PDA

View Full Version : Do you care about this World series?

Dr.Philly
10-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Other than Cardinals and Rangers fans....

I have no feelings towards either of these teams. I like Pujols and Hamilton, however seeing those guys hit isn't enough to keep me interested.

I'll watch the games if I'm bored but i won't really be into it.

How about you guys??

GoatMilk
10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
im a baseball fan
dodger fan first, but i love baseball

i watch every year no matter what
even when your phils broke my heart 2 years in a row
even last year when it became apparent the giants were a team of destiny

to me, it's about playing out the string
i follow the dodgers, watch other games during the year, and even when my team is eliminated, i still watch the playoffs

i went through the whole season, i want to see how it ends

Boston-Born
10-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Who is in it this year?

Mudvayne91
10-18-2011, 02:30 PM
I care about it more than the Phils, Yanks, Sox etc.

Dr.Philly
10-18-2011, 02:34 PM
im a baseball fan

i follow the dodgers, watch other games during the year, and even when my team is eliminated, i still watch the playoffs

for me, I only watch when:

1) Its a team I love (phillies)
2) A team I hate ( I wont name them but there are about 10 of them)
3) a player I want to see succeed
4) a player I want to see fail

Who is in it this year?

:laugh:

Farsight
10-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I think if youre a baseball fan in general, that follows the sport and the league, it does matter, regardless of the team (so the more hardcore fans like us). If you are a fan that just supports youre team and does not follow baseball outside of the supported team, than it doesnt matter as much i think.

Tmath
10-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Who is in it this year?

Not Boston :p

gotoHcarolina52
10-18-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to it. You could have an Astros-Royals World Series and I'd still be glued to the TV.

Dr.Philly
10-18-2011, 02:43 PM
This years W.S just doesn't have any sizzle...

Last years Giants team was fun to watch plus they had alot of characters on that team.

getfoul
10-18-2011, 02:49 PM
I care enough to watch because I'm a baseball fan. I'll be rooting for the Rangers because they lost last year, and they've never won a World Series.

...and then I'll be rooting against them next year.

northsider
10-18-2011, 02:56 PM
I am pretty pumped for it although it lacks a good back story. I just like the Rangers so I guess I am a bit biased and I hate the Cards.

Kelly Gruber
10-18-2011, 02:57 PM
Rangers/Cardinals is a pretty sweet match-up as far as I'm concerned (Jays' fan), looking forward to it...

giants73756
10-18-2011, 02:58 PM
I watch it unless I hate both teams in it.

I won't be so caught up in it this year because I have no strong feeling towards either team. But it's the last time we get to watch baseball in months. You have to take advantage of it.

Yankee Clipper
10-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Yes, there are plenty of great hitters involved in this series. It should be a great one.

10-18-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm not rooting for either team and do not care who wins or loses. It's baseball so I will tune in for some of it.

StayOnBoard
10-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Who is in it this year?

:laugh2: Boston/Philly? No no, wait! :p

I always love baseball - but for whatever reason Im not as big into it this year. Isn't because of the teams, I think the end of the regular season and it's craziness just trumps everything for me.... as excited as I always am to watch the WS - I don't think Ill ever be as excited as September 28th for this season.

If the WS goes to 7 with some kind of crazy ending I'll happily stand corrected (and for the record, Ill still be watching every game) :)

Pinstripe pride
10-18-2011, 03:06 PM
i think it will be a good series with a metric **** ton of offense

Boston-Born
10-18-2011, 03:24 PM

:laugh2: Boston/Philly? No no, wait! :p

I always love baseball - but for whatever reason Im not as big into it this year. Isn't because of the teams, I think the end of the regular season and it's craziness just trumps everything for me.... as excited as I always am to watch the WS - I don't think Ill ever be as excited as September 28th for this season.

If the WS goes to 7 with some kind of crazy ending I'll happily stand corrected (and for the record, Ill still be watching every game) :)

:rimshot:

AI
10-18-2011, 03:24 PM
I care because of what it could mean to the Cards future. If they win, no way do Pujols and La Russa leave. If they lose, it's a definite possibility although ultimately I think both will stay. Baseball wouldn't be the same without Pujols in St. Louis that's just the perfect place for him.

Bravo95
10-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Don't care who wins, but I'm still going to watch.

"Ace"ves
10-18-2011, 03:32 PM
I do... but i won't make as much of an effort to watch it when im busy...

Go Cards!

Muttman73
10-18-2011, 03:37 PM
I live in Texas so by default...

Honestly don't care either way

Melo15
10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
I'll only watch because of Beltre. I could care less who wins, just hope to see him do well.

Giants-49ers-Ws
10-18-2011, 03:54 PM
I love baseball and will definitely tune in...

also, two great stories...the rangers back in the WS without Cliff Lee who'll now be watching from his couch

..and the cardinals 10.5 games out of the playoffs in late august now in the world series!!

there's reasons to root for both teams...which is probably why it's not the best matchup...usually you want a villain in there but should be a great series..i'm leaning toward pulling for the Cards...

EaglesJackson10
10-18-2011, 04:24 PM
I care about the series because I just like baseball and it's the world series. But I could care less who wins.

OneTuzSea
10-18-2011, 04:27 PM
I care about the series because I just like baseball and it's the world series. But I could care less who wins.

Basically this. I have no stake in either team, other than maybe the desire to see Texas lose. Even if they win I'm pretty indifferent.

I'll still watch because I enjoy watching baseball.

Jeffy25
10-18-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm a Cards fan soooooo.......

Yup, having a bunch of people over to the man-cave tomorrow night :)

stipe1280
10-18-2011, 04:58 PM
I can imagine that it would be difficult for those that live in the "ESPN bubble" to want to watch this series. You have a team from the midwest playing...who? Texas has a team? I know I found it difficult watching the Yankees every single year there for awhile and would only tune in in hopes of seeing the NL team surprise them.

Now, I'm pretty partial to this series, being that I am a lifelong Rangers fan. Yes, I sat through 21-3 blowouts when we'd play New York. Still, I think we're a pretty good story. Up until last year, we had won one playoff game (ONE) in our entire history. Everyone in said "ESPN bubble" most likely thought that we were the one man Cliff Lee show last year, but honestly, our success is not much of a surprise down here. Our GM, Jon Daniels, has put together a complete team.

And as for St. Louis...it's the best baseball town in America (yes, I've been to New York and Boston as well). It's amazing to see the Cardinals fight back just to get in the playoffs, then win their NLDS and NLCS series. They did this without their ace, Adam Wainwright, this season too. It'll be interesting to see what Pujols does in this series, considering this may be his last year in STL.

This series is more than just Albert Pujols vs. Josh Hamilton as well. Finally, those living in their "ESPN bubbles" can see that both teams have more talent than the only two players "the mothership" seems to talk about. We've known about Nellie Cruz's boomstick down here for some time now and to us, it means little that he bats 7th in our order.

So, yeah, maybe your team isn't in it and maybe some of the "glamour" players aren't playing in it, but at least this series will be good baseball.

Jeffy25
10-18-2011, 05:01 PM
well said stipe

CubbieSteve
10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't care about it but let's just say I'm rooting for Texas...

And St. Louis isn't the best baseball town in America...yeah they care about it more because the Blues and Rams suck but that doesn't make it the best...

mttwlsn16
10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
:yawn:

onlythisfar41
10-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Im a huge baseball fan and I will watch the world series like i do every year. With that being said, this is an incredibly boring match up. Im not the least bit excited about the two teams. Hopefully they make it exciting.

Jeffy25
10-18-2011, 05:14 PM

And St. Louis isn't the best baseball town in America...yeah they care about it more because the Blues and Rams suck but that doesn't make it the best...

Where else does an opposing player get cheered for making a nice defensive play?

Everywhere I have ever been, people that have visited Busch always have nice things to say about the fans and how they were treated.

When I'm at a game, and I am sitting near someone who is rooting for the opposition, we always have really nice, pleasant conversations.

I've been screamed at at Petco by a five year old for being a Cards fan, I've been booed in Wrigley, and I had a beer thrown at me at Veterans Stadium for wearing a Cardinals hat. And I literally said absolutely nothing in any of those situations.

I don't think you can accurately say the best baseball town in america, but baseball is extremely closely followed by all the St. Louis citizens, baseball fans or not. Midwestern hospitality comes out when you come to Busch. I'm sure there are plenty of negative situations that have existed, but I have never been witness to any of it.

But what else do I expect a cub fan to say?

t2a2e9j12
10-18-2011, 05:16 PM
I really dont care who wins. cards i guess. It might not get the highest ratings in series history and ya alot of fans wont tune in cause there teams are not in it but (mostly bitter ones) but i think a little variety in the series is good. Atleast the phillies and sox didnt make it this from a slighty bitter yanks fan. Hope for a great series and will watch a bit especially if game seven happens

adab
10-18-2011, 05:18 PM
As a MLB fan, any chance to watch Pujols bat is an experience. As a Cradinals fan, I'm all over it.

quiksilver2491
10-18-2011, 05:19 PM
It's the World Series, I don't care who the teams are, if you aren't somewhat interested then I can't see how you consider yourself a fan of baseball.

It's not like this is a horrible match up either, you have one of the most exciting teams in the league in the Rangers matching up against one of the greatest franchises in MLB who plays the cliche "small ball". There are plenty of household names on each team, so it's not like the casual fan can't recognize plenty of these players.

This is the prototypical AL vs NL type of series, of course I'll watch, although I think the Rangers win with relative ease.

VRP723
10-18-2011, 05:28 PM
To that guy who kept referring to the ESPN Bubble, I'd bet a lot of money that the Cardinals had more games on ESPN than any NL team this year other than the Phillies.

Not saying I disagree with some of his points, but the Cardinals are a pretty well known team, and so are the Rangers for that matter.

Jeffy25
10-18-2011, 05:31 PM
It's the World Series, I don't care who the teams are, if you aren't somewhat interested then I can't see how you consider yourself a fan of baseball.

:clap:

stipe1280
10-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Where else does an opposing player get cheered for making a nice defensive play?

Everywhere I have ever been, people that have visited Busch always have nice things to say about the fans and how they were treated.

When I'm at a game, and I am sitting near someone who is rooting for the opposition, we always have really nice, pleasant conversations.

I've been screamed at at Petco by a five year old for being a Cards fan, I've been booed in Wrigley, and I had a beer thrown at me at Veterans Stadium for wearing a Cardinals hat. And I literally said absolutely nothing in any of those situations.

I don't think you can accurately say the best baseball town in america, but baseball is extremely closely followed by all the St. Louis citizens, baseball fans or not. Midwestern hospitality comes out when you come to Busch. I'm sure there are plenty of negative situations that have existed, but I have never been witness to any of it.

You beat me to it. I've been to quite a few games at Busch (and old Busch) and I've always been impressed with their sheer appreciation for the game...even when opposing teams make big plays.

Also, unlike some of the other bigger markets, I've never seen St. Louis flame their own players. Rasmus says he doesn't want to be there...the fans cheer him on anyway. Pujols may walk away for a bigger contract next year...the fans still love him.

Lincecum4CY
10-18-2011, 05:40 PM
A little bit. Im not rooting against either team because I like them both... i have a slight preference for Texas because its nice to see someone new.

stipe1280
10-18-2011, 05:41 PM
To that guy who kept referring to the ESPN Bubble, I'd bet a lot of money that the Cardinals had more games on ESPN than any NL team this year other than the Phillies.

Not saying I disagree with some of his points, but the Cardinals are a pretty well known team, and so are the Rangers for that matter.

I know the Cards have a great history...yes, they get national TV games. Yes, the Rangers, too, are now known...after last year. My point was that for every 20 seconds of highlights these two teams get, you're pounded with 7-8 minutes of Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies highlights. That's just not enough time for a national market to be exposed to guys like David Freese or Nelson Cruz. Then, when these two players are named series MVP's, everyone says "who?" and considers such performances flukes or one-time occurances. In reality, both teams have other guys (just like Cruz and Freese) who can rival the players that ESPN seems to dump the majority of their focus on. That was my point.

Yankee Clipper
10-18-2011, 05:46 PM
I know the Cards have a great history...yes, they get national TV games. Yes, the Rangers, too, are now known...after last year. My point was that for every 20 seconds of highlights these two teams get, you're pounded with 7-8 minutes of Yankees/Red Sox/Phillies highlights. That's just not enough time for a national market to be exposed to guys like David Freese or Nelson Cruz. Then, when these two players are named series MVP's, everyone says "who?" and considers such performances flukes or one-time occurances. In reality, both teams have other guys (just like Cruz and Freese) who can rival the players that ESPN seems to dump the majority of their focus on. That was my point.

While I agree with you that ESPN does focus on those three teams the most, it is important to look at it from a business perspective. Those three teams provide the most ratings and viewers for ESPN, so in the end you can't really blame them too much for focusing the majority of their attention on the teams that will ultimately provide them with the most revenue.

ne3xchamps
10-18-2011, 05:47 PM
nope, not even a little bit. It would be cool for texas to win, but f it. I don't care.

ne3xchamps
10-18-2011, 05:49 PM

It's not like this is a horrible match up either, you have one of the most exciting teams in the league in the Rangers matching up against one of the greatest franchises in MLB who plays the cliche "small ball". There are plenty of household names on each team, so it's not like the casual fan can't recognize plenty of these players.

This is the prototypical AL vs NL type of series, of course I'll watch, although I think the Rangers win with relative ease.

sorry bro. I only care if the red sox are in it. Guess I'm not a fan of baseball, but that's just the way it is and IMO its not only me. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but its boring as **** if boston isn't in it. Unlike the superbowl or nba finals, I can watch that no matter who is in it.

Jeffy25
10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
sorry bro. I only care if the red sox are in it. Guess I'm not a fan of baseball, but that's just the way it is and IMO its not only me. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but its boring as **** if boston isn't in it. Unlike the superbowl or nba finals, I can watch that no matter who is in it.

That would make you a fan of the Red Sox, not of baseball.

quiksilver2491
10-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Why apologize haha, I know there are plenty of fans like yourself, at least you can admit it. I love the Red Sox as much as anyone on this site, but I'm easily a baseball fan first. IMO, the game is much more important then just a single part of it.

twentysix
10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
As I am mostly a fan of the game in general I care about the game.

fadedmario
10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
:yawn:

ne3xchamps
10-18-2011, 06:15 PM

that's why I said I guess I'm not a fan of baseball, I'm willing to admit that.

Marques24kobe
10-18-2011, 06:20 PM
Im a huge Yankees fan. But once my team gets bounced I have little interest in Baseball. If the Brewers, Cubs, or a team that hasnt been there in a long time I would watch it, though. But the Cardinals won a few years back and the Rangers choked last year and will do the same this year.

The only sport I will watch the champioship game every year no matter who it is, is the Super Bowl. Probablly more of the fact that its winner take all and not a best of seven series.

Jeffy25
10-18-2011, 06:29 PM
that's why I said I guess I'm not a fan of baseball, I'm willing to admit that.

oh, I thought you were being sarcastic. Fair enough.

Boston-Born
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM

What sport do the Red Sox play?

CHRISDODGERS
10-18-2011, 07:18 PM
im a baseball fan

all of this.

plus, i hate the offseason. the WS give me 4 to 7 more games of baseball lol

RTL
10-18-2011, 07:21 PM
If you don't like October baseball, no matter who's playing, there's something wrong with you!

CHRISDODGERS
10-18-2011, 08:17 PM
If you don't like October baseball, no matter who's playing, there's something wrong with you!

:hi5:

Mr. Keys
10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
If I wasn't as busy with midterms I'd be watching every game. I'd probably fail out of college if the Yankees were still in it, which is kind of a bright spot in their loss.

Sweet_Caroline
10-18-2011, 08:40 PM
What sport do the Red Sox play?

Beer Pong

Texas Holders
10-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Cards fan here so... but I usually watch anyway.

sacgiants1213
10-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Definitely not as interested as I was last year. But, playoff baseball is always worth watching.

redbird89
10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
It does seem strange that so many people seem to think that teams from "flyover country" aren't worth watching. Your loss, I suppose. I don't usually watch the World Series if my team isn't it, but it has nothing to do with the size of the markets.

JLynn943
10-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I don't care at all. I don't particularly like or dislike either team. For me to actually care, either the Mets would have to be in it, or some team I hate and could root against (Phillies/Yankees/Braves)

utl768
10-18-2011, 09:41 PM
i didnt even know the nlcs was over till i heard them mention the ws during sportscenter last night

world series has become irrelevant since the boston yankees rivalry sizzled out

OneTuzSea
10-18-2011, 09:45 PM
i didnt even know the nlcs was over till i heard them mention the ws during sportscenter last night

world series has become irrelevant since the boston yankees rivalry sizzled out

Yeah, my favorite World Series' were always the ones between the Yankees and Red Sox.

wat

utl768
10-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah, my favorite World Series' were always the ones between the Yankees and Red Sox.

wat

the world series needs one of those 2 teams to get ppl to care

those lcs matchups were the best baseball prolly ever and it spread over to make the ws matchups interesting

marlins yankees and redsox cardinals are 2 of the best matchups we had that decade

eibbor
10-18-2011, 09:48 PM
It's sad this is even a question. If you don't care you are not a baseball fan, period.

T 980
10-18-2011, 09:51 PM
I care, because I want the Rangers to win it.

Last year, I went out of my way to watch all 5 games. This year...I'm not going out of my way to watch it but if it's on, I'll watch.

utl768
10-18-2011, 09:56 PM
another thing that kills the ws viewership is fox

watching joe buck and tim mccarver for 3 plus hours is painful

Mopped_you
10-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm not interested really, there are no real storylines for me. I don't hate either team, so that takes away from it. If a team I hated was in it I would watch and hope they lose, with the Rangers and Cardinals there is no rooting interest either way so I won't watch but I'll pay somewhat attention. The Phillies being out of it still stings, and I try to stay away from baseball 100% so I don't even think about the fact that they should be playing still. So, no hatred for either team, and a little bit of bitterness = not caring THAT much. Good luck to both teams though.

Jeffy25
10-18-2011, 10:01 PM
the world series needs one of those 2 teams to get ppl to care

those lcs matchups were the best baseball prolly ever and it spread over to make the ws matchups interesting

marlins yankees and redsox cardinals are 2 of the best matchups we had that decade

If either of those teams are in the WS, people are *****ing and moaning that we need a salary cap, and improved parity. It's great to have news teams in it, that's what the sport needs.

Yankees and Red Sox have the majority of fans, followed by the Cubs and Braves. But the sport of baseball has more fans than those teams, and the WS will always be watched by a good number of people, regardless of the teams. Just because some people are only fans of their team, and not of the sport overall, isn't a bad thing, but I would rather see new teams basically every year. While we need a villian (Yankees) to sometimes root for, or a team like the Rays that everyone can bandwagon root for, it'll be great, but baseball had this same issue last year, where not that many people watched the Giants and Rangers. And that's a shame.

Mopped_you
10-18-2011, 10:12 PM
If either of those teams are in the WS, people are *****ing and moaning that we need a salary cap, and improved parity. It's great to have news teams in it, that's what the sport needs.

Yankees and Red Sox have the majority of fans, followed by the Cubs and Braves. But the sport of baseball has more fans than those teams, and the WS will always be watched by a good number of people, regardless of the teams. Just because some people are only fans of their team, and not of the sport overall, isn't a bad thing, but I would rather see new teams basically every year. While we need a villian (Yankees) to sometimes root for, or a team like the Rays that everyone can bandwagon root for, it'll be great, but baseball had this same issue last year, where not that many people watched the Giants and Rangers. And that's a shame.

Definitely this.

There is more parity in baseball than any other sport, and it is great for the game to see different teams in the World Series every year. Baseball is truly un-predictable, that's the beauty of the game. Unfortunately for the casual fan to actually watch and care the Red Sox or Yankees probably HAVE to be playing in it, which is sad.

You're definitely right, that if the Red Sox or Yankees were playing in the World Series people would start up with Salary Cap, buying a championship, and all that nonsense. It's a lose-lose situation.

TrueYankee
10-18-2011, 11:39 PM
uhhhhhh

no

scottythegreat1
10-19-2011, 12:00 AM
I do!!

As a Blue Jays fan, I like seeing teams like these go at it. It is going to be a good world series. It wont get the ratings that a Philly Vs. Red Sox World Series would get, but its still going to be a nail biter.

I also like it when Wild Card teams make it this far, and it certainly could go either way. I figure St. Louis wins it in 6, but it could also go the other way. I just figure that Tony La Russa has his magic wand working again, I see that fairy tale magic a la 2006 coming to life and them being the big underdogs at the beginning of the playoffs and coming in and winning it all.

I hope Texas wins it because I like seeing these teams that havent won it in awhile win it, theyve got the tools they need to win it, but I still say St. Louis has it. Either way, I am remaining neutral and hopefully its good baseball (ie. no real blowouts) all around.

Jeffy25
10-19-2011, 12:04 AM
As a fan of baseball, if I didn't care about either team, it would be cool to the see the Cards win it after being 10.5 back at the end of August and then winning the WS.

Jeffy25
10-19-2011, 12:08 AM
On Aug 24th, the Cards had the 6th best record in the NL, and the 12th best record in baseball.

They were a half game better than the Blue Jays, 67-63

And they won 90, the NLDS, and the NLCS, crazy

23-9 to finish up the season, topped with an additional 7-4 thus far in the playoffs.

Lincecum4CY
10-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Next years world series is going to be kansas city vs. pittsburg.

Dr.Philly
10-19-2011, 01:37 AM
I just wish there were some story lines to add some extra excitement to this match-up. The Pujols free agency thing isn't good enough.

Maybe somebody should talk trash or maybe start a brawl in game one.

Where's Tony Plush when you need him? LOL

Dr.Philly
10-19-2011, 01:43 AM
It does seem strange that so many people seem to think that teams from "flyover country" aren't worth watching. Your loss, I suppose. I don't usually watch the World Series if my team isn't it, but it has nothing to do with the size of the markets.

:laugh2:

You know its the truth:p

I'm not interested really, there are no real storylines for me. I don't hate either team, so that takes away from it. If a team I hated was in it I would watch and hope they lose, with the Rangers and Cardinals there is no rooting interest either way so I won't watch but I'll pay somewhat attention. The Phillies being out of it still stings, and I try to stay away from baseball 100% so I don't even think about the fact that they should be playing still. So, no hatred for either team, and a little bit of bitterness = not caring THAT much. Good luck to both teams though.

This is how I feel too.

RTL
10-19-2011, 01:51 AM
I just wish there were some story lines to add some extra excitement to this match-up. The Pujols free agency thing isn't good enough.

There's also the Rangers winning their first ever WS, same goes for Berkman and Holliday and then there's CJ Wilson impending free agency. Plus there's Young wanting to be traded at the beginning of the season and Nolan Ryan and Daniels turning this team around. Pujols has been the best player in baseball for years and MLB has done a terrible job marketing that. I haven't seen hardly any promos for the WS which is another way MLB has dropped the ball. Pujols should be the focal point driving people to want to see greatness.

dodgerdave
10-19-2011, 02:05 AM
This World Series isn't a cheapie when you consider what the Cardinals had to do to get here. It's not like in 2006 when they got here with a rather marginal 83-79 record. The 2011 team has defied lots of odds considering that Adam Wainwright was shelved for the entire season. And that's before you take into consideration the huge defecit that they had to overcome five weeks before season's end. The 2011 Cardinals are definitely a Cinderella story just like the 2010 Giants or 1988 Dodgers. Plus like someone said, it would great to see the Rangers win their first World Series. A lot of people wrote off the Rangers because of not being able to sign Cliff Lee.

ugafan
10-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Lance Berkman is my favorite player in baseball so it'd be cool to see him win a ring but at the same time I like the Rangers a lot. I'm watching.

More-Than-Most
10-19-2011, 02:29 AM
I will watch if it goes 7... Most of the time I will just check the score on and off. I am not hurt anymore about the Phillies loss but football is the only sport I can watch any team play any team on a regular basis.

More-Than-Most
10-19-2011, 02:30 AM
The Phillies in this are screwed either way...Either we lost to the champs or the other champs did it without Lee.

redbird89
10-19-2011, 02:53 AM

Maybe somebody should talk trash or maybe start a brawl in game one.

Where's Tony Plush when you need him? LOL

You don't need brawls to have a good series. The Phillies and Brewers series had a lot of drama, and there were no fights. Most teams are not the Yankees or the Red Sox.

There are plenty of storylines. For one, most people, including the Cards GM (he admitted it himself) thought it was impossible in August. The players and Tony La Russa decided to just play every game and see what happens. We shouldn't even be in the playoffs, yet here we are in the World Series. If that's not enough to make someone go "wow" then I don't know what is.

One a side note if Prince Fielder had not hit that home run off of C.J. Wilson in the All-Star Game, the Rangers might have home field advantage right now.

There are a lot of interesting things to take from this series, even if there's not the Hollywood/Superstar/childish drama aspect like you see with the East Coast or West Coast teams.

redbird89
10-19-2011, 03:40 AM

Probably most Cardinals fans wouldn't necessarily seriously claim that we're the best fans in baseball. That's more something the media likes to talk about. However, most people who watch the Cardinals probably would admit their fans are pretty decent.

I respect Cub fans in general. You have to respect a fan base that sticks around even though their team hasn't won in so long. That said, I did lose some respect for Cub fans looking back at the Bartman debacle. I was 14 when it happened and I didn't follow baseball that much then. However, seeing how Bartman had death threats and fans were chanting ***hole, it kind of makes me lose respect at least for the fans who did stuff like that. It reflects poorly on the whole fanbase. Of course, people do things in the heat of the moment they wouldn't normally do. People reacted irrationally to Buckner's defensive error and Dekinger's bad call as well. Both of those guys have kind of been forgotten since the teams they screwed have won since then. Winning fixes most things.

The Blues and Rams probably are number 2 and 3, in no particular order, but they get decent support as well. Though, unfortunately for the Blues the Cardinals are in the playoffs right now. But the Blues did sell out pretty much every game last year. So there is decent support, especially if they're not a cellar-dwelling team.

The Cardinals fans probably aren't the best fans in baseball. You can't really rank fans like that. However, many players have said that it's a pretty good place to play, so I'll accept that.

SportsAndrew25
10-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I care about baseball regardless.

iliketurtles24
10-19-2011, 08:53 PM
nope

Giraffes Rule
10-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Has my favorite active player and a pitcher I want to see get lit up. 'course it also helps that there are a ton of bandwagon Rangers fans around where I live, and I'd love for them to be disappointed again. Share in my baseball misery, right?

dodgerdave
10-20-2011, 12:56 AM
I honestly would want to see some Dodgers/Yankees World Series. That's the ultimate World Series matchup. Dodgers/Yankees in baseball is the equivalent of Lakers/Celtics in basketball.

dodgerdave
10-20-2011, 12:56 AM
I honestly would want to see some Dodgers/Yankees World Series. That's the ultimate World Series matchup. Dodgers/Yankees in baseball is the equivalent of Lakers/Celtics in basketball.

RTL
10-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Actually, the Cards/Yankees would be the equivalent:)

McPeak92
10-20-2011, 01:31 AM
Phillies/Yankees*

dodgerdave
10-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Actually, the Cards/Yankees would be the equivalent:)

I see where you're coming from considering that the Cardinals have more rings than the Dodgers. However, in terms of matchups, Dodgers/Yankees have met more often than any other combination of two teams in the World Series. 11 times in fact.

But Yankees/Cards would be great for the sport too. :)

Dr Cyanide 28
10-20-2011, 01:38 AM

boom

PatsSoxKnicks
10-20-2011, 02:08 AM
The biggest problem I have is I don't really know who to root for. I'll probably go for the Rangers but to be honest, I wanted the Tigers and Brewers to win their respective LCS'. So I'm a bit bummed to have the other 2 teams in the World Series. I have no problems with either team but the Rangers were there last year and the Cards have been in the WS 3 different times this decade.

I'll go for the Rangers because my 2nd favorite team is the Cubs and the Cards are their rival, so yeah. But I'm not going to be raging if the Cards win.

Should be a great series though.

turnaround3
10-20-2011, 02:33 AM
To Jeffy:

As far as I'm concerned, everything you described is what makes Busch suck so much.

I've been to Busch Stadiums both new and old, and apart from the sweltering heat (particularly in the wind-less old Busch) and river stink, the worst part of the experience is the cautiously-surly, jort-wearing, "let's go team!" mantra of the average Cardinal fan.

When I go to a ballgame, I get into it. I like to yell stuff, whether I'm in row AA behind the dugout or row 45 of the upper deck. I like to drink a beer and down hot dogs and thoroughly enjoy my ballpark experience. And at Wrigley, The Cell, Miller Park, Great American Ballpark, and Fenway, I've felt right at home doing so.

When I go St. Louis, if I stand up and yell a damn thing it's like I'm breaking some unwritten code of baseball conduct. Every po-dunk townie looks at me like I'm the messenger of the godless heathens that are baseball fans outside of STL.

Oh and as for this "politeness" and whatever it is you're trying to spew about Cardinal fans...please. As a Cub fan, I can't walk 10 feet in that park without hearing "1908!" or something about ****ing goats. It's not that I consider this classless, it's baseball, it's a rivalry, it's fine. It's just the same ****ing thing over and over again. 1908! Goats! The goats in 1908!

Now I see them on tv dressed in squirrel costumes. This is what it's come to. If baseball were a grade school class, Cardinal fans would be the kid in the corner eating paste.

Bulls_fan90
10-20-2011, 04:01 AM
To Jeffy:

As far as I'm concerned, everything you described is what makes Busch suck so much.

I've been to Busch Stadiums both new and old, and apart from the sweltering heat (particularly in the wind-less old Busch) and river stink, the worst part of the experience is the cautiously-surly, jort-wearing, "let's go team!" mantra of the average Cardinal fan.

When I go to a ballgame, I get into it. I like to yell stuff, whether I'm in row AA behind the dugout or row 45 of the upper deck. I like to drink a beer and down hot dogs and thoroughly enjoy my ballpark experience. And at Wrigley, The Cell, Miller Park, Great American Ballpark, and Fenway, I've felt right at home doing so.

When I go St. Louis, if I stand up and yell a damn thing it's like I'm breaking some unwritten code of baseball conduct. Every po-dunk townie looks at me like I'm the messenger of the godless heathens that are baseball fans outside of STL.

Oh and as for this "politeness" and whatever it is you're trying to spew about Cardinal fans...please. As a Cub fan, I can't walk 10 feet in that park without hearing "1908!" or something about ****ing goats. It's not that I consider this classless, it's baseball, it's a rivalry, it's fine. It's just the same ****ing thing over and over again. 1908! Goats! The goats in 1908!

Now I see them on tv dressed in squirrel costumes. This is what it's come to. If baseball were a grade school class, Cardinal fans would be the kid in the corner eating paste.

Thug Life.

Diehdcubsfan2
10-20-2011, 04:55 AM
I laughed turnaround. I love the feeling of Wrigley, its very genuine, very unique. Its also a place where you want to punch the majority of people you see. Its full of ignorance and drunks. So **** can be both ways.

Dr Cyanide 28
10-20-2011, 11:12 AM
To Jeffy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adQXQZ99qmk

Jeffy25
10-20-2011, 11:42 AM
To Jeffy:

That's your prerogative. But I like going to a more family friendly atmosphere.

Sorry about the fans that yell **** at you, they are ********, and I don't support that.

That's the way we are in St. Louis, we like it to be family friendly. We obviously drink (brewery down the street) and it's not like we don't have fun. But most Cardinal fans are not down with yelling obscenities at the players, booing, or getting trashed at the game. I don't think we should have to apologize for that either. It's nice that you can take your kids to the game and not worry about what they are going to be exposed to.

YEDN90
10-20-2011, 12:00 PM
I like this series. You have some great hitters and some shut down pens. On top of that, you have a magical team like the Cards who just squeaked in and are now 3 games from being champions.

MVP1
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Real fans care about this series.

RTL
10-20-2011, 01:50 PM
If Game 1 is any indicator, it's going to be a good series.

thenetslegend
10-20-2011, 02:24 PM
if its not your team then you're not gonna care about it that much. at least its not the yankees

JCmasta
10-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Other than Cardinals and Rangers fans....

I have no feelings towards either of these teams. I like Pujols and Hamilton, however seeing those guys hit isn't enough to keep me interested.

I'll watch the games if I'm bored but i won't really be into it.

How about you guys??

Ratings are down from last year, it seems like people really don't give a crap.

A random NFL regular season game would probably crush the crap out of a game 7 world series game.

Really depressing, especially when your team's in it.

benzni
10-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Who is in it this year?

Didn't you hear that it is boston vs arizona

incorrect

thefeckcampaign
10-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I do not see how anyone can be on this forum and not care.

thefeckcampaign
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
That's your prerogative. But I like going to a more family friendly atmosphere.

Sorry about the fans that yell **** at you, they are ********, and I don't support that.

That's the way we are in St. Louis, we like it to be family friendly. We obviously drink (brewery down the street) and it's not like we don't have fun. But most Cardinal fans are not down with yelling obscenities at the players, booing, or getting trashed at the game. I don't think we should have to apologize for that either. It's nice that you can take your kids to the game and not worry about what they are going to be exposed to.oH MY gOD, we agree! :)

utl768
10-21-2011, 02:34 PM
i care so much that i forgot the game was even on last night

CityofTreez
10-21-2011, 03:52 PM
I certainly care, love the teams in it too.

Rangers coming back last night was amazing, and of course, Josh Hamilton going back to play in warmer weather. I love how they just expect Hamilton to crush everything in his path since the temperature increases by 15-20 degrees.

"Ace"ves
10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
After Craig had two go-ahead pinch hit RBI singles.... now im interested.

I wish the Rangers would've won a little more dramatically... instead of two sacrifice flies... but hey, a comeback is a comeback.

Hope it goes to Game 7 with Cardinals winning

Yankee Clipper
10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
After last night's game, it's safe to say I care even more now.

DJYankee
10-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Haven't been into the World Series (other then the Yankees in 09) since 2002.

ne3xchamps
10-21-2011, 06:25 PM
another thing that kills the ws viewership is fox

watching joe buck and tim mccarver for 3 plus hours is painful

agreed. fox needs to not air the world series, or find some other guys to take those guys' jobs.

ManRam
10-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Not one ounce...

Dr.Philly
10-22-2011, 02:55 PM
To Jeffy:

Damn

You went in son

Fred
10-22-2011, 03:05 PM
When I go to a ballgame, I get into it. I like to yell stuff, whether I'm in row AA behind the dugout or row 45 of the upper deck. I like to drink a beer and down hot dogs and thoroughly enjoy my ballpark experience.

Fred likes this guy...this describes my experience as well, with the exception of "a beer"...I would replace it with "many beers" or "several beers"...other than that, I agree

dtmagnet
10-22-2011, 03:42 PM
It doesn't have to be the Yankees or Red Sox in order for me to care, in fact I hate those teams so I'm glad they're not there.

RamOG
10-22-2011, 05:07 PM
I do know that the more people don't care about this or any World Series, the farther baseball slides down the national scale of importance.

Soon, you will see all MLB playoff and World Series games on Oxygen or OWN instead of Fox, ABC, NBC etc.

It's only a matter of time when today's young adults will lament to their grandchildren how they remember way back when baseball was a national sport played on TV in front of millions of fans in state-of-the-art ball parks.

Dr.Philly
10-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I do know that the more people don't care about this or any World Series, the farther baseball slides down the national scale of importance.

Soon, you will see all MLB playoff and World Series games on Oxygen or OWN instead of Fox, ABC, NBC etc.

It's only a matter of time when today's young adults will lament to their grandchildren how they remember way back when baseball was a national sport played on TV in front of millions of fans in state-of-the-art ball parks.

I disagree

Baseball will be fine. It may not be able to catch the NFL, but its still better than the other sports

Big Zo
10-22-2011, 05:33 PM
NBA cares

koldjerky
10-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I care, but it is harder to pay as close attention since it's not the Phillies.

redbird89
10-22-2011, 06:57 PM
To Jeffy:

Cardinal fans do get pretty excited, and maybe are too quiet at other times. Still, generally Cardinal fans like to say that we are not vicious toward the players like Philly or Boston or New York fans are known for being.

As far as 1908 and goats, I realize that's not original, but if it bothers you then maybe fans see it as effective. I have heard some clever Cub jokes over the years. I'm sure there are some clever Cardinals jokes floating around as well.

I think the jorts thing is kind of exaggerated. Now, I don't mind if people wear jorts, but I really don't see them all that often. You're probably more likely to see cargo shorts or pants. Although, jorts are fairly practical when its 100 degrees outside. New Busch is much breezier than old Busch, and the View is better.

As far as the squirrel thing, it's kind of silly, but it's supposed to be. I definitely don't think it's worse than the Brewers having someone dressed in a Sully costume out on the field. The Angels had a rally monkey, so I don't see any problem in having a rally squirrel.

I've been to Wrigley once. The fans were nice, though they were out of the race by then. Wrigley Field is okay. I realize there's nostalgia and stuff, but practically it's not that great of a ballpark. Maybe I'm just spoiled by newer parks. If you could have the nostalgia of Wrigley Field with some newer amenities, that would be great. The fans were into the game, which was nice, but the fans are usually into it at Busch, too. I'm not sure one was louder than the other. I wouldn't take small children to Wrigley. Busch has a playground and the pavilion and stuff for kids to do. Yes, it is gimmicky, but if you have small children then it's probably nice to have. I also went to Busch with a friend who has difficulty walking. She would probably have a lot more issues at Wrigley.

Actually the most annoying person at Wrigley, when I was there, was a Cardinal fan. It was her 21st birthday and she was loud and belligerent. Cub fans overall were pretty nice, but I haven't been to Wrigley or Busch in the heat of a pennant race.

I do think many Chicagoans seem to have this superiority complex over "podunk" St. Louisans (and the general Cardinal fan area). So it's only natural that Cardinal fans would use their championships as a way to mock Cub fans. I think Cardinal and Cub fans can generally get along, but there definitely is some dislike and distrust there. If one or both teams are out of the running then it's probably more vicious than it otherwise would be. Still, Cub vs. Cardinal games are not known for being as violent as Red Sox vs. Yankee games.

I'm sure both ballparks have lots of drinking going on, too. That said, last few times I've been to Busch I haven't seen many people falling down drunk. I didn't see many at Wrigley either, but I've only been there once.

I think the stereotypes would tell you that Cardinal fans are likely rednecks, wearing jorts, with kids in tow, and never boo their own players and rarely boo opposing players. Stereotypes would also tell you that Cub fans go to Wrigley to party and that the game isn't important, that they're yuppies or frat boys, and that they drink more than just about any other fan base. It does seem like being a Cub fan has become trendy since the 90s. Are those stereotypes true? Not necessarily. Still, that seems to be what people think, based on my observations and what I've read.

I don't claim that Cardinal fans are the best in baseball. Cub fans are good, too. Players seem to like to play in either city. I think Chicago media is known as being more intensive and Wrigley Field is loved by some and hated by others. So the fanbase is a factor among many that players choose. Of course, above all players like money, I think.

I don't necessarily love Cub fans, but I don't despise them, either. I don't always love my own fan base either, especially when some fan does something stupid. But that's the nature of going to the ballpark. You never know for sure how some people will act.

"Ace"ves
10-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Love how the series has been thus far. Hope it stays that way.

Part of me wanted a Red Sox/Phillies World Series.... only with the Red Sox pitching being on their game (Lester, Beckett, and Buchholz pitching like aces).... cause if the Red Sox made it to the WS, Buchholz mightve been ready to go.

Just thinking of Game 1 (halladay v lester), Game 2 (Lee v Beckett).... just close games where each pitch is just killing you....haven't had that feeling since 2001... D'back rotation SOOO nasty

Belmonts
10-23-2011, 11:37 AM
I was going to say, how can you not care? This is obviously the least expected world series match up.

SportsAndrew25
10-23-2011, 09:24 PM
I have paid some attention to it, but I have just been so busy with studying. I have exams and projects up the wazoo right now in college.

turnaround3
10-24-2011, 03:32 AM
Good post redbird. I don't really disagree with any of that.

Anyway yeah, I do have to say, as someone who doesn't particularly like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies, it's certainly a lot more interesting to watch a WS if it features both of a pair of those teams. Watching the Yankees or Red Sox crush the D'Backs or the Phillies **** all over the Twins doesn't really do much for me. Watching two teams that are boring as sin, like this year, is even more painful. If not for the Rangers offense or the fact that I hate the Cardinals I doubt I could even watch this.

I can watch a team like the Tigers because of Verlander. But the point someone made about star-studded pitching staffs making for a more compelling series is dead on.

LOOTERX9
10-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Ratings have been atrocious. I have watched a few of the later innings in these games but can't watch the whole game from the beginning. Just too boring from the start. I can watch the 7th inning on but that's it

getfoul
10-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Ratings have been atrocious. I have watched a few of the later innings in these games but can't watch the whole game from the beginning. Just too boring from the start. I can watch the 7th inning on but that's it

McCarver really takes a lot of enjoyment away from the games for me. What I do is DVR the postseason games, and just plow through them an hour at a time, do something else, and come back an hour later. I don't miss a thing, and I don't have to listen to Buck/McCarver or commercials. Then if it's a close game, I'll watch the last couple innings live.

One Nut Kruk
11-03-2011, 08:24 PM
Screw off you *******