PDA

View Full Version : Ban booze in the clubhouse?

redbird89
10-24-2011, 04:11 PM
The Cardinals, I think, already ban alcohol in the home clubhouse except during the postseason celebrations. After Josh Hancock's alcohol-related car accident they made that new rule. I'm not sure how strictly it's enforced. The Cardinals can have beer in the visitors clubhouses, since they're on the road so they won't be driving anywhere. At least that's the way I understood the rule.

Anyway, this is interesting:

ARLINGTON, Texas Overreact much? Joe Torre said on Sunday that Major League Baseball is considering a league-wide ban on beer in the clubhouse in the wake of the huge fallout from the Boston Red Sox's "beer and fried chicken" report.

"You've got to make them understand why there are rules,'' MLB's vice president told reporters here at Rangers Ballpark before Game 4 of the World Series. "I want people to understand the nature if we do ban alcohol from clubhouses. We're supposed to be role models for youngsters.''

more: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Major-League-Baseball-considering-a-beer-ban-in-?urn=mlb-wp25139

I don't know that banning beer in every clubhouse should happen as a result of the Red Sox being lazy.

ARLINGTON, Texas -- Major League Baseball is considering issuing a widespread ban on alcohol in clubhouses after the Boston Red Sox's widely reported incidents, according to vice president Joe Torre.

"It's something we're concerned about,'' Torre said. "I have some plans to talk to some people. I'm going to look at it and find the best way to approach it. I have no trouble talking about that behavior.''

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2011/10/major-league-baseball-ban-alcohol/1

Are they gonna ban chicken, too?

While Lester is correct, a survey by the Globe showed that alcohol in the clubhouse is being phased out of the game. Of the 30 teams in baseball, the Red Sox are one of just 12 still providing beer to their players.

Of those 12 teams, three limit access to beer and closely monitor the players. The Yankees, Cardinals, Dodgers, and Cubs are among the 18 clubs that do not allow beer in the clubhouse, at home or on the road.

Even the Milwaukee Brewers, who play at Miller Park, have banned beer in the clubhouse.

For many teams, the decades-old practice of allowing beer ended in 2007 when St. Louis pitcher Josh Hancock was killed in an alcohol-related traffic accident. Teams were concerned with the safety of their players and liability issues that could result from players driving while intoxicated.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-20/sports/30302963_1_beer-policy-clubhouse-dustin-pedroia

Yankee Clipper
10-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Seems a little bit ridiculous. If these players want to drink, let them. In my opinion it's the team's choice on handling matters like this.

Jeffy25
10-24-2011, 04:15 PM
They are professional adults, it's unnecessary until there is abuse.

RTL
10-24-2011, 04:19 PM
It's up to the individual teams to make their own rules. I have no problem with alcohol being in the clubhouse.

Pinstripe pride
10-24-2011, 04:25 PM
up to the players to make the right decisions. mlb should not intervene

getfoul
10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I have no problem with beer in the clubhouse if they drink it responsibly after the game is over.

Drinking before or during a game? No, don't act like a child sneaking a beer. Be a professional, and have one or two after the work day is over.

Cub_StuckinSTL
10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
This is america. Without beer and dip its not baseball.

theslick1
10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Beer by itself is fine. It's the beer and chicken combo that has to be regulated.

Jeffy25
10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
It's up to the individual teams to make their own rules. I have no problem with alcohol being in the clubhouse.

This.

Bombtista
10-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Beer by itself is fine. It's the beer and chicken combo that has to be regulated.

ahaha this

2009mvp
10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Way to ruin it for everyone Red Sox.

But seriously, this is ridiculous.

S.P.
10-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Alcohol is OK. If I were in charge of a team I would fine any individual who opened a bottle before the final out of the game. You can drink when the rest of us can drink.

TheRuckus
10-24-2011, 05:37 PM
I just love the nanny statism that has started to pervade ****ing everything...

giants73756
10-24-2011, 05:51 PM
The way it is is perfect. Let the teams decide if they want it or not.

Twitchy
10-24-2011, 06:01 PM
You know what's sad? A player dies because of drinking and driving and they don't ban alcohol in baseball. But some story comes out about the Red Sox having a 9th inning rally beer, and all of a sudden they're so interested in banning alcohol.

It's just a PR stunt. If they were serious about banning alcohol, they should have done it because of all the DUI's, not because of drinking in the clubhouse.

dtmagnet
10-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Just not during the game, after the game is fine.

the_jon
10-24-2011, 06:57 PM
When a game is happening, you're at work. It's not stupid the timing is the only thing that's stupid. You shouldn't be drinking on the job period.

the_jon
10-24-2011, 07:00 PM
They are professional adults, it's unnecessary until there is abuse.
If you can't wait until you leave the building you work at to crack a beer, then you have a problem.

Mr Haha
10-24-2011, 07:38 PM

Are you Glenn Beck? If so, can I have your autograph?

If players are dumb enough to get drunk during games, let them. They will have to deal with the consequences.

DerekRE_3
10-24-2011, 08:13 PM

This. I hate the whole "protect people from themselves" ********.

VRP723
10-24-2011, 08:17 PM
My dad is a professional adult too, he can't crack up a cold one in his office.

This is a job, they absolutely should not be drinking. I can't believe I'm so in the minority here.

DerekRE_3
10-24-2011, 08:23 PM
His job isn't to hit and catch a ball...it's not that serious.

VRP723
10-24-2011, 08:28 PM
It doesn't matter, they shouldn't be drinking during the games. I guess I wouldn't ban it from clubhouses, but I would absolutely ban it during games.

Tkais9009
10-24-2011, 08:31 PM

this

DerekRE_3
10-24-2011, 08:36 PM
It doesn't matter, they shouldn't be drinking during the games. I guess I wouldn't ban it from clubhouses, but I would absolutely ban it during games.

Pretty sure most of the drinking is done after games. It's not like you have catchers bringing their pitchers a pint during mound visits...though maybe they should...

GA16Angels
10-24-2011, 09:29 PM
I think they should ban alcohol. It's their job, they're getting paid to play, and most jobs don't allow you to drink while you're working.

abe_froman
10-25-2011, 01:18 AM
hell no.beer is as much a part of baseball as anything.whats with this wussification of america

boards
10-30-2011, 01:43 PM
I strongly support this decision due to the fact that the human life is precious and you have no right to put your and/or others' life on stake for your addiction. And mind you... No car accident lawyer (http://www.phillyinjurylawyer.com/) can get back you the lives that you lose due to this foolishness. Alcohol is not good for any reason and how a thing can be good that brings you down from the level of humanity.

Uncle Sam
10-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Ban booze? This isnt an alternative league softball game, this is major league baseball, lets all think like real conservative men here.

Uncle Sam
10-30-2011, 02:23 PM
I strongly support this decision due to the fact that the human life is precious and you have no right to put your and/or others' life on stake for your addiction. And mind you... No car accident lawyer (http://www.phillyinjurylawyer.com/) can get back you the lives that you lose due to this foolishness. Alcohol is not good for any reason and how a thing can be good that brings you down from the level of humanity.

You do have the right to put your own life at risk, its yours so do whatever the hell you want with it as long as it doesnt hurt others. Its like the seat belt laws in michigan, it doesnt hurt anyone else if I dont wear a seat belt. Chances are most people who say lifes precious so you cant do it like this are the same ones that support abortion, it just doesnt line up.

Uncle Sam
10-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Are you Glenn Beck? If so, can I have your autograph?

If players are dumb enough to get drunk during games, let them. They will have to deal with the consequences.

Are you Chris Mathews?

GOON MUSIC
10-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Wheres the defensive replacement smh

Toxeryll
10-30-2011, 03:42 PM
My dad is a professional adult too, he can't crack up a cold one in his office.

This is a job, they absolutely should not be drinking. I can't believe I'm so in the minority here.

this

ManningToTyree
10-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Bingo.

Raiderwood
10-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Its up to the team, their employer... If you run a company, and let your employees get tanked during work hours, don't expect a great result..

NYKNYGNYY
10-30-2011, 08:21 PM
should be banned, dont ask dont tell

Yankee Clipper
10-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Its up to the team, their employer... If you run a company, and let your employees get tanked during work hours, don't expect a great result..

I'm in agreement. It should come down to the organization to lay down the law when it comes to things like drinking alcohol in the clubhouse. In my view, I wouldn't allow it at all.

miller74
10-31-2011, 12:08 PM
Good thing the season was done before MW3 came out or the Red Sox would have blown it alot earlier

miller74
10-31-2011, 12:10 PM
I really dont think that people on here know enough about how things work in a clubhouse. You really dont know team rules, when people are drinking. Really a pitcher on a off day having a beer during a game shouldnt be the end of the world.

StayOnBoard
10-31-2011, 12:36 PM
you know what's sad? A player dies because of drinking and driving and they don't ban alcohol in baseball. But some story comes out about the red sox having a 9th inning rally beer, and all of a sudden they're so interested in banning alcohol.

It's just a pr stunt. If they were serious about banning alcohol, they should have done it because of all the dui's, not because of drinking in the clubhouse.

qft ^

getfoul
10-31-2011, 12:40 PM
I really dont think that people on here know enough about how things work in a clubhouse. You really dont know team rules, when people are drinking. Really a pitcher on a off day having a beer during a game shouldnt be the end of the world.

It shouldn't be the end of the world to NOT drink while your teammates are trying to win a game either.

It sounds like junior high kids sneaking into their parents liquor cabinet.

I have no problem with beer in the clubhouse after the game, but if the children are going to abuse the privelage, then maybe they just need to take it out of there altogether.

todu82
11-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Options 1 and 4. I'm not allowed to drink or smoke at my workplace why should these guys?

Bang Bros89
11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Because it's baselball! They have to watch a game for 3 to 4 hours, if you aren't scheduled to pitch who gets hurt if you drink? A 3 to 4 hour game of baseball can get boring, even to the players in it.

And people comparing your job or other professional jobs, this is baseball. It's no comparison. These guys are payed to play baseball, not to do paperwork, or whatever else people do in offices and such.

Who is affected if these guys drink, eat, play games? Nobody

miller74
11-01-2011, 11:12 AM
It shouldn't be the end of the world to NOT drink while your teammates are trying to win a game either.

It sounds like junior high kids sneaking into their parents liquor cabinet.

I have no problem with beer in the clubhouse after the game, but if the children are going to abuse the privelage, then maybe they just need to take it out of there altogether.

Its been going on for so long and this is the first time people are piping up. Some pitches player around 30 games and watch around 130. Thats around 300hrs of baseball, i know its there job and are paid well for it but come on thats alot of time to be sitting around

DJYankee
11-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

fingerbang
11-01-2011, 01:44 PM
A grown *** man can have a beer if he wants to. This isn't high school.