PDA

View Full Version : Who should represent the players?

mzgrizz
10-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Let's think about this. Why do guys with possibly a few seasons left to actually play in the NBA represent a deal moving forward for years? Isn't it time for more leadership from the guys it will affect most?

smith&wesson
10-19-2011, 02:33 PM
kevin garnet lol

mzgrizz
10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
kevin garnet lol

My point. Exactly.

OGMarkWahlberg
10-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Derek Fisher is doing an outstanding job .. but going forward I would really like to see a future superstar speak his mind and do what is best for the players in the league .. someone like Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose

mzgrizz
10-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Derek Fisher is doing an outstanding job .. but going forward I would really like to see a future superstar speak his mind and do what is best for the players in the league .. someone like Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose

Agree. A new voice who has more to gain or to lose.

It'sMyTime
10-19-2011, 07:55 PM
It could be that the players trust D. Fish too. Maybe Durant for example would like to put this all in his hands since he has experience, and we do not know there may be some young up and comers just watching and learning from the negotiations as well.

whitemamba33
10-19-2011, 10:20 PM
By this logic, why are we not voting for 18 year olds for the Present of the United States?

RZZZA
10-19-2011, 10:21 PM
I love D.Rose but no way he should represent the players. The players need someone who is articulate, highly intellectual, with experience in business. 99% of NBA players don't qualify.

naps
10-19-2011, 10:25 PM
D-Fish has a good head over his shoulder. I would also like to see Steve Nash in that.

THE GIPPER
10-19-2011, 10:32 PM

22 year olds should not be representing the players imo

McPeak92
10-19-2011, 10:35 PM
By this logic, why are we not voting for 18 year olds for the Present of the United States?

this.

Sadds The Gr8
10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Metta World Peace

Mishmin
10-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I'm a celtics fan, and even I must say that Fisher has been nothing but professional. He seems like the man for the job.

But my vote goes to Ron Artest.

king4day
10-19-2011, 10:51 PM
It doesn't matter who's doing it talent wise. It's all about who understands the NBA from a business perspective. What's to say Durant knows anything about all the behind the scenes stuff? Fisher knows, Garnett knows. When you get guys who know business based on their schooling then you will see them step up.

If a superstar represents the league just because he's a big name then god help the NBA.

Ezio
10-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Fisher the man for the job until he retires.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-19-2011, 11:15 PM
We should let the veterans do it. Someone who's actually logical though. Not Garnett.

Fisher is doing fine. Those like Grant Hill would be good too.

MrfadeawayJB
10-19-2011, 11:27 PM

you cant be serious about rose....have you ever heard him do an interview?

MrfadeawayJB
10-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Jeremy Lin. He barely makes any money, so he knows the struggle average players go through. He also went to Harvard so maybe he is smart?

mzgrizz
10-19-2011, 11:37 PM

Think again.
IF you have an older player who won't even be in the league in a year or two, why do you trust him to bargain your future playing years??? He'll be retired and YOU'LL be laboring under the CBA he made.

mzgrizz
10-19-2011, 11:38 PM
I love D.Rose but no way he should represent the players. The players need someone who is articulate, highly intellectual, with experience in business. 99% of NBA players don't qualify.

Hmmmmmmmmm; you just described Shane Battier

whitemamba33
10-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Think again.
IF you have an older player who won't even be in the league in a year or two, why do you trust him to bargain your future playing years??? He'll be retired and YOU'LL be laboring under the CBA he made.

lol You didn't understand the analogy...did you?

I think it's you who needs to "think again".

MR.TRIPDUB
10-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Shane Battier, maybe tim duncan.

Okafor i believe is an intelligent guy.

bholly
10-20-2011, 06:46 AM
I think the thing they'd want most in the negotiations was experience with this sort of thing. The player base votes on the final agreement anyway, so it's not like there's a big cause for fear of vets totally ****ing over the young guys.

Fisher was there in the last lockout, which I'm sure is a big part of the reason he's there, and has been president for 5 years. Ratliff is part of the exec committee and was also in the last lockout. Dooling (first vice pres) has been representing players in the union just about forever. They have some rank and file - Bonner, Evans, Thomas, Mason - and one of the biggest young stars in CP3. Earlier in negotiations they also had other guys like Adonal Foyle who was also in the last lockout and is well known for his smarts.

Honestly, I think the players are pretty well and fairly represented with a good mix of guys with a good amount of experience. If I were them I'd have absolutely no problem with any of the guys on the exec. I'm not sure what would drive anyone to question it.

Let's not forget that the players voted for these guys.

mzgrizz
10-20-2011, 08:56 AM
Shane Battier, maybe tim duncan.

Okafor i believe is an intelligent guy.

Good suggestions as my think again really has to do with older, hotheaded players

gwrighter
10-20-2011, 09:14 AM
They should just hire an outside source; have that consulting agency run the negotiations & keep some veterans as advisors with final say.

Sinestro
10-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I think it should be a combination of players so say...Derek Fisher, Dwayne Wade, Kevin Durant and probably a few others I think that way each level of players is represented fairly

PhillyFaninLA
10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I'd rather have a 35 year old using judgement then a 20 year old.

edit:

Also whether its talked about or not there are people are lawyers in the meetings with players doing the bulk of the negations, I doubt Fisher is talking much when he is in the room with the owners.

Slimsim
10-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Lebron

how about a retire NBA player like shaq or Barkley

OGMarkWahlberg
10-20-2011, 09:43 PM
22 year olds should not be representing the players imo

well he is said moving forward for years so i picked Durant .. at this point I wouldn't want a 22 year old speaking for the league either but I think you understand what I was trying to say

naps
10-20-2011, 09:53 PM
A tandem of Garnett and Artest would make Stern come out of meetings with a bloody face every time.

mzgrizz
10-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Well, they had better find somebody else to represent them or they will stay out of jobs.
Do they really think the owners are going to cave?Did they just refuse the last decent offer again???
I can see them having tryouts for a new NBA and allowing the old employees to apply on a case by case basis. I'm telling you, the players had better wake up fast. Madison Ave can make stars fast; all they need is a little talent and this country(and don't forget Euro players) is chock full of good basketball players. THe "old" NBA guys will be competing for a few places overseas before they know it.

Kevj77
10-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Well, they had better find somebody else to represent them or they will stay out of jobs.
Do they really think the owners are going to cave?Did they just refuse the last decent offer again???
I can see them having tryouts for a new NBA and allowing the old employees to apply on a case by case basis. I'm telling you, the players had better wake up fast. Madison Ave can make stars fast; all they need is a little talent and this country(and don't forget Euro players) is chock full of good basketball players. THe "old" NBA guys will be competing for a few places overseas before they know it.Really you think Madison avenue can turn average players into stars? Tryouts are you kidding. Look the NBA needs the players they know it. We aren't talking about Taco Bell employees here.

I'm old enough to remember scab football in 1987 when the NFL players were on strike and it wasn't pretty. Trust me even the owners don't want that.

mzgrizz
10-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Isn't that really the point!?? I'm do frustrated with all the intransigence of the parties involved I could scream. I just want it back.