PDA

View Full Version : NBA Official: Progress Was Being Made Until Garnett Entered

Punk
10-17-2011, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE]NBA management believes negotiations with the players changed when Kevin Garnett entered the negotiating room on Oct. 4.

Sources say Garnett was 'defiant, determined and downright ornery.'

As one league official said, “We were making progress, until Garnett [expletive] everything up.”

Regardless of how long the lockout lasts, it will be the players and not the owners that bring the NBA positive publicity again after the labor dispute is settled.

"We can’t have completely poisoned waters here when this is over,” one front-office executive said. “Stern gets that, but I’m not sure all of our owners do. We have to have these guys on board, or where are we as a league?”

Read more:http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_nba_labor_stars_union_101711

I hate that idiot. He is an absolute embarrassment to the NBAPA. He needs to be banned from these meetings if he will not conduct himself properly.

jkiddvc20
10-17-2011, 11:08 PM
**** Garnett I never liked the guy and this makes me like him even less

29$JerZ
10-17-2011, 11:09 PM
It's just his intensity that many have grown to know :shrug:

jetsfan28
10-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Love how they don't mention how they were making progress months ago until it was slowed down by Gilbert and Sarver. Should never have even gotten to this point. But sure, let's all blame the players since they're more visible.

Hawkeye15
10-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Anyone who has made $270 million in NBA salary should not be allowed on the premises of these talks. I am a huge KG fan, but you need to stfu.

NYman15
10-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Wow. I read that he came in defiant and urged the players not to give in, but wow.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Awesome.

More reason to hate him.

Cal827
Damn it KG, this aint the T'wolves, don't hold them up from rebuilding the CBA properly!

Raps18-19 Champ
BTW, his career is almost done.

I don't see him to be the one to care about others too TBH.

jetsfan28
10-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Anyone who has made $270 million in NBA salary should not be allowed on the premises of these talks. I am a huge KG fan, but you need to stfu.

Why? NBA stars make less than stars of any other sport, despite being the most marketable and having probably the most impact (and are 1 of 10 players on the court and 1 of 12 on the roster, meaning they are a bigger piece of the action than football or baseball stars), so why shouldn't those guys be getting a say?

Raps18-19 Champ
10-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Why? NBA stars make less than stars of any other sport, despite being the most marketable and having probably the most impact (and are 1 of 10 players on the court and 1 of 12 on the roster, meaning they are a bigger piece of the action than football or baseball stars), so why shouldn't those guys be getting a say?

Hockey players and NFL players do not make more.

sixer04fan
10-17-2011, 11:46 PM
****ing hate Garnett.

iggypop123
10-17-2011, 11:49 PM
its interesting how people perceive kg's role. yes he is a douche but think about it he is basically giving away his last good year to try and ensure the new generation gets the same cash jordan fought for( ironic since as an owner he is one of the harliners as a poor owner)

Bulls_fan90
10-17-2011, 11:50 PM

Lol what?

Only baseball stars make more money than NBA players.

Also **** KG.

hgtiger32
10-17-2011, 11:51 PM
yeah cuz i'm sure that KG was the only player who said that or that he's the only person to be blamed

Hellcrooner
10-17-2011, 11:54 PM
oh, what a surprise the white dudes sitting on their pile of million dollar bills hanging the blame on the "unruly" "uneducated" Black guy.

Seriously is not the first time during this "negotiations" in wich i get the smell of racism from owners.
It makes me want to puke.

sixer04fan
10-17-2011, 11:55 PM
its interesting how people perceive kg's role. yes he is a douche but think about it he is basically giving away his last good year to try and ensure the new generation gets the same cash jordan fought for( ironic since as an owner he is one of the harliners as a poor owner)

Or he's willing to risk a year's salary for the lesser paid players because of his ego and because he can afford to, unlike those lesser paid players.

Cal827
10-17-2011, 11:55 PM

Oh, many of us know... it's just that we really miss basketball :(

also I can just think of KG and Jordan on opposite sides of the table trying to negotiate... with their egos, probably a lot of yelling and chest punching.

sixer04fan
10-17-2011, 11:57 PM
oh, what a surprise the white dudes sitting on their pile of million dollar bills hanging the blame on the "unruly" "uneducated" Black guy.

Seriously is not the first time during this "negotiations" in wich i get the smell of racism from owners.

What???

Haha, yes. It's obviously racism. Of course. :facepalm:

DoMeFavors
10-17-2011, 11:57 PM
Another story probably blown way out of proportion

NYKnicksAllDay
10-18-2011, 12:00 AM

:laugh: Where are you getting any of this from? Seriously?

homestarunner93
10-18-2011, 12:03 AM

Of course, whenever a black person is implicated in the wrong, just call racism. The easy and obvious way to win any argument.

BudGrant
10-18-2011, 12:04 AM
Yup... roughly 90% of the NBA is black and there is racism.

Hellcrooner
10-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Yup... roughly 90% of the NBA is black and there is racism.

Wahts the % of owners?

Michael jordan and.............?

naps
10-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Love KG's game and intensity on the court but he should not be anywhere near these meetings and needs to STFU! I read that a week ago that KG, Robert Sarvar, and Dan Gilbert were creating all the obstacles :mad:

naps
10-18-2011, 12:14 AM

C'mon now :facepalm:

Bruno
10-18-2011, 12:15 AM
52% players, 48% owners, no hard cap, x2 luxury tax for every dollar after ten million over the cap. START DA SEASON!

...get it done Mitch.

BudGrant
10-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Wahts the % of owners?

Does it matter? If I was in the NBA and making millions I wouldn't care if my owner was white, black, green, purple, etc. You get the point.

Raps18-19 Champ
10-18-2011, 12:23 AM
Wahts the % of owners?

It's racism that black people don't own teams?

Raps18-19 Champ
10-18-2011, 12:23 AM
52% players, 48% owners, no hard cap, x2 luxury tax for every dollar after ten million over the cap. START DA SEASON!

...get it done Mitch.

That's what I've been saying basically. Except make it x4 luxury cap to make parity a bit easier.

Knowledge
10-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Espn did a story on this a few days ago except in there story it wasnt just KG. It was KG, Pierce, and Kobe who came and messed things up

David Stern, Billy Hunter, Derek Fisher, Adam Silver, Spurs owner Peter Holt, union lawyers Ron Klempner and Jeffrey Kessler ... with various others dropping in from time to time, that crew of seven had met more than 40 times and for untold hours over the last two years. None of them had had good summers.

But all those hours in rented conference rooms, all those dishes of hotel mints, rows of water glasses and catered lunches had not been a total waste of time. They had led to some things. The league had dropped its insistence on a hard cap, for instance. The players had offered to hand over something close to a billion dollars in future earnings.

And more importantly, by last Tuesday, there was a deal in the air.

Both sides were still keeping their best offers secret ... but those in the room say they were getting a sense where things were headed. You can tell a hell of a lot about where things are headed, Stern says, "if you listen."

"We thought we could live," union head Hunter said later on WFAN, "with the deal we were close to making."

On Oct. 4, the NBA's negotiators entered a midtown Manhattan hotel with more than a little glimmer of hope.

There would still be issues to deal with, like the luxury tax, cap exceptions and the length of contracts. But even the hardest-bitten journalists in the hallway allowed that it could, finally, be deal day.

The league's negotiators had four things going for them:
A memory of Kessler suggesting, about a month earlier, in another hotel, at another meeting, that the players might go for something like a 50/50 split of basketball revenues.
Out of a meeting with owners in Dallas, little consensus about what Stern could offer the players, but nevertheless an agreement among owners to empower the league's labor committee to negotiate with players "on all points."
The league's labor committee, more than a third of the league's owners, including those from the Lakers, Knicks, Celtics and Spurs, assembled in New York ready to deal.
The scheduled November start of the regular season around the corner.

What happened next will one day be studied by students of labor, business, race relations and more.

Nobody disputes that Stern and Silver talked to Fisher and Kessler in the hallway, bringing up what they thought would be music to Kessler's ears. His offer, of splitting basketball-related income down the middle ... maybe it was time to see if the two sides could sell that to their respective groups.

Stern was confident he could talk enough owners into it, and as for the players ... Kessler was their pit bull. And this was his idea!

Having floated their big idea, the offer so sweet it just might get them in trouble with their owners, the league officials were excited to know they at least had a victory in the bag. They'd have a long night of dealing with systems issues ahead of them, but maybe, just maybe, this long summer of meetings could be wrapped up. Maybe the season would be intact.

Denied

As Stern has recounted a dozen times since, not long after what was supposed to have been the hallway conversation that saved the season, something odd and wholly unexpected happened. There was a knock on the door where Stern was selling his owners on the idea. The players wanted to talk.

When they convened, instead of the union's head, Hunter, or its negotiating committee of Maurice Evans, Matt Bonner, Roger Mason, Theo Ratliff, Etan Thomas and Chris Paul, representing the players were Fisher, Kessler and three superstars who had been to very few of the meetings at all: Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Kobe Bryant.

A bad sign: Pierce was still wearing his backpack.

The players had two pieces of news that shocked the league: 50/50 was not good enough. And there was nothing further to discuss.

"We had a large group of owners," remembers Silver, "who had flown in and were prepared to negotiate around the clock."

More importantly, they had made an aggressively good offer, the NBA's leaders thought, the one that might get them in trouble with their owners but surely not with the players.

And players who hadn't even been in the talks, and who seemed not to be on the same page with the crew that had endured more than 40 meetings, had been the ones to reject the best offer the league was likely to have, and to end the best day of negotiations prematurely.

What in the hell was going on? How had they so misread the situation? And where was Hunter? Who spoke for the union? Should the league have been negotiating with Garnett all along?

Later the league would suggest that the talks had fallen apart because the union happened to have some particularly strident players show up that day.

Maybe it's as simple as that. Or maybe it's much more complicated.

Patently false

Here's one explanation of why the players rejected that 50/50 offer: Perhaps they never made it.

Union vice president and Spurs forward Matt Bonner says "Kessler definitely didn't offer 50/50. There's no way."

Bonner points out that it had been a "huge ordeal" to persuade players to agree to take only 53 percent, after a dozen years of earning 57. "That was a huge point of contention. Talking to all these veterans and All-Stars, they were upset we went down to 53. We had to sell them on that. I'm pretty certain Kessler didn't have the authority to offer 50, and nobody in the room would have agreed to that."

Another union official allows Kessler may have said something in the weeks prior that could have been misunderstood as offering 50, but "it's patently false," he says, that Kessler made anything like a proposal. "There's a lot of discussion back and forth that takes place, particularly in the small group meetings. It's a complete mischaracterization to say that whatever happened constituted any kind of formal proposal at that point."

In either case, nothing here can be considered remotely good news for basketball fans. The moment when it seemed like negotiators may have been all together at the same number was the most optimistic of the entire process. That it may have always been a misunderstanding, or more importantly that owners seem to genuinely have no interest in going higher than 50, and players genuinely no interest in going below 53, makes this look bad -- before even touching the thorny issues of the luxury tax, raises and cap exceptions.

Stern said Friday that he's not sure whether he can even get his owners to go for 50 anymore. Meanwhile, I asked Bonner if he thought the owners would to higher than 50, and he said "I hope so, for the sake of the season."

Now it's no longer a story of what Hunter and Stern may be able to hash out in a hotel. Now it's about big groups of owners and players, all across the globe, who are not close to seeing eye-to-eye, but do have final say.

"System changes"

There's another thing that could be happening, too.

Remember The Decision? That night in July 2010, something happened that angered basketball fans like nothing else. It can be framed as LeBron James being egotistical, or cowardly, or whatever else. But it can also be framed as a young black man just being sick of doing what old white guys tell him to do.

There was a playbook for free agency, a procedure, some decorum. And James tossed it. No, after earning Dan Gilbert the sun, the moon and the stars, he does not also owe him a phone call. No, he doesn't have to let some other, whiter, older entity control the production of his announcement. No, he doesn't have to stick to the storyline of local hero, or even player. He really does have the power to play GM, to assemble a super team, and that's what he would do.

The message to a lot of fans was that James just got it all wrong. But the message to a lot of players was that James did what 1,000 players have been dreaming of doing for years -- he acted fully empowered -- and it's hard to say he failed at it. He made his millions, and the Finals. His team is intact. His business life is sound. He'll be contending for championships for years.

It's a business revolution with young black men, basketball players, in the corner offices. A new way of doing things, long overdue, and happening now.

And maybe that's what Stern encountered in that hotel room in New York: a new generation of fully empowered players who no longer believe they have to conform to much of anything.

Just three days earlier, with James in attendance, James' teammate Dwyane Wade had yelled at Stern. "You're not pointing your finger at me," Wade said, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher. "I'm not your child."

On Friday, a role player for a middling team got a surprise phone call, from just about the biggest name in the sport -- somebody who had never called him before. The message: Hold firm at 53. We're not caving. Hang in there. It wasn't the only call of its kind, and when you talk to players now there is religious fervor, around the number 53, and around not giving owners any freebies on the other issues.

Owners are indignant that they have endured dreadful losses that must be righted. Players, meanwhile, are indignant that compared to the old CBA every concession to date has come from them. The issues are sounding more religious than ever, and it's doubtful that, at the moment, anyway, either Hunter or Stern is capable of rallying his followers to build a bridge to the other side.

And if it's driven by players' blossoming and deep-rooted self-determination, then they can't be expected to budge. I just hope, for the NBA's sake, that they chose the correct line to draw in the sand.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/32504/the-moment-the-talks-fell-apart

I can kinda believe it. I mean some of these guys have been more involved in playing pick up basketball and spreading their own brand rather being involved in the negotiating process. Superstar players have nothing to lose since they already made their money and can always get money for appearances.

Could be entirely fabricated by someone on the NBA side of things and its never sage to trust either one of these sides when they release information like this, but it isnt that far-fetched.

PurpleJesus
10-18-2011, 12:29 AM

sarcasm or...???

If you are an NBA star, you are either making 10-20 mill a year, or are in line for a contract that pays you that much...Hockey and Football certainly dont pay there stars that much, and there are only certain Baseball players that make more than that.

mjt20mik
10-18-2011, 12:34 AM
This the same league source that said the Owners agreed (verbally) to a 50 - 50 split when in actuality they never moved from their 47% proposal.

:facepalm:

John Walls Era
10-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Did KG go in and shout at the owners and said **** everything?

Bruno
10-18-2011, 01:03 AM
That's what I've been saying basically. Except make it x4 luxury cap to make parity a bit easier.

I don't think big guns will ever agree to x4. If the top 6-7 money earning franchises agree to more revenue sharing the little guys will take a x2, already a 100% increase from the last CBA

asmarks18
10-18-2011, 01:03 AM
KG is a DB

Catfish1314
10-18-2011, 01:06 AM
This is how every bad story starts. "We were having a great time, but all of a sudden Kevin Garnett..."

Corey
10-18-2011, 01:07 AM
This is how every bad story starts. "We were having a great time, but all of a sudden Kevin Garnett..."

:laugh:

hugepatsfan
10-18-2011, 01:15 AM
If KG, or any other 1 player, getting upset completely derailed everything, I would argue not too much progress was being made in the first place.

iliketurtles24
10-18-2011, 01:48 AM
hahah really

heyman321
10-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Wahts the % of owners?

Why are there no Asian owners? That's racist. No Indian owners? That's racist. No female owners? That's sexist. Sheesh.

I hate Pau Gasol and his dirty neck beard.

Bruno
10-18-2011, 02:08 AM
Why are there no Asian owners? That's racist. No Indian owners? That's racist. No female owners? That's sexist. Sheesh.

But Paul McCartneys neck beard is cool right? That's racist bro :cool:

iam brett favre
10-18-2011, 02:20 AM
If one player can really stop negotiations than obviously talks arent strong at all

iam brett favre
10-18-2011, 02:21 AM
But Paul McCartneys neck beard is cool right? That's racist bro :cool:

dont ever try to hate on paul mccartney :pity:

Bruno
10-18-2011, 02:50 AM
dont ever try to hate on paul mccartney :pity:

haha, you have no idea. I'm the biggest Beatle fan on PSD. and was joking.

I was making reference to his avatar.

Hellcrooner
10-18-2011, 02:53 AM

how many Asians have played in the league? 10?
Indians?.....I dont remember a single one.

Black people? 75% of all the players that have laced their shoes at least in one game? ( 90 % since the mid 60s)

Then again? whats the percentage of black owners?.

iam brett favre
10-18-2011, 02:56 AM
haha, you have no idea. I'm the biggest Beatle fan on PSD. and was joking.

I was making reference to his avatar.

Haha I figured you were making a reference to his avatar - how did this thread turn into a racist argument?

bholly
10-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Pretty sure this is the same incident that Simmons talked about a few days ago:

Kevin Garnett, who inexplicably turned into Norma Rae these past few weeks and led the charge to fight the fight and stand strong … without, of course, ever mentioning that his agent was savvy enough to defer a significant amount of money from his last contract extension so that he still has fresh money coming in this season (unlike 95 percent of the players), or that a 50-game regular season would be absolutely perfect for his aching knees, or that losing two months of 2011-12 money might help him with his next contract because he won't break down during a shortened season (increasing the odds that he'll get one last lucrative extension next summer).

Should someone who's earned over $300 million (including endorsements) and has deferred paychecks coming really be telling guys who have made 1/100th as much as him to fight the fight and stand strong and not care about getting paid? And what are Garnett's credentials, exactly? During one of the single biggest meetings (last week, on Tuesday), Hunter had Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce and Garnett (combined years spent in college: three) negotiate directly with Stern in some sort of misguided "Look how resolved we are, you're not gonna intimidate us!" ploy that backfired so badly that one of their teams' owners was summoned into the meeting specifically to calm his player down and undo some of the damage. (I'll let you guess the player. It's not hard.) And this helped the situation … how? And we thought this was going to work … why?

Congratulations, players — you showed solidarity! You showed you wouldn't back down! You made things worse, and you wasted a day, but dammit, you didn't back down! Just make sure you tell that to every team employee who gets fired over these next few weeks, as well as to all the restaurant and bar owners near NBA arenas who are taking a massive financial hit through the holidays. I'm sure they will be proud of you.

Source:http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7100999/avoiding-lockout-red-sox

Supreme LA
10-18-2011, 07:16 AM

MJ fought for or MJ earned??? Few players today actually deserve the max contracts they are given. MJ said himself that the game is being cheated because "players are given things they haven't earned." Owners have been paying young stars with a great amount of potential as if they have already brought a championship to the organization. I don't blame the players though.

zizo
10-18-2011, 07:26 AM
thank you KG
fcuk the owners

heyman321
10-18-2011, 08:17 AM
how many Asians have played in the league? 10?
Indians?.....I dont remember a single one.

Black people? 75% of all the players that have laced their shoes at least in one game? ( 90 % since the mid 60s)

Then again? whats the percentage of black owners?.

So what? Black people being the majority of players has nothing to do with the absence of black owners. If there were more black multi billionaires, then there would be more black owners. It just so happens that most billionaires are white. You don't get to be an owner on the basis how many white or black people play in the NBA.

kozelkid
10-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Having star players dictate these negotiations is a HUGE issue. Unlike the average typical player, they lose very little since they still make a ton off endorsements and other crap.

MR.TRIPDUB
10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Was he on all fours trying to intimidate the "smaller" owners;)

ne3xchamps
10-18-2011, 06:29 PM
here we go with the KG hate... awesome. Too bad he's the only one with balls to stand up and say stuff, but I'm sure he isn't the only one. Get over it.

nystandup
10-18-2011, 06:35 PM
here we go with the KG hate... awesome. Too bad he's the only one with balls to stand up and say stuff, but I'm sure he isn't the only one. Get over it.

You can't be yelling and screaming in the negotiating room like a baby. Instead of using his antics to intimidate on the basketball court, the same can not be used in negotiating a business deal. All he is doing is playing right into the owners hands.

RZZZA
10-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Pretty sure this is the same incident that Simmons talked about a few days ago:

Source:http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7100999/avoiding-lockout-red-sox

Yeah....I'm not convinced that most of these NBA players even have the brains to have any place in any sort of business discussion with david stern.

Leave it to Fish.

Hellcrooner
10-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Having star players dictate these negotiations is a HUGE issue. Unlike the average typical player, they lose very little since they still make a ton off endorsements and other crap.

Do you realize that the NBA MINIMUM salray for 1 year is about 10 times what a VERY LUCKY citizen does? and bout the same amount the average citizen earns in 20 Years?

they shouldnt be in any finantial problem even if the season is canceled, specially considering there are like 80 leagues where they can sign contracts and earn some money .

RZZZA
10-18-2011, 07:05 PM
^These people wouldn't ever have money problems if they had the life style of you or me or an average person, but they don't. They have big mansions with big mortgages, boats and bar tabs, and taxes on all their assets.

The more money you have, the more you're forced to spend.

Kashmir13579
10-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Why did you trip Toney Douglas, KG, WHY?

I don't respect this guy on or off the court. You're one of the highest payed players in the history of the NBA. SHUT YOUR DAMN MOUTH.

Kashmir13579
10-18-2011, 07:13 PM

Love this coming from a Celtics fan. There are times where you put your stripes on the shelf - like now. You currently have no team to root for, making this bigger than your fanboyism.

kgformvp21
10-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Yup its all Kevins fault!!!

MrfadeawayJB
10-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Damn it KG

trini_knickfan
10-18-2011, 07:49 PM
damn u KG :D

sorry gotta go with the consensus! Ima follower

Hawkeye15
10-18-2011, 07:49 PM

Of the 4 major sports, NBA players make WAY more on average.

Point is, a player who has made $270 million in his career should thank god he played in the effed up system that has created this lockout, and stfu and stay away. You are the reason the 99' lockout happened basically, with your $120 million deal as a child, forcing some vets to say, "hey, wait a minute, where is my money". KG has done enough damage to the CBA in his 15 years.

Cosmic_Canon
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM

Fair point

If KG, or any other 1 player, getting upset completely derailed everything, I would argue not too much progress was being made in the first place.

But they don't hear you though

_KB24_
10-18-2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyjOy7fRzs0

I'm expecting this is how KG walked in :laugh2:

Sly Guy
10-18-2011, 08:23 PM

actually, I kinda agree. He's on what's likely his last contract, so I don't see how the new CBA is so critical to his own earnings.

Giraffes Rule
10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah, one player completely ****ed up the negotiations for everyone. I'm not buying this PR bull****.

Shmontaine
10-18-2011, 10:48 PM

this is pathetic...

you obviously have a negatively biased view of americans and white people... it's really sad, actually... you're the one bringing up race and it's correlation to being uneducated... seems like you're the racist... go puke...

wasn't KG sitting on his pile of money, blaming the white-man??? (did that comment have the smell of racism)

PAOboston
10-18-2011, 11:26 PM
some of you need to stop being such sheep and actually use your brains. do you honestly believe that KG walked into the meeting room and ****ed everything up by himself? give me a break. this is stern propaganda for we are no where remotely close to a deal so i'm gonna try and blamethe players (in this case kg) for "messing" up the negotiations.

Cosmic_Canon
10-18-2011, 11:32 PM
this is pathetic...

you obviously have a negatively biased view of americans and white people... it's really sad, actually... you're the one bringing up race and it's correlation to being uneducated... seems like you're the racist... go puke...

wasn't KG sitting on his pile of money, blaming the white-man??? (did that comment have the smell of racism)

The point he's trying to make, is that the owners are trying to paint a picture for the fans, that KG is the reason for no deal. The loud black person, male or female, is a common stereotype. It's much easier, to sit here and blame KG. Which subsequently puts the blame back on players', "greedy entitled millionaires", you know the typical sayings already. KG is a easy scapegoat, while the elephant has been in the room for awhile. This elephant, is that the owners and players are far apart.

It's ridiculous to say, that KG(who has no real power in these meetings) was the LONE reason why no progress was made. If anything, it's a cheap attempt of a scapegoat. At the end of the day, this lockout has been a battle of PR, and both sides have been trying to spin things in their favor. So far, the owners are winning this battle in a landslide.

astrosmaniac
10-18-2011, 11:46 PM

probably because someone who has kevin garnett's level of financial success/security isnt exactly representing the typical NBA player. Does missing one season mean as much to him and how he lives as it does to guys who are playing on contracts in the 1-3 million dollar range?

astrosmaniac
10-18-2011, 11:54 PM
The point he's trying to make, is that the owners are trying to paint a picture for the fans, that KG is the reason for no deal. The loud black person, male or female, is a common stereotype. It's much easier, to sit here and blame KG. Which subsequently puts the blame back on players', "greedy entitled millionaires", you know the typical sayings already. KG is a easy scapegoat, while the elephant has been in the room for awhile. This elephant, is that the owners and players are far apart.

It's ridiculous to say, that KG(who has no real power in these meetings) was the LONE reason why no progress was made. If anything, it's a cheap attempt of a scapegoat. At the end of the day, this lockout has been a battle of PR, and both sides have been trying to spin things in their favor. So far, the owners are winning this battle in a landslide.

because KG has a history of acting like a tough guy who tries to get his way on the court by intimidating people. look if you want to say KG is being used as a scapegoat, by all means do so. But there's a reason that KG is the one being blamed and not so much pierce (who was allegedly in this same meeting as well, along with kobe). It's because of who KG is, not cause of his race.

gotoHcarolina52
10-19-2011, 12:08 AM
REPORT: Kevin Garnett feels badly about how things went down, issues visual apology. To view Kevin's message, please click here (http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/594379873/kgface.jpg).

J4KOP99
10-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Ah, this is all horseshit. If this report had been quoting a fellow player, then I'd believe it. But of course the owners/league officials are going to try and spin everything.

Cosmic_Canon
10-19-2011, 12:20 AM
because KG has a history of acting like a tough guy who tries to get his way on the court by intimidating people. look if you want to say KG is being used as a scapegoat, by all means do so. But there's a reason that KG is the one being blamed and not so much pierce (who was allegedly in this same meeting as well, along with kobe). It's because of who KG is, not cause of his race.

What you said, and blaming one person is easier than addressing the elephant in the room. KG is clearly the scapegoat. I would go more on the race issue, but it's clear the argument would go no where.

J4KOP99
10-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Also, I'd argue that I hate Kevin Garnett (the player) more than anyone else on this board, but c'mon... this story just screams "spin!"

I think HugePatsFan said this earlier in the thread, if this is all it took to derail the talks, then clearly things never really got that far in the first place.

Cosmic_Canon
10-19-2011, 12:24 AM
@J4KO
Exactly, it's quite obvious.

stawka
10-19-2011, 12:47 AM
So what exactly did KG say or do? Or did he just **** things up by being there? WTF?!

HiphopRelated
10-19-2011, 08:42 AM
This is some bullsh1t....if they were "that close" KG isn't stopping sh1t unless he pulled a Crittenton.

The league really knows how to use propaganda to take heat off them

mttwlsn16
10-19-2011, 08:45 AM
moron

LongIslandIcedZ
10-19-2011, 09:21 AM
I hate you kevin garnett

Heediot
10-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Or he's willing to risk a year's salary for the lesser paid players because of his ego and because he can afford to, unlike those lesser paid players.

Yeah, his next contract will more than likely be a mid-level exemption. So he can afford to push his salary into another season. This is strategic to make him look like a saint that cares about the future of his colleagues.

Hellcrooner
10-19-2011, 12:40 PM
no racism uh?

what did that Owner mean with "stay White" ? :p

Shmontaine
10-19-2011, 01:04 PM
no racism uh?

what did that Owner mean with "stay White" ? :p

exactly my point... you look for racism in every comment... who's the racist?? or are you joking now???

Hellcrooner
10-19-2011, 01:20 PM
exactly my point... you look for racism in every comment... who's the racist?? or are you joking now???

doenst the :p imply im joking?

Shmontaine
10-19-2011, 01:34 PM
doenst the :p imply im joking?

uhh.. i get it, thanks... i also get that you were so disgusted with the "smell" of racist comments earlier you wanted "to puke"... now you make jokes about it... it's pathetic...

justinnum1
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
garnett is a douche

Hellcrooner
10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
uhh.. i get it, thanks... i also get that you were so disgusted with the "smell" of racist comments earlier you wanted "to puke"... now you make jokes about it... it's pathetic...

man, if you cant see all this kg **** is trying to manipulate fans vs players you are seriously blind.

RevisIsland
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
Why does this KG thing not surprise me at all?

Shmontaine
10-19-2011, 01:58 PM
man, if you cant see all this kg **** is trying to manipulate fans vs players you are seriously blind.

are you still joking here?? I could've of sworn you were talking about racism... which is it??? i'm not arguing that this isn't a ploy from the owners against the players, it clearly is... that's all it is, you brought the 'smell' of racism into this thread... you stated it was making you want 'to puke' because it was so sneakily racist...

GiantsSwaGG
10-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Why is KG still in the league?

I hope someone takes his legs out next year when the NBA season begins!

Shmontaine
10-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Why is KG still in the league?

I hope someone takes his legs out next year when the NBA season begins!

i know i speak for crooner here -- such racist comments like these are simply unacceptable... it wreaks of racism...

Hellcrooner
10-19-2011, 02:05 PM
i know i speak for crooner here -- such racist comments like these are simply unacceptable... it wreaks of racism...

nope, that comment is simply disgusting.

Shmontaine
10-19-2011, 02:09 PM
nope, that comment is simply disgusting.

care to comment on my previous post?? or are we simply ignoring that one...

Hellcrooner
10-19-2011, 02:12 PM
care to comment on my previous post?? or are we simply ignoring that one...

ill stand by my original position.

and if you are trying to deny there is racism in the usa, you are delusional, there is racism and xenophobia everywhere in teh world.

GiantsSwaGG
10-19-2011, 02:15 PM

:facepalm:Racist

NickyNick
10-19-2011, 02:17 PM
you guys honestly think 1 person is to blame for this? if so the NBA as a whole is a joke

Hellcrooner
10-19-2011, 02:20 PM
http://www.yourblackworld.com/2011/10/02/dr-boyce-five-reasons-the-nba-is-now-afraid-of-black-men/

mzgrizz
10-19-2011, 02:21 PM
It does not surprise me that KG could create a problem.

Shmontaine
10-19-2011, 02:21 PM
you guys honestly think 1 person is to blame for this? if so the NBA as a whole is a joke

of course not, but this idea didn't seem to stop people from blaming 2 owners, sarver and gilbert... i don't believe they were able to put brakes on negotiations either, as i don't believe KG killed negotiations in this case... but i would ask why the hell they let KG in the building to begin with, he definitely wasn't going to HELP the process..

Cosmic_Canon
10-19-2011, 02:35 PM
http://www.yourblackworld.com/2011/10/02/dr-boyce-five-reasons-the-nba-is-now-afraid-of-black-men/

:clap::clap:
But let Show and others live though. No sense in continue arguing, let bygones be bygones.

smith&wesson
10-19-2011, 02:48 PM
garnets an idiot. he is on his last legs. its in his best interest for the nba to start playing asap??

he probably scared boston will use the emnesty clause on him.

The goods
10-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Someone had to take the blame and guess who did? KG
Had they said kobe, or wade no one would've believed them.

Shmontaine
10-19-2011, 03:11 PM

thanks for sharing this article... it was an interesting read...

Many of us read with interest about the blow up between NBA superstar Dwyane Wade and commissioner David Stern. In a heated discussion that took place during the pending NBA lockout, Wade told Stern that he “isn’t his child,” and then stormed out of the meeting. I read about the interaction with curiosity, wondering whether or not I was witnessing the kind of revolt that hasn’t been seen among black athletes since the 1960s.

IMO, this is exactly what you are doing, looking for racism wherever you can.. this was hardly a white vs. black... it was owners vs. players...

If this is the case, then NBA team owners are rightfully nervous. If black professional athletes were to get even a whiff of the power that they truly possess, they’d be amazed at what they could do. Here are five reasons that the NBA now has good reason to fear black men:

so, this is basically foreshadowing that the entire article is this man's opinion based on his own worldview and history of african american global power movement... more power to him, but it's a biased viewpoint, and not based on any real facts...

1) The athletes have options: Unlike the NFL, there is a strong global market for well-branded professional basketball players. When I taught a class in China, I was amazed by the fact that every single boy in my class loved the game of basketball; every television in the cafeteria featured the NBA finals, and one of my students actually told me that every boy he knows plays basketball at least once a week. There are opportunities for players around the world, so most high quality players (except for the perpetually sad Delonte West, who is working in a hardware store) have something to do during the lockout. What’s even worse for team owners is that the more the players spend time playing overseas, the more they may realize that it’s not such a terrible existence after all. As in any relationship (dating, professional, etc.), having options is almost always a good thing.

nobody can deny this, but these players will realize that the NBA is a great place to work once they experience their work lives in europe and china IMO...

2) They are not afraid: Wade’s blow up at Commissioner Stern has all the racial undertones of a scene from the movie “Roots.” The fact that Wade referred to Stern as “David” on multiple occasions also says that Wade is not interested in submitting to the standard social hierarchy that exists between black men and old, wealthy white guys.

again, this guy is searching, pretty desperately, to make this comparison IMO... white and black discussions are not all about race... like this one, it's about money and power...

Some athletes work to maintain stereotypes of ignorance and a superficial focus on all things material, while some have learned that wealth must be mixed with thoughtful behavior in order to maintain itself. When one puts intelligence, power, unity and courage all in the same room, you’ve got the socio-political equivalent of a nuclear bomb. These brothers don’t appear to be backing down.

I have no idea where he came to this conclusion... again, IMO this is about money and power... not about white oppressors vs. black rebels...

3) They know how to work together: The fact that Wade conspired with LeBron James to play together in Miami says that these guys have risen above the divide-and-conquer mentality typically held among professional athletes. They communicate with one another and seem to have realized that joining forces gives them a tremendous amount of power both on and off the court. Historically, NBA labor negotiations have been heavily skewed in favor of team owners, who vote in lockstep on nearly every issue. By engaging in the same degree of collusion, Wade and his colleagues have tipped the scales back at least a little bit.

this made me laugh... this guy basically says they conspired with each other and created a big rouse during free agency, and he's acting like that's a good thing... I guess, deceit and dishonesty is okay for this guy, as long as it's the african americans doing it...

4) They’re a lot more educated than they used to be: With the advent of the Internet, there has been an explosion in the sharing of ideas and information. It’s no longer cool for black men to be ignorant, and athletes can not only reach the public on their own accord, but they also have unprecedented access to intellectual resources. By watching many of their predecessors end up broke and powerless, some (not all) NBA athletes come to the league equipped with the tools necessary to be successful in both life and sports. They realize that being financially and politically savvy are just as important as being able to dunk a basketball.

he contradicts himself here... he says 'a lot more educated' then goes on to say 'some, not all come into the league prepared.... ' it's all pretty much a slap in the face of the african americans before dwade, which i think is wrong...

5) They are principled and battle-hardened: Dwyane Wade (I’ve never met him, only his publicist, who warned me to stop misspelling his name in my articles – I still want to call him “Dwayne” – why did his mama switch the letters anyway?) appears to be a man with a degree of life experience and conscientiousness that goes above and beyond the size of his paycheck. I watched this single dad fight like hell for the right to see his sons, and in quite a few ways, Wade is openly defiant of nearly every stereotype the American public wants to have about black men in this country. The fact that he and James have already stated that they have no problem sitting out for an entire season serves as notice to NBA owners that by utilizing hard ball negotiating tactics, they are jeopardizing the existence and economic stability of the NBA – it’s scary to fight with an opponent who is willing to go down bloody and burning.

i think it's funny this guy has tried to talk with dwade, only to be turned away... seems to me like an association with dwade would help out the author more than give dwade justification for his actions.. JMO, though... I'm sure the top paid athletes have no problem sitting out a year, but alas, this is supposed to be about the masses, not the top 5% of players and owners...

Beyond the financial implications of the NBA lockout negotiations lies a deeper and more serious display of racial dynamics at work. While team owners are still going to put the hammer on the heads of the athletes, we may see a dramatic shift in the athlete-owner paradigm. In the nervous eyes of NBA owners, they may end up naming this drama “The Rise of the Planet of the Athletes.”

this sums it up for me... completely one-sided, from a top african american athlete against an oppressive white ownership viewpoint... he uses suggestive language like 'owners are still going to put the hammer to heads of the athletes' to give a visual sign of oppression... kinda weak IMO... there are many more nervous players (black and white) than owners... this really didn't sway me to believe anything other than this guy, an activist for african american power in the global economy, is trying to persuade people to think what Dwade did was right, and justified... i disagree... dwade's actions showed he was exactly what he was yelling about, "a child"... a rich one.... and this guy is trying to use it to prove his opinionated viewpoint...

Hellcrooner
10-19-2011, 03:53 PM
maybe you like this one better

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/32813465

yep, is not only me sensing the smell.