PDA

View Full Version : NBA Labor Talks To Resume Wednesday

Punk
10-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Day 117: NBA lockout talks to resume
Six days after talks broke off in a nasty public dispute, NBA owners and players will return to the bargaining table Wednesday, the Daily News has learned. The two sides are scheduled to meet in a midtown Manhattan hotel, according to league sources. When they broke off talks last Thursday, the two sides were miles apart on a new deal.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... z1br1pcR8R

This should be redundant.

itsripcity32
10-26-2011, 01:55 AM
no need for a thread. we all know the outcome.

Giants-49ers-Ws
10-26-2011, 01:56 AM
don't see either side budging

THE MTL
10-26-2011, 02:35 AM
This is so ********. These people need to be at the tablet every freaking day! It's been a week of what? NOTHING!

Get to the talking, and keep to the talking. 100s of millions of dollars are being lost and not just thru the NBA. This lockout affects so many outside ppl as well.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-26-2011, 09:32 AM
PR move 4 the owners. They are not gonna budge.

LongIslandIcedZ
10-26-2011, 09:51 AM
This may be a silly question, but at any point in this lockout can it all go to trial, where the judge will make the decision based on the best interest of the league?

daleja424
10-26-2011, 09:55 AM
This may be a silly question, but at any point in this lockout can it all go to trial, where the judge will make the decision based on the best interest of the league?

NBPA would have to decert first... which isn't an option tight now b/c of the pending matter before the NLRB (related note: I believe the NLRB also has the power to end lockout... but it seems unlikely)

Ezio
10-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Nothing is going to happen. I actually think the meeting will only push the 2 groups apart.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-26-2011, 10:07 AM
NBPA would have to decert first... which isn't an option tight now b/c of the pending matter before the NLRB (related note: I believe the NLRB also has the power to end lockout... but it seems unlikely)

They do and I think that's the only hope unless the players cave. I hope they don't . The next agreement will prob be even worse than this 1..

likemystylez
10-26-2011, 10:09 AM
don't see either side budging

to be fair- the players never said they were opposed to the 50-50 split last week. They just said they couldnt agree to the split until they saw what the system was going to look like....Forgive them if they are hesitant to take Dan Gilbert's word on how fairly the system would be handled.

Adam Silver was stating that the two issues are completely independant of one another.... which simply isnt true for anybody who has sat and thought about it for 5 seconds.

basically the owners want to run the table on both issues, and the only way to do that is get one agreed too before attacking the other one.... or we will repeatedly find ourselves in the same situation as last thursday.

Is it possible that some of the owners could start to make more noise about throwing away the season when they have already gotten the majority of their ("claimed losses" and probably more than their actual losses) back from the players inside of the first year?

Is it possible that if the NLRB somehow rules in the players favor.... the owners could throw away all the leverage.

and countering that- if the players think they have a good chance at the nlrb ruling in their favor... would they literally just turn down ANY offer?

MY little dream is this though- David Stern will want to look like the knight in shining armor. He was out of negotiations the day they fell apart and things really got downright nasty last week.

This sterns last labor negotiation and wouldnt it be a great story to see him coming back from the flu and saving the christmas basketball games for the league along with an 82 game schedule. The opportunity to look like an absolute saint infront of the whole country and go out being a hero in your profession doesnt come along every day does it?... hmm maybe I should write stern a letter and share my game plan for him. :win:

likemystylez
10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Nothing is going to happen. I actually think the meeting will only push the 2 groups apart.

LOL- well they couldnt get much further apart. So is your solution to just refuse to meet forever?

DoMeFavors
10-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Nobody is optimistic anymore maybe this is the time where nobody expects a deal and we get one?
:mad:

Ill21
10-26-2011, 10:24 AM
no point of the meeting. No one will budge

daleja424
10-26-2011, 10:29 AM
I agree. No point to this meeting. Nothing has changed since the last time they met... and I cant imagine either side is in the mood for giving up anything just for the heck of it.

Cal827
10-26-2011, 10:51 AM
It'll be funny if some stadiums start trying to sue these guys for costing them potential money for other events.... but yeah nothing is gonna happen today, unless someone is actually willing to negotiate.

nystandup
10-26-2011, 10:52 AM
owners met about revenue sharing recently so maybe they will come to an agreement on that issue. step by step

likemystylez
10-26-2011, 10:52 AM
I agree. No point to this meeting. Nothing has changed since the last time they met... and I cant imagine either side is in the mood for giving up anything just for the heck of it.

well...unless some players are starting to talk, large market owners are starting to talk. or there is a threat of the labor ruling becoming an issue.

You're probably right, and I dont have the energy to keep getting my hopes up all season.

likemystylez
10-26-2011, 10:55 AM
owners met about revenue sharing recently so maybe they will come to an agreement on that issue. step by step

yeah.... could help the bri... dont know how crazy the system can get though. a month ago, I didnt think there was a chance the two sides would throw away the season over bird rights or rookie contracts. Now- I wouldnt put it past them to throw away the season debating whether to have 7 up or sprite served at the games.

C-Style
10-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Screw em all. Thats how i feel about this. They better get something going before Dec. Or im giving up on this greedy league. They should learned something from us fans. We lose money to see them play, i spent $500 to go see a playoff game and the seats wearnt that close to the court. We do it for the love of the game. These *******s are not gonna go hungry, they make millions to do something they love.

Knick_Fever
10-26-2011, 11:13 AM
Chris Sherridan - A source close to the talks tells SheridanHoops.com that the owners have dropped their insistance that players agree to a 50/50 split of revenues.

That precondition is what brought about last Thursday’s contentious breakup after the sides had met for more than 30 hours over three days.

Pretty big news

Ezio
10-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Chris Sherridan - A source close to the talks tells SheridanHoops.com that the owners have dropped their insistance that players agree to a 50/50 split of revenues.

That precondition is what brought about last Thursday’s contentious breakup after the sides had met for more than 30 hours over three days.

Pretty big news

It is big news but now the players will push for more percentage and the owners will be like y'all *****es be crazy.

likemystylez
10-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Pretty big news

this is kind of obvious otherwise the owners wouldnt even agree to meet again.

Knick_Fever
10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Stephen A. Smith just called NBA star tour a 'joke'. He makes a good point by questioning why they are on tour when they are supposedly 'standing united' and hell-bent on getting a deal done, while the rest of the league is waiting to get payed.

Shmontaine
10-26-2011, 12:08 PM

yeah.. the players would have to de-certify as a union and take the league to court as individuals... a de-certification of the union would void all contracts the players have signed, so i'm not sure they'd be willing to risk the money that's owed to them, but they aren't getting in now anyway, so maybe they would... if they did, the players would surely win, but it would probably be drawn out and the owners could reorganize the structure of the league much more than they are trying to do currently, and the contracts may be half as much as they are offering now...