers in the game today. Also, big men take longer to develop, so asking about playoff appearances, rings, all-stars etc. is somewhat irrelevant.

blahblahyoutoo
10-26-2011, 06:03 PM

we have been in a crisis since 2008 basically like the rest of the world but previous to that we were on a huge economic expansion.

ok, i may have been wrong on the timeline but the 20% unemployment is correct.

1 in 5 people unemployed... that's insane.

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 06:09 PM
First of all, you compared him to Jerome James or Theo Ratliff in terms of impact, which is frankly ridiculous and indicative of ignorance. Second, he may not be a superstar in the making, but he has the potential to be a very productive big, which is always valuable, especially with the dearth of centers in the game today. Also, big men take longer to develop, so asking about playoff appearances, rings, all-stars etc. is somewhat irrelevant.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SEA/2005.html

04-05 sonics

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesje01.html

12 points, 6.8 rebounds in 26 minutes, his team got the 2nd round

theo ratliff

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/ratlith01.html

7 points,almost 6 boards, and 2.4 blocks in 25 mins a game for his career

marc gasol

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolma01.html

12,8, and 1 block per game in 32mins for his career

if you look at all their per 36 stats, u have 0 argument

*shrugs*

so...your point is?

mzgrizz
10-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Well Marc posted today on fb that he was on his way back to the USA. FWIW

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 08:12 PM

seriously? One of the future stars in the centers we have in the NBA. And he may leave because the NBA is too busy fooling around with who gets what at this point.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SEA/2005.html

04-05 sonics

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesje01.html

12 points, 6.8 rebounds in 26 minutes, his team got the 2nd round

theo ratliff

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/ratlith01.html

7 points,almost 6 boards, and 2.4 blocks in 25 mins a game for his career

marc gasol

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gasolma01.html

12,8, and 1 block per game in 32mins for his career

if you look at all their per 36 stats, u have 0 argument

*shrugs*

so...your point is?

you are also leaving out the play at center in today's NBA. Being a 17-10 center with range and defense is absolutely elite nowadays (what I think Gasol will be for the majority of his prime). Sad? Yes. But its a fact.

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 08:26 PM
you are also leaving out the play at center in today's NBA. Being a 17-10 center with range and defense is absolutely elite nowadays (what I think Gasol will be for the majority of his prime). Sad? Yes. But its a fact.

hit me back when he averages 17 and 10 then

last i checked, his name was marc gasol, not brook lopez

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 08:26 PM
seriously? One of the future stars in the centers we have in the NBA. And he may leave because the NBA is too busy fooling around with who gets what at this point.

future stars? or future solid nba centers?

hes as much of a star as anthony randolph is until he starts having star stats

Bruno
10-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Wow. That's huge news if he takes it and leaves the NBA. I wonder what he's gona do?

mser58
10-26-2011, 08:44 PM

Spanish unemployment is greater than 20%

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z8o7pt6rd5uqa6_&met_y=unemployment_rate&idim=country:es&fdim_y=seasonality:sa&dl=en&hl=en&q=spanish+unemployment

in fact, for almost twenty years, Spanish unemployment nearly doubles American unemployment...

I'd say that's a pretty telling statistic of a struggling economy.

Hellcrooner
10-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Spanish unemployment is greater than 20%

http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=z8o7pt6rd5uqa6_&met_y=unemployment_rate&idim=country:es&fdim_y=seasonality:sa&dl=en&hl=en&q=spanish+unemployment

in fact, for almost twenty years, Spanish unemployment nearly doubles American unemployment...

I'd say that's a pretty telling statistic of a struggling economy.

the poster said we had been on a crisis for a decade.

If you watch that bar you will see that from 2000-2008 unemployemente was around 10%, it went ballistic since 2008 with the WORLD crisis.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 09:07 PM
hit me back when he averages 17 and 10 then

last i checked, his name was marc gasol, not brook lopez

I would take Marc Gasol over Brook going forward. Lopez has nothing around to take up his attempts.

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 09:08 PM
future stars? or future solid nba centers?

hes as much of a star as anthony randolph is until he starts having star stats

Marc appears to have the potential to be a top 5 center in the NBA. If you don't see it, that is your opinion.

Hellcrooner
10-26-2011, 09:24 PM
what shouldnt be missed is with the old cBA memphis would not be able to offer him more than real madrid.

WITH WHAT OWNERS are trying to do, MArc is exaclty the kind of player that would see his money hurt, and be offered jsut 4 or 5 million dollars a yer, wich its 1/4 of what is being offered.

If owners have their way, expect that in 2 or 3 years the Nba is comprised of SUPERSTARS + NBDL quality players, because the rest of STARTERS, or GOOD ROLE PLAYERS could very well accept MORE money to play in europe.

Bruno
10-26-2011, 09:34 PM
^ Interesting.

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Marc appears to have the potential to be a top 5 center in the NBA. If you don't see it, that is your opinion.

im not saying no, im just saying lemme kno when it happens

Hellcrooner
10-26-2011, 09:47 PM

you missed the playoffs didnt you?
Or the previous season.

Cal827
10-26-2011, 09:49 PM
He's probably gone.... also I'm surprised nobody has really mentioned how screwed Memphis will be when he goes. Zach Randolph isn't exactly a defensive stopper. They would have a huge hole on the inside (blocks will go away) and they'll end up bullied by some of the teams that they would be expected to beat on their rise that contain centers (E.g. Bynum)

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Or the previous season.

i guess by ur book, if a player has a good performance over a period of games, that they are a star huh?

hit me up when he does it for longer than a streak of 13 games, then come tell me about a star blood

Hawkeye15
10-26-2011, 10:08 PM

fair enough. The NBA loses a potential strong center in an age of poor centers. Obviously the centers today are as weak as ever, I was simply alluding to Marc being one of the better shortly.

RekeHavoc
10-26-2011, 10:32 PM
fair enough. The NBA loses a potential strong center in an age of poor centers. Obviously the centers today are as weak as ever, I was simply alluding to Marc being one of the better shortly.

i have no problem with that

im just saying, imo, hes not a huge loss now, he hasnt done anything of significance, i showed stats of theo ratliff and jerome james, JEROME JAMES and showed that their playoff stats are relatively simular in terms of per 36

in a year or 2 can we revisit this conversation? sure. right now is he a star and a huge loss? not so much

mser58
10-27-2011, 12:18 PM
the poster said we had been on a crisis for a decade.

If you watch that bar you will see that from 2000-2008 unemployemente was around 10%, it went ballistic since 2008 with the WORLD crisis.

very true, their numbers have a strong correlation with the rest of the world, though 10% is hardly desirable.

RekeHavoc
10-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Or the previous season.

are you referring to the 14 and 9 or the 15 and 11?

lemme kno when he plays against a real center thats not 35, or one thats not 6'9 tho, thanks :rolleyes: