PDA

View Full Version : Who could use Gilbert Arenas the most??

JordansBulls
10-20-2011, 03:10 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/20/report-details-of-proposed-amnesty-clause-leaked/

Under the league’s amnesty proposal, sources say teams would be able to waive a player and have up to 75 percent of his contract removed from the cap and tax, with the remaining balance amortized against the cap over the number of years left on the contract. The player would still be paid 100 percent of the guaranteed money owed; this would be an NFL-style cap management tool to help teams adjust to the new system.

So, let’s do a hypothetical. Lets say, maybe, the Orlando Magic want to dump Gilbert Arenas‘ and his bloated contract. Hypothetically. According to Sham Sports numbers, Arenas is owed $62,432,762 total over the next four years. If the Magic used the amnesty clause, Agent Zero would be a free agent (but still get his money), while the Magic could wipe three-quarters of his salary off the books. The remaining $15.6 million would be spread over four year years, for an annual cap hit of $3.9 million.

Hawkeye15
10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
I am not sure he is even worth the baggage anymore. The Heat may pursue him, as well as the Bulls, but I don't know if anyone will even want to deal with Gilbert

GhostfaceDrilla
10-20-2011, 03:24 PM
I remember when he was a lock for 40 on very many nights. I miss that Gilbert...

I can see Miami being onvolved, possibly Boston because Ray Allen is getting old and Rondo can't score.

SteBO
10-20-2011, 03:25 PM
I am not sure he is even worth the baggage anymore. The Heat may pursue him, as well as the Bulls, but I don't know if anyone will even want to deal with Gilbert
I can guarantee you that the Heat won't even touch him.........

WHODAT8o8
10-20-2011, 03:33 PM
LA LA land they got no PG and playin wit kobe, lamar, bynum, and gasol could help arenas a lot.

D1JM
10-20-2011, 03:36 PM
so you get waived and get all of your money? ****, i dont think no one will have a problem getting waved

mdm692
10-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Whoa. Basically arenas and joe johnson can get waived and still get all the money theyre owed then sign wit any team for vets min

Celticsfan2007
10-20-2011, 03:45 PM
The unemployment line could use him

Sadds The Gr8
10-20-2011, 03:46 PM
nobody. he sucks.

mdm692
10-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Joe jonhson and d'antoni reunion :-S

Billups
Joe johnson
Melo
Stat

tcav701
10-20-2011, 03:52 PM
arenas,rashad lewis,joe johnson,boozer,mo williams, baron davis,travis outlaw,lamar odom,brandon roy,charlie v,brand,brandon roy,rudy gay,trevor ariza could all be added to the free agent pool....sicckkkk

Hawkeye15
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
man, looking at Atlanta's salaries, I am not sure which one they cut in amnesty. Honestly, I would cut Marvin Williams, and wait and try and move Josh Smith for smaller, more flexible deals. They won't just let Joe Johnson walk. If they were going to do that, they wouldn't have given him such a huge deal 15 months ago

Bravo95
10-20-2011, 04:03 PM
man, looking at Atlanta's salaries, I am not sure which one they cut in amnesty. Honestly, I would cut Marvin Williams, and wait and try and move Josh Smith for smaller, more flexible deals. They won't just let Joe Johnson walk. If they were going to do that, they wouldn't have given him such a huge deal 15 months ago
It almost has to be Williams. He lost his starting spot after recently signing an extension, and now, just had offseason back surgery. He could be a decent backup forward for someone else, just doesn't have one exceptional skill.

Hawkeye15
10-20-2011, 04:08 PM
It almost has to be Williams. He lost his starting spot after recently signing an extension, and now, just had offseason back surgery. He could be a decent backup forward for someone else, just doesn't have one exceptional skill.

exactly. He is making serious money to be nothing at this point, or at least this year. Johnson's deal is terrible, but if they can move Smith this season, or next summer, they now have some wiggle room if they do things right

Bravo95
10-20-2011, 04:16 PM
exactly. He is making serious money to be nothing at this point, or at least this year. Johnson's deal is terrible, but if they can move Smith this season, or next summer, they now have some wiggle room if they do things right
I believe he could go to an elite team and they could get something out of him, but as long as he's here, he'll forever be "the guy they drafted instead of CP3 and Deron" and it's going to affect his performance. I'd prefer keeping Smith one more year, but if he goes, they need to get rid of Marvin in the same deal also to clear as much space as possible like you said.

Nyc4You
10-20-2011, 04:21 PM
his gun misses him

Hellcrooner
10-20-2011, 04:21 PM
us army, there he wont have problems for carrying guns.

Hawkeye15
10-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I believe he could go to an elite team and they could get something out of him, but as long as he's here, he'll forever be "the guy they drafted instead of CP3 and Deron" and it's going to affect his performance. I'd prefer keeping Smith one more year, but if he goes, they need to get rid of Marvin in the same deal also to clear as much space as possible like you said.

moving Smith and trying to get a legit center is the better way to go. Finding capable SF's is much easier than finding capable PG's, SG's, or C's. I think Smith is a good player, but he can't play SF effectively, and a plan must be put into place to get Horford at PF at some point.

da ThRONe
10-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I see Gilbert more as a small SG than a PG.

smith&wesson
10-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Gilberts not the only terrible contract the magic have.

they also have hedo 5years 50 mill. id rather use it on him as arenas is the better player imo.

these two guys having these contracts could be the reason why dwight leaves orlando. i dont know what the magic gm was thinking when trading for these guys.

Hawkeye15
10-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Gilberts not the only terrible contract the magic have.

they also have hedo 5years 50 mill. id rather use it on him as arenas is the better player imo.

these two guys having these contracts could be the reason why dwight leaves orlando. i dont know what the magic gm was thinking when trading for these guys.

it started with Rashard Lewis. Otis actually let Hedo walk to sign that stupid deal, and than TRADED FOR HIM! Wtf?

Dwight is gone, and the Magic can only thank their front office for that.

Bravo95
10-20-2011, 04:33 PM
moving Smith and trying to get a legit center is the better way to go. Finding capable SF's is much easier than finding capable PG's, SG's, or C's. I think Smith is a good player, but he can't play SF effectively, and a plan must be put into place to get Horford at PF at some point.
Yeah, and IMO this team's lack of depth is a much bigger issue than the starting lineup. The reason they've come up short in the Conf Semis these past 3-4 years is because they have really nothing on the bench outside of Crawford, whereas a team like Chicago and other elite teams could throw out a second 5 that would outplay most starting 5s. Depth is probably the most underrated aspect of building a contender.

Hellcrooner
10-20-2011, 04:33 PM
it started with Rashard Lewis. Otis actually let Hedo walk to sign that stupid deal, and than TRADED FOR HIM! Wtf?

Not if gilbert gets his way in the negotiations and they allow them to enslave players for life to a team.

da ThRONe
10-20-2011, 04:35 PM

I have no previous basketball experience and I can say with no doubt I am a better GM than Otis Smith. Some times you really have to ask who hire these guys.

Badluck33
10-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Gilbert Arenas is the worst contract in all of the NBA. I have no doubt they would use it on him.

I wonder if there are limits to what his new contract could be. I dont think its right if he(or anyone else in this position) gets another big contract when they are already getting paid for that old one.

They should have it structured similar to how the NBA coaches have it set up. Coach gets fired, team pays coach til he finds a new job then gives him the difference based on his new salary with new team.

da ThRONe
10-20-2011, 04:40 PM
I think Gilbert is best with a team that has a big PG. I look at team like Minnesota who could use some scoring from their backcourt.

smith&wesson
10-20-2011, 04:44 PM

lol i know there moves make 0 sence. i was soo happy when b.c was able to trade hedo for barbosa. i thought we were stuck with the goof for the full 5 years. you gotta wonder whos calling shots in phx over there lol

firs they take on reshard lewis's contract.
then they let hedo walk after having a strong contract year and helping the magics reach the finals.
then they take on vince carter
then they trade reshard lewis for a head case and an even bigger contract in arenas
then they trade vince carter for hedo who isnt playing half as good as when they let him walk but now has a 50 mill price tag.

sucks for magic fans. they lost shaq and now howard .. it just really sux for them. oh well im a raps fan who am i to feel bad for any one

beasted86
10-20-2011, 04:48 PM
I can guarantee you that the Heat won't even touch him.........

I'd put money on Heat interest if he gets bought out. I think Baron Davis would be a way better fit, but the Heat would definitely look at Arenas.

5ass
10-20-2011, 04:55 PM

I'd love williams in orl

Stack_NJNets
10-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Gilbert used to be the best player in NBA live. Unlimited range. Now I scoop him with my 5 round pick lol.

I say bulls.

YoungOne
10-20-2011, 05:18 PM
Whoa. Basically arenas and joe johnson can get waived and still get all the money theyre owed then sign wit any team for vets min

Thats why I hope there isnt an amnesty clause...
would cause more teaming up..

naps
10-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Chicago Bulls hands down. That's what they lack. Another scorer from the perimeter. I think he'll easily give them 15-20 a night if stays healthy and if Derrick Rose is willing to share the ball. I see Bulls defense get worse a bit with Gilbert in the starting line-up, though.

Dade County
10-20-2011, 05:38 PM
I really hope if they implement this amnesty clause, they do what the
nfl do when players get cut.

You have to go through waiver wire of some sort; the teams with the worst record get first dibs... ( I did not like this idea at first, but now, it sounds really good).

You can't have all these players being free agents all at the same time.... it's madness I tell you, it's madness.

You would have all star teams running around. The 2nd tier super stars will all come together and make their own super team.

Spurred1
10-20-2011, 05:40 PM
My Spurs...
j/k

Dade County
10-20-2011, 05:47 PM
And this amnesty clause should only work for players that are original sign by that team "meaning" If you traded for that player bad as contract, then you are stock with him; but if your teams GM signed that players to that bad *** contract, you can send him packing.

Because teams would make trades just to amnesty that player, it can get crazy after a couple of years.

Quick question...

Is the amnesty clause a one time thing, meaning only for this year if their is a NBA season this year?

naps
10-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Miami Heat is one team along with other contenders would love the amnesty.

smith&wesson
10-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Gilbert used to be the best player in NBA live. Unlimited range. Now I scoop him with my 5 round pick lol.

I say bulls.

lol theres a reason why no one plays live any more

OGMarkWahlberg
10-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Who could use Agent Zero? At this point a gun shop on the heavy decline due to the economy .. Use him as a spokesperson to spark your business ..

daleja424
10-20-2011, 07:09 PM
no one. Gulbert Arenas is HORRIBLE. 34% FG shooting for teh Magic last year? Really? Scoring is the only thing he was ever any good at.

Chronz
10-20-2011, 08:05 PM
It just came to me, why not put a price tag on teams signing a waived player? This way the losing team in the trade can get more financial compensation?

Fnom11
10-20-2011, 10:31 PM
I can see Orlando cutting Arenas and then picking him back up, it that's an option(no clue how the new cba is looking so iduno).

Jint.
10-20-2011, 10:50 PM
the Globetrotters

benzni
10-20-2011, 10:54 PM
used to love his bank shot 3's. now he is just a scrub

Hustlenomics
10-20-2011, 10:56 PM
a mental institution and *insert gun joke here*

king4day
10-20-2011, 11:20 PM
If he wants playing time, come to Phoenix. We need a new SG anyway.

THE MTL
10-21-2011, 12:25 AM
I think the Crips and Bloods could use him LMAO!

nickdymez
10-21-2011, 01:48 AM
If the Bulls got him, its a wrap. Book it!

Dade County
10-21-2011, 01:50 AM

whats going to be wrapped up?

Book what?

What ever.

nickdymez
10-21-2011, 02:11 AM
whats going to be wrapped up?

Book what?

What ever.

hahahahahah@ Heat fan!

Sadds The Gr8
10-21-2011, 02:21 AM

lmao

SportsFanatic10
10-21-2011, 04:40 AM
I'd put money on Heat interest if he gets bought out. I think Baron Davis would be a way better fit, but the Heat would definitely look at Arenas.

as a heat fan i hope they don't sign him even for the vet min.

SportsFanatic10
10-21-2011, 04:41 AM

not sure he'd be a good fit anywhere but this makes a bit of sense.

Hustlenomics
10-21-2011, 09:29 AM

ahaha

yea with all the shooting Derrick Rose does adding Arenas will definitely make the opposing team run

ManRam
10-21-2011, 09:37 AM
The only team that "needs" anything from Gil...barring a miraculous off-season recovery and reinvention...are the Magic. And all the Magic "need" from Gil, is him and his salary off their team.

daleja424
10-21-2011, 09:42 AM
The Atlanta Dream. They just haven't been able to get over the top.

JordansBulls
10-21-2011, 12:48 PM
The only team that "needs" anything from Gil...barring a miraculous off-season recovery and reinvention...are the Magic. And all the Magic "need" from Gil, is him and his salary off their team.

Teams that need revenue as well.

CB29
10-21-2011, 01:14 PM
the nra? :shrug: