PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Stock Watch - C.J. Wilson

Jeffy25
10-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Where do you believe C.J. will sign, and for how much and how long?

Over the last two seasons, C.J. has a 10.5 fWAR, placing him 9th in baseball between Dan Haren and Ubaldo Jimenez.

He has a 3.14 ERA, 3.39 FIP, and a 3.72 xFIP.

7.92 K/9, 3.52 BB/9, and 427.1 IP.

While he is prone to allowing walks, he does a well above average job stranding those runners and not allowing the long ball, even in his home ball park. He is good for 200 plus innings at above average performance.

I don't personally see Wilson as an ace caliber pitcher, but a really effective number 2 behind a good ace. But his results are there. He has done an above average job of keeping the ball in the ball park and not allowing runners to score.

Personally, I think Texas retains him for 5/75

Phaneuf3
10-22-2011, 09:27 AM
I think there is no doubt he will be a Yankee. Yankees need to prove to Sabathia that they can bring in a legitimate number two guy (who would be an ace in most rotations) and wilson is the guy
I think he'll sign 6 years 75-85 million

xxplayerxx23
10-22-2011, 09:46 AM
I think there is no doubt he will be a Yankee. Yankees need to prove to Sabathia that they can bring in a legitimate number two guy (who would be an ace in most rotations) and wilson is the guy
I think he'll sign 6 years 75-85 million

no way. Wilison will stay with texas. We dont need to prove anything To Sabathia.

AI
10-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Don't want him, I'd prefer Buehrle on 2 years, but I feel as if the Sox will be one of the most serious teams after him.

AI
10-22-2011, 09:53 AM
no way. Wilison will stay with texas. We dont need to prove anything To Sabathia.

Exactly, all you need to do is flash some more $ and he'll stay.

RTL
10-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Hard to say so early where he will end up but I'm sure the Yankees and Red Sox will help drive up the price. Texas is apparently prepared to make a run at Sabathia so who knows if they will land him or not. Wilson apparently loves to hit so maybe a NL team could be attractive and possibly Theo's first FA signing since the Cubs are in dire need of pitching. I hope Theo doesn't go that route. The Nationals could make a run at him as well.

StryderSox
10-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Don't want him, I'd prefer Buehrle on 2 years, but I feel as if the Sox will be one of the most serious teams after him.

100% agree. I am really starting to like the Buehrle option as a back end rotation guy.

StryderSox
10-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Hard to say so early where he will end up but I'm sure the Yankees and Red Sox will help drive up the price. Texas is apparently prepared to make a run at Sabathia so who knows if they will land him or not. Wilson apparently loves to hit so maybe a NL team could be attractive and possibly Theo's first FA signing since the Cubs are in dire need of pitching. I hope Theo doesn't go that route. The Nationals could make a run at him as well.

This would be hillarious to see Texas driving up the price on Sabathia and the Yankees in turn driving up the price on CJ.

Phaneuf3
10-22-2011, 10:03 AM

I thought cliff lee was going to stay with texas...... the rangers and their ownership aren't willing to spend big money on pitching, he will get way more money from a team like the yankees or the red sox, and the yankees don't need to prove anything to sabathia? without sabathia the yankees pitching is NOTHING. If they lose him and don't sign wilson they have no chance to contend next year

RTL
10-22-2011, 10:03 AM
This would be hillarious to see Texas driving up the price on Sabathia and the Yankees in turn driving up the price on CJ.

HAHA I'm just glad my team doesn't need pitching.

AI
10-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Texas already said he wants $100M and isn't getting anywhere close to that type of contract from them. They are going to move Feliz into the rotation and sign a closer like Heath Bell or Ryan Madson.

Phaneuf3
10-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Texas already said he wants $100M and isn't getting anywhere close to that type of contract from them. They are going to move Feliz into the rotation and sign a closer like Heath Bell or Ryan Madson.

Feliz has said on multiple occasions that he would like to become a starting pitcher, so they have the flexibility of being able to let wilson go and get over paid else where

rkelly7
10-22-2011, 10:53 AM

I disagree. The Yankees have a lot to prove to Sabathia. If it were not for a few out of nowhere surprises this year (Nova, Colon, Garcia), the Yankees would not have made the playoffs. Their rotation i average at best.

If I was CC, I would opt out, and tell Cashman/ownership I won't sign unless you sign Wilson or Darvish. Otherwise, I'll go sign with a team that has a chance of winning a world series.

I think there is more to this opt out (assuming he does) than just money.

Burkey3472
10-22-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm sure there is an mystery team out there that is going to give him a lot more then he is worth.

Greet
10-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Him and Sabathia are going to swap.

Once Sabathia opts-out of his contract, Texas throws him "boatloads" of money, CJ goes to the Yankees.

Phaneuf3
10-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Him and Sabathia are going to swap.

Once Sabathia opts-out of his contract, Texas throws him "boatloads" of money, CJ goes to the Yankees.

Texas will never throw boatloads of money at a pitcher, and they don't really need to because they have enough major league starters (lewis, holland, harrison, ogando) to stick with home grown talent. Also, next year they are probably going to make feliz a starter and either convert adams to closer or sign a FA closer

verdell1978
10-22-2011, 12:39 PM
I thought cliff lee was going to stay with texas...... the rangers and their ownership aren't willing to spend big money on pitching, he will get way more money from a team like the yankees or the red sox, and the yankees don't need to prove anything to sabathia? without sabathia the yankees pitching is NOTHING. If they lose him and don't sign wilson they have no chance to contend next year

Cliff Lee left because he didn't want the responsibility or the pressure of being the number one guy. The reason why CJ Wilson won't be back?! Two words: Harrison, Holland. Nuff said

JermanJaysFan
10-22-2011, 12:42 PM
I think he gets 105/5 from the Yankees.

Yes I know it is much more than he is worth.

Phaneuf3
10-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Cliff Lee left because he didn't want the responsibility or the pressure of being the number one guy. The reason why CJ Wilson won't be back?! Two words: Harrison, Holland. Nuff said

First of all without cliff lee the rangers wouldnt have made it to the world series last year, so you can't say he didn't carry the rangers rotation through the playoffs. I think the biggest reason Wilson won't stay in texas is because of money. He wants to cash in on what will probably be his biggest pay day in his career. Yes Texas has good depth but neither of those guys are aces or even projected to be aces

Phaneuf3
10-22-2011, 12:45 PM
I think he gets 105/5 from the Yankees.

Yes I know it is much more than he is worth.

I don't even think the yankees are stupid enough to give him that much money....

Mell413
10-22-2011, 01:16 PM
If Wilson could be had for 75 over 5 I would be happy if the Cubs signed him. That said I think he get's 100 million from someone. My guess would be the Yanks

jd25213
10-22-2011, 01:17 PM
If the Yankees sign Wilson, I will shoot myself, I don't want him!!!!!!!!!!! Go get me Darvish!!!

DieHardCubFan
10-22-2011, 01:31 PM
I think Theo Epstein will bring him in for the Cubs starting rotation.

TrueYankee
10-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Yankees are not going to sign this guy. By listening to reports and reading various sources, the Yankees are not high on this guy like they were with Cliff Lee. I think Yankees will either attempt to sign Darvish if he becomes available, or trade for a top end starter (hopefully we do not have to) with a package around Montero.

To be honest, I dont think big market team are going to persue Wilson. I think he will get a surprise offer from a low market team

RTL
10-22-2011, 01:34 PM
No team is going to be as high on him as Cliff Lee.

Jack of Blades
10-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Yes Texas has good depth but neither of those guys are aces or even projected to be aces

Holland is.

Fred
10-22-2011, 01:52 PM
I think the Nationals need Wilson more than anyone...unless they are going to go ridiculous for Albert or Prince, they need to add to their process...pitching gets you over the hump quicker than one hitter....they get wilson, they get stras healthy next year...they could be pretty good...

McPeak92
10-22-2011, 02:10 PM
1. Rangers
2. Yankees
3. Nats
4. Cubs

ny212
10-22-2011, 02:22 PM
sabathia and wilson to the phillies lol..they can be called the dream team like the eagles then suck hahahaha

Phaneuf3
10-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Holland is.

I don't think holland will ever be the ace of a rotation, but only time will tell

"Ace"ves
10-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Holland is.

The only thing "ace" like about him is around 200 IP, 4 shutouts, and 16 wins. However 200 IP has to do with more durability (still impressive though because you have to know how to keep your pitch count low. The 4 shutouts are impressive, however you can be an inconsistent pitcher and have a few gems. Finally the 16 wins is impressive... but offense will play a part in that category.

Or if you are a saber guy (im not), he has a 2.7 WAR

Not an ace.... not yet at least

Halopower31
10-22-2011, 03:16 PM
He is coming home to the Angels fro 5yr 70M and pull a Cliff Lee and join the best Rotation in the AL

fishfan79
10-22-2011, 03:30 PM
florida wants to make a big splash, and his name has been thrown out alot. I could easily see them getting into the mix. They need a lefty badly and he would fit in great with JJ and sanchez

Jack of Blades
10-22-2011, 03:34 PM
The only thing "ace" like about him is around 200 IP, 4 shutouts, and 16 wins. However 200 IP has to do with more durability (still impressive though because you have to know how to keep your pitch count low. The 4 shutouts are impressive, however you can be an inconsistent pitcher and have a few gems. Finally the 16 wins is impressive... but offense will play a part in that category.

Or if you are a saber guy (im not), he has a 2.7 WAR

Not an ace.... not yet at least

I was talking about ace potential. The Rangers passed up on the Roy Halladay deal because they asked for Holland in return. That right there tells me that they see something more then just a hard throwing lefty. One of the best games I've ever seen pitched was from Holland last year. He threw a CG 3 hitter in LAA while throwing only 97 pitches.

verdell1978
10-22-2011, 08:19 PM
First of all without cliff lee the rangers wouldnt have made it to the world series last year, so you can't say he didn't carry the rangers rotation through the playoffs. I think the biggest reason Wilson won't stay in texas is because of money. He wants to cash in on what will probably be his biggest pay day in his career. Yes Texas has good depth but neither of those guys are aces or even projected to be aces

I never said Holland and Harrison were aces. But they are better than average lefties who obviously can pitch and succeed in that ball park. Wilson is the "ace" by default. At best he is a u number 2. Ogando has "ace" stuff and you have to assume that he will be better next year. If they sign Heath Bell or move Adams to the closer then Feliz becomes your fifth starter. Rotation 2012

1. Ogando
2. Harisson
3. Lewis
4. Holland
5. Feliz with their offense that's a pretty decent staff.

jd25213
10-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Yankees are not going to sign this guy. By listening to reports and reading various sources, the Yankees are not high on this guy like they were with Cliff Lee. I think Yankees will either attempt to sign Darvish if he becomes available, or trade for a top end starter (hopefully we do not have to) with a package around Montero.

To be honest, I dont think big market team are going to persue Wilson. I think he will get a surprise offer from a low market team

Right, one report said that a Yankee scout told him that they view CJ as a number 4, at best. Hey don't blame me, that's what the Yankees think of him.

VenezuelanMet
10-23-2011, 12:20 AM
This isn't exclusive to CJ, but IMO it's borderline ******** how the postseason can alter the perception of how much Free Agents are going to get.

This dude has been as solid as a #2 there is, borderline ace at times for 2 years, but people are down on him just because 4 bad starts in the playoffs? It makes no sense that these starts to hold so much weight over 60+ starts he's had over 2 years.

But hey, maybe I'm too logical of a person.

More-Than-Most
10-23-2011, 12:23 AM
I think the yanks will severely overpay and get him. I also think whomever gets him will regret it at the price they do get him at as soon as next season.

TrueYankee
10-23-2011, 12:35 AM
I think the Nationals need Wilson more than anyone...unless they are going to go ridiculous for Albert or Prince, they need to add to their process...pitching gets you over the hump quicker than one hitter....they get wilson, they get stras healthy next year...they could be pretty good...

Yea I can see the Nationals getting interested in Wilson, but I truly think they will try and go for a big bat like Pujols/Fielder. I agree with you though if they can get Wilson/Stras together it could be good.

1. Rangers
2. Yankees
3. Nats
4. Cubs

More like Nats, Marlins, Cubs, Rangers, Orioles, Jays, Angels...
Yankees will not get him, mark these words I will help you (Sunday 12:35am)

sabathia and wilson to the phillies lol..they can be called the dream team like the eagles then suck hahahaha

Just like the Phillies/Red Sox were the dream team?

He is coming home to the Angels fro 5yr 70M and pull a Cliff Lee and join the best Rotation in the AL

I wouldnt be surprised to see the Angels attempt to sign him. But I am not sure if they have the money at the time to do so.

I think the yanks will severely overpay and get him. I also think whomever gets him will regret it at the price they do get him at as soon as next season.

#1- Uhm No.

#2- Totally agree

Cano-Montero...
10-23-2011, 12:54 AM
He will not end up with the yankees...Hopefully...

I think he resigns with texas or go to washington..

More-Than-Most
10-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Yea I can see the Nationals getting interested in Wilson, but I truly think they will try and go for a big bat like Pujols/Fielder. I agree with you though if they can get Wilson/Stras together it could be good.

More like Nats, Marlins, Cubs, Rangers, Orioles, Jays, Angels...
Yankees will not get him, mark these words I will help you (Sunday 12:35am)

Just like the Phillies/Red Sox were the dream team?

I wouldnt be surprised to see the Angels attempt to sign him. But I am not sure if they have the money at the time to do so.

#1- Uhm No.

#2- Totally agree

I only expect him to go there because of how badly they need pitching and because they might need a leg to stand on to keep Sabathia. If I were the Yankees I would stay away from him...If I were any team I would not go near the 100 million mark

KingPosey
10-23-2011, 01:26 AM
He will have his choice of teams, but his dollar signs arent exactly skyrocketing with his playoff starts, he has been AWFUL. Which sucsk because he was solid during the regular season.

I see him staying in Texas, and they better do what they can to keep him.

Chief Nocahoma
10-23-2011, 01:38 AM
I voted with the Braves, just because that would make a killer rotation. Hanson Wilson Hudson Jurrjens and Beachy. We have to much $ attached on Kawakami and Lowe to come close to a Texas or New York offer. But maybe it might be a Cliff Lee situation all over again, signing with a more superior rotation for less $.

KingPosey
10-23-2011, 01:42 AM
A lot of you guys are saying numbers like 5/75, or he himself wants 100+, thats crazy. Thats Ace money, and he is not an ace.

TrueYankee
10-23-2011, 01:54 AM
This is how I view Wilson:

4 years $68-70M

Of course this is what most team's would like to offer, but Wilson and his agent will probably be firm on 5-6 years anywhere from $80-90M.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-23-2011, 04:17 AM
I'm voting Blue Jays for every thread.

Yankee Clipper
10-23-2011, 04:36 AM
For the type of money he will command at his current age, I hope the Yankees don't make a push for him. At this point I can see him returning back to Texas where he has been productive as their front line pitcher this season.

Halopower31
10-23-2011, 05:26 AM
Angels have 20M coming off the books and j think the will upgrade the offense buy trade and they need a 4/5 starter so C.J. Can slot in the 2 or 3 spot for us and have the best Rotation in the AL ( not sure about MLB, Phillies might still be better)

todu82
10-23-2011, 09:30 AM
The Yankees on a 5 year contract at 19 million per season.

StayOnBoard
10-23-2011, 10:05 AM
5 years and 100 million with the Yankees (they also resign CC but I'll wait for that topic).

:)

Phaneuf3
10-23-2011, 10:49 AM
5 years and 100 million with the Yankees (they also resign CC but I'll wait for that topic).

:)

I don't think the Yankees are stupid enough to give wilson 100 million dollars, or 20 mil a year

Skizzik
10-23-2011, 02:04 PM
My guess is he goes to the Angels. He won't have to be the ace, he loves cali and I can't imagine the Rangers overpaying for him (aka, giving him the kind of contract he thinks he deserves). The Rangers have a lot of young pitchers and while our best pitcher may not beat your best pitcher, I like our number three, four and five pitchers (Holland, Harrison, Ogando)...remember, these are young guys, none of them are in their prime. Then we have Feliz who wants to start and Perez in the minors. Four of the five of them have ace potential (will they all become aces? I highly doubt it...but I'll take my chances with them over the kind of contract CJ wants). Plus, there's some good pitchers that will be available in 2012, so if something doesn't work out, we can pick someone else up next year.

And to the person earlier in the thread saying the Rangers won't overpay for a pitcher...we offered a larger contract to Cliff Lee than the Phillies or Yankees. He just preferred Philly.

Cano-Montero...
10-24-2011, 05:59 AM
My guess is he goes to the Angels. He won't have to be the ace, he loves cali and I can't imagine the Rangers overpaying for him (aka, giving him the kind of contract he thinks he deserves). The Rangers have a lot of young pitchers and while our best pitcher may not beat your best pitcher, I like our number three, four and five pitchers (Holland, Harrison, Ogando)...remember, these are young guys, none of them are in their prime. Then we have Feliz who wants to start and Perez in the minors. Four of the five of them have ace potential (will they all become aces? I highly doubt it...but I'll take my chances with them over the kind of contract CJ wants). Plus, there's some good pitchers that will be available in 2012, so if something doesn't work out, we can pick someone else up next year.

And to the person earlier in the thread saying the Rangers won't overpay for a pitcher...we offered a larger contract to Cliff Lee than the Phillies or Yankees. He just preferred Philly.

I dont think so...

Cano-Montero...
10-24-2011, 06:01 AM
My guess is he ends up back with the rangers..The yanks wont offer him 5 years after the Burnett debacle..

Skizzik
10-24-2011, 09:08 AM
I dont think so...

Instead of just assuming you know what you're talking about, you should look at facts. The Yankees offered one contract for 7 years and $150M or a second for $138M with a 7th year player option of $16M (total value of $154M)...the Phillies gave him a contract for five years at $120M with a vesting option for a sixth year for $16M (total value of $136M)...the Rangers on the other hand offered a contract of $138M for six years with a vesting option for $23M (total value of $161M)...so, tell me which is bigger: $150M over 7 years, $154M over 7 years, $136M over 6 years or $161M over 7 years. On both total amount of money and per year basis...the Rangers offered the most.

Pinstripe pride
10-24-2011, 09:38 AM
its down to the yanks or rangers.........................which means philly will sign him last minute out of nowhere