PDA

View Full Version : Future of Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett?

naps
10-20-2011, 12:30 AM
With a contentious fight broiling between the NBA’s owners and players’ union this summer, and with so much uncertainty still surrounding the next CBA, Spurs franchise icon Duncan has apparently determined it is in his best interest to stand pat on what, at age 35, is likely to be his last high-dollar payday. Should Duncan choose to continue playing after next season, the Spurs would prefer to re-sign him under the new set of salary rules, which are generally expected to be more favorable to small-market clubs.

Kevin Garnett said that he wants to retire as a Celtic and has not ruled out signing beyond next season. "This is it. I don’t plan on bouncing from team to team," said Garnett. "Hopefully, God willing, I can finish my career out in the classy, elegant with a class-full organization as Boston." He also expressed his confidence that Boston can compete for another championship, as long as they add some "young components."

Two of the greatest power forwards in NBA history are both at 35 now and entering the last season (If there's one) of their respective contracts. The biggest concerns for their respective teams will be if there's any realistic chance to improve their rosters while keeping these guys for the least possible money and stay in championship contention. So here are my questions:

Do you think their currents teams will re-sign them or will just decide to move forward in new directions?

Also, do you think the players will just decide to say goodbye after this season?

Are their any chances they might go somewhere else to another contender for the last shot at a championship?

I personally can't picture them playing for another team, definitely not Duncan, even though I would think they might help some contenders even at this stage of their respective careers.

MrfadeawayJB
10-20-2011, 12:32 AM
I see both staying on their respective teams and retiring within the next few years. Once their contracts expire they will prob just sign 1 yr contracts until they retire

naps
10-20-2011, 12:36 AM
I see both staying on their respective teams and retiring within the next few years. Once their contracts expire they will prob just sign 1 yr contracts until they retire

I am guessing both of these teams will have enough space to bring in another star player. I would like to hear their chances of getting new players if they sign these guys with min salary.

Dade County
10-20-2011, 12:36 AM
One of them join the HEAT.

Cal827
10-20-2011, 12:39 AM

Why only one of them? Hell why not add Allen too, who is also a free agent lol :D... but I think it could be a possibility for Duncan (if he's forced out of SA)... I don't think KG is too fond of Miami.

naps
10-20-2011, 12:42 AM

LOL. Tim Duncan would fit in perfectly at center but I honestly can't see Duncan putting on another uniform. KG won't fit well since they already have Bosh-Haslem and I don't think he will want to change team as well.

MrfadeawayJB
10-20-2011, 12:44 AM

lol typical heat fan

RipCity32
10-20-2011, 01:09 AM
I think the teams will resign them out of respect even though it's probably not the best especially not in Boston they need to start putting a young core around Rondo they can't keep signing players from the old folks home.

NYKalltheway
10-20-2011, 05:38 AM
Kevin Garnett wanted to join Greek team Panathinaikos during the lockout but the coaching staff didn't want to sign him because of the lockout situation. I'm assuming Garnett still has interest in joining the Greek team after he's managed to earn so much money and also collect a ring. Duncan is free to join him :D

abe_froman
10-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Do you think their currents teams will re-sign them or will just decide to move forward in new directions?
sa probably will,i dont see the c's doing it unless its for cheap(not the same emotional investment with him)

Also, do you think the players will just decide to say goodbye after this season?
doubtful

Are their any chances they might go somewhere else to another contender for the last shot at a championship?
kg probably will,like i said bos might not try that hard to bring him back.i dont think duncan is of the same mindset to just be a ring chaser+like i said sa will try to make concerted effort to make him lifelong spur(even at the detriment to their own team.there's deep emotional attachment there)

naps
10-20-2011, 04:47 PM
sa probably will,i dont see the c's doing it unless its for cheap(not the same emotional investment with him)

doubtful

kg probably will,like i said bos might not try that hard to bring him back.i dont think duncan is of the same mindset to just be a ring chaser+like i said sa will try to make concerted effort to make him lifelong spur(even at the detriment to their own team.there's deep emotional attachment there)

Where do you think Garnett might land if he's not re-signed? I mean which team has realistic chance to land him? And Duncan for that matter if he's forced out (Highly unlikely, but let's just assume).

Ezio
10-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Duncan will retire a Spur. KG with the Magic if they don't move Howard.

Joshtd1
10-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Don't see Duncan leaving us. I think he's already been paid enough through out his career to where he would sign for less to try so we could add a player or two and give him one last legit shot at winning a ring.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Tim Duncan will never leave the Spurs he is one of the few loyal superstars ... KG however I could actually see leaving to hop on another contender depending on how the Celtics end up this year ... arent KG and Ray Ray expiring after this upcoming year?

naps
10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Tim Duncan will never leave the Spurs he is one of the few loyal superstars ... KG however I could actually see leaving to hop on another contender depending on how the Celtics end up this year ... arent KG and Ray Ray expiring after this upcoming year?

Yes, that's why I see Boston going forward with young guys. Build around Rondo-Green and keep Pierce as the mentor. It will interesting to see where KG and Allen land if Boston decides not to re-sign them. Both of them are absolutely capable of helping a contender.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Yes, that's why I see Boston going forward with young guys. Build around Rondo-Green and keep Pierce as the mentor. It will interesting to see where KG and Allen land if Boston decides not to re-sign them. Both of them are absolutely capable of helping a contender.

yea i agree they will definitely build around rondo .. not a huge fan of green but im assuming he is in their future plans .. if KG and Allen were smart they would leave and sign for say the vet min to contenders that are a few role players of depth away from a championship, a lot of teams can benefit from KG's intensity and defensive skills and ray ray's shooting touch, will be interesting to see who goes for them

heyman321
10-20-2011, 08:11 PM
They will both retire Bobcats.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-20-2011, 09:14 PM
They will both retire Bobcats.

:rolleyes: lol sig bet ?