PDA

View Full Version : Anthony wants Hornets guard Paul to join Knicks

Pages : [1] 2

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Anthony wants Hornets guard Paul to join Knicks

The NBA owns the New Orleans Hornets, but commissioner David Stern can't fine Carmelo Anthony for this one.

The tampering gag order is not in effect during the lockout. So Anthony freely admitted yesterday how delighted he would be if Hornets point guard Chris Paul bolted the Big Easy for the Big Apple.

Anthony has spent a lot of this summer hanging with Paul and even playing on his team during barnstorming exhibitions.

"If it works out and he comes here and they allow him to come here, you'll see a smile from ear to ear," Anthony said during an appearance in Greenwich Village. "It's not just me. It's everybody [in New York]. If he decides to leave New Orleans and goes somewhere else, they'll be feeling the same way I'm feeling."

Paul can be a free agent in 2012, and the Knicks could have enough cap room to sign him, pending the new salary-cap figure. Notice Anthony's phrase if "they allow him to come here."

Anthony traveled to China with Paul and was on his team in Miami for the South Florida Classic two weeks ago and in Winston-Salem, N.C., earlier this month when Paul staged an exhibition in his hometown. If the lockout drags on, they are expected to be teammates around Thanksgiving when Anthony stages a New York area all-star exhibition, possibly at the Meadowlands.

"It's fun," Anthony said of playing with Paul. "He's such a competitor, even in games we play now. He wants the games to be NBA games -- the intensity level. He wants everybody to go out and compete. It's something I've really enjoyed."

Anthony admits he has grown closer to Paul this summer, as well as with Miami's star duo of Dwyane Wade and LeBron James.

"It's been great, man," Anthony said. "This summer -- more than any -- the time we've spent together and not just with Chris. LeBron, Dwyane. Us four, it's the first time we actually worked out together. This summer brought us closer together than in the past."

Anthony acknowledged Paul has spent a lot of time in New York during the lockout, and not just because he's one of the negotiating committee members.

"He spent a lot of time here last year too but people weren't hearing about it because there was a lot of [other stuff] going on," Anthony said. "But we don't talk about [the Knicks]. . . . I'm not one to blow smoke up your [butt]. If I was talking to Chris about coming to New York, I'd tell you. It's a sensitive situation for him. I stay away from it and we have fun."

Knicks legend Earl Monroe was in Winston-Salem earlier this month for his college homecoming and attended Paul's exhibition game.

Monroe, who attended Winston-Salem College, is a family friend of Paul's. Using Paul as an example, Monroe said the young players are more business savvy than ever despite Stern's lockout goal of establishing a hard cap to make all 30 teams equal. Monroe said free agents are always going to want to play in the big markets like New York.

"It's harder than ever for small market teams to keep star players," Monroe told The Post yesterday during his promotion for Diabetes Restaurant Week in which he's challenging New York eateries to offer diabetes-friendly options. "Right now Dwight Howard may not want to stay in Orlando. If Chris Paul is not thinking about going back to New Orleans, the bigger markets always are going to be attractive. Younger players are a lot different than older players. They are a little more savvy in business issues.

"You get a situation like Miami [with the Big 3] banding together and 'Melo coming to New York," Monroe added. "It's all about winning a championship in a big market because you can drive a lot more out of that than a small market."

Monroe spoke briefly with Paul in Winston-Salem. But Paul's toast at Anthony's wedding in the summer of 2010 of forming a Big Apple 3 was a pretty good hint.

"I won't say he has his eye on his New York, but I know conversely New York has its eye on Chris," said Monroe. "If he chooses to leave New Orleans, I hope he does come here. They've spent long time waiting. It would be great with [Amar'e] Stoudemire, 'Melo and adding someone like Paul, it would be a great asset."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/melo_wants_paul_as_knick_teammate_SIrKhyjU06MA294Z 38n9SJ#ixzz1bQ9UJhD8

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/melo_wants_paul_as_knick_teammate_SIrKhyjU06MA294Z 38n9SJ#ixzz1bQ9OPX9K

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Anthony wants Hornets guard Paul to join Knicks

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/melo_wants_paul_as_knick_teammate_SIrKhyjU06MA294Z 38n9SJ#ixzz1bQ9UJhD8

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/melo_wants_paul_as_knick_teammate_SIrKhyjU06MA294Z 38n9SJ#ixzz1bQ9OPX9K

is this supposed to be new news:rolleyes:

good luck getting him with a low BRI,lol, GO OWNERS!!!

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 09:04 AM
is this supposed to be new news:rolleyes:

good luck getting him with a low BRI,lol, GO OWNERS!!!

not much else to discuss, better than some of the weird threads that have been popping up here lately...lol

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 09:05 AM
not much else to discuss, better than some of the weird threads that have been popping up here lately...lol

meh, i guess, the forum is moving slow lately

we shld try making some interactive threads like player rankings, freeagency stuff, etc to keep us going

-Kobe24-TJ19-
10-21-2011, 09:23 AM
lol, how in the hell would knicks get CP3?

Raps08-09 Champ
10-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Who wouldn't want CP3 on their team as a team mate?

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 09:26 AM

exactly, they have no trade chips, and with the BRI going down they wont have the cap

jsut like the lakers cant get howard, etc

people dont realise what the BRI going down does, they dont read enough about the technical aspects of the game in terms of salary cap, exceptions and effects this new CBA will have

they just assume the knicks have all the space in he world

sep11ie
10-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Who is Guard Paul?

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 09:29 AM
exactly, they have no trade chips, and with the BRI going down they wont have the cap

jsut like the lakers cant get howard, etc

people dont realise what the BRI going down does, they dont read enough about the technical aspects of the game in terms of salary cap, exceptions and effects this new CBA will have

I'm on the owners side, but I havent read anything that they have proposed that would prevent NY from getting CP3. if anything their "68m flex cap" would HELP NY as it would leave them with 28m in cap space.

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm on the owners side, but I havent read anything that they have proposed that would prevent NY from getting CP3. if anything their "68m flex cap" would HELP NY as it would leave them with 28m in cap space.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/bri-reduction-what-could-it-mean/

im on the owners side as well, anything that prevents super teams im for, im more of a home grown team that can add an all star thru free agency, like hte bulls, rather than artificial teams that only have 1 or 2 players they actually drafted on their roster still, ex. knicks, heat, and probably boston

Burkey3472
10-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Who is Guard Paul?

Chris Paul, he's a pretty good point guard for the Hornets, ever heard of him?

ManRam
10-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Super TEAMS!

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 09:41 AM

im on the owners side as well, anything that prevents super teams im for, im more of a home grown team that can add an all star thru free agency, like hte bulls, rather than artificial teams that only have 1 or 2 players they actually drafted on their roster still, ex. knicks, heat, and probably boston

But that 52m would be the bottom of the cap, as in teams have to spend at least that much, but the flex cap would extend to $68m or so.

So a team has to spend at least $52m, but not more than $68m or something to that effect, thats what the owners propose in a flex cap from what i understand.

If you dont do rollbacks there is no way the league would try to push a 52m hard cap as that would mean almost every team would be over the cap. And of course the players would never agree to that. I mean looking at that list you'd have 21 teams well over the cap. thats not realistic or feasible and i think the owners backed off that hard cap months ago.

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 09:44 AM
at the end of the day if players really want to team up there isn't much the NBA can do about it. but the circumstances in which players get that chance to team up are rare, so i dont think its a huge issue.

Weezy
10-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Hey I would want Chris Paul on my team too and I'm not even in the NBA.

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 09:47 AM
at the end of the day if players really want to team up there isn't much the NBA can do about it. but the circumstances in which players get that chance to team up are rare, so i dont think its a huge issue.

the league shld have the right to veto any acquisition by a vote of a board of competition

mttwlsn16
10-21-2011, 09:50 AM
but i want him on my team

PhillyFaninLA
10-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Wait a good player (highly overrated too) want a good PG to join his team...that is weird.

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 09:59 AM
lol im sensing alot of anger in this thread...

Hugbees
10-21-2011, 10:15 AM
I have a feeling this is an inevitable outcome..

Dade County
10-21-2011, 10:21 AM
the league shld have the right to veto any acquisition by a vote of a board of competition

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Explain how this would be fair:confused:

Player is a free agent, I would like to relocate my family here "Owners" no I don't think so "Player" Can I move here then? Owners, Na we don't want you in this city either, "Player" WTF!!!... So on and so on.

Are you mentally challenge?

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 10:22 AM
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

Explain how this would be fair:confused:

Player is a free agent, I would like to relocate my family here "Owners" no I don't think so "Player" Can I move here then? Owners, Na we don't want you in this city either, "Player" WTF!!!... So on and so on.

Are you mentally challenge?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

Mishmin
10-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Stop the presses.

Pierzynski4Prez
10-21-2011, 10:34 AM

New CBA, Old CBA, it doesn't matter for some of them.

Chill_Will_24
10-21-2011, 10:56 AM
If Paul wants to be in NY he will end up there one way or another. Ive learned that this league is run by the star players. Thats part of the reason were in this lockout. I think this competitive balance fight has more to do with Lebron going to MIA than ppl realize.

However this is all going under the assumption that Paul will take a big pay cut to play for NY. If Melo and Amare had taken pay cuts it would be unanimous that Paul was headed to NY. I think Melo and Amares greed might come back and bite the Knicks in the butt

Chill_Will_24
10-21-2011, 10:57 AM
I still think OKC makes the most sense for him

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 11:05 AM
If Paul wants to be in NY he will end up there one way or another. Ive learned that this league is run by the star players. Thats part of the reason were in this lockout. I think this competitive balance fight has more to do with Lebron going to MIA than ppl realize.

However this is all going under the assumption that Paul will take a big pay cut to play for NY. If Melo and Amare had taken pay cuts it would be unanimous that Paul was headed to NY. I think Melo and Amares greed might come back and bite the Knicks in the butt

no its not, if the flex cap lands at $68m as stated NY would have plenty of cap space to offer CP3 a max.

Honestly I think people try to act as if there will be some hard cap because they are afraid of NY getting CP3. but the hard cap has been off the table for several months now

juno10
10-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Who is Guard Paul?

strange first name.

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I still think OKC makes the most sense for him

probably, but he's really close to Melo & Amare and has been hanging out with Melo in NY all summer. and OKC would have to trade Westbrook which would be hard for them to do.

All signs point to NY.

Dade County
10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

I really hope so...

nickdymez
10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
meh, i guess, the forum is moving slow lately

we shld try making some interactive threads like player rankings, freeagency stuff, etc to keep us going

aka Lebron bashing threads...

todu82
10-21-2011, 11:12 AM
With a new salary cap and economic system in the NBA being implemeneted when the lockout is over I doubt you see Chris Paul go the Knicks.

kgformvp21
10-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Wait one second melo....im pretty sure the golden state warriors said they wanted him first so its only fair that he goes there

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 11:25 AM
no its not, if the flex cap lands at $68m as stated NY would have plenty of cap space to offer CP3 a max.

Honestly I think people try to act as if there will be some hard cap because they are afraid of NY getting CP3. but the hard cap has been off the table for several months now

the flex probably reffers to the cap that can be used to resign ur own players thru bird rights, and MLE, u shld stop mis reading the information, if the cap was 68 million and the knicks could "have plenty of cap space to offer cp3 a max" then i guess the bulls can sign howard http://www.hoopsworld.com/chicago-bulls-team-salary/

the flex reffers to going over the cap(which will be around 51-53 million) to resign their own players and mle players, and after that number, u wld have to pay tax im guessing

if the thing was 68million like u say, the knicks cld sign cp3, and some other players as well!:facepalm:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/new-york-knicks-team-salary/

if the cap was what last years cap was: 58 million, they wld have plenty of space, but if the cap goes to 51-53, cp3 may not sign there, so just read what ur writing b4 u postman, caus ur confusing alot of people

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 11:29 AM
the flex probably reffers to the cap that can be used to resign ur own players thru bird rights, and MLE, u shld stop mis reading the information, if the cap was 68 million and the knicks could "have plenty of cap space to offer cp3 a max" then i guess the bulls can sign howard http://www.hoopsworld.com/chicago-bulls-team-salary/

the flex reffers to going over the cap(which will be around 51-53 million) to resign their own players and mle players, and after that number, u wld have to pay tax im guessing

if the thing was 68million like u say, the knicks cld sign cp3, and some other players as well!:facepalm:

if the cap was what last years cap was: 58 million, they wld have plenty of space, but if the cap goes to 51-53, cp3 may not sign there, so just read what ur writing b4 u postman, caus ur confusing alot of people

dude NO ONE knows, its ALL speculation, i didnt hear anything about only being able to resign your own players with the flex cap. And you think NY would have a problem paying tax? why is your speculation better than anyone else's?

And no CHI would not be able to sign Howard unless he took less than max.

You really think the cap is going to be 51m with 21 teams over the cap? how much sense would that make?

3mikee_
10-21-2011, 11:31 AM
oh man.. another super team. lol..... can't wait to see where D12 lands.

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 11:33 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/news-rumors/other-news/2011/06/nba-team-owners-proposing-62-million-flex-cap-to-players/

"the league offered more details about their proposal, which would set a $62 million salary limit for all teams that could be exceeded by teams re-signing their own players to contracts (Larry Bird Rule) and mid-level exception contracts. "

so the $62m could be EXCEEDED to sign your own players, I was wrong about the $68, but at $62m NY still would have plenty to sign CP3.

Immoknight
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM

Home grown team... you know that's pretty much impossible with the draft. Just because the Bulls got INCREDIBLY LUCKY... that's actually an understatement... there is only 1 way they got that 1st pick... not saying how but a 1.7% chance at getting the 1st overall pick isn't very good.

The Knicks haven't been bad enough to get the 1st overall pick... or be lucky to get the 1st overall pick since the 80's of last year...

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 11:41 AM
http://www.slamonline.com/online/news-rumors/other-news/2011/06/nba-team-owners-proposing-62-million-flex-cap-to-players/

"the league offered more details about their proposal, which would set a $62 million salary limit for all teams that could be exceeded by teams re-signing their own players to contracts (Larry Bird Rule) and mid-level exception contracts. "

so the $62m could be EXCEEDED to sign your own players, I was wrong about the $68, but at $62m NY still would have plenty to sign CP3.

and this is based off of the prior cba

this one they are talking baout a 51 million dollar cap, so cp3 to NY isnt happening

they wld only have 8 million dollars or so according to their cap structure

so knicks fans need to stop dreaming caus any cba with the BRI anywhere near 53 is not going to work

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
dude NO ONE knows, its ALL speculation, i didnt hear anything about only being able to resign your own players with the flex cap. And you think NY would have a problem paying tax? why is your speculation better than anyone else's?

And no CHI would not be able to sign Howard unless he took less than max.

You really think the cap is going to be 51m with 21 teams over the cap? how much sense would that make?

u shld delete this,lol

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
and this is based off of the prior cba

this one they are talking baout a 51 million dollar cap, so cp3 to NY isnt happening

they wld only have 8 million dollars or so according to their cap structure

so knicks fans need to stop dreaming caus any cba with the BRI anywhere near 53 is not going to work

how is it based on the prior CBA? Thats their proposal for the new CBA. $62m flex would leave NY with about $22m in cap space.

Honestly you just sound mad about the whole thing, show me one article that has the league proposing a $51m cap. Stern as recently as last week was on the radio talking about a flex cap and stating the hard cap was off the table.

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Home grown team... you know that's pretty much impossible with the draft. Just because the Bulls got INCREDIBLY LUCKY... that's actually an understatement... there is only 1 way they got that 1st pick... not saying how but a 1.7% chance at getting the 1st overall pick isn't very good.

The Knicks haven't been bad enough to get the 1st overall pick... or be lucky to get the 1st overall pick since the 80's of last year...

the knicks have had plenty of chances to get a top pick so dont give me that, its not my fault they dont know how to draft,lol

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 11:48 AM
the knicks have had plenty of chances to get a top pick so dont give me that, its not my fault they dont know how to draft,lol

NY hasn't had a top 5 pick in 20+ years. Yes they had a SHOT at them, but they weren't as incredibly lucky as CHI was to get the #1 and get Rose. CHI has had several top 3 picks the past 10 years.

THE MTL
10-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Melo gave a very generic answer. Seriously, who wouldnt want Chris Paul on their team. Btw, I hate how the NBA is suddenly against superteams when that was all 80s basketball was about.

Boston- three HOFs including one guy who is Top 5 of ALL TIME
Philly- four HOFs
Lakers- three HOFs including one guy who is Top 5 of ALL TIME as well
Pistons- Three HOFs

Superteams are exciting lol. Pp going crazy after what Miami did, when the Spurs, Lakers, and Celtics have done it for years

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 11:56 AM
how is it based on the prior CBA? Thats their proposal for the new CBA. $62m flex would leave NY with about $22m in cap space.

Honestly you just sound mad about the whole thing, show me one article that has the league proposing a $51m cap. Stern as recently as last week was on the radio talking about a flex cap and stating the hard cap was off the table.

u still dont understand what the flex means:facepalm:

im not here to explain the difference between the flex and salary to u,i gave u the links, u have eyes, read

RekeHavoc
10-21-2011, 11:56 AM
NY hasn't had a top 5 pick in 20+ years. Yes they had a SHOT at them, but they weren't as incredibly lucky as CHI was to get the #1 and get Rose. CHI has had several top 3 picks the past 10 years.

and the bobcats unprotected pick in 2016, if u know what that means,lol:rolleyes:

nycericanguy
10-21-2011, 11:59 AM
u still dont understand what the flex means:facepalm:

im not here to explain the difference between the flex and salary to u,i gave u the links, u have eyes, read

No I think its you that doesnt understand.

The limit would be $62m for teams and their would be a minimum cap as well, and they could go over the 62m to sign their own guys. pretty clearly stated in the above link.

Sinestro
10-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Its hard as a fan to support all these players demanding trades forcing super teams and all these teams crying foul when all they need to do is manage their team better, but its also unfair to deny a player the right to play/work where he wishes idk....I can see why the NBA will continue to be locked out

SteBO
10-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Melo gave a very generic answer. Seriously, who wouldnt want Chris Paul on their team. Btw, I hate how the NBA is suddenly against superteams when that was all 80s basketball was about.

Philly- four HOFs
Pistons- Three HOFs

Superteams are exciting lol. Pp going crazy after what Miami did, when the Spurs, Lakers, and Celtics have done it for years
Bingo!

PhillyFaninLA
10-21-2011, 12:25 PM

You can't know specifics of a deal that does not exist and any deal proposed now will not be what is final. Its how negotiations go.

Also to the players and owners of all sports......if you sign a 10 year deal (CBA) with a 7 year opt out and you plan to opt out then start negotiations in year 5 meet once or twice a month and by the time year 7 and you opting out occurs you have your new deal and have been working on it for 2 years, if you don't opt out start working on a new CBA in year 7 or 8 and you'll have a new deal before it expires thus never having an expired CBA again and showing that you respect the business, the opposing side, and the fans.

oak2455
10-21-2011, 12:26 PM

Philly- four HOFs
Pistons- Three HOFs

Good post he will be a Knick one way or another:D

thenetslegend
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
umm no ****..

Punk
10-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Why is everyone bringing in cap and BRI here? We do not know any of that yet. Operating under the CBA that we had, Paul is capable of joining.

It's not like we will see a 45 million dollar hard cap that everyone was bragging about limiting Paul and Dwight from joining.

By Free agency?

BigCityofDreams
10-21-2011, 12:33 PM

Philly- four HOFs
Pistons- Three HOFs

Exactly ppl were fans of superteams back then but now it's an issue. They like superteams when it's the FO putting the team together but when it's the players ppl get wringing their hands and shaking their heads.

jeter 2
10-21-2011, 12:48 PM
Can we start celebrating?

ne3xchamps
10-21-2011, 12:50 PM
No surprise here. melo always wanted to be teammates with paul.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-21-2011, 01:08 PM
You can tell somebody in this thread is tight. Nothing is a lock to NY. But if looks like a dog, barks like a dog, walks like a dog, and smells like a dog. Guess what it is ? That toast is 2/3 true so far. Lets see what happens

SportsAndrew25
10-21-2011, 01:10 PM
I would love to have CP3 in MSG. :D

Muttman73
10-21-2011, 01:12 PM
WoW, really...

nyfinest4life
10-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Paul, melo, n amare. Can you say dynasty???????????????????? Its gonna happen. Im sure you all remember chris paul's toast to come to new york. Pal, melo, amare= best team in the nba

ewmania
10-21-2011, 01:38 PM

1. if there's no hard cap will have enough cap room for CP3

2. CP3 is the biggest reason all of this talk happened in the first place during Melo's wedding, he said me, u and amare need to go to NY and form our own big 3.... everybody laughed at new york for getting they hopes up and next melo comes :)

2 down... 1 to go

Lake_Show2416
10-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Carmelo wants arguably the best PG in the nba? that's crazy..... lol

BSplaya2121
10-21-2011, 02:06 PM
question, if the BRI goes down for the players, that would mean they are making less money for the year, wouldnt that mean that they have less money to pay the players thus resulting in salary cuts?

Avenged
10-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Of course he does. Anybody would want him.

Bruno
10-21-2011, 02:10 PM
The league will have to contract if all the top talent continues to consolidate. With or without revenue sharing, super-teams will dominate. Players will always rather be in LA, south-beach or NYC; just the way it is.

Avenged
10-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Paul/Melo/Amare trio would be absolutely nasty though!

29$JerZ
10-21-2011, 02:15 PM
The league will have to contract if all the top talent continues to consolidate. With or without revenue sharing, super-teams will dominate. Players will always rather be in LA, south-beach or NYC; just the way it is.

Tis the trend

If Paul wants to go to NY though he would have to come as a Free Agent signing though. Knicks assets are minimal after the Melo trade and I doubt a NBA owned Hornets would want Paul to stregthen an already huge Market like NY and destroy any hope for The Hornets.

29$JerZ
10-21-2011, 02:17 PM

If NY could find a Chandler/Oden type Center the current cast would be awesome without Paul
That's really the Key for NY to make solid noise. Paul helps the lack of role players by himself but a Center does so much more fir what NY wants accomplish.

Bruno
10-21-2011, 02:20 PM

haha, I'd love to see it. If I were an east-coast guy I'd be NYK all the way. Laker fan, Knick sympathizer.

Bruno
10-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Tis the trend

If Paul wants to go to NY though he would have to come as a Free Agent signing though. Knicks assets are minimal after the Melo trade and I doubt a NBA owned Hornets would want Paul to stregthen an already huge Market like NY and destroy any hope for The Hornets.

Totally. I don't see why he wouldn't. If Paul can't pair with Dwight, I'd love to see him in the big apple.

SteBO
10-21-2011, 02:34 PM
I want CP3 to go to NY. I want the NY-MIA rivalry back in full swing!!!!

Punk
10-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Again, people need to understand. The market is big but at the end of the day these guys are in their PRIME. There is not going to be any more markets to sign with besides the LA Clippers and Toronto (which IMO is a big market).

Each big market has superstars, so this trend cannot continue until there is space for more and it won't be possible.

There is alot of players that won't demand trades to other markets like Iggy, Granger, Jefferson, etc. So, the whole "this is madness, they are ruining the small markets!!!" is dumb logic.

Kobe/Pau/Bynum in LA, Griffin/Gordon in LA, Rose/Boozer in CHI, LeBron/Wade/Bosh in Miami, Dirk/Terry in Dallas and Melo/Amare/Paul in NY. Where else is there for other "stars" to go after 2012?

It's a phase. It's great for basketball but people like to complain about it instead of looking at teams coming up from small markets with the same competitive ability as these super teams like OKC, Memphis, Indiana.

Kashmir13579
10-21-2011, 02:44 PM
I want CP3 to go to NY. I want the NY-MIA rivalry back in full swing!!!!

My mouth is watering right now imagining this.

THE GIPPER
10-21-2011, 02:52 PM
I'd much rather see dwight and cp3 together.

HouRealCoach
10-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Well if he does go to NYK people cant get mad

NOH had Collison, Thornton, West, Chandler, Peja(16mil expiring) and ended up with their crappy team now

Do you think Chris Paul wants to stay there?

nate2usmc
10-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Umm yea, the NBA should be contracted. Hate to sound negative (but that's me :D). NBA is a lot more appealing WORLDWIDE with superteams (through draft or FA) or loaded teams like Dallas. CP3 better get his before he gets old (STAT). How much more appealing is STAT now compared to when he was in Phoenix? Ppl would bring up Nash. What about with Melo onboard? Stat still did his thing. I will say this though: If Stat & Melo want a championship caliber team, they will need to re-structure their contracts CP3 or not.

feddi420
10-21-2011, 03:19 PM
a

PhillyFaninLA
10-21-2011, 03:20 PM
KNICKS FANS I have a question for. I'm being serious with this question. Why would you want CP3 over Deron Williams? Before answering consider the following.

- I'll start this by saying CP3 is the best PG in the NBA but a good margin IMO
- Players that get injured as often as CP3 tend to not stop getting injured and he gets serious injuries not miss a week
- CP3 plays more of a finesse game then Deron and CP3 is flashier and a better scorer then Deron
- Deron has been healthier
- Deron IMO fits the style of play of the Knicks better then CP3 even if both are healthy, CP3 fits better on a team like OKC then NYK
- He is a gritty hard nosed defender that is as clutch and as good a passer, he can get his points when he needs to as well. Deron fits the Knicks style and might even be a better compliment to Amar and Melo and is a better defender then CP3 and the Knicks could use that at point more than CP3's overall game.

With all that said back to my question Why would you want CP3 over Deron Williams consider your roster and your style of play?

PhillyFaninLA
10-21-2011, 03:20 PM
a

Valid point but I was thinking m

Heediot
10-21-2011, 03:22 PM
24 nba teams would be sweet, but who to contract???

feddi420
10-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Valid point but I was thinking m
You and I, we think alike.

PhillyFaninLA
10-21-2011, 03:27 PM
24 nba teams would be sweet, but who to contract???

We have 30 teams if I remember correctly I'd get rid of the following because I think they are less important historically then the other teams. No offense to anyone intended but here is my thinking:

Hornets, Bobcats, Raptors...now its getting tricky for me so maybe....Cavs, Kings, and either the Wizards or the Magic and you get 24 teams left.

You can't get rid of the following:

Knicks, Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, Bulls, Spurs, and Pistons....I think you can make a strong case to keep or get rid of everyone else.

NYman15
10-21-2011, 03:53 PM
If the CBA allows it, I think Cp3 will end up in NY. As much as people laughed at the toast at Melo's wedding last year, all of a sudden 2 of those 3 players are in NY. You never know, it could happen.

Dade County
10-21-2011, 03:58 PM
We have 30 teams if I remember correctly I'd get rid of the following because I think they are less important historically then the other teams. No offense to anyone intended but here is my thinking:

Hornets, Bobcats, Raptors...now its getting tricky for me so maybe....Cavs, Kings, and either the Wizards or the Magic and you get 24 teams left.

You can't get rid of the following:

Knicks, Lakers, Celtics, Sixers, Bulls, Spurs, and Pistons....I think you can make a strong case to keep or get rid of everyone else.

The Magic just built an arena, what do they do with that?

PhillyFaninLA
10-21-2011, 04:32 PM
The Magic just built an arena, what do they do with that?

In the event the league went from 30 to 24 teams then you would have 6 arenas without an NBA regardless of how old the arena is. What would they do with them?

College Basketball, hockey (college in this case), concerts, circus, events, large seminars, anything that would use a big space.

I like how you ignored the other teams I mentioned arenas existence. Old or new arenas would still need to be used and a use would always be found.

GhostfaceDrilla
10-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Well he isn't good enough to carry a team, even with Amare on it.... This is also old news.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Well he isn't good enough to carry a team, even with Amare on it.... This is also old news.

only Dirk is right. He carried aa team with David West ...:confused::confused:

Dade County
10-21-2011, 05:02 PM
In the event the league went from 30 to 24 teams then you would have 6 arenas without an NBA regardless of how old the arena is. What would they do with them?

College Basketball, hockey (college in this case), concerts, circus, events, large seminars, anything that would use a big space.

I like how you ignored the other teams I mentioned arenas existence. Old or new arenas would still need to be used and a use would always be found.

Actually, I didn't care about the other teams... and just like you, I do believe that the league should contract.

I just think Orlando should stay in the League, I'm from Florida... I have bias written all over this post:D

Off with their HEAD

Cavs, Hornets, Bobcats, Kings, Clippers, Toronto, Minnesota

If 4 out of these 7 teams can be contracted, I think the league can be more competitive.

Yeah,... I see hate coming my way :facepalm:

PhillyFaninLA
10-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Actually, I didn't care about the other teams... and just like you, I do believe that the league should contract.

I just think Orlando should stay in the League, I'm from Florida... I have bias written all over this post:D

Off with their HEAD

Cavs, Hornets, Bobcats, Kings, Clippers, Toronto, Minnesota

If 4 out of these 7 teams can be contracted, I think the league can be more competitive.

Yeah,... I see hate coming my way :facepalm:

If you notice the Magic was the last team I mention I was thinking the Clippers but I didn't pick them because the talent they have could make them a very historically significant team if things break right for them. The Magic had 1 great part of there history (when they had the Hardaway's, not sure if they played together but that is the general time I'm thinking of) and if Dwight leaves now they are an organization of almost's and the Clippers are historically worse then that but have a team that could be something special if they make the right trade and develop properly.

But keep in mind I also said no offense to anyone because I knew no matter what teams I stated some group of people would be offended.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-21-2011, 05:21 PM
KNICKS FANS I have a question for. I'm being serious with this question. Why would you want CP3 over Deron Williams? Before answering consider the following.

- Players that get injured as often as CP3 tend to not stop getting injured and he gets serious injuries not miss a week
- CP3 plays more of a finesse game then Deron and CP3 is flashier and a better scorer then Deron
- Deron IMO fits the style of play of the Knicks better then CP3 even if both are healthy, CP3 fits better on a team like OKC then NYK
- He is a gritty hard nosed defender that is as clutch and as good a passer, he can get his points when he needs to as well. Deron fits the Knicks style and might even be a better compliment to Amar and Melo and is a better defender then CP3 and the Knicks could use that at point more than CP3's overall game.

With all that said back to my question Why would you want CP3 over Deron Williams consider your roster and your style of play?

Plan B if he doesnt stay in Brooklyn. Id be happy with either one. I think its a friendship reason why Melo and Stat are lobbying for Paul. His health is a concern but the longevity of playing on cruise control with 2 other stars should help him. Dwade was an injury risk going all out by himself in Mia. Playing with Bron & bosh he can pick his spots rather than going 100mph every game all season long.

GhostfaceDrilla
10-21-2011, 05:23 PM
only Dirk is right. He carried aa team with David West ...:confused::confused:

I'm talking about Carmelo Anthony....

NYman15
10-21-2011, 05:27 PM
I'd have no problem with D-will coming to the Knicks, but I think he's staying in Brooklyn.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm talking about Carmelo Anthony....

Really.. I think he did a decent job. NY shouldve won 2 games in that Bos series. One loss by a missed call on a game winner which the NBA admitted. And the 2nd game where he scored 42pt 17bs 6asts and Jeffries messed up the game winning basket. That was without Amare and Billups. Melo has flaws but leadership isnt one of them as long as we have a good floor general. When you're that good you feel you can always take over a game. Before Dirk won his chip many people said the same for Dirk.

Evolution23
10-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Blame Lebron for creating a super team. Don't blame the Knicks for trying to match the talent to win.

Evolution23
10-21-2011, 06:24 PM

Wait so Cp3, Amare, and Melo isn't good enough to win a ring?

GhostfaceDrilla
10-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Wait so Cp3, Amare, and Melo isn't good enough to win a ring?

Say we played eachother, I wouldn't feel that scared. Paul would be the only one to scare me.

And it depends on the pieces. Will you have a defensive low post presence? Any good defenders? Scorers off the bench?

Paul
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Turiaf?

with Fields as the only good bench player won't win a ring I can guarantee you that

Slimsim
10-21-2011, 07:16 PM
say we played eachother, i wouldn't feel that scared. Paul would be the only one to scare me.

And it depends on the pieces. Will you have a defensive low post presence? Any good defenders? Scorers off the bench?

Paul
shumpert
melo
amare
turiaf?

With fields as the only good bench player won't win a ring i can guarantee you that

mle ?

GhostfaceDrilla
10-21-2011, 08:24 PM
mle ?

That's what I am saying. If you guys get Paul, you will still need a dominant defensive low post presence like Chandler but he is re-signing with us. You will also need a few defenders (maybe Shumpert turns to be a very good defender), 2 or 3 scorers off of the bench, and another big man.

First off, I would make Fields the 6th man and start Shumpert if he is as good of a defender as he says he is. I am drawing a blank on ya'lls money but Nene should be the first guy you target after getting Paul (if you get Paul).

Miami is going to be the best in the East, Chicago is going to be contenders for years and depending on what Dwight does, New Jersey could possibly become a huge threat. Orlando is done once Howard leaves, I think Boston is getting to the point where they will start slipping.

Power Rankings for this upcoming season would be:

1. Mavericks
2. Heat
3. Lakers
4. Bulls
5. Thunder
6. Celtics
7. Grizzlies
8. Spurs
9. Knicks
10. Hawks

nystandup
10-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Say we played eachother, I wouldn't feel that scared. Paul would be the only one to scare me.

Paul
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Turiaf?

with Fields as the only good bench player won't win a ring I can guarantee you that

How would you only be afraid of Paul? Melo is unguardable.

Punk
10-21-2011, 10:28 PM

Paul
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Turiaf?

Look, I like the Mavs but winning a title doesn't mean blowing smoke up...you know where.

Has Dirk ever defended? No. Rebounded consistently above 9? No. Chandler is a good presence but Dwayne Casey was the reason why they had better defense as well.

There is no reason why we cannot pull a Miami and sign a bunch of defensive role playing bigs like Dalembert, Foster. We already have Turiaf, Harrelson who is a Nick Collison/Pryzbilla type of center. Jerome Jordan as well who is a long version of JaVale McGee but less athletic.

Paul/Douglas/Stone
Shumpert (who very well can turn out to be a star)/Walker
Melo/Fields/Williams (shawne)
Amare/Williams
*Insert big*/Turiaf/Harrelson/Jordan

Is good enough to contend depending on how our defense is and how chemistry comes together. Amare and Melo are comitted to playing defense, trust me.

blahblahyoutoo
10-21-2011, 10:35 PM

Philly- four HOFs
Pistons- Three HOFs

how exactly did the spurs form a super team?
and please don't tell me you consider drafting the same as signing a star player.

as for the rest of the teams you listed, a lot of the HOF talent was also acquired via draft.
a big difference when compared to signing mega stars, who forced their way out by demanding a trade.

blahblahyoutoo
10-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Paul, melo, n amare. Can you say dynasty???????????????????? Its gonna happen. Im sure you all remember chris paul's toast to come to new york. Pal, melo, amare= best team in the nba

i guarantee they will not win any championships with these 3.
they're not going anywhere without a defensive big that can rebound.

GhostfaceDrilla
10-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Look, I like the Mavs but winning a title doesn't mean blowing smoke up...you know where.

Has Dirk ever defended? No. Rebounded consistently above 9? No. Chandler is a good presence but Dwayne Casey was the reason why they had better defense as well.

There is no reason why we cannot pull a Miami and sign a bunch of defensive role playing bigs like Dalembert, Foster. We already have Turiaf, Harrelson who is a Nick Collison/Pryzbilla type of center. Jerome Jordan as well who is a long version of JaVale McGee but less athletic.

Paul/Douglas/Stone
Shumpert (who very well can turn out to be a star)/Walker
Melo/Fields/Williams (shawne)
Amare/Williams
*Insert big*/Turiaf/Harrelson/Jordan

Is good enough to contend depending on how our defense is and how chemistry comes together. Amare and Melo are comitted to playing defense, trust me.

First off, saying Dirk doesn't defend then going on to say Melo and Amare are commited to defense is ridiculous. Amare is one of the worst defenders ever and Melo although he may be good, we on't know, never tries. Dirk is an above average defender, trust me. Yeah D. Casey was a big reason, but having Tyson Chandler down low was the biggest reason.

The Knicks have 2 talented players who don't play defense at all. If they get Paul and start getting good role players that fit, then they will be a threat.

GhostfaceDrilla
10-21-2011, 10:37 PM
How would you only be afraid of Paul? Melo is unguardable.

He isn't nearly as unguardable as LeBron, Wade, Dirk.

Wade>You
10-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Dwight Howard would make the Knicks the sickest Frontcourt in NBA history, anyone agree?

Either way, CP3 would be just as great an addition.

naps
10-21-2011, 10:53 PM
NY would be mad fun to watch with CP3 but for some reason that team doesn't sound scary in the playoffs. May be as long as Mike D'Antonie remains as the coach my feeling won't change. NY should seriously think about a coaching change if they wanna win a championship (Phoenix all over again).

Da Knicks
10-21-2011, 11:13 PM

Wrong, Melo is the hardest player to defend because of this mid range game the only other player close to him is Dirk. Maybe Kobe but he is old now Lebron and Wade have shakey jumpers and fizzle in the 4th quarter where melo and dirk are money.

blahblahyoutoo
10-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Wrong, Melo is the hardest player to defend because of this mid range game the only other player close to him is Dirk. Maybe Kobe but he is old now Lebron and Wade have shakey jumpers and fizzle in the 4th quarter where melo and dirk are money.

melo's outside shooting is suspect and his 3P% is 32%.
he's not particularly fast or athletic.

dirk isn't athletic either, but he's 7ft and can shoot from anywhere on the floor his fadeaway can't be stopped.

dirk > melo

Team*Chicago
10-22-2011, 01:38 AM
Who wouldn't want CP3 on their team as a team mate?

:cool: Me. I wouldn't because I have an PG on my team that's better than Chris Paul. Putting him on my favorite team to replace the starting PG would be a down grade.

Team*Chicago
10-22-2011, 02:01 AM

:speechless: Everyone that's a non-Bulls fan wouldn't want that to happen because that's an unbeatable team right there and other superteams wouldn't be able to beat it and that means the Bulls would guaranteed to win the next 6-8 championships. But you are right about the rest of your statements though and I agree with them. If the Knicks can get Chris than we can get Dwight, the door do swing both ways for every team and the Knicks fans think they can snag up any or every allstar they want and thinking the cba and salary cap won't effect them at all like it does with every other team in the league.

thenetslegend
10-22-2011, 02:04 AM
:speechless: Everyone that's a non-Bulls fan wouldn't want that to happen because that's an unbeatable team right there and other superteams wouldn't be able to beat it and that means the Bulls would guaranteed to win the next 6-8 championships.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

naps
10-22-2011, 02:05 AM

You are living with fantasies or in the past. I didn't check Wade's but LeBron was better than Melo from everywhere on the court inside the arc last year. Wade and LeBron caused more troubles for opponents or more success for their own teams with their offense throughout their careers than Melo.

MJ-BULLS
10-22-2011, 02:22 AM
MJ-BULLS wants Lakers SG Kobe Bryant and Magic's Dwight Howard C to join Bulls.

oak2455
10-22-2011, 02:25 AM
:cool: Me. I wouldn't because I have an PG on my team that's better than Chris Paul. Putting him on my favorite team to replace the starting PG would be a down grade.

Hmmmm Paul is a better PG and that's that:D

nystandup
10-22-2011, 02:43 AM

that's your opinion and imo i'd rather have Carmelo Anthony with the ball in his hands in a big spot of a game over anybody in the league besides MAYBE Kobe at this point in his career.

Don't you rememebr how stupid Melo made Lebron look when they played in Miami? I believe he also took on the responsibility of guarding the Lebron at the end of a game. That is who I want on my team. Not a player who is going to shy away and dissapear during the big moments of the game, just sayin.

Melo's mid range game is better than Lebron's. idc what statistics say. Just watch them play and tell me different. Melo's repetior in the mid range game is untouchable. Melo is also one of the best when he shoots with a hand in his face ala Kobe. Cant say the same for Lebron. Dirk def can with that sweet fade away.

abe_froman
10-22-2011, 02:47 AM

eh...
you could always move rose to sg and go to an undersized backcourt

but to the main point.is this news? we've known about this for about a year,and who wouldnt want him on their team

IBleedPurple
10-22-2011, 02:59 AM
Old news, and not likely

oak2455
10-22-2011, 09:15 AM
But the post did say Howard though. What do you have say about since you made yourself look like an idiot. Plus Bulls fans weren't the only fan base that made fun of the heat for that.

:p That's you opinion but the fact is Rose is the best PG in the NBA rather you like it or not.

That's everybody's opinion CP3 is better than Rose

allSUAVE
10-22-2011, 10:26 AM
CP3 n Amare my gawd

GhostfaceDrilla
10-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Umm, Dirk has the greatest mid-range game in the history of the NBA. Melo doesn't even come close to Dirk's shooting ability anywhere on the floor. Dirk is hands down the most unguardable player and it isn't close...

GhostfaceDrilla
10-22-2011, 02:36 PM
that's your opinion and imo i'd rather have Carmelo Anthony with the ball in his hands in a big spot of a game over anybody in the league besides MAYBE Kobe at this point in his career.

Don't you rememebr how stupid Melo made Lebron look when they played in Miami? I believe he also took on the responsibility of guarding the Lebron at the end of a game. That is who I want on my team. Not a player who is going to shy away and dissapear during the big moments of the game, just sayin.

Melo's mid range game is better than Lebron's. idc what statistics say. Just watch them play and tell me different. Melo's repetior in the mid range game is untouchable. Melo is also one of the best when he shoots with a hand in his face ala Kobe. Cant say the same for Lebron. Dirk def can with that sweet fade away.

Dirk is the most clutch player in the NBA right now hands down. Statistically, Melo would be second but if you just watch the games, Dirk easily takes that spot. His 4th quarters in the playoffs were unreal, and he's been doing this for 7 or 8 years now.

nystandup
10-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Dirk is the most clutch player in the NBA right now hands down. Statistically, Melo would be second but if you just watch the games, Dirk easily takes that spot. His 4th quarters in the playoffs were unreal, and he's been doing this for 7 or 8 years now.

exactly, so what I'm saying is I dont get how you can say CP3 is the only guy you would be afraid of on a team of CP3 , Melo, and Stat if Melo is the second most clutch player in the league and he is pretty much right behind Dirk in terms of range and shooting from anywhere on the floor.

fishfan79
10-22-2011, 03:35 PM
With the rule changes there is no way this will be able to happen. They are looking to stop more then 2 stars on a team and not see power houses like the heat or lakers be built up. So I dont see this one happening.

GhostfaceDrilla
10-22-2011, 04:15 PM
exactly, so what I'm saying is I dont get how you can say CP3 is the only guy you would be afraid of on a team of CP3 , Melo, and Stat if Melo is the second most clutch player in the league and he is pretty much right behind Dirk in terms of range and shooting from anywhere on the floor.

I'm not too concerned because Marion/Butler would be guarding Melo. In a series vs us with Amare and co. guarding Dirk, Dirk would put up over 30 ppg in the series. With our defense on Melo, I could see him putting up like 22 ppg. That said, I could easily see Paul putting up 27/13/5, he kills us no matter what.

And Melo has a good mid range but his mid range is no where near Dirk's. When Dirk shoots a 15-17 footer, it is almost 100% guaranteed, that's how good Dirk is.

Going back to my earlier post, even if you get Paul, you still need a very good center and some role players.

Evolution23
10-22-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm not too concerned because Marion/Butler would be guarding Melo. In a series vs us with Amare and co. guarding Dirk, Dirk would put up over 30 ppg in the series. With our defense on Melo, I could see him putting up like 22 ppg. That said, I could easily see Paul putting up 27/13/5, he kills us no matter what.

And Melo has a good mid range but his mid range is no where near Dirk's. When Dirk shoots a 15-17 footer, it is almost 100% guaranteed, that's how good Dirk is.

Going back to my earlier post, even if you get Paul, you still need a very good center and some role players.

Who's gona stop Stat though? BTW I heard Chandler is pretty much gone this free agency, so who's gona stop all the easy layups and dunks inside?

GhostfaceDrilla
10-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Who's gona stop Stat though? BTW I heard Chandler is pretty much gone this free agency, so who's gona stop all the easy layups and dunks inside?

Where have you heard that? Chandler is about 85-90% sure to re-sign with us. We just won a ring and with Cuban, we will be able to re-sign him. Either Butler or Barea ( or both) will be gone. Chandler will be a Maverick for at least 4 more seasons I can guarantee you that.

Marion can do a decent job on Stat and Chandler can stop Amare down low. Amare is primarily a jump shooter now and he's decent at that. If they fall they fall, if they don't they dont. Dirk can at least stay on him at the top of the key. If he drives then he has Chandler or Haywood to go through.

Evolution23
10-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Where have you heard that? Chandler is about 85-90% sure to re-sign with us. We just won a ring and with Cuban, we will be able to re-sign him. Either Butler or Barea ( or both) will be gone. Chandler will be a Maverick for at least 4 more seasons I can guarantee you that.

Marion can do a decent job on Stat and Chandler can stop Amare down low. Amare is primarily a jump shooter now and he's decent at that. If they fall they fall, if they don't they dont. Dirk can at least stay on him at the top of the key. If he drives then he has Chandler or Haywood to go through.

Chandler wants a bigger check. All the sources i've heard said he wants 7-10 million per season. Dallas probably won't match that.

beasted86
10-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Chandler wants a bigger check. All the sources i've heard said he wants 7-10 million per season. Dallas probably won't match that.

So he's going to sign with the Knicks for $5M?

beasted86
10-22-2011, 08:22 PM
All I want to know is how many Knick fans think Chris Paul is going to sign a contract that pays him half what Carmelo & Amare make?

29$JerZ
10-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Where that come from?
Dalembert and Foster is who NY will likely target.

Evolution23
10-22-2011, 09:01 PM

I never said anything about Chandler on the Knicks

Evolution23
10-22-2011, 09:02 PM
All I want to know is how many Knick fans think Chris Paul is going to sign a contract that pays him half what Carmelo & Amare make?

We have to wait and see how the new CBA turns out. As of now the Knicks can offer CP3 a max deal.

Quietmoney
10-22-2011, 09:47 PM
I read all these post and chuckle to myself... Same people saying that the Knicks couldn't get Melo because they didn't have enough assets are now going to tell me that we won't be getting Cp3. Bottom line is this, he's gonna go where he wants to go. There is nothing the Hornets can do about it. He will be a free agent in a year and can sign for whatever he's willing to accept. What I do know is that he wants to win and will not got to a team that won't be a contender. Besides all of that, he's the one that made the toast at Melo's wedding, not none of these Knick fans on PSD. So when we say that he'll be a Knick after that, how can you blame us?? And we already have 2/3 of that toast...

Quietmoney
10-22-2011, 09:53 PM
The league has been putting these teams together for years now! The one time a player actually wants to go where he may when he's a free agent, it's a problem?? How many times players that are happy with their team and where they are, wake up to an edition of sportscenter to find out that they've been traded without even a phone call? You guys think that's fair?? They say it's just nature of the game and that it's business at the end of the day and not a matter of loyalty or personal preferences. For all you small market fans, your gonna have to deal with it!

NYman15
10-22-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't know if Cp3 will be a Knick, but I think there's a decent chance he will be. The CBA does play a big role in this, but a lot of things come into play. I don't know what will happen, but the thought of Cp3 running the pick n roll with Amare and Melo alongside, that team would be very dangerous and very fun to watch on offense.

OaklandsFinest
10-22-2011, 10:20 PM
I would rather see Dwight Howard team up with Chris Paul in New Orleans with Trevor Ariza. To me that would be way doper than failing with the knicks.. As much as I love Melo and Amare, I'm not hating, but they both are dead spots in an offense.. You can run pick and roll with Amare, but Melo is not nearly good enough at spot up shooting and catching it off a screen to compliment that style of play. I think maybe the Knicks need Stat or Melo but both of them bog down an offense, especially Dantoni's. But I think if the more REALLY good teams the better. I think a CP3 and D12 team would bring competitiveness to the Western Conference and spread out the wealth of talent.

GhostfaceDrilla
10-22-2011, 11:45 PM

We will EASILY match that.... For the 2nd best defensive center in the NBA who racks up double doubles and is an anchor for an elite defense. He wants to be a Maverick and we want him as well.

Team*Chicago
10-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Hmmmm Paul is a better PG and that's that:D

That's everybody's opinion CP3 is better than Rose

:p http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661774

Chill_Will_24
10-23-2011, 07:25 PM
:p http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661774

:laugh: :facepalm:

JEDean89
10-23-2011, 08:02 PM
donnie left us in a good position. right now most of what is said is moot because of the new cba, but i find it hard to imagine that the new cba will have a hard cap that forbids people spending more than 60 million. With a 2-1 luxury in place and a 50 mill hard cap, plus revenue sharing the lakers would basically be giving all of their profit away, i don't see that happen. the fact is small market teams are not what make the nba famous. sure every once in a while there is a team that pulls the cinderella story but more than not it is a powerhouse team in a big market over the cap. Competitive balance is something that will never happen. There are not enough superstars in the league to go around, and this is a 5 man game, where 1 player can completely take over. Right now unless the cba drops the cap a lot, we CAN offer cp3 a solid contract. Amensty clause to balkman and in picking up toney douglases option gives us 42 in contracts for 2012-2013. That will leave us 18 mill to give cp3 in his first year. We then throw an MLE at any decent center, the bulls were a force with Luc Longley at their center. Uses bird rights on Shawne Williams and Landry Fields, and we have a team. I think the new cba will likely make it so that a star will have to choose between making the max amount of money, and playing for the team of his dream. It will be likely that Paul won't be able to get a 20 million dollar contract on the knicks. Paul to the knicks would have much more value to the NBA than paul on the hornets. i don't like the truth but if the league could be more competitive if some of the larger market teams would stop sucking (clips, nets, sixers, pistons, wizards.) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_United_States_Metropolitan_Statistical_Ar eas is a list of the largest marketable areas in the us. you will notice that a lot of "small market" teams, are really just "uncaptured" markets. its why okc does well in such a small market, they have converted a larger % of that market into basketball fans. obviously new york and la hold distinct advantages, but that advantage weakens with revenue sharing. Have the kings move to either Seattle or Vegas, and start capturing these open markets.

flimflamman
10-23-2011, 08:17 PM
One can argue that to insure competetive balance is to have to allow teams to be allowed to form super teams. Some teams like Miami and Boston have benefitted from them how can you now tell other teams you cant take that route if you are willing to lawfully move in that direction ?

flimflamman
10-23-2011, 08:34 PM
Also Paul likely is willing to give up millions to leave NO to.play in a better situation with better players to try for a ring. This happened i nthe past with good players who take less to play for a front runner. Paul as a free agent can go anywhere and if he comes to a team like the Knicks watch his exposure and endorsements grow. A fair deal can be offered along with two other superstars, young players like Shumpert, Douglas, a Mle,young bigs like Jerome Jordan and Jorts, and the Knicks finally get something for all the crappy years in which they shared millions with the league as they were often taxed due to their contracts

imagesrdecievin
10-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Also Paul likely is willing to give up millions to leave NO to.play in a better situation with better players to try for a ring. This happened i nthe past with good players who take less to play for a front runner. Paul as a free agent can go anywhere and if he comes to a team like the Knicks watch his exposure and endorsements grow. A fair deal can be offered along with two other superstars, young players like Shumpert, Douglas, a Mle,young bigs like Jerome Jordan and Jorts, and the Knicks finally get something for all the crappy years in which they shared millions with the league as they were often taxed due to their contracts

You would have to wait a year for the MLE (at best). Under the current CBA - a MLE is only available if you start the offseason under the cap. You can't have the cap to sign CP3 as well as use a MLE the same season.

Also Douglas has an option for 2 mill that season. If exercised that's 2 mill less that can be offered to CP3. A lot of the calculations that Knicks fans have been throwing out there as evidence that CP3 can be signed are assuming that option will not be picked up.

flimflamman
10-23-2011, 09:02 PM
You would have to wait a year for the MLE (at best). Under the current CBA - a MLE is only available if you start the offseason under the cap. You can't have the cap to sign CP3 as well as use a MLE the same season.

Also Douglas has an option for 2 mill that season. If exercised that's 2 mill less that can be offered to CP3. A lot of the calculations that Knicks fans have been throwing out there as evidence that CP3 can be signed are assuming that option will not be picked up.

In that case we get Paul and not the MLE. I can live with that

imagesrdecievin
10-23-2011, 09:09 PM
In that case we get Paul and not the MLE. I can live with that

I still have my doubts about whether that can really happen.

When the Miami trio took a paycut to play together - they all took relatively close to the same salary. It was definitely well thought out.

Amare and Melo maxed out at around 20 mill per - is CP3 going to be okay with 10-14?

I know he can make a lot more in endorsements - but will his ego completely ignore the fact that while being the best player on the team he will be making around 10 mill less a year?

No one knows for sure -not even Paul until he is presented with the final numbers and has to leave a giant pile of money on the table.

da ThRONe
10-23-2011, 09:19 PM
I would rather see Dwight Howard team up with Chris Paul in New Orleans with Trevor Ariza. To me that would be way doper than failing with the knicks.. As much as I love Melo and Amare, I'm not hating, but they both are dead spots in an offense.. You can run pick and roll with Amare, but Melo is not nearly good enough at spot up shooting and catching it off a screen to compliment that style of play. I think maybe the Knicks need Stat or Melo but both of them bog down an offense, especially Dantoni's. But I think if the more REALLY good teams the better. I think a CP3 and D12 team would bring competitiveness to the Western Conference and spread out the wealth of talent.

Despite coming off as a homer I have been saying this. Other than going to Brooklyn to play with D. Will for the market size. Playing in New Orleans from a basketball stand point makes the most sense. We have plenty of cap and roster space to build a team around them. Imagine having the consensus best PG and C in the game on the same team. Has this ever happened before?

Dade County
10-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Despite coming off as a homer I have been saying this. Other than going to Brooklyn to play with D. Will for the market size. Playing in New Orleans from a basketball stand point makes the most sense. We have plenty of cap and roster space to build a team around them. Imagine having the consensus best PG and C in the game on the same team. Has this ever happened before?

If Howard leaves the Magic, I hope he lands in the N.O, with Cp3... But i feel that if wants rings on his fingers he should go to the knicks, and team up with Melo & Stat.

MELO 15
10-23-2011, 10:42 PM
he isn't nearly as unguardable as lebron, wade, dirk.

u must be out your mind if u think lebron wade or dirk, who by the way is going to slow down next year, can honestly say are bigger threats offensively than melo, not being a homer but melo can beat u in more ways than one, he is the best all around offensive player in the game, period. And what makes the cp3, melo amare trio better than the heat is that the knicks trio all play differnt style of ball, cp3 being probably the best distributor in the game, melo being the best all around offensive player in the game, and amare being arguably the best pf in the game today, the heat trio on the other hand have two players in lebrick and wade, who pretty much play the same style of ball, both are slashers and both play above the rim, witch makes it hard for the two to decide on who is gonna end up with the ball during critical times of the game, bosh is soft and like amare cant play d, and cant play with his back to the basket, settling for alot of jumpers instead of being down horsing it with the big boys. So in the long run, the knicks current trio of billups, melo and amare beat the heat trio, can u imagine having cp3 instead of billups, no way the knicks lose to the heat.

Twista
10-23-2011, 10:45 PM
^If Melo is the best offensive player in the game, I'm the queen of England

da ThRONe
10-23-2011, 10:46 PM
If Howard leaves the Magic, I hope he lands in the N.O, with Cp3... But i feel that if wants rings on his fingers he should go to the knicks, and team up with Melo & Stat.

That may not been an option if the CBA is one that goes the owners way once NBA business resumes.

Dade County
10-23-2011, 10:56 PM
That may not been an option if the CBA is one that goes the owners way once NBA business resumes.

The price of teaming up with other super stars is, sacrificing money. So when Howard becomes a free agent, he can sigh anywhere he wants...

Don't underestimate these guys... They do not what to be underneath the HEAT shadow for the next 5 - 7yrs. History will not be kind to them.

These players are a new breed, not like the old school players ( and it's those same old school players (ringless) that are sending hate towards these current Nba guys.

MELO 15
10-23-2011, 10:59 PM
^If Melo is the best offensive player in the game, I'm the queen of England

Hello queen of england, and by the way, I said best all around offensive player in the game. Again hello queen of england, welcome to psd

Dade County
10-23-2011, 11:08 PM
u must be out your mind if u think lebron wade or dirk, who by the way is going to slow down next year, can honestly say are bigger threats offensively than melo, not being a homer but melo can beat u in more ways than one, he is the best all around offensive player in the game, period. And what makes the cp3, melo amare trio better than the heat is that the knicks trio all play differnt style of ball, cp3 being probably the best distributor in the game, melo being the best all around offensive player in the game, and amare being arguably the best pf in the game today, the heat trio on the other hand have two players in lebrick and wade, who pretty much play the same style of ball, both are slashers and both play above the rim, witch makes it hard for the two to decide on who is gonna end up with the ball during critical times of the game, bosh is soft and like amare cant play d, and cant play with his back to the basket, settling for alot of jumpers instead of being down horsing it with the big boys. So in the long run, the knicks current trio of billups, melo and amare beat the heat trio, can u imagine having cp3 instead of billups, no way the knicks lose to the heat.

They would be more offensively balance, but no where near a better BIG 3.
Melo lacks intangibles, if he's offense is not on, he really can't change the out come of the game, with his other skills.

Having Wade & Lbj on the court, causes problems for offenses.

MELO 15
10-23-2011, 11:14 PM
They would be more offensively balance, but no where near a better BIG 3.
Melo lacks intangibles, if he's offense is not on, he really can't change the out come of the game, with his other skills.

Having Wade & Lbj on the court, causes problems for offenses.

Thats where cp3 comes in, he makes players so much better, and not to mention he's not to shabby offensively as well, people sleep on melo's D, but he really is an underrated defender

Twista
10-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Hello queen of england, and by the way, I said best all around offensive player in the game. Again hello queen of england, welcome to psd

How can Melo be the best all around offensive player in the game when Dirk is better?

Chill_Will_24
10-23-2011, 11:23 PM
How can Melo be the best all around offensive player in the game when Dirk is better?

AND Durant...

MELO 15
10-23-2011, 11:33 PM
You are totally wrong my friend, dirk is great dont get me wrong, but offensively Melo is #1 when it comes to the all around game offensively

MELO 15
10-23-2011, 11:44 PM
AND Durant...
Durant has that jumper, offense doesnt mean being a scoring champ, it plays a factor, again, I said all best all around offensive player in the game, meaning he does it all offensively, post up off the dribble jab step stop and and pop, mid range, deep threat, durant gets about 30% of his points from the line, and i cant be mad at him for that, but the refs give him the benefit of the doubt, durants post up game is suspect, and for some reason if u ask toney allan wich one is a tougher guard him and alot of others would say melo. Toney did a good job guarding durant, but against melo, no answers. Melo takes advantage of the defenders weaknes, to small ill back u down, to big off the dribble, good defender, jab step, durant is really about using his length to shoot over guys, but it doesnt make him the best all around offensive player. Hopefull u understand what im trying to say now

Chill_Will_24
10-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Durant has that jumper, offense doesnt mean being a scoring champ, it plays a factor, again, I said all best all around offensive player in the game, meaning he does it all offensively, post up off the dribble jab step stop and and pop, mid range, deep threat, durant gets about 30% of his points from the line, and i cant be mad at him for that, but the refs give him the benefit of the doubt, durants post up game is suspect, and for some reason if u ask toney allan wich one is a tougher guard him and alot of others would say melo. Toney did a good job guarding durant, but against melo, no answers. Melo takes advantage of the defenders weaknes, to small ill back u down, to big off the dribble, good defender, jab step, durant is really about using his length to shoot over guys, but it doesnt make him the best all around offensive player. Hopefull u understand what im trying to say now

Take them Knicks shades off.. you will see the game a lot clearer

MELO 15
10-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Take them Knicks shades off.. you will see the game a lot clearer

NOT WEARING THEM RIGHT NOW, MY POINTS ARE VALID, BUT I WILL NOT BE UPSET Cuse u have your personal opinion

blahblahyoutoo
10-24-2011, 12:31 AM
how exactly did the spurs form a super team?
and please don't tell me you consider drafting the same as signing a star player.

as for the rest of the teams you listed, a lot of the HOF talent was also acquired via draft.
a big difference when compared to signing mega stars, who forced their way out by demanding a trade.

no response?

Raph12
10-24-2011, 01:25 AM
Is there any player from SG-C that wouldn't want CP3 on his team?... Excited that the best PG on the planet is coming to your team, just seems like common sense to me.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Bargnani says he wants you too.

nystandup
10-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Bargnani says he wants you too.

haha I love all the hate for the Knicks. Not our fault we've sucked for so long and now players want to play for us....

Raps08-09 Champ
10-24-2011, 03:59 AM
^

How am I hating on the Knicks?

Knicks are my 2nd favourite team...

RekeHavoc
10-24-2011, 08:22 AM
:speechless: Everyone that's a non-Bulls fan wouldn't want that to happen because that's an unbeatable team right there and other superteams wouldn't be able to beat it and that means the Bulls would guaranteed to win the next 6-8 championships. But you are right about the rest of your statements though and I agree with them. If the Knicks can get Chris than we can get Dwight, the door do swing both ways for every team and the Knicks fans think they can snag up any or every allstar they want and thinking the cba and salary cap won't effect them at all like it does with every other team in the league.

you cannot argue with knicks fans, they dont believe the salary cap exists, its a myth

Chill_Will_24
10-24-2011, 08:47 AM
haha I love all the hate for the Knicks. Not our fault we've sucked for so long and now players want to play for us....

Hell yea! Who WOULDNT wanna play for NY? Handing out 100 million dollar, uninsured contracts and 65 million dollar extensions to players that only play 50% of the game.. shiiiit thats a bargain for ANY player! Not to mention that the Knicks are the only team in the WHOLE LEAGUE without a salary cap to bind them :clap: The Knicks are the perfect destination for B level stars to make A level money :cool:

ManningToTyree
10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
:dance:

^ Me the day this dream becomes a reality

nycericanguy
10-24-2011, 10:48 AM

When healthy CP3 is the better player. I don't think Knick fans would be upset at all with Deron. I think CP3 is just much more realistic as he is great friends with Melo & Amare and had that whole wedding toast and is unlikely to stay in NO.

Deron, Howard or CP3 would be a dream for NY, but CP3 seems like the best shot of happening.

beasted86
10-24-2011, 11:40 AM
We have to wait and see how the new CBA turns out. As of now the Knicks can offer CP3 a max deal.

Please explain how the Knicks can offer Chris Paul a max contract under the current CBA rules and cap in 2012. Keep in mind his max contract has a starting year salary of $17.2M.

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know how far from the truth that is. And please save yourself wasted text, because I'm not going to entertain any ideas of the Hornets taking Chauncey Billups in a trade.

MELO 15
10-24-2011, 12:15 PM
hell yea! Who wouldnt wanna play for ny? Handing out 100 million dollar, uninsured contracts and 65 million dollar extensions to players that only play 50% of the game.. Shiiiit thats a bargain for any player! Not to mention that the knicks are the only team in the whole league without a salary cap to bind them :clap: The knicks are the perfect destination for b level stars to make a level money :cool:

your opinion on the b level stars comment, but melo is considered by other nba players to be one the best in the league. Kobe said if there was any player he would choose to play with, now thats saying alot, he could have said lebrick, wade, d12, kd, cp3, anybody. So yes its your opinion, but ill take the opinions of those who play against the man, holla

nystandup
10-24-2011, 12:23 PM
^

How am I hating on the Knicks?

Knicks are my 2nd favourite team...

Sorry for quoting you then, but there is just so much hate for the Knicks on this forum.

nystandup
10-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Hell yea! Who WOULDNT wanna play for NY? Handing out 100 million dollar, uninsured contracts and 65 million dollar extensions to players that only play 50% of the game.. shiiiit thats a bargain for ANY player! Not to mention that the Knicks are the only team in the WHOLE LEAGUE without a salary cap to bind them :clap: The Knicks are the perfect destination for B level stars to make A level money :cool:

You being a Nets fan I am truly sorry. I understand your saltyness but get over it already! Stop acting like if the Nets didn't have Amare and Melo with the POSSIBILITY of Chris Paul that that you wouldn't be :drool: Grow up Peter pan, Count Chocula. It's not our fault Melo didn't want to sign with you.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-24-2011, 12:30 PM

I know you wish you had a B level star. The Nets paid an F level player Outlaw absurd money. Your always worried about the Knicks. You wanted Melo and yall got burnt. Now he's overrated blah blah blah. Yes a majority of knick band wagon fans can be jerks. But many normal fans who suffered thru a tough decade are not. Then we have small market fans upset that we always are a prime target for free agents. FA use the Knicks to drive their stock up most times than actually signing with us. So when we land big fish we are happy.

You critize Knick fans for wanting Cp3 yet you have a youtube video of two players that you're not sure are going to be on your roster after this season.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Please explain how the Knicks can offer Chris Paul a max contract under the current CBA rules and cap in 2012. Keep in mind his max contract has a starting year salary of $17.2M.

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know how far from the truth that is. And please save yourself wasted text, because I'm not going to entertain any ideas of the Hornets taking Chauncey Billups in a trade.

I understand we can only get Cp3 thru free agency. If Lebron and Bosh can take a discount to go to Mia. Why cant Cp3 ??? Its far from a lock but the Knick jealousy on the forum is ridiculous (last comment not directed @ u)

nycericanguy
10-24-2011, 12:39 PM

NY as it stands now can offer CP3 about 14.5m starting, sound familiar?

Is it really out of the question that he takes slightly less than a max like the MIA trio did?

Weezy
10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
I know you wish you had a B level star. The Nets paid an F level player Outlaw absurd money. Your always worried about the Knicks. You wanted Melo and yall got burnt. Now he's overrated blah blah blah. Yes a majority of knick band wagon fans can be jerks. But many normal fans who suffered thru a tough decade are not. Then we have small market fans upset that we always are a prime target for free agents. FA use the Knicks to drive their stock up most times than actually signing with us. So when we land big fish we are happy.

You critize Knick fans for wanting Cp3 yet you have a youtube video of two players that you're not sure are going to be on your roster after this season.

:ouch: Plez LOL

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-24-2011, 12:52 PM
:ouch: Plez LOL

Lol.. Its crazy. He bashes the Knicks every chance he gets. He's just a more polite version of DOMEFAVORS.

Chill_Will_24
10-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Wow.. now im a polite version of DoMefavors.. interesting.. cuz i stated my opinion? You disagree? Thats cool.. no need for a NY mob. Calm it down internet gangstas...

I said Melo is a B level star and he is. He only plays on one side of the game. most Nets fans wanted to get Melo, myself included. The reason for me personally wasnt cuz Melo was some cant miss talent. it was because the Nets needed ANY star and he was the only one available. I cannot tell you how delighted i am with how everything worked out. Moreover Melo later admitted he wouldve resigned with the Nets. He cared more about the money than the exact location of NY he played in.

Ive never bashed the Knicks for wanting the best PG in the league and yes i have a pretty epic youtube video on my sig with Deron and Dwight. I am a fan. Whats your point?

We paid 7 mill a year for a bum but Knicks fans are the last fanbase who should be criticizing bad contracts (see Marbury,Stephon and Curry,Eddie)

I dont hate on the Knicks at all. I get attacked by the less intelligent Knicks fans when i state my opinion that Melo is overrated or that Amare is overpaid. Thats not blatant hate. its an opinion, take it as such.

Punk
10-24-2011, 01:31 PM
^ Bad contracts? Sure but they actually were productive. Curry at one point nearly made the All-star game, Marbury was an all-star, Jammal became the player that he is cause of his Knick tenure.

Outlaw hasn't done a thing to deserve his. Farmar hasn't done a thing to deserve his.

So, Melo is a B talent because he plays one side of the court? You do realize the only player to play great defense and offense is Jordan right?

Kobe isn't a great defender. Durant isn't a great defender. Dirk isn't a great defender either. Yet, they all are elite scorers. It's hypocritical logic.

Amare is hardly overpaid from his performance from this season.

Raps08-09 Champ
10-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Sorry for quoting you then, but there is just so much hate for the Knicks on this forum.

To be fair, we've heard it nonstop this year when there was only a 1st round exit.

I love the Knicks but I even find the love too much.

And it's not just for the Knicks. All major teams get their fair share.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-24-2011, 01:59 PM
What part of my post warranted Internet gangsta? You get sensitive about unintelligent knick fans argueing with you. So u were desperate 4 any star but ur happy about how things ended up. I call BS on that . Yes I can understand Dwill being a player u rather than Melo. But u haven't extended him yet and ur banking on D12 to come to Jersey. If you can't retain Dwill your franchise can sink to a new low. You constantly take jabs at the Knicks and that's y I called u a polite Domefavors. It's not as bad but in any thread there is knick bashing we can find you there.

Wow.. now im a polite version of DoMefavors.. interesting.. cuz i stated my opinion? You disagree? Thats cool.. no need for a NY mob. Calm it down internet gangstas...

I said Melo is a B level star and he is. He only plays on one side of the game. most Nets fans wanted to get Melo, myself included. The reason for me personally wasnt cuz Melo was some cant miss talent. it was because the Nets needed ANY star and he was the only one available. I cannot tell you how delighted i am with how everything worked out. Moreover Melo later admitted he wouldve resigned with the Nets. He cared more about the money than the exact location of NY he played in.

Ive never bashed the Knicks for wanting the best PG in the league and yes i have a pretty epic youtube video on my sig with Deron and Dwight. I am a fan. Whats your point?

We paid 7 mill a year for a bum but Knicks fans are the last fanbase who should be criticizing bad contracts (see Marbury,Stephon and Curry,Eddie)

I dont hate on the Knicks at all. I get attacked by the less intelligent Knicks fans when i state my opinion that Melo is overrated or that Amare is overpaid. Thats not blatant hate. its an opinion, take it as such.

Chill_Will_24
10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
^ Bad contracts? Sure but they actually were productive. Curry at one point nearly made the All-star game, Marbury was an all-star, Jammal became the player that he is cause of his Knick tenure.

Outlaw hasn't done a thing to deserve his. Farmar hasn't done a thing to deserve his.

So, Melo is a B talent because he plays one side of the court? You do realize the only player to play great defense and offense is Jordan right?

Kobe isn't a great defender. Durant isn't a great defender. Dirk isn't a great defender either. Yet, they all are elite scorers. It's hypocritical logic.

Outlaw is a disgrace. He came into camp out of shape. However he has only played for the Nets one year. During that year none of the Nets players were playing to their full potential because everywhere they went the threat of being traded was there. Im willing to give Outlaw another year before i compare him to Curry or Marbury

Again we reach the same dead end. Just because some of the NBAs elite arent great defenders doesnt mean they are terrible. Melo is an ok one on one defender but his help defense is atrocious. He doesnt even try most of the time. Thats not the attitude of a superstar. Its not about ability. Its about effort. Until Melo gets his **** together and learns to be a team player on both sides of the ball, he will never be considered elite

29$JerZ
10-24-2011, 02:41 PM

We technically can't. He would have to take a payout or NY would have to not resign Landry, Ronny, and trade Balkman contract off.

I don't believe Paul will get traded to NY, its entirely up to him to want to be a Knick but NY does have a legit shot at him which wasn't the case when we only had Amar'e.

Totally depends on the CBA from here on out and Paul's patience with losing on a team where David West is your 2nd best player.

Why is Melo a B level star?
Is it because he isn't efficient? Or is it because he doesn't play good defense?
That argument against him could easily be used on Dirk, Durant, Rose, and even LeBron.
Is it no coincidence Dirk, Durant, Rose and LeBron have always been surrounded by a good -elite defensive team and thus were able to shine despite only being good at 1 aspect of the game? At least wait until Melo and Amar'e are given some defensive capable players to work with.

And the whole "doesn't play defense = non-star" is BS
Other than LeBron, Wade, Dwight and Chris Paul no player in the NBA is elite on both sides of the court.

Melo imo isn't overrated. Looking at his stats alone you can tell why Durant is better or at least slightly above Melo due to his scoring with efficiency alone.

Amar'e is overpaid but there is a difference in being overpaid and named Amar'e and being overpaid and being named Travis Outlaw, or Rashard Lewis or Gilbert Arenas. For his contract he sure as hell proved he is at worst a 2nd option talent and he helped NY not only get to the playoffs but get Melo here and made NY an above .500 team.

What part of my post warranted Internet gangsta? You get sensitive about unintelligent knick fans argueing with you. So u were desperate 4 any star but ur happy about how things ended up. I call BS on that . Yes I can understand Dwill being a player u rather than Melo. But u haven't extended him yet and ur banking on D12 to come to Jersey. If you can't retain Dwill your franchise can sink to a new low. You constantly take jabs at the Knicks and that's y I called u a polite Domefavors. It's not as bad but in any thread there is knick bashing we can find you there.

Knick bashing exist because of the ignorance on this forum. Same with the Kobe, LeBron, Rose and now Melo/Amar'e discussions that take place here. If you know the truth just state it and don't feed clearly incorrect opinions stated as facts in arguments.

Chill_Will_24
10-24-2011, 02:51 PM

I was referring to all of the ppl that quoted me at once, not just you.

Yes the NJ Nets were in desperate need of a star to take pressure off Lopez and most of all to end all the trade rumors and distractions that were present. i was happy how everything turned out cuz Melo was never my ideal choice. i THOUGHT he was the only star available and i was rooting for the Nets to get someone and stop the losing. Its that simple.

Yes Deron hasnt resigned but unlike Dwight and Melo, Deron hasnt been evasive with his answers or bull****ing the Nets. He told them straight up, if they get him players he will stay. He has had nothing but great things to say about the owner and Deron is reportedly excited about being the face of the Brooklyn Nets. I am confident Deron will resign.

That does not mean i think the Nets will get Dwight Howard. I have a sig with Dwight on it... WOOOOOOW big deal.. who doesnt sig players they want? Dont make me fetch up some of the sigs that Knicks fans had for Lebron.

Again your accusing me of taking jabs. My opinions are jabs? (In my Joker voice) Why so sensitive????

If i said that the last time the Knicks had a playoff win Lebron was in a freshman in HS and Dwight was still in middle school.... thats a jab.

If i said that the Nets had more playoff wins in 4 years than the Knicks had in 10.. that would be a jab

If i said the last time the Knicks made the playoffs the World Trade Center was still up.. that is a jab.

Get it? Idgaf about the Knicks. I hope both our teams do well so that we can develop a REAL rivalry...

I dont bash the Knicks. I just add my 2 cents in a thread and Knicks fans cry bloody mary.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-24-2011, 02:52 PM
I apologize ChillWill... Shouldn't have called u Out like that.

Sactown
10-24-2011, 02:54 PM
I'm so shocked by this news! I thought he hated CP3 and wanted him to jump off a bridge

Chill_Will_24
10-24-2011, 03:05 PM
We technically can't. He would have to take a payout or NY would have to not resign Landry, Ronny, and trade Balkman contract off.

I don't believe Paul will get traded to NY, its entirely up to him to want to be a Knick but NY does have a legit shot at him which wasn't the case when we only had Amar'e.

Totally depends on the CBA from here on out and Paul's patience with losing on a team where David West is your 2nd best player.

Why is Melo a B level star?
Is it because he isn't efficient? Or is it because he doesn't play good defense?
That argument against him could easily be used on Dirk, Durant, Rose, and even LeBron.
Is it no coincidence Dirk, Durant, Rose and LeBron have always been surrounded by a good -elite defensive team and thus were able to shine despite only being good at 1 aspect of the game? At least wait until Melo and Amar'e are given some defensive capable players to work with.

And the whole "doesn't play defense = non-star" is BS
Other than LeBron, Wade, Dwight and Chris Paul no player in the NBA is elite on both sides of the court.

Melo imo isn't overrated. Looking at his stats alone you can tell why Durant is better or at least slightly above Melo due to his scoring with efficiency alone.

Its not only his bad defense, or his inefficiency, or his selfish style of play. Its his attitude. They guy doesnt seem to have the drive to win. He has the tools to be a great defender yet he shows no effort on that side of the ball. Guys like Durant, Lebron, Dirk, Wade.. they have that extra gear that pushes them further to improve their game. That drive to win. Melo is driven by his desire to be popular and rich. Obviously this is all my opinion.

Amar'e is overpaid but there is a difference in being overpaid and named Amar'e and being overpaid and being named Travis Outlaw, or Rashard Lewis or Gilbert Arenas. For his contract he sure as hell proved he is at worst a 2nd option talent and he helped NY not only get to the playoffs but get Melo here and made NY an above .500 team.

There is also a difference between 35mil and 100mil Travis Outlaw was out of shape the whole season. He apologized to the fans and vowed to improve next season. Will he succeed? wtf knows... but 100mil is no joke for a guy most doctors warned might be a health risk.

Knick bashing exist because of the ignorance on this forum. Same with the Kobe, LeBron, Rose and now Melo/Amar'e discussions that take place here. If you know the truth just state it and don't feed clearly incorrect opinions stated as facts in arguments.

Some Knicks fans bring it on themselves. I dont do it anymore. I used to but i put that in check. Now the problems arise when i state my opinion and Knicks fans get sensitive instead of saying they disagree and keeping it moving

Chill_Will_24
10-24-2011, 03:09 PM
I apologize ChillWill... Shouldn't have called u Out like that.

Its all good my brother. Your only defending your team. Thats what true fans do. I look forward to seeing you guys in the playoffs. You guys came a long way from the Isiah mess. Now you have two stars and a possible third on the way that would make you guys my fav team to watch behind my Nets and the Clippers (Blake Griffin is just must watch tv)..

blahblahyoutoo
10-24-2011, 03:15 PM

uhmm... crawford was doing his thing in CHI long before joining the knicks.

NYsFinest
10-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Its all good my brother. Your only defending your team. Thats what true fans do. I look forward to seeing you guys in the playoffs. You guys came a long way from the Isiah mess. Now you have two stars and a possible third on the way that would make you guys my fav team to watch behind my Nets and the Clippers (Blake Griffin is just must watch tv)..

Paul, Melo, Amare

vs.

Deron, Dwight

:drool:

all that =

Miami: 0 rings

29$JerZ
10-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Its not only his bad defense, or his inefficiency, or his selfish style of play. Its his attitude. They guy doesnt seem to have the drive to win. He has the tools to be a great defender yet he shows no effort on that side of the ball. Guys like Durant, Lebron, Dirk, Wade.. they have that extra gear that pushes them further to improve their game. That drive to win. Melo is driven by his desire to be popular and rich. Obviously this is all my opinion.

There is also a difference between 35mil and 100mil g
Well your opinion of Melo's drive is an opinion. So claiming that as a fact is pretty useless.

I agree Melo has all the tools to be a great defender and is lazy at times;l same with Amar'e.
However why does Rose who is shielded by an elite defense, Dirk who is not a good defensive player but "tries" and Durant who at this point in his career is strictly an elite scorer and nothing more on defense not a problem? I've said before all of those stars are fortunate to have great defensive systems in place of them to make up for their lack of their defense. Melo and Amar'e from their Denver and Phoenix days didn't. Other than LeBron, Wade, Dwight and Paul no star in the NBA is an elite 2 way player so I have no problem with Melo/Amar'e not being True Elite players since Rose/Durant/Dirk are similar to Melo/Amar'e in that you can build around them despite their defensive problems however have a much better team and defensive system for them.

The drive for money thing is also an opinion not a fact. Eddy Curry and Antoine Walker are prime examples of what drive for money truly is. Money means a lot to these players, not just Melo. It's a reason why this lockout is still ongoing, LeBron,Durant and others you've mention who have that gear to get better also get paid extremely well. Why put Melo on a pedestal like that?

For 100 Million you expect your player to perform like a star which Amar'e did.
For 35 Million you expect a good-great rotation player or 3rd option for your stars. Outlaw is farthest from that.

I'll easily take Amar'e for another 3-4 years of Elite play at that price than Outlaw who imo is another prime example of the Jared Jeffries, Jerome James MLE disasters NY made infamous. An 100 million dollar investment that is successful is worth the gamble compared to a 35 million dollar investment who is a clear bust. Simple business logic.

Punk
10-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Outlaw is a disgrace. He came into camp out of shape. However he has only played for the Nets one year. During that year none of the Nets players were playing to their full potential because everywhere they went the threat of being traded was there. Im willing to give Outlaw another year before i compare him to Curry or Marbury

Outlaw would have to put up 20ppg on another losing season before you can compare him to Curry and Marbury.

Again we reach the same dead end. Just because some of the NBAs elite arent great defenders doesnt mean they are terrible. Melo is an ok one on one defender but his help defense is atrocious. He doesnt even try most of the time. Thats not the attitude of a superstar. Its not about ability. Its about effort. Until Melo gets his **** together and learns to be a team player on both sides of the ball, he will never be considered elite
You are telling me about his defense when I've watched him play good one on one defense and his help defense was outstanding? The only defensive slips Melo had here in NY was due to confused defensive schemes by D'antoni which was obvious. Everyone knows he has improved his defense and to be quite honest, his defense was NEVER a problem in Denver until he started the trade talk.

You cannot be serious when Dirk was one of the worst help defenders in the league which is why they lost to Golden State but he's somehow elite, right?

Also, you say he doesn't play both sides of the court BUT you say his one on one defense is okay. Which totally goes against your "effort" argument.

uhmm... crawford was doing his thing in CHI long before joining the knicks.
He put up 17ppg in his last season in Chicago. When he went to NY, he averaged 17ppg to 20ppg.

Chill_Will_24
10-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Well your opinion of Melo's drive is an opinion. So claiming that as a fact is pretty useless.

I agree Melo has all the tools to be a great defender and is lazy at times;l same with Amar'e.
However why does Rose who is shielded by an elite defense, Dirk who is not a good defensive player but "tries" and Durant who at this point in his career is strictly an elite scorer and nothing more on defense not a problem? I've said before all of those stars are fortunate to have great defensive systems in place of them to make up for their lack of their defense. Melo and Amar'e from their Denver and Phoenix days didn't. Other than LeBron, Wade, Dwight and Paul no star in the NBA is an elite 2 way player so I have no problem with Melo/Amar'e not being True Elite players since Rose/Durant/Dirk are similar to Melo/Amar'e in that you can build around them despite their defensive problems however have a much better team and defensive system for them.

The drive for money thing is also an opinion not a fact. Eddy Curry and Antoine Walker are prime examples of what drive for money truly is. Money means a lot to these players, not just Melo. It's a reason why this lockout is still ongoing, LeBron,Durant and others you've mention who have that gear to get better also get paid extremely well. Why put Melo on a pedestal like that?

For 100 Million you expect your player to perform like a star which Amar'e did.
For 35 Million you expect a good-great rotation player or 3rd option for your stars. Outlaw is farthest from that.

I'll easily take Amar'e for another 3-4 years of Elite play at that price than Outlaw who imo is another prime example of the Jared Jeffries, Jerome James MLE disasters NY made infamous. An 100 million dollar investment that is successful is worth the gamble compared to a 35 million dollar investment who is a clear bust. Simple business logic.

Eh i can agree with all of this. Outlaw is prety pathetic. I hope he wakes up next season.

Im pretty sure i stated that this was all my opinion. Im biased when it comes to Melo because ive always hated him as a person but loved him as a player. Meaning i hate that he doesnt have the competitive fire that Kobe or CP3 has cuz Melo has all the tools to be better than Wade and be top 5 player... but he is weak minded and never worked on his game or tried to become a better defender. Ive seen him hold it down on D but he only does it when he is facing the elite guys. I just dont get him. He could be so much more than what he is.

I think adding a guy like Paul would elevate his game. Not just cuz Paul is so amazing but because Paul's competitive fire is infectious.

DISCLAIMER: This was all my opinion and in no shape or form am i claiming this is fact. I take no responsibility for offended Melo fans.

nystandup
10-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Nobodys being an internet gangsta haha. If that were the case people would be getting threatened.

Chill_Will_24
10-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Paul, Melo, Amare

vs.

Deron, Dwight

:drool:

all that =

Miami: 0 rings

Bro im telling you.. if that scenario happens Lebron will NEVER get a ring

Chill_Will_24
10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Outlaw would have to put up 20ppg on another losing season before you can compare him to Curry and Marbury.

You are telling me about his defense when I've watched him play good one on one defense and his help defense was outstanding? The only defensive slips Melo had here in NY was due to confused defensive schemes by D'antoni which was obvious. Everyone knows he has improved his defense and to be quite honest, his defense was NEVER a problem in Denver until he started the trade talk.

You cannot be serious when Dirk was one of the worst help defenders in the league which is why they lost to Golden State but he's somehow elite, right?

Also, you say he doesn't play both sides of the court BUT you say his one on one defense is okay. Which totally goes against your "effort" argument.

He put up 17ppg in his last season in Chicago. When he went to NY, he averaged 17ppg to 20ppg.

Like i said... im biased when it comes to Melo. I hate him cuz he is a waste of talent. He could be a top 5 player if he put in the work, stayed in shape, and if he motivated himself to be a better player. Melo imo has no passion for the game like CP3 of Kobe. For that i despise him. Hopefully he will shape up and get focused if you guys get a competitive guy like Paul

blahblahyoutoo
10-24-2011, 04:00 PM

cherry picking numbers. i love it.
you forgot to mention that his numbers dropped to 14.3 pt/g in his 2nd season with NY. why did it drop you ask? because his min/g dropped.

lets do a real comparison that's more indicative of how effective he was offensively.

he averaged 25.94 min/g in 4 seasons with CHI
he averaged 36.91 min/g in 4 seasons with NY
he played 11 more min/g in NY than in CHI. i think it's safe to assume that his scoring would also go up, correct?
and just for S's & G's he played 30.65 min/g in 2 seasons with ATL

now lets calculate his points per minute.
he averaged .432 ppm in CHI, extrapolated for 48 min = 20.736 ppg
he averaged .475 ppm in NY, extrapolated for 48 min = 22.8 ppg
he averaged .527 ppm in ATL, extrapolated for 48 min = 25.27 ppg

so he jumped from 2 pts going from CHI to NY and 2.5 pts going from NY to ATL.
a lot could be attributed to personal growth and exp in the league.
you could HARDLY conclude that NY was responsible for making him who he is today. heck, his stats in ATL are much more convincing if you want to make a case for which team developed him.

personally, i think he's just a gifted scorer naturally and would've flourished in any offensive minded system.
so what say you now?

da ThRONe
10-24-2011, 04:09 PM
The price of teaming up with other super stars is, sacrificing money. So when Howard becomes a free agent, he can sigh anywhere he wants...

Don't underestimate these guys... They do not what to be underneath the HEAT shadow for the next 5 - 7yrs. History will not be kind to them.

These players are a new breed, not like the old school players ( and it's those same old school players (ringless) that are sending hate towards these current Nba guys.

I don't see Paul or Howard taking significantly less to go to the NYK's. If it's a slight pay cut like 2-5 million a year maybe anything more than that I don't see it.

Slimsim
10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
I bet otis does something to get cp3 to Orlando and shock the world

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-24-2011, 05:56 PM
cherry picking numbers. i love it.
you forgot to mention that his numbers dropped to 14.3 pt/g in his 2nd season with NY. why did it drop you ask? because his min/g dropped.

lets do a real comparison that's more indicative of how effective he was offensively.

he averaged 25.94 min/g in 4 seasons with CHI
he averaged 36.91 min/g in 4 seasons with NY
he played 11 more min/g in NY than in CHI. i think it's safe to assume that his scoring would also go up, correct?
and just for S's & G's he played 30.65 min/g in 2 seasons with ATL

now lets calculate his points per minute.
he averaged .432 ppm in CHI, extrapolated for 48 min = 20.736 ppg
he averaged .475 ppm in NY, extrapolated for 48 min = 22.8 ppg
he averaged .527 ppm in ATL, extrapolated for 48 min = 25.27 ppg

so he jumped from 2 pts going from CHI to NY and 2.5 pts going from NY to ATL.
a lot could be attributed to personal growth and exp in the league.
you could HARDLY conclude that NY was responsible for making him who he is today. heck, his stats in ATL are much more convincing if you want to make a case for which team developed him.

personally, i think he's just a gifted scorer naturally and would've flourished in any offensive minded system.
so what say you now?

This may be true but his game started turning the corner when he was coached by Larry Brown. Thats probably the only thing Larry did to help the Knicks. He held people accountable and cracked the whip on Crawford. ATL has a horrid bench so Id say Crawford fell into the perfect situation. Crawford did play for an offensive minded Golden State team and that didnt seem to work for whatever reason. You would think he and Don Nelson wouldve been a match made in heaven.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-24-2011, 06:01 PM
I don't see Paul or Howard taking significantly less to go to the NYK's. If it's a slight pay cut like 2-5 million a year maybe anything more than that I don't see it.

You have a point. But the exposure that Knick team would get should also come with way larger endorsement oppurtunities. Melo just got here and he had a major sneaker release party that seemed like it was a new years event. Nate robinson a bench player had his own billboard. Imagine what 3 superstars in NY would be like. It would be the HEAT part duex promotion wise.

JasonJohnHorn
10-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Is this news? CP3 is awesome. Every team in the league wants him wearing their uniform.

SteBO
10-24-2011, 07:24 PM
Bro im telling you.. if that scenario happens Lebron will NEVER get a ring
Let's slow down......:)

Regardless, that is one good head to head. Nets-Knicks rivalry would surely be back at that point.

NYsFinest
10-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Like i said... im biased when it comes to Melo. I hate him cuz he is a waste of talent. He could be a top 5 player if he put in the work, stayed in shape, and if he motivated himself to be a better player. Melo imo has no passion for the game like CP3 of Kobe. For that i despise him. Hopefully he will shape up and get focused if you guys get a competitive guy like Paul

Letsnot get too carried away, hes still a fringe top 10 player. Don't let your hate for last years trade deadline cloud your judgement.

Kashmir13579
10-24-2011, 08:55 PM

i totally get what you're saying.

Kashmir13579
10-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Letsnot get too carried away, hes still a fringe top 10 player. Don't let your hate for last years trade deadline cloud your judgement.

why would he be mad? He got arguably the better player. Knicks fans won't admit it, but plenty of other people will.

NYsFinest
10-24-2011, 09:09 PM
why would he be mad? He got arguably the better player. Knicks fans won't admit it, but plenty of other people will.

Not sure where you read that I said he is mad, nets fans should be happy with how things turned out... But Carmelo is far from a "waste of talent"

SteBO
10-24-2011, 09:15 PM
Carmelo isn't a waste of talent, but I must agree with Chill Will when he says that if Carmelo would put in some more work in the offseason and commit to defense on a more consistent basis, he would would definitely propel himself to the NBA's elite if he isn't there already(which is a subject that very mixed results here in the NBA forum).

Kashmir13579
10-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Carmelo isn't a waste of talent, but I must agree with Chill Will when he says that if Carmelo would put in some more work in the offseason and commit to defense on a more consistent basis, he would would definitely propel himself to the NBA's elite if he isn't there already(which is a subject that very mixed results here in the NBA forum).

Better shot selection and maturity for the full 48 minutes. Thats all i ask. He had a couple surgeries in the offseason and claims to be in the best shape of his life, so we're good in that department.

SteBO
10-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Better shot selection and maturity for the full 48 minutes. Thats all i ask. He had a couple surgeries in the offseason and claims to be in the best shape of his life, so we're good in that department.
That works too, especially now that he has a legit superstar next to him in Amare he can rely on. He shouldn't have to take forced shots he probably had to in Denver with this team, which should get considerably better once this joke of a lockout ends. If there's anything I miss outside of actual team basketball, it's seeing how much better these guys have gotten since last year. Exhibition games don't do it for me sadly.....

Chill_Will_24
10-25-2011, 01:17 AM
let's slow down......:)

regardless, that is one good head to head. Nets-knicks rivalry would surely be back at that point.

:d

Chill_Will_24
10-25-2011, 01:25 AM

I hope so cuz i was a huge Melo fan... i think he could be really special if he showed the passion that guys like Paul and Kobe. He is so complete offensively that if he became an elite defender there would be no question of whether he is a top 5 player.

da ThRONe
10-25-2011, 04:16 AM
You have a point. But the exposure that Knick team would get should also come with way larger endorsement oppurtunities. Melo just got here and he had a major sneaker release party that seemed like it was a new years event. Nate robinson a bench player had his own billboard. Imagine what 3 superstars in NY would be like. It would be the HEAT part duex promotion wise.

Superstar have value no matter what market they're in. I don't see guys making 10's of millions more in endorsement in New York than in Memphis.

abe_froman
10-25-2011, 05:04 AM
Superstar have value no matter what market they're in. I don't see guys making 10's of millions more in endorsement in New York than in Memphis.

he can because they are higher profile ,having larger fanbases,ect.usually companies will doll out several million more in a deal if its in big market(like lebron's nike contract has written in that it'll basically double what he gets if he finds his way to ny or la)

nycericanguy
10-25-2011, 09:03 AM
I hope so cuz i was a huge Melo fan... i think he could be really special if he showed the passion that guys like Paul and Kobe. He is so complete offensively that if he became an elite defender there would be no question of whether he is a top 5 player.

you were a huge melo fan but now you hate him because he's not an elite defender and you don't feel he has the passion of CP3 or Kobe?...lol

There are maybe 2 or 3 elite two way players in the league today.

RekeHavoc
10-25-2011, 10:33 AM

hakeem, david robinson, tim duncan, shaq, i can probably put up payton on this and scottie on this too, he had over 19 ppg for 5 years. lebron, wade

anyone else im forgetting,lol???

RekeHavoc
10-25-2011, 10:40 AM

the chances dwight sacrifices 16 million per year to sign with a team for 10 million per year( that cannot play defense, with average coaches, ex. NY, NJ) are slim to none

when the big 2 sacrificed to go to miami, they really only sacrificed a little over 2 million per year(since the usual max contracts are around 16 million a year i believe, unless your name is kobe or MJ), and bosh got 12, a number that he deserved.

sorry, if the BRI is around 53% or less, the only way he goes to NY is via trade during the season, which they dont have the pieces to acquire him. and he will not sign there for 10 million or watever low about of salary cap the knicks will have left after the BRI rapture :D

so stop dreaming, these players sacrificed, but not a huge sacrifice for them

da ThRONe
10-25-2011, 12:15 PM
he can because they are higher profile ,having larger fanbases,ect.usually companies will doll out several million more in a deal if its in big market(like lebron's nike contract has written in that it'll basically double what he gets if he finds his way to ny or la)

So why didn't LeBron go to the Knicks if there's this clause in his Nike contract?

Dade County
10-25-2011, 12:36 PM
So why didn't LeBron go to the Knicks if there's this clause in his Nike contract?

I don't know if it doubles, but I have heard of it before.

And to answer your question... NY did not have a player named D Wade!!!

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-25-2011, 12:43 PM

in addition they planned to have bosh there as well. NY had nothing to offer in terms of winning a chip in possibly year 1. Lebron is about his legacy and its incomplete without a chip. If he was in it for money then he wouldve chose new york. Chicago and Miami gave him the best chance to win right away.

beasted86
10-25-2011, 12:46 PM
NY as it stands now can offer CP3 about 14.5m starting, sound familiar?

Is it really out of the question that he takes slightly less than a max like the MIA trio did?

No they cannot, I said explain... not claim.

Fine, I'll do the work as always, and explain why they CANNOT offer him that salary. For discussion the 2012 soft cap figure is an even $60M (up from the current $58.04M).

-Uses assumption Knicks use amnesty on Renaldo Balkman

Amare Stoudemire: $20.46M
Carmelo Anthony: $19.94M
Toney Douglas: $2.06M
Iman Shumpert: $1.44M (2nd yr of 17th pick by 2011-12 rookie salary scale)
Landry Fields: $986K (qualifying offer) (QO = 125% of previous salary: $788K)

Total: $44.88M

-Teams have cap holds equal to the rookie minimum ($480k) for all empty roster spots up to the 12 man team minimum. Since Knicks would only have these 5 players above: $480k X 7 = $3.36M

Total + cap holds = $44.88M + $3.36M = $48.24M
Total cap space = $60M - 48.24M = $11.76M

The Knicks have $11.76M to sign Chris Paul, under the very generous assumption the cap rises $2M by next summer. Keep in mind, the last salary cap rise was $0.34M.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-25-2011, 12:47 PM
the chances dwight sacrifices 16 million per year to sign with a team for 10 million per year( that cannot play defense, with average coaches, ex. NY, NJ) are slim to none

when the big 2 sacrificed to go to miami, they really only sacrificed a little over 2 million per year(since the usual max contracts are around 16 million a year i believe, unless your name is kobe or MJ), and bosh got 12, a number that he deserved.

sorry, if the BRI is around 53% or less, the only way he goes to NY is via trade during the season, which they dont have the pieces to acquire him. and he will not sign there for 10 million or watever low about of salary cap the knicks will have left after the BRI rapture :D

so stop dreaming, these players sacrificed, but not a huge sacrifice for them

Even if they dont come to NY the possibility of them signing with a small market team is zero. Isnt that what this lockout is about? How will small market teams get better if no one wants to go there?

Smaller Payscale makes it worse for you small market teams. I actually want it to happen just to say i told you so. The bottom feeders will always be bottom feeders until they make better personnel decisions and draft correctly.

Chill_Will_24
10-25-2011, 12:48 PM
you were a huge melo fan but now you hate him because he's not an elite defender and you don't feel he has the passion of CP3 or Kobe?...lol

There are maybe 2 or 3 elite two way players in the league today.

I hate him cuz i feel he is just a money hungry player who doesnt care enough to be the best he can be as a player. I hate his "hero ball" style of play. He cares more about his image and fame than about the team's success.

daleja424
10-25-2011, 12:49 PM

Fine, I'll do the work as always, and explain why they CANNOT offer him that salary. For discussion the 2012 soft cap figure is an even $60M (up from the current $58.04M).

-Teams have cap holds equal to the rookie minimum ($480k) for all empty roster spots up to the 12 man team minimum. Since Knicks would only have these 5 players above: $480k X 7 = $3.36M

The Knicks have $11.76M to sign Chris Paul, under the very generous assumption the cap rises $2M by next summer. Keep in mind, the last salary cap rise was $0.34M.

and all of that is assuming that they dont sign a single guy to a contract longer than 1 year this offseason... which they wont do if they are at all interested in competing.

Chill_Will_24
10-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Dude you are my hero

da ThRONe
10-25-2011, 12:54 PM

D. Wade was a FA they both could have signed with the NYK. I think most of us agree that Stoudamire>Bosh.

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-25-2011, 12:54 PM
and all of that is assuming that they dont sign a single guy to a contract longer than 1 year this offseason... which they wont do if they are at all interested in competing.

They wont. With Jerome Jordan, Harrelson, and Turiaf returning we are going in as is. I believe we did pretty well with the current roster with no training camp or chemistry. And we played the tough teams very well. No reason to sabotage next years free agency. Im sure Amare , Melo have been in Cp3 ears all summer about the benefits of NY. Its all totally up to the sacrifice Cp3 is willing to make

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
D. Wade was a FA they both could have signed with the NYK. I think most of us agree that Stoudamire>Bosh.

Less pressure to play in Mia and the knicks could only afford two fA. So it would only be Lbj and Wade if they came to NY.

beasted86
10-25-2011, 12:59 PM

There is a chance the Knicks can convince somebody to take the MLE for only 1yr.... But I have a hard time believing there's not at least 1 older veteran who strong arms them into a 2yr player option deal like a Eddie House, Ilgauskas, and James Jones, did last year with the Heat as the only condition they would sign.

Dade County
10-25-2011, 01:05 PM

Wade was "really" never a free agent:D

He was playing the role of a free agent ... get it right!:p

nycericanguy
10-25-2011, 01:18 PM

Douglas is an option as is Fields, good players, but at the end of the day if NY has CP3 waiting they will be gone. So add another $3m or so leaving them just shy of $15m in cap. Keep in mind though that the owners have already proposed a flex cap that would go up to $62m at least.

If NY signed CP3, Douglas's role would be very minimal anyway, especially if Shumpert lives up to his potential.

Balkman wouldn't be a factor either way as from what I understand NY could send $3m cash in a trade to basically pay a team to take Balkman and cut him.

beasted86
10-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Douglas is an option as is Fields, good players, but at the end of the day if NY has CP3 waiting they will be gone. So add another $3m or so leaving them just shy of $15m in cap. Keep in mind though that the owners have already proposed a flex cap that would go up to $62m at least.

Balkman wouldn't be a factor either way as from what I understand NY could send $3m cash in a trade to basically pay a team to take Balkman and cut him.

Both of those guys are values at that money, especially Fields. Giving the qualifying offer allows the Knicks to go over the cap to keep Fields after they use their cap space, just like the Heat did with Joel Anthony. They gave him the $1M qualifying offer, signed the Big 3 + Haslem & Miller, then went over the cap and signed him for $3M a season. I'd also bet money on the Knicks picking up the team option on Douglas.

Also keep in mind if not those guys, add 2 more cap holds. In reality you are trading those two quality rotation ready guys for $2M of cap space. Unrealistic? I think so. If these were scrubs I could see your stance, but not with Fields & Douglas.

Let's just face the reality here... Chris Paul will have to take a significant discount to come to the Knicks, or the Hornets would have to be stupid and trade him there even though the Knicks have no draft picks to throw in until 2017.

nycericanguy
10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Both of those guys are values at that money, especially Fields. Giving the qualifying offer allows the Knicks to go over the cap to keep Fields after they use their cap space, just like the Heat did with Joel Anthony. They gave him the $1M qualifying offer, signed the Big 3 + Haslem & Miller, then went over the cap and signed him for $3M a season. I'd also bet money on the Knicks picking up the team option on Douglas.

Also keep in mind if not those guys, add 2 more cap holds. In reality you are trading those two quality rotation ready guys for $2M of cap space. Unrealistic? I think so. If these were scrubs I could see your stance, but not with Fields & Douglas.

Let's just face the reality here... Chris Paul will have to take a significant discount to come to the Knicks, or the Hornets would have to be stupid and trade him there even though the Knicks have no draft picks to throw in until 2017.

Nice players but again, if it came down to it NY COULD offer CP3 close to $15m, you said they flat out COULD NOT. You think NY is going to turn down a top 5 player for 2 role players? It would suck to have to get Douglas & Fields loose but we're talking CP3 here and NY has the promising Shumpert.

How about if NY makes the QO to Fields and then another team offers him $5m? Which is very possible.

Also NY could trade Fields and Douglas for future 1st's, which would help them the following season.

Bottom line is NY will have plenty of options, and as it stands now they could offer him close to $15m, but if the new CBA has the proposed flex cap they could perhaps offer a full max.

Yes those guys are great values and if CP3 decides to come for less then of course NY would like to keep them, but to count them against the cap when they are not guaranteed contracts doesn't make sense in your argument.

nycericanguy
10-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Dude you are my hero

Anyone that says anything anti-NY is your hero...lol. You admitted you were a NY hater, but you had toned it down recently... looks like you're back at it again...must be the lockout =(

But as explained, your "hero" is off base a little.

beasted86
10-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Nice players but again, if it came down to it NY COULD offer CP3 close to $15m, you said they flat out COULD NOT. You think NY is going to turn down a top 5 player for 2 role players? It would suck to have to get Douglas & Fields loose but we're talking CP3 here and NY has the promising Shumpert.

How about if NY makes the QO to Fields and then another team offers him $5m? Which is very possible.

Also NY could trade Fields and Douglas for future 1st's, which would help them the following season.

Bottom line is NY will have plenty of options, and as it stands now they could offer him close to $15m, but if the new CBA has the proposed flex cap they could perhaps offer a full max.

Yes those guys are great values and if CP3 decides to come for less then of course NY would like to keep them, but to count them against the cap when they are not guaranteed contracts doesn't make sense in your argument.

No, even under the scenario of Fields & Douglas off the allocated salary... you only exchange that $3M for 2 more $480k cap holds since you are under the 12 man team minimum. Basically it would amount to 2 more million in cap space.

Instead of $11.76M it would mean $13.84M. Not $15M, and you still have to take into account I rounded down on all of the above salaries, and this is all speculation that there will even be a $60M soft cap.

Fields would stand to benefit letting the NY free agent situation play out as the Knicks would be using Bird Rights to re-sign him. They can give him more years, higher raises per year. Knicks could match whatever outside offer as well.

And the NBA's flex cap proposal was $62M on all salaries. The "flex" amount above that $62M was only to re-sign inside free agents like the NHL, not add more outside players. So in essence, they could not use the extra money to sign Chris Paul. They would have to spend even less on him as they would need to have at least 12 players signed with $62M, then they could use the "flex" to re-sign Fields over.

nycericanguy
10-25-2011, 02:09 PM
No, even under the scenario of Fields & Douglas off the allocated salary... you only exchange that $3M for 2 more $480k cap holds since you are under the 12 man team minimum. Basically it would amount to 2 more million in cap space.

Instead of $11.76M it would mean $13.84M. Not $15M, and you still have to take into account I rounded down on all of the above salaries, and this is all speculation that there will even be a $60M soft cap.

Fields would stand to benefit letting the NY free agent situation play out as the Knicks would be using Bird Rights to re-sign him. They can give him more years, higher raises per year. Knicks could match whatever outside offer as well.

i said close to $15m, ok so $14m give or take, that was just about my original figure completely off the top of my head. you make it seem like NY as if they are so far off from what the MIA trio took.

you're right Fields probably stays, but Doulas is probably gone, Shumpert will be better IMO

beasted86
10-25-2011, 02:30 PM
i said close to $15m, ok so $14m give or take, that was just about my original figure completely off the top of my head. you make it seem like NY as if they are so far off from what the MIA trio took.

you're right Fields probably stays, but Doulas is probably gone, Shumpert will be better IMO

Okay so now you say Fields stays. Take $500k off of what they can offer an outside free agent... and the Knicks would have about $13.34M... still a pretty sizable difference from the $14.5M you said the Knicks would have as each $1M means about 10M over a contract after raises.

Taking into account 3 things:

1) Heat's big 3 gave up $2M+ in starting salary over their true max... Chris Paul would be giving up $4M+ starting.

2) That $2M+ accounted to over $20M they gave up over 6 years, and the Heat signed their 3 with Bird Rights after they gave up 4 first round picks. NY can't even compensate the Hornets with picks until 2017, so who knows if he even gets a sign and trade. He might be giving up $40-50M from his true max.

3) The final truth is the Heat 3 all agreed to take less to come together. Chris Paul would be the only one in NY taking less. Amare got his full max for an outside free agent, and Carmelo got his full max extension with Bird Rights.

29$JerZ
10-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Okay so now you say Fields stays. Take $500k off of what they can offer an outside free agent... and the Knicks would have about $13.34M... still a pretty sizable difference from the $14.5M you said the Knicks would have as each $1M means about 10M over a contract after raises.

1) when the Heat's big 3 gave up $2M+ in starting salary over their true max... Chris Paul would be giving up $4M+ starting.

2) That $2M+ accounted to over $20M they gave up over 6 years, and the Heat signed their 3 with Bird Rights after they gave up 4 first round picks. NY can't even compensate the Hornets with picks until 2017, so who knows if he even gets a sign and trade. He might be giving up $40-50M from his true max.

3) The final truth is the Heat 3 all agreed to take less to come together. Chris Paul would be the only one in NY taking less. Amare got his full max for an outside free agent, and Carmelo got his full max extension with Bird Rights.

I don't think you'll get your point through some Knick posters :laugh2:
Melo and Amar'e screwed up a potential 3 Star Team when Melo in particular went for Max and deprived NY all of its remaining assets.

Its 100% up to Paul to want NY and that's the truth.

Not to mention you do need a team to surround your stars and Miami at least had enough assets to get Miller, Haslem, Chalmers, and Anthony secured around their 3. NY is just at a huge disadvantage unless the CAP figure goes significantly up.

They could still form a Big 3 but Paul would be getting the short end of the stick in terms of money. And with a NBA owned Hornets teams the chances they trade Paul to NY to strengthen an already super market and annihilate New Orleans is minimal.

MCSJR2
10-25-2011, 02:39 PM
can anyone truly imagine how good a team of CP3, Melo and STAT would be....im getting goose bumps just with the thought....

Dade County
10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
can anyone truly imagine how good a team of CP3, Melo and STAT would be....im getting goose bumps just with the thought....

They would be the 2nd best team in the East for years to come, hands down.

RekeHavoc
10-25-2011, 03:00 PM
They would be the 2nd best team in the East for years to come, hands down.
cp3+melo+stat+dantoni+ 0 bench+0 center=0 rings, 3rd best in the east to chicago and miami for years to come

blahblahyoutoo
10-25-2011, 03:03 PM

yup. Amare and Melo, to a greater extent, screwed NY's chances of making their own big 3.

nycericanguy
10-25-2011, 03:10 PM

1) Heat's big 3 gave up $2M+ in starting salary over their true max... Chris Paul would be giving up $4M+ starting.

lol dude we're all talking hypotheticals here, i dont know if Fields is staying, I just said I think he would, I think NY would try to find a way to keep him. But if not they can offer CP3 close to $14m, you said they couldn't so I explained how. ok I was off by 500k...shoot me!, i was doing rough math off the top of my head. I don't even get what you're arguing anymore.

nycericanguy
10-25-2011, 03:13 PM
yup. Amare and Melo, to a greater extent, screwed NY's chances of making their own big 3.

Here I will agree, I felt Melo should have taken a few mil less to let NY save some money.

I wont blame Amare because I'm not sure he could look that far into the future and envision NY needing money for Melo AND CP3.

But at the end of the day NY will still be a very attractive option, and there won't be many other teams with money to offer CP3.

CP3, Melo, Lebron, Amare, Wade....those guys all seem real tight, It wouldn't surprise me if they all already knew where CP3 was heading, and NY is probably the only place where CP3 can go and play with 2 legit stars in their primes that are locked up for many years.

29$JerZ
10-25-2011, 03:16 PM
Here I will agree, I felt Melo should have taken a few mil less to let NY save some money.

But at the end of the day NY will still be a very attractive option, and there won't be many other teams with money to offer CP3.

CP3, Melo, Lebron, Amare, Wade....those guys all seem real tight, It wouldn't surprise me if they all already knew where CP3 was heading, and NY is probably the only place where CP3 can go and play with 2 legit stars in their primes that are locked up for many years.

It doesn't only have to be 3 stars
Him and Dwight would be insane
Him and Durant as well
Him in NY would have to be on the basis that Miami is the only team to beat which isn't the case, you still have Chicago to go through and they only have 1 star.

NY has a legit shot on the fact that Melo/Amar'e are talented enough that if you put Paul and at least 2 competent defensive players around them they could do serious damage but that's a lot of factors that have yet to been made

Weezy
10-25-2011, 03:18 PM
cp3+melo+stat+dantoni+ 0 bench+0 center=0 rings, 3rd best in the east to chicago and miami for years to come

LOL I love posts like this. Plus your sig explains enough what kind of poster you are already.

Who said ANYTHING about Mike D staying in NY? Was there an article posted any where about an extension that only you know about? Or are you just that typical troll?

Weezy
10-25-2011, 03:20 PM

:sigh: I just wished Melo DID do this but what can ya do... what happened has happened. Now we gotta work with what we have...

RekeHavoc
10-25-2011, 03:22 PM
LOL I love posts like this. Plus your sig explains enough what kind of poster you are already.

Who said ANYTHING about Mike D staying in NY? Was there an article posted any where about an extension that only you know about? Or are you just that typical troll?

i don't argue with Knicks fans(:crazy:), sorry, my sig clearly explains it all, try somebody else tho

Weezy
10-25-2011, 03:23 PM
i don't argue with Knicks fans(:crazy:), sorry, my sig clearly explains it all, try somebody else tho

Look around your monitor what do you see? Oh yea a forum... what happens in forums?

You figure out the formula instead of looking all high and mighty.