PDA

View Full Version : Lackey out for year

sox04rR
10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Tommy John. I'm going to be unclassy and say it. Thankkkkkkkkkk goddess babyyyy

2009mvp
10-25-2011, 04:46 PM
His deal with Boston included a vesting option at the major league minimum (currently $414,000) for a sixth season if he required season-ending surgery on a pre-existing elbow condition. ‬Such an operation‪ would trigger the option, thus making the contract a six-year, $83 million deal — thus meaning that, for luxury tax purposes, his contract is valued at roughly $13.8 million rather than $16.5 million, something that could mean millions of dollars in luxury tax relief to the Sox. ‬
http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2011/10/25/red-sox-awaiting-resolution-after-john-lackey-visits-dr-lewis-yocum/

Point Red Sox. As much as it pains me to do so, gotta give them credit for gaming the system this way.

PhillyFaninLA
10-25-2011, 04:59 PM

Wow I cannot believe this.

Unclassy would be the single most polite classification for this. I hope for your sake karma is not real.

rkelly7
10-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Can't blame the Sox for trying to avoid the luxury tax, but to be honest with you, I bet the money relief didn't have much to do with the decision. You could have thrown a pitching machine throwing 90 mph out there and it would have had a lower ERA that Lackey. :laugh:

Sick Of It All
10-25-2011, 05:02 PM
He had to be hurt this year because he was just so damn horrible.

dbroncos78087
10-25-2011, 05:03 PM
I guess its a good thing their season is over then?

Dont report me for baiting, i am a Sox fan.

Melo15
10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
He had to be hurt this year because he was just so damn horrible.

They mentioned that Lackey has pushed it off for a little bit. Peter Gammons stated earlier in the year (around June/July I believe) that he needed TJ surgery but it was later denied. Sounds like they've known about this for quite some time.

bomber0104
****... that means the Red Sox might actually replace him with a real pitcher

adab

It looks like the lack of class in the BoSox organizations now extends to their fans. No surprise really.

Good luck getting players to sign.

Melo15
I guess its a good thing their season is over then?

Dont report me for baiting, i am a Sox fan.

Reported for baiting.

long ball
10-25-2011, 05:08 PM
I was actually hoping the Brewers would sign him 2 years ago. Luckily they signed Randy Wolf to a cheaper/shorter deal.

I don't think anyone predicted he would completely fall off a cliff like this though.

Lil Rhody
10-25-2011, 05:15 PM
It looks like the lack of class in the BoSox organizations now extends to their fans. No surprise really.

Good luck getting players to sign.

First off dont let one fan spoil the rest and second off you know how they run that organization.......... didnt know you were inside the system

Jeffy25
10-25-2011, 05:37 PM
This isn't the worst thing in the world for Boston, it lowers his salary doesn't it?

Jeffy25
10-25-2011, 05:38 PM
They mentioned that Lackey has pushed it off for a little bit. Peter Gammons stated earlier in the year (around June/July I believe) that he needed TJ surgery but it was later denied. Sounds like they've known about this for quite some time.

Maybe he tried to pitch through it.

Either way, it's going to be a new year in Boston in 2012

S.P.
10-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Is that his XBox elbow or his beer drinking elbow?

Ares
10-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

"Ace"ves
10-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Great... now the Red Sox are gonna have a chance to win next year :(

Lackey was one of the few reasons I had hope to win the division again next year, now all hopes are gone.

ne3xchamps
10-25-2011, 06:36 PM
this sucks. :(

Now the sox can't try to find someone to trade for his big headed, horse faced, overweight under performing ***! :mad:

sexicano31
10-25-2011, 06:46 PM

Unclassy would be the single most polite classification for this. I hope for your sake karma is not real.

Well no one knows since Karma doesnt happen until you're dead

dodgersuck
10-25-2011, 08:55 PM
It's not really bad karma to not feel bad for Lackey, he is a huge douche.

AI
10-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Well atleast his AAV goes down, makes it easier to trade him next year :shrug:

iam brett favre
10-26-2011, 12:13 AM

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

:laugh2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pevBtMDygVQ

I was the one that texted him :hide:

mttwlsn16
10-26-2011, 12:33 AM
this is a win for the sox

Tragedy
10-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Great... now the Red Sox are gonna have a chance to win next year :(

Lackey was one of the few reasons I had hope to win the division again next year, now all hopes are gone.
Basically, it was always Lackey vs. Burnett between Sox and Yanks. With Lackey down, no doubt the Sox take an advantage.

I don't wish injury on the guy, but I've got to say, I'm happy he's not going to pitch. He is MISERABLE to watch (even worse than watching Wakefield).

JobaRules26
10-26-2011, 05:20 AM

:laugh:

JobaRules26
10-26-2011, 05:22 AM
So because Lackey is done for next season, the Sox are instant favorites to win the division? Am I missing something? I didnt know one player could take down an entire organization in a month. Way to go Lackey!

"Ace"ves
10-26-2011, 08:16 AM
So because Lackey is done for next season, the Sox are instant favorites to win the division? Am I missing something? I didnt know one player could take down an entire organization in a month. Way to go Lackey!

im exaggerating... way to go

StayOnBoard
10-26-2011, 08:19 AM
The guy has surgery and fans are cheering...

Only in Boston ----- and yes, I'm well aware of the year he just had - but to say your glad he's going under the knife... ya.... stay classy.

redsox0717
10-26-2011, 08:44 AM

Only in Boston ----- and yes, I'm well aware of the year he just had - but to say your glad he's going under the knife... ya.... stay classy.

"stay classy" from a guy that spends half his posts attacking the red sox and their fans because of jealousy....priceless.

Pinstripe pride
10-26-2011, 08:47 AM
and everyone was worried about the sox after their playoff collapse. they are getting better already. they will very likely replace lackey with a .....you know.......actual pitcher.............

bagwell368
10-26-2011, 08:53 AM
and everyone was worried about the sox after their playoff collapse. they are getting better already. they will very likely replace lackey with a .....you know.......actual pitcher.............

Yeah, isn't Burnett available?

bagwell368
10-26-2011, 08:55 AM
It's not really bad karma to not feel bad for Lackey, he is a huge douche.

x2

The guy gets sympathy the first 2/3 of the year because his wife has cancer. Then the DB serves her with papers in late summer.

BTW, karma does not happen just after you are dead, it's happening all the time, and anyone that disputes that just got a boat load of bad karma :laugh2:

bagwell368
10-26-2011, 08:57 AM
He is MISERABLE to watch (even worse than watching Wakefield).

Worse then Dice-K?

redsox0717
10-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Worse then Dice-K?

At least Dice K has the capacity to get batters out

bagwell368
10-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Sorry to offend your tender sensibilities, but in Boston, New York, and Philly long time fans treat the home team and the players and events connected to it as a matter of life and death. If that's too rough for you, move on, your commentary will change nothing.

bagwell368
10-26-2011, 09:06 AM
At least Dice K has the capacity to get batters out

really?

IP ERA+ - since 2009:

DiceK: rWAR 2009-2011: 1.3

059 82
154 93
037 81

Lackey: rWAR 2009-2011: 3.5

176 115
215 099
160 066

Not so hot for Dice, worth 37% of Lackey overall, with 45% of the innings. You have to go to Dice's outlier year in 2008 to pull him up, and that was nearly ancient history. Back to the point, he's more painful to watch then Lackey.

jtchilln
10-26-2011, 09:07 AM

Are you really going to cut this guy a break? He files for divorce while his wife is going through treatment for cancer?

StayOnBoard
10-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Sorry to offend your tender sensibilities, but in Boston, New York, and Philly long time fans treat the home team and the players and events connected to it as a matter of life and death. If that's too rough for you, move on, your commentary will change nothing.

Defend it however you want... but as much as I really don't like say... Vernon Wells when he was with Toronto (he was also horrible - if you remember clearly) I would NEVER cheer for him having to go through a season ending surgery like that.

But hey - whatever makes you feel better.

StayOnBoard
10-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Are you really going to cut this guy a break? He files for divorce while his wife is going through treatment for cancer?

I'm not saying he's not a dick - I just think it's crazy to cheer when a player on YOUR team has to get TJ surgery.

We also don't have any idea what really is going on with Lackey and his wife - which is besides the point to be honest.

If this was say... Josh Beckett - who's also a douche bag, would you all be cheering then? I say probably not....

jtchilln
10-26-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm not saying he's not a dick - I just think it's crazy to cheer when a player on YOUR team has to get TJ surgery.

We also don't have any idea what really is going on with Lackey and his wife - which is besides the point to be honest.

If this was say... Josh Beckett - who's also a douche bag, would you all be cheering then? I say probably not....

Haters Gonna Hate!!!

bagwell368
10-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Defend it however you want... but as much as I really don't like say... Vernon Wells when he was with Toronto (he was also horrible - if you remember clearly) I would NEVER cheer for him having to go through a season ending surgery like that.

I'm not defending anything, just bringing enlightenment to the thread. We are not talking some politically correct gentle audience they get in LAD or TOR.

You cheer your way, and I'll cheer mine. I'm just glad that the Sox will have more room to make moves for 2012. I didn't specifically want that particular event, but it is what it is.

I feel just fine sonny, thanks for being concerned.

miller74
10-26-2011, 09:17 AM

Who cares not like John Lackey has any class himself, too bad this helps Boston more than anything

oak2455
10-26-2011, 09:19 AM
I actually feel bad for the guy ....all the stuff he's been through...but maybe this is a blessing for him and his family....

bagwell368
10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
I just think it's crazy to cheer when a player on YOUR team has to get TJ surgery.

Didn't you already make that point? What, you expect Red Sox PSD fans to reform for you? Don't hold your breath.

We also don't have any idea what really is going on with Lackey and his wife

He served her because of a clause in the pre nup is what I understand, she gets less of a piece of him now in the settlement. I guess the scars and loss of hair were a turn off (she was a very attractive women) BTW.

It's conjecture now, is it? Is this what you do with your time? Go look for places to poke other teams fans? I never seem to see you except when you are trying to criticize or inveigle the PSD Red Sox faithful. Interesting.

StayOnBoard
10-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Didn't you already make that point? What, you expect Red Sox PSD fans to reform for you? Don't hold your breath.

He served her because of a clause in the pre nup is what I understand, she gets less of a piece of him now in the settlement. I guess the scars and loss of hair were a turn off (she was a very attractive women) BTW.

It's conjecture now, is it? Is this what you do with your time? Go look for places to poke the teams and the fans? I never seem to see you except when you are trying to criticize or inveigle the PSD Red Sox faithful. Interesting.

ok Bags, your right... **** Lackey... **** his surgery - I hope he dies and rots in hell.

That more suiting to you? Since you seem VERY upset about one comment I made wayyy back?

I never thought I'd see Red Sox fans this touchy... furthermore - other people have said similar things but no one said a ****ing word. But because I said it - there's going to be another 19 pages on how I'm a "Sox hater" because I don't think it's right to cheer for a guy having surgery. Sorry that offends you.

If the Nationals fans were cheering because Jayson Werth had to have season ending surgery, you can bet your *** I'd be giving them a hard time as well.

I'm done with this - before it turns into a flame war that really wasn't necessary.

Corey
10-26-2011, 09:25 AM

What does that have to do with anything? Don't act like you know what's going on in his personal life.

bagwell368
10-26-2011, 09:25 AM
ok Bags, your right... **** Lackey... **** his surgery - I hope he dies and rots in hell.

You have it wrong. I don't need you to change your way of looking at it, I just think you have made your point, now get rid of the soap box, and move on. I know I will.

StayOnBoard
10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
You have it wrong. I don't need you to change your way of looking at it, I just think you have made your point, now get rid of the soap box, and move on. I know I will.

Agreed - and same.

jtchilln
10-26-2011, 09:30 AM
What does that have to do with anything? Don't act like you know what's going on in his personal life.

It's Karma!!! I personally love it!!!

StryderSox
10-26-2011, 01:34 PM

Vernon Wells just couldnt live up to his expectations.....

John Lackey 1. Absolutely sucked, 2. Was a major contribution in tearing our clubhouse apart and 3. Ditched his terminally ill wife

If you have a reason to feel any sympathy for this fine specimen of a human being than please share.

theslick1
10-26-2011, 03:00 PM
How can anyone say this guy sucks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohrEZzHx0K8

mttwlsn16
10-26-2011, 05:05 PM

its not like hes dying. just something to fix an injury

S.P.
10-26-2011, 05:51 PM

He was in it for the looks, she must have been in it for the dough, because Lackey's about as handsome as a burn victim.

Boston-Born
10-26-2011, 07:30 PM
He was in it for the looks, she must have been in it for the dough, because Lackey's about as handsome as a burn victim.

ZOMG ZOMG kant b-leave yud say sumtin dat insensitave. Stay klassy Angelz fanz!!!!!

;)

GrumpyOldMan
10-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Lackey's injury and pending surgery aside, with the savings in salary do the BoSox go out and sign a FA to replace him or do they have someone internally? I ask because my team (Jays) could use a starter or 2 and really would have a hard time competing financially for a top FA with teams like Boston.

Jeffy25
10-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Lackey's injury and pending surgery aside, with the savings in salary do the BoSox go out and sign a FA to replace him or do they have someone internally? I ask because my team (Jays) could use a starter or 2 and really would have a hard time competing financially for a top FA with teams like Boston.

They have options internally, and I believe Cherrington from his press conference where the focus will be on building from Double A on down at first to keep the club strong long term. He appears to think free agency has burned the Red Sox.

Maybe a one year, injury prone starter to try to add depth.

bagwell368
10-27-2011, 06:20 AM

The contract has an option year for the league min that if he loses a year due to pre-existing arm injuries (it is) it kicks in - see Cot's for details. This lowers the AAV which helps with the cap.

As far as insurance just about every significant contract has it, but its rarely for 100% value. I believe it's usually in the 65-85% range - but in this case, I don't.

Plus after the clubhouse crap, his hideous year on the mound, and his divorce (which if you are predisposed against the guy) looks like he's a basthahd. So having him rehabbing someplace off stage helps him in Boston, may help him get his focus together, and might make it easier to deal him (AAV + he proves in ST/early season '13 he's as good or better then new.

Nothing I am afraid will change the fact that he's a mouth breather, a very homely man, and has one of the dorkier unfeigned voices by an adult male in the past 173 years.

bagwell368
10-27-2011, 06:29 AM

Sox have 3 clear starters.

The internal candidates would be: Aceves, Bard, Doubront as the most likely, and guys like Weiland, Wilson, Tazawa below that. ST should make it clear who is in the mix. The MR FA's are quite strong this year, so I look for one of the first two to make it into the rotation. Then the Sox will sign at least 2 strong MR's to make up for it.

The SP FA's are thin on top, CC if he clauses out, CJ, Darvish.... expensive and perilous waters that Sox will not swim in this year IMO.

There are a few decent #4 types - like Chen. Those would be of more interest, and I'm pretty sure we get one of those.

I think we may also go for a retread type of guy - or gasp Wakefield. If it's Wake, I'd do it for a minor league deal only so he's only called up as a SP DL emergency replacement and not used as a MR and take up a spot that a better pitcher should have.

Pinstripe pride
10-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah, isn't Burnett available?

he's all yours if you want him.....................................

this settles the age out debate of who pitching staff is worse. red sox take the clear advantage with no one to equalize burnetts awfulness