PDA

View Full Version : Bob Myers Q&A

MackShock
10-26-2011, 04:01 AM
Warriors assistant general manager Bob Myers is like most others in the team’s front office -- awaiting the start of the 2011-12 season. It’s been more than six months since Myers gave up being an agent and took a job in Golden State’s front office.

I had a chance to catch up with Myers to find out how he’s doing in his job and what will happen once the lockout ends.

Question: What have you been doing?

Myers: I get asked that a lot. For us, with all the changes in the organization we’ve had to do quite a bit -- all new coaching staff, new trainer, new strength coach, just hired security for the team. I’m working with our president Rick Welts, hiring a general counsel.

We’re running out of people to hire. After that, it’s getting ready for when we can go back to work.

Question: Will this be challenging because when you head into free agency and training camp it’s likely to be compressed because of the lockout?

Myers: I think this will be different for everybody. Everything is going to get squeezed. Preparation will be key. Approaching it from the other side for me will be different. First time doing it.

It’s still the same game, so to speak, for lack of a better word. I’ll see it from a different angle. I feel like I’m more of a buyer than a seller now. But you’ve still got to make the best decision and inevitably you’re still negotiating.

Relationships will be key. Information … it’s always important to have the best information. But it will be different for me the first time around.

Question: You’re going to have a young team … Have you talked in general what your strategy will be once the lockout ends?

Myers: We’ve had a lot of time to go over what the steps will be once this is resolved. There are three ways to improve your team: Draft, free agency and trades.

Well, the draft has come and gone. You hope you’ve made the right decisions there and we think we did.

Then there’s trades that you explore. A lot of things have been put on hiatus. And there’s free agency. You explore all of them. The interesting thing now because the period will be shortened, the question is ‘how do you accomplish a lot of the things in a short amount of time?’ You’re going to have a of balls in the air and a lot of different variables to deal with. Some of the decisions you make will have a domino effect.

Once certain players have signed, take them off your wanted list. You’re constantly going through the process, processing information and seeing how it helps your team. The more efficient and the more diligent you can be in that process the better you’ll come out of it.

I don’t think you want to make rash decisions. In sports, there is always emotion when it comes to making a decision. So you have to be careful to make the right decision without letting emotion or short-term thinking play into it at all.

Question: You guys have reshaped the entire front office. How is that going? Is that all done?

Myers: I don’t think there’s anything left. That’s one of the things we’ve been working hard on. It’s all new people, which is great, but everybody has to get acclimated with one another. That’s what we’re doing.

If it was a whole new group in your office, even though they’re all accomplished and experienced, you’d still have to get to know them.

So that’s happening with the coaching staff. We’re all going to know each other. We’re all going to know the trainers, strength coaches. They’re going to know us. That’s good for our organization specifically.

I get asked, 'What’s going on?' Our organization has made so many changes so this period has allowed us to get to know each other without the pressure of time.

Question: You’ve got owner Joe Lacob, who is very involved. You’ve got Jerry West, you’ve got you, Larry Riley. Mark Jackson is someone who also has said he’s going to want to know what’s going on. Is there a danger of too many voices?

Myers: This is what I believe. If you have people willing to leave their ego at the door and recognize they’re not going to have the best information or have the right answer all the time -- and be OK with that, and say this time somebody else might have had a better way to go about it -- then it will be fine.

I’ve known Larry a long time. I’ve known Mark a long time. I’ve known Mark and Jerry 10-plus years. That gives you the ability to have the hard conversations when you’ve known somebody a long time.

Certainly it’s Joe’s team. If there is a situation where someone needs to step in and make the final decision it will be Joe. Everybody knows that and nobody has an issue with that. The only time we’ve gone through it -- and I can tell you as an example-- was the draft.

Not everybody lined up perfectly at the beginning. But when it came down to decide we were all on the same page. Will there be days when one person doesn’t think if it was their decision they’d make the same one we’re all making? Of course. That’s OK. The mistake people make is allowing one person to make a decision without input.

Jerry, who’s been doing it so long … it would be irresponsible not to listen to his experience. So, it makes sense to get a good group together.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/warriors-talk/post/QA----Warriors-assistant-GM-Bob-Myers?blockID=582070&feedID=2799

MackShock
10-26-2011, 04:07 AM
kind of a good read...every one is brand new in the front office except riley

Monta is beast
10-26-2011, 04:25 AM
The lockout is really killing the Warriors thread.

robbnen#31
10-26-2011, 04:27 AM
Thanks for posting this, I really needed something interesting to read during a break on a take home midterm.

MackShock
10-26-2011, 05:15 AM
your welcome...

nobody posts anything besides asandhu, and hes banned..

so i appreciate the thanks, because i dont see anybody else coming up with anything to talk about

likemystylez
10-26-2011, 09:35 AM
interesting how bob myers brought up the draft as a time when lacob had to come in and make a final decision. I'm not sure if thats a typical thing for a front office guy to say to the media.... which is why I liked it.

I wonder if it was myers himself who had his toes stepped on, and if he had a different idea of who the team should draft.

robbnen#31
10-26-2011, 03:56 PM
your welcome...

nobody posts anything besides asandhu, and hes banned..

so i appreciate the thanks, because i dont see anybody else coming up with anything to talk about

haha permabanned or just temporarily?

Monta is beast
10-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I think it's a permabanned.

TrueFan420
10-26-2011, 07:26 PM
what did he do?

TrueFan420
10-26-2011, 07:28 PM
interesting how bob myers brought up the draft as a time when lacob had to come in and make a final decision. I'm not sure if thats a typical thing for a front office guy to say to the media.... which is why I liked it.

I wonder if it was myers himself who had his toes stepped on, and if he had a different idea of who the team should draft.

that would be interesting to find out but if you think its not typical thing for a front office guy to bring up the part about the draft I can assure you its even less of a thing for them to point out that they think their right and that their boss is wrong.

MackShock
10-26-2011, 11:37 PM
haha permabanned or just temporarily?

I think it's a permabanned.

what did he do?

trolling in NBA forum i think...

not perma..just 2 months