PDA

View Full Version : Current players are scared to death to not win a title...

ajnapoleon
10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Howard, Paul, Lebron etc.... They are worried to death nobody wants to go without rings it's like a never-ending punch line.... Yeah you was number three all time on the total points list... But your not a champion!!! Now the public is counting rings like that validates you as a person and a player...this is crazy... In the 80's you could have a great career and be a great player how many on the 50 greatest players don't have a ring?.... Almost 1/3!!!! Is it known that mr. Clutch west had a 1-8 finals record before he won?... Funny huh? Lol if he was so clutch why the 1-8?... I really think the stars got to line up for you to win ... Right team right coach players around you that hit timely baskets because you got to have a teammate that will hit something when u need it... It's just funny now d-Howard wants to think about leaving and CP3... there young now but how long can you wait?

Dade County
10-20-2011, 02:01 PM
Why, Why, Why... lbj hate thread coming up.

beliges
10-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Howard, Paul, Lebron etc.... They are worried to death nobody wants to go without rings it's like a never-ending punch line.... Yeah you was number three all time on the total points list... But your not a champion!!! Now the public is counting rings like that validates you as a person and a player...this is crazy... In the 80's you could have a great career and be a great player how many on the 50 greatest players don't have a ring?.... Almost 1/3!!!! Is it known that mr. Clutch west had a 1-8 finals record before he won?... Funny huh? Lol if he was so clutch why the 1-8?... I really think the stars got to line up for you to win ... Right team right coach players around you that hit timely baskets because you got to have a teammate that will hit something when u need it... It's just funny now d-Howard wants to think about leaving and CP3... there young now but how long can you wait?

The best of the best always find a way to win titles. MJ, Magic, Bird, Duncan, Kobe, Hakeem, Russell, West, Wilt, Shaq, Kareem they all have rings. They all won. Its important to win a title or else you can never ever be a top 10 player. If youre good enough to be considered one of the 10 greatests to ever play the game, then you will win a ring. But winning is not an easy thing to do.

six
10-20-2011, 02:28 PM
With all the hate Lebron gets, I'm not surprised that every other player in the NBA is scared to go ring less throughout their career.

Badluck33
10-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Well MJ set the standard of greatness with 6 rings ratifying the possibility to win multiple championships.

Before MJ you can still be good/great with out having rings.

ink
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Well MJ set the standard of greatness with 6 rings ratifying the possibility to win multiple championships.

Before MJ you can still be good/great with out having rings.

Before the internet and obsessive fan-driven player ranking threads you could still be great without having rings.

Ask yourself if it changes the actual game in any way whether DHoward (or anyone else) has a ring or not. The answer is obviously no.

How many top 10 players can there be anyway? And who seriously cares?

If it is actually contributing to all this player movement and team instability, it's pretty sad. This is where we as fans win the dumbness award.

I can actually understand fans not really getting the idea of competitiveness since most do their "competing" from a couch. lol. But it's sad when it actually affects the athletes themselves.

ajnapoleon
10-20-2011, 02:52 PM
INK...i think your right the players now are about that age to maybe have watched jordan and seen a one man show that trickled down to A.I and vince and t-mac etc...they thought that being the one man show is to win titles....but some are smart and understand you need a great team like the 80's celtics or bad boys or the 80's lakers..those teams went 12-13 deep...now they are afraid to be ringless and have that on there backs for the rest of the time they are living. now its getting into the league now you HAVE to win and win now!..thats the reason i think howard and paul etc... want to leave and build a team...just think about all the teams that had to go against that great front line in boston!! how do you beat that team..cant be done..

Wade>You
10-20-2011, 02:54 PM
With all the hate Lebron gets, I'm not surprised that every other player in the NBA is scared to go ring less throughout their career.Never thought about it like that; good point.

j11430
10-20-2011, 02:55 PM
A lot of people, especially basketball fans and analyists, seem to forget that it's a team sport. Just because a guy doesn't win a championship doesn't mean he's not great. If Dirk didn't win a championship, that wouldn't mean he wasn't already one of the best power forwards of all time. Same with Lebron, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, or any of the current stars that haven't won a ring yet. Just because you haven't been able to win a championship, which is extremely difficult to do, doesn't mean you aren't or won't end up as one of the best players ever.

ink
10-20-2011, 02:59 PM
a lot of people, especially basketball fans and analyists, seem to forget that it's a team sport. Just because a guy doesn't win a championship doesn't mean he's not great. If dirk didn't win a championship, that wouldn't mean he wasn't already one of the best power forwards of all time. Same with lebron, dwight howard, chris paul, or any of the current stars that haven't won a ring yet. Just because you haven't been able to win a championship, which is extremely difficult to do, doesn't mean you aren't or won't end up as one of the best players ever.

QFT.

Two PGs jump out at me as players who did it the right way: Stockton and Nash both killed themselves trying to win. Neither did, but the extremely high compete level of their fight is the measure of success to me. I wouldn't idolize someone who, by comparison, rigged a super team so they could win.

Let's face it, a tainted ring isn't a real ring anyway. Why not gain your admiration for being the most determined, elite player in the league like Barkley, Reggie Miller, or anyone else who fought to the end trying to make their own team win instead of bailing and looking for the easier route?

OC Knights #11
10-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Let's play the blame Lebron James game. It could be possible that what you talk about is more evident today because of James. Lebron is unoffically the leader of this "generation" of players. He also did proclaim him self the "King". Or even if you want to blame the media for it, James certainly embraces the titles. And now that the Miami situation has gone sour, at least for right now, the other young players; Howard, Paul, Anthony, etc, want the grandest title in the game....champion.

ajnapoleon
10-20-2011, 03:12 PM
whats the right way?..really?...with nash the mavs traded him and he wanted to stay..like i said before its ok when the team wants to get rid of you but its not ok when you want to leave the team..i just dont get it..when your value is up they will trade you for something better in a heartbeat but when you try to leave you are not loyal..titles are almost up to chance.

Kevj77
10-20-2011, 03:14 PM
The OP mentions Jerry West was 1-8 in the finals, but he played great. He is the only player that has ever won finals MVP on the losing team. Doubt that will ever happen again.

Bravo95
10-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Too many people want to give all the credit or blame to one person for a team's performance. In some cases, people just find a way to tear a player down no matter what. A lot of idiots give Kobe almost no credit for the 3-peat with Shaq, just like they won't give Lebron any credit if they ever win it.

Spurred1
10-20-2011, 05:10 PM
whats the right way?..really?...with nash the mavs traded him and he wanted to stay..like i said before its ok when the team wants to get rid of you but its not ok when you want to leave the team..i just dont get it..when your value is up they will trade you for something better in a heartbeat but when you try to leave you are not loyal..titles are almost up to chance.

That's incorrect. Nash was made an offer by Cuban. Phoenix made a bigger offer and Cuban decided not to match it. Nash chose to go to the Suns, the Mavs didn't trade him.

Hangtime
10-20-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't see anything wrong with a player who puts himself in the best possible situation to win a title. That is the ultimate prize in this sport. I can respect any great player who is content with staying with one team and being an integral part of that organization's goal to deliver a title and it doesn't lessen their greatness by any stretch when they don't accomplish that.

But, no matter what situation a player like Lebron of anyone else like him chooses to put themselves in, it doesn't change the fact that he still has to put in the work and heart necessary to succeed and win. If you strongly feel that your team is not capable of competing at the ultimate level because the pieces simply are not there then why waste a valuable precious year of your short career. They only have such a small window. As long as that player becomes an important piece to another team by competing hard and contributing to that championship then I don't think it makes them any less of a player.