PDA

View Full Version : Players have signed contracts for world tour

daleja424
10-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Details of the six-game, four-continent exhibition tour by NBA players set to begin at the end of October have not been finalized, but 14 of the 18 players approached have contractually committed to the tour, sources said, and deals with all 18 are expected to be completed Sunday night.

The list of players approached by Atlanta businessman Cal Darden include reigning NBA MVP Derrick Rose, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, sources said.

The tour is scheduled to start with a game Oct. 30 in Puerto Rico and include two games in London, one in Macau and two, back-to-back, in Australia.

Since news of the tour surfaced last week, nine more players have expressed interest in taking part, a source said, and two more may be added.

A couple of agents with players committed to the tour said on condition of anonymity that they are curious to see how Darden will make good on the contractual promises made.

The players will be paid salaries ranging from six figures up to $1 million, sources have told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

Those fees would have to be covered above and beyond insurance, travel and security costs in four foreign locales.

But a source close to the organizers said a news release officially announcing the tour could be distributed as early as Monday.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7140585/lockout-nba-world-tour-contracts-place-sources-say

I have also heard there are international TV deals in place for these games. This could be exactly what we need to say sane!!!

RekeHavoc
10-24-2011, 09:51 AM
im not big on this whole allstar nonsense of these guys teaming up to play, it doesnt interest me, im not a fan of watching pickup games, ill just wait 2 years when the lockout ends

daleja424
10-24-2011, 09:55 AM
I think these will be of a higher quality personally...

There is money exchanging hands, droves of people watching, and future tours at stake. I expect these will be more NBA-like than the little charity games have been. I'm looking for more of a 120-110 game (instead of a 182-174 kinda game)

RekeHavoc
10-24-2011, 09:56 AM
I think these will be of a higher quality personally...

There is money exchanging hands, droves of people watching, and future tours at stake. I expect these will be more NBA-like than the little charity games have been. I'm looking for more of a 120-110 game (instead of a 182-174 kinda game)

there is no championship, probably no referees, who the heck coaches,no trades

not my type of basketball, id rather watch classic games on nbatv, knowing the outcomes, but thats just me

MrfadeawayJB
10-24-2011, 10:16 AM
I am mixed on this. I like the idea as a basketball fan because i am going insane right now until College basketball starts. On the other hand, I dont like seeing these guys make butt-loads of money for glorified pick up games like the ones you see at your local ymca. This will not help with the lockout situation

daleja424
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I would rather them play on the same team and play exhibitions against other countries/club teams. They could bill it almost as an Olympic warm up.

daleja424
10-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Organizers of NBA stars global tour still scrambling this morning to get television distribution deal done, sources say.

Several players, Puerto Rico promoters, waiting for payments to be wired today. Tour may still happen, but typical cluster-you-know-what.
Adrian W (Yahoo Sports)

Sly Guy
10-24-2011, 10:43 AM
im not big on this whole allstar nonsense of these guys teaming up to play, it doesnt interest me, im not a fan of watching pickup games, ill just wait 2 years when the lockout ends

I agree. It's not about star power, it's about quality play. And all star games have none of it.

C-Style
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Can we get a 1vs1 tournament???

ink
10-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree. It's not about star power, it's about quality play. And all star games have none of it.

Sounds like the regular season for super teams. lol.

Glad to see they've got their ego-tour arranged. Hope they get their fix.

Don't hurry back ...

beliges
10-24-2011, 02:35 PM
The more and more things like this occur, the likelihood of having a season this year diminishes more and more. So sad. These athletes have become so spoiled and so infatuated with making every last cent possible that it has become very embarassing for them.

blahblahyoutoo
10-24-2011, 03:20 PM
are they playing against each other?
so basically it's going to be like an allstar game where traveling won't be called and defense won't be played.

pass.

NYKalltheway
10-24-2011, 03:39 PM
every fanboy's dream

every basketball fan's nightmare

daleja424
10-24-2011, 06:57 PM
The more and more things like this occur, the likelihood of having a season this year diminishes more and more. So sad. These athletes have become so spoiled and so infatuated with making every last cent possible that it has become very embarassing for them.

some people are delusional. of course they want to maximize their earning power... this is america right? That is what everyone with an IQ above 52 tries to do...

BirdIsTheWord
10-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Please stay locked out until after they visit Australia :pray:

Tony_Starks
10-24-2011, 07:16 PM
there is no championship, probably no referees, who the heck coaches,no trades

not my type of basketball, id rather watch classic games on nbatv, knowing the outcomes, but thats just me

Im pretty sure there will be referees, its not like playing at the park.

But to each his own, I'd certainly line up to watch D Rose coming down on the break with Lebron and Kobe on the wings but hey thats just me.....

Twista
10-24-2011, 07:25 PM
so is this actually going to be on TV, or do I have to use crappy, blurry streams to view these games?

daleja424
10-25-2011, 08:51 AM
so is this actually going to be on TV, or do I have to use crappy, blurry streams to view these games?

I imagine details will be forthcoming... but it sounds like they are trying to get it on television.