PDA

View Full Version : Breaking news: Stern to cancel 2 more weeks

nyfinest4life
10-24-2011, 09:26 PM
From NYDailyNews.com (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2011/10/24/2011-10-24_nba_lockout_continues_league_will_cancel_at_lea st_two_more_weeks_source_says_ann.html?r=sports)

The NBA will be cancelling at least two more weeks of its season, according to a person familiar with the league's plans.

The source told the Daily News that the announcement will be made by the league on Tuesday.

With talks broken off between the owners and players, and the two sides far apart on major "system" issues, the cancellations are expected to total at least 102 more games, through Nov. 28. No further talks are in the works.

i just saw on the bottom of espn that the nba is gonna cancel 2 more weeks of the regular season. arhghhhhhhhhhhhh

gbpackers12
10-24-2011, 09:29 PM
:pity: Whatever NBA.

likemystylez
10-24-2011, 09:32 PM
i just saw on the bottom of espn that the nba is gonna cancel 2 more weeks of the regular season. arhghhhhhhhhhhhh

did you happen to notice if they said when this announcement was going to be made??

thenetslegend
10-24-2011, 09:32 PM
cancelling just 2 weeks at a time is annoying, cancel more or none

nate2usmc
10-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Glad footballs in full swing but man do I hate the player union and the dumb A## small market owners who constantly let their wack GM's make bad decisions SMFH

Htownballa1622
10-24-2011, 09:36 PM
did you happen to notice if they said when this announcement was going to be made??

Tomorrow. 102 more games through november 28.

Twista
10-24-2011, 09:38 PM
yayayaya, just cancel the whole season and be done with it.

LOL at people who think there's going to be a season. Stop hoping. Your hope is pathetic and futile, and your tears taste delicious.

Cal827
10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
yayayaya, just cancel the whole season and be done with it.

LOL at people who think there's going to be a season. Stop hoping. Your hope is pathetic and futile, and your tears taste delicious.

Your are going to last a long time here, welcome to PSD :D

I do agree with you. The Mark Cuban idea is proof that the owners aren't even close to being on the same page.... We'll see months of them fighting.

Ezio
10-24-2011, 09:41 PM
KG is that you?

Yeah the season is lost. Players don't want to be robbed at gun point basically.

beasted86
10-24-2011, 09:44 PM
cancelling just 2 weeks at a time is annoying, cancel more or none

:no:

beliges
10-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Players need to stop being such spoiled little *****es, agree to a 50/50 split of the revenue because you already get paid your worth through your contract and lets have a damn season. Greedy little *****es.

naps
10-24-2011, 10:04 PM
**** them all! Bunch of greedy bastards are playing with our expectations.

iggypop123
10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Players need to stop being such spoiled little *****es, agree to a 50/50 split of the revenue because you already get paid your worth through your contract and lets have a damn season. Greedy little *****es.

5050 is the least of the problems. they cant even get a system goin. the owners want a hard cap that penalizes people 4x for going over and the owners dont want 5050 they want 47. at the end of the day billionares have more money than millionares, the owners can just swim in their money while they wait, the players have to get part time jobs to get by since they are stupid at managing their money

utl768
10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
mine as well just got for the jugular and cancel it all since there is zero chance of a season

owners arent on the same page and neither are the players yet we expect them to unite and make an agreement

not happening

likemystylez
10-24-2011, 10:19 PM

I find this point of view to be interestng, and a lot of people seem to have it.

I dont know how you could make the argument that the players are being greedy seeing as they have done nothing but give up what they already had?... I understand they make a lot of money, but nothing this lockout has uncovered would make me believe the players are being the greedy ones.

ink
10-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm fine with it. As long as it takes. The reason I'm so clear on this is because of the benefit to the NHL that a long lockout had. It completely changed and rejuvenated the league, and radically improved the level of play.

Dade County
10-24-2011, 10:26 PM
I blame this entire lock out situation on the Mavericks & the Lakers ...

Small market teams can't afford to go that high into the luxury tax.

Other NBA players should follow the model of the Big 3 down in south beach,... take less money to help your team out.

Don't worry, I'll face palm myself:facepalm:

This nonsense is going to go on, until the courts handle it.

likemystylez
10-24-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm fine with it. As long as it takes. The reason I'm so clear on this is because of the benefit to the NHL that a long lockout had. It completely changed and rejuvenated the league, and radically improved the level of play.

LOL @ thinking there was a bennefit for the NHL.

They are still trying to gain tv deals. Theyve resorted to VS, and fsba PLus (which only about 1/4 of cable Tvs have)

MrfadeawayJB
10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I've said all along we are looking at a best case scenario of a 50 game season.

Cal827
10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I blame this entire lock out situation on the Mavericks & the Lakers ...

Small market teams can't afford to go that high into the luxury tax.

Other NBA players should follow the model of the Big 3 down in south beach,... take less money to help your team out.

Don't worry, I'll face palm myself:facepalm:

This nonsense is going to go on, until the courts handle it.

Good, for a minute I thought that I would have to lol

Although I do agree with your first point, including a few others like Orlando... It's brutal that some teams can basically go 20 mill into lux tax and have no problem.. Revenue Sharing as well as a stronger luxury tax system should do it. Allows the smaller teams to hold onto talent, and it would prevent higher teams from absolutely loading up. (assuming the lux tax is at least 3:1)

Arch Stanton
10-24-2011, 10:32 PM

Yep! Me too.

NYman15
10-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Expected, but not good news. They're still far apart and don't even have any meetings scheduled. Not good. We'll see what happens, but it won't be too long before we see them cancelling games through Christmas.

UPRock
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Not surprised at all, I really hate Stern.

RekeHavoc
10-24-2011, 10:43 PM
From NYDailyNews.com (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2011/10/24/2011-10-24_nba_lockout_continues_league_will_cancel_at_lea st_two_more_weeks_source_says_ann.html?r=sports)

im smiling ear to ear, GO OWNERS, GO PARITY!!!!

iggypop123
10-24-2011, 10:45 PM
the nhl had about the same parity now as before the lockout, what changed is the teams make money now. the nba's problem is when they had parity nobody gave a damn. how fond are your memories of the nba in the 70s?

Cal827
10-24-2011, 10:48 PM
the nhl had about the same parity now as before the lockout, what changed is the teams make money now. the nba's problem is when they had parity nobody gave a damn. how fond are your memories of the nba in the 70s?

Also the NHL is better nowadays... Before the lockout, you knew teams like Toronto/New York/Colorado/Detroit would go after everyone b/c they had the money.

ink
10-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Ummmmm.... No it didn't at all! It was the exact opposite and I would say it still hasn't recovered fully.

There are historical reasons why the markets that are struggling are not working. Simple: hockey doesn't belong in a market where people have never seen ice. The NHL's failed southern expansion is a completely separate issue from the pros and cons of the hard cap.

The hockey is far superior, the dialogue between players and management has improved dramatically, the consultation is excellent, and coming straight out of the lockout they instituted a very successful Competition Committee. All of these things have enabled the people who play and work for the game to re-energize the league.

The main point is that the competition level has been fantastic, and unlike basketball and baseball, the end result of the season is not predetermined at the start. Also, the NHL is finally conceding that their southern plan is a boneheaded failure (again, separate issue), and they moved the first of a few teams back to markets (i.e. Winnipeg) that will properly support an NHL franchise. The NBA will undoubtedly have to consider this too, though they don't really have the same failed geographic strategy the NHL did.

edit in: someone else mentioned the lack of TV deals. This is a problem endemic to running a Canadian sport in an American market. No one cares. IIRC there are 23 teams in the US and only 7 in Canada. The natural markets are all in Canada and the American Northeast. The rest of the league is always going to struggle and that has nothing to do with a CBA or cap structure.

ne3xchamps
10-24-2011, 10:57 PM
This isn't good at all. I have a feeling the whole season is in HUGE jeopardy. :(

Badluck33
10-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Parody will never exist in the NBA. It does in the NFL because anything can happen in one game to change the outcome. It'd be a different story if NFL playoffs consisted of x-game series.

I can understand both sides of the argument but when Adam silver says that the owners all wanted the same competitive chance every year like NHL and NFL is a little far-fetched...

Big2win
10-24-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't understand how some people could think that a 50/50 split is fair when the players split their 50 between 450 people and the owners split their 50 among 30. You guys really need a crash course in labor law. There is not a union alive that would concede to all of those take backs. The owners are using the small market argument as an excuse to take the negotiations hostage. Let's explore this Big Market vs Little Market argument. How many big market teams won the championship in the past 12 years besides the Lakers? Boston won one and that was their first since Larry Bird. The majority of the teams that made it to the finals was small market teams(New Jersey, Indiana, Philly, San Antonio, Dallas, Detroit, Cleveland, Orlando). All the big market teams, with the exception of LA has been rebuilding with Boston leading the trend of a big 3 mimicked by Miami. (Bulls, Knicks, etc). If it's an attack on the Lakers and Heat, just say that, because the small market teams have not been suffering from not being able to compete.

likemystylez
10-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Parody will never exist in the NBA. It does in the NFL because anything can happen in one game to change the outcome. It'd be a different story if NFL playoffs consisted of x-game series.

I can understand both sides of the argument but when Adam silver says that the owners all wanted the same competitive chance every year like NHL and NFL is a little far-fetched...

yeah- I think he meant from a system standpoint. Obviously nothing is perfect, but bad teams want to have a chance to get good and dont want to get stuck with 2 horrible contracts that are keeping them improving for 3 or 4 yrs straight.

shortening the lengths of a lot of the bad contracts could help.

sixer04fan
10-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Here's how were going to settle this. Everyone on PSD is going to get together in a gym. Everyone who supports the owners on one side. Everyone who supports the players on the other side. Then, we have a massive game of dodgeball. The winning team sets the terms to the new CBA. Problem solved.

It's really the only logical way.

Dade County
10-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Here's how were going to settle this. Everyone on PSD is going to get together in a gym. Everyone who supports the owners on one side. Everyone who supports the players on the other side. Then, we have a massive game of dodgeball. The winning team sets the terms to the new CBA. Problem solved.

It's really the only logical way.

:D How old are you?

That was good though.

Cal827
10-24-2011, 11:08 PM
^Best possible Answer :win:

sixer04fan
10-24-2011, 11:21 PM
:D How old are you?

That was good though.

Haha I'm 23. I'm just tired of debating the same argument over and over again on this site. And I really want to play some ****ing dodgeball.

Punk
10-24-2011, 11:23 PM
The NLRB will rule soon. Dec 1st remains intact.

GiantsSwaGG
10-24-2011, 11:26 PM
There won't be an NBA season, enjoy football guys and stop bringing your hopes up!

Ezio
10-24-2011, 11:27 PM
Haha I'm 23. I'm just tired of debating the same argument over and over again on this site. And I really want to play some ****ing dodgeball.

Let's get this on. Bet I can get the UC for one night. They set up a volleyball game the other night :puke:

The NLRB will rule soon. Dec 1st remains intact.

Maybe this is why there has been no meetings?

sixer04fan
10-24-2011, 11:39 PM
Let's get this on. Bet I can get the UC for one night. They set up a volleyball game the other night :puke:

Okay it's on. Let's go.

mp3
10-25-2011, 12:01 AM
yeah

ink
10-25-2011, 12:12 AM
I don't know what the southern expansion has to do with any of this but you are right it didn't work... They started that loooooong before the last lockout.. The Midwest is a huge hockey market as well. The lockout wasn't caused by any of this so I don't know how that's relevant. People just didn't stop caring about it either, the lockout caused that. If you are from anywhere north of St. Louis it is a good market. The lockout hurt the league greatly, I know. Pre lockout they had an ESPN deal and had games on routinely, had NHL tonight etc. The popularity is nowhere near what it once was.

That's the entire point: the NHL's problems don't really have much to do with the CBA. Their CBA is working incredibly well for them.

And the TV deal also has nothing to do with the CBA. They can't entice a major broadcaster because not enough Americans are interested in hockey, it's that simple. That won't change no matter what kind of cap you have or what salary structure you have.

If you're saying that hockey's popularity has never recovered from the lockout, that may be. But in the markets where the sport actually belongs and has historically good attendance, it's never been stronger. The main reason is because at the beginning of each season a ton of teams feel they have an equal chance at a successful season. That can't be said in the NBA.

disgruntledbull
10-25-2011, 12:25 AM
KG is that you?

Yeah the season is lost. Players don't want to be robbed at gun point basically.

the owners are the ones being robbed. when your employees have majority share, something is wrong

Antipod
10-25-2011, 01:05 AM
It was expected ... let`s hope will have bball at least in January :eyebrow:

Green Storm
10-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Shocking... They should just go ahead and cancel basketball until February.

Mudvayne91
10-25-2011, 01:16 AM
Glad footballs in full swing but man do I hate the player union and the dumb A## small market owners who constantly let their wack GM's make bad decisions SMFH

How about they just let these small market teams go back to the ABA and David Stern and company can have the Lakers vs Celtics every year. Everybody wins! I don't have to see my team get screwed by the refs/league all the time and Stern gets the same teams to be successful so he can make $. NBA w/o parity = WWE the way the league has been run. There's a little part of me that wants to see the NBA again, but there's a bigger part of me that wants the league to be fixed or just fold.

iggypop123
10-25-2011, 01:27 AM
the owners are looking to rape the players. they have their roofie ready. the only conses ion they are thinking about making is whether they will use lube or not.

nickdymez
10-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Just cancel the season, who cares. Im sick of it

TRF929
10-25-2011, 01:45 AM
The season will be canceled by Thanksgiving, then I don't have to hear all this. Let the owners do their thing, they may not earn any money out of it, but the majority wont lose any either.

rkelly7
10-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Please lockout NBA, the league is dead in 10 years anyway, let's speed up the process :)

gotoHcarolina52
10-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Frankly, I no longer give a ****. I refuse to be held hostage by millionaires and billionaires. **** you all.

You can take away my NBA, but you can't lay a finger on my sanity.

Cancel the season and be done with it. Hell, cancel the next five years while you're at it.

CityofTreez
10-25-2011, 02:01 AM
What an idiot that David Stern fellow is.

Dade County
10-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Lets not talk about money...

I really would like to know, what the small market fans would like to see come out of this lock out... Basketball rules wise / System wise. No BRI talk please!

What guidelines can they change to make it more competitively balance ( System wise)

Because I don't see it... It's to late in my opinion ... The star players that all these teams want, are already signed with a team or they are becoming free agents next year; and the small markets that would love to have them, have no real chance of signing any of them.

The next 5yrs have already been decided... The teams that are on top, are stacked already.

Now the owners want the fews stars that are left, to stay with their current teams or move to another small market team (WTF). So those small markets can make money, but have no realistic shot of winning a championship or going deep into the playoffs ( Because the top teams are stacked already). So those few stars that didn't team up are left having to carry subpar teams and never having a real opportunity to win big.

I maybe wrong, but i don't know how the CBA is going to fix this; as of right now.
The teams are stacked already.

Only thing the league can do is start taking star players from their teams, and placing them on small market teams ( THAT SOUNDS CRAZY RIGHT?)

But i am starting to feel, thats what every small market fan really wants in their heart.

They might as well shutdown the league. The past system already ****ed everything up.

Sactown
10-25-2011, 02:04 AM
I really don't like the argument that the small market teams are stupid and dig their own holes with the contracts they give. The small market teams are forced to either pay above value or watch their best players walk, which is why teams like Memphis and ATL pay guys like Gay and JJ max contracts.. If a player of JJ's caliber told the Lakers "pay me the max or I walk" the Lakers would just tell him to make sure he shuts the door on the way out.. It almost seems like the small market teams just developing talent just to watch them walk to the more marketable teams, and especially in an era where elite players are looking the other way just to join a super team because hey they're going to get the max in LA, or NY anyways. This is why in small market teams mediocre players are being over payed while the players worth the max are just going to get it in a more preferable location.. the league needs to change, and I'm supporting the owners..

knicks_champ
10-25-2011, 02:42 AM
I forgot about this whole situation haha..

LA_Raiders
10-25-2011, 04:05 AM
****ing KG and Greedy player... They are selfish *** holes...

SportsAndrew25
10-25-2011, 06:30 AM
This is just getting worse and worse and worse. :facepalm:

Tom Stone
10-25-2011, 08:25 AM
It's about time.......the players haven't felt enough pain yet......It's easy for the players to stand and act stong at this point.....Ive always said you want to get someone's attention mess with there money.

likemystylez
10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
the owners are looking to rape the players. they have their roofie ready. the only conses ion they are thinking about making is whether they will use lube or not.

the problem is... they are also raping the fans... and unfortunately, there just doesnt appear to be enough lube to go around.

sixer04fan
10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
the problem is... they are also raping the fans... and unfortunately, there just doesnt appear to be enough lube to go around.

ouch

mttwlsn16
10-25-2011, 11:09 AM
im almost to the point where i dont even give a ****

sep11ie
10-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm at the 'I don't give a ****" anymore. I'm even cutting players on my PS3 that start *****ing about playing time and their roles.

NYMetros
10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
im almost to the point where i dont even give a ****

why?

Weezy
10-25-2011, 11:22 AM
yay!

Shmontaine
10-25-2011, 11:34 AM
no players have lost paychecks yet... this is their last week i believe... give it a month, and they will start to sweat and start to make serious concessions IMO... february start, and 40 game season..

Ill21
10-25-2011, 11:40 AM
no players have lost paychecks yet... this is their last week i believe... give it a month, and they will start to sweat and start to make serious concessions IMO... february start, and 40 game season..

There is no way they will only play 40 games the league will just cancel the season at that point. December start 60 games

SeoulBeatz
10-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Greed is a *****....

This is killing me. Obv the Sixers are my favorite team by far and delaying a season that's so key to our young players development is a terrible waste.

Jrue, Evan, Thad, Jodie Meeks, Lou Will, Vuc, they all need this experience and depriving them of that ****ing sucks to put it plainly.

Dankster
10-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Well the owners are definitely winning this battle, and rightfully so, they're OWNERS..These players are going to start sweating it out when they start to actually not receive their paychecks. The NBPA is going to wish they locked up a deal when their was a mediator present; if there is a CBA this year it's going to look pretty one sided as far as systematic concessions go..It's going to be pretty awful and embarassing for the players association.

And to the person who stated that the lockout for the NHL helped galvanize and revamp that sport, well you must not be from the United States. I've been to several devils hockey games and you'd be lucky to see half the stadium filled. The popularity hit it took in the US is just incredible, and it hasn't really gotten much better for the past decade dude.

ink
10-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Well the owners are definitely winning this battle, and rightfully so, they're OWNERS..These players are going to start sweating it out when they start to actually not receive their paychecks. The NBPA is going to wish they locked up a deal when their was a mediator present; if there is a CBA this year it's going to look pretty one sided as far as systematic concessions go..It's going to be pretty awful and embarassing for the players association.

And to the person who stated that the lockout for the NHL helped galvanize and revamp that sport, well you must not be from the United States. I've been to several devils hockey games and you'd be lucky to see half the stadium filled. The popularity hit it took in the US is just incredible, and it hasn't really gotten much better for the past decade dude.

That's the thing, I don't think the NHL has ever or will ever be big in the US. It's just the way it is. The traditional markets (including smaller markets) are very strong right now and the others are either hopeless cases (Phoenix, Florida, Columbus) or totally dependent on having a winner (Carolina, Nashville, even NJ and NYI). The NHL actually needs to contract to about 24 teams, but again that isn't a CBA issue. That's my point. In terms of the CBA and the Competition Committee they established during/after the lockout, things have worked out very well.

daleja424
10-25-2011, 12:32 PM
who cares... this was inevitable. Even if they came to a deal today they wouldn't be ready to start November 15th...

Shmontaine
10-25-2011, 12:45 PM
There is no way they will only play 40 games the league will just cancel the season at that point. December start 60 games

why? there's still 2 billion to be made for half a season... if they can make the money, they will...

gotoHcarolina52
10-25-2011, 01:16 PM
In business, you hear it all the time--a deal is inevitable; there's too much money at stake. Unfortunately, in this lockout there are too many inflated egos at play. Rationality goes out the window when emotions take over.

ink
10-25-2011, 01:26 PM
In business, you hear it all the time--a deal is inevitable; there's too much money at stake. Unfortunately, in this lockout there are too many inflated egos at play. Rationality goes out the window when emotions take over.

Ego and entitlement. The players feel entitled to what they've had for a while with the old CBA and don't want to come out of this lockout looking bad. The owners will probably wait them out, break them down, and then find a way in 3 months, 6 months, or a year, to help them save face as they implement a new, badly needed, system. They are going to have to go from basically ruling the league (and ****ing it up royally) to being ruled by the league and it will take a long time for them to break that way of thinking. As a fan, I want to see a league that is NOT run by the players. I am interested in a team sport being a team sport even though I don't particularly care for many of the owners either.

SteBO
10-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I don't care how long it takes just as long as the players get a fair deal. The owners won a long time ago, but they're pushing it now. **** them.

ink
10-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I don't care how long it takes just as long as the players get a fair deal. The owners won a long time ago, but they're pushing it now. **** them.

I think everyone would be surprised now if we don't see major systemic change. The problem is that the players just haven't accepted that this might happen and have only really been offering changes WITHIN the current system. The thing is, the old CBA has expired, and the owners don't want to tinker with the old one, they want to draw up a new one. That's why all the "concessions" to date aren't really relevant. They only apply to a CBA that no longer exists.

blahblahyoutoo
10-25-2011, 03:06 PM
KG is that you?

robbed at gun point? lol wut?
who's forcing them to play in the NBA?

mttwlsn16
10-25-2011, 03:24 PM
why?

bc
i LOVE the nba, dont get me wwrong
but u have millionaires fighting billionaires here over BS. theyre all ********

SteBO
10-25-2011, 06:03 PM
I think everyone would be surprised now if we don't see major systemic change. The problem is that the players just haven't accepted that this might happen and have only really been offering changes WITHIN the current system. The thing is, the old CBA has expired, and the owners don't want to tinker with the old one, they want to draw up a new one. That's why all the "concessions" to date aren't really relevant. They only apply to a CBA that no longer exists.
Agreed. I read an article on ESPN.com about how the NLBR could end this, and it said something to the effect of if they rule in favor of the players and deem their complaints valid and true, then the NBA could very essentially gain a CBA deal that favors the players in every aspect. You'd have to read it to get the full detail though.