PDA

View Full Version : Which 'elite' player would YOU sign this free agent period?

StayOnBoard
10-17-2011, 05:12 PM
I haven't seen this posted, so apologies if it has.

We have been talking lots of about Reyes, Pujols, Fielder, CJ Wilson and CC Sabathia (assuming he opts out). So, the question is out of the top 5 listed above, who would you go after and why?

Keep into consideration the players salary/years of service that'll be required so, we can all play arm chair GM. :) Also, mention your team - it'll be interested to see who would like which player and why/for how much!

Poll incoming!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-17-2011, 05:14 PM
If it's my team, CC. If I was building a team from scratch, Albert.

TAC91
10-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Eh, well, the Braves wouldn't have enough of money for either of the players mentioned in that pole, but if I had to choose, it would go to Jose Reyes IF he wasn't so injury prone and didn't cost so much.

VenezuelanMet
10-17-2011, 05:20 PM
C.C. all the way, this on a vacuum.

For the Mets the best would be resigning Ryes

WoodandNails
10-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Pujols is the best player on the list and probably carries the least risk. None of those other players are going to make enough less money to make up for the additional risk.

PhillyFaninLA
10-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Other

scottythegreat1
10-17-2011, 05:49 PM
If I had to choose, it would be Pujols...but Id rather pick none of the above.

I just dont like these big contracts 7 years and over, I dont care who they are, they just dont work. Ive seen enough busts...anyways all of them are going to get that type of money...I sure wouldnt give any of them more than 5 years with a option year vesting on reaching statistics.

BlondeBomber41
10-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Resign CJ Wilson, go get Prince Fielder. Great offseason for the Rangers right there.

Kinsler
Andrus
Hamilton
Fielder
Young
Beltre
Cruz
Napoli
Murphy

That lineup would just be too ridiculous.

Bravo95
10-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Reyes for Atlanta, but not for 7 years.

Mr. Keys
10-17-2011, 06:53 PM
If I'm the Yankees, and I assume we re-sign Sabathia, I say Wilson. We could use a good, pretty young left-hander with alot of innings left in his arm.

But if I'm starting a team from scratch Pujols all the way, not even close.

Jeffy25
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
If Bautista had not signed that extension last off-season, he would be a free agent right now.

Can you imagine what he could have got?

Texas Holders
10-17-2011, 07:09 PM
My team is St. Louis, and I would resign Albert. He is wrapping up a seven year contract, so I have no problem giving him another seven.

Jack of Blades
10-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Resign CJ Wilson, go get Prince Fielder. Great offseason for the Rangers right there.

Kinsler
Andrus
Hamilton
Fielder
Young
Beltre
Cruz
Napoli
Murphy

That lineup would just be too ridiculous.

I'd much rather have Pujols.

10-17-2011, 07:26 PM
If Bautista had not signed that extension last off-season, he would be a free agent right now.

Either he does not care about the money or did not have enough confidence that he could have another big year.

Yanks All Day
10-17-2011, 07:58 PM
For the Yankees, CC. For everyone else, I guess the answer is Pujols, but I'd take a long look at Jose Reyes. If, and big IF, he can stay healthy he is the premiere SS in baseball. There really is nothing he can't do (except stay healthy apparently).

1908_Cubs
10-17-2011, 08:03 PM
Honestly? Not a single one of them. Wilson's going to be way overpaid. Fielder's a good bet to have his weight issues catch up to him. Pujols will be 40 at the end of his deal. CC's got weight concerns and pitching is volatile on injuries. Reyes relies too much on his legs for that deal to be good.

None of these players excite me based on the contracts they're going to get.

koldjerky
10-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Too bad Ryan Howard signed that extension. Definition of elite.

WolvesJagsOs
10-17-2011, 09:48 PM
For the Orioles, i would have to go with CC, but i definetely wouldnt mind Pujols or Fielder.

Jenceman
10-17-2011, 10:42 PM
As a Dodger fan, Pujols or Fielder. Pipe dreams though, Fielder is semi realistic if McCourt is forced to sell.

jd25213
10-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Since when was CJ Wilson considered an elite MLB player:confused:

"Ace"ves
10-17-2011, 11:10 PM
As a yankee fan, I know the best choice is Sabathia.... but i can help myself when it comes to Pujols

Throw Pujols in RF.... Montero at catcher/DH

Gardner
Granderson
Pujols
Cano
Rodriguez
Teixeira
Montero
Martin
Jeter

They'd probably fail in the playoffs.... but wow their regular season production would be off the charts assuming all could stay healthy....

rkelly7
10-17-2011, 11:12 PM

Had a better year than CC IMO. Sure CC has had a longer track record, but Wilson is a recently converted reliever, meaning he has less innings in him. And he isn't fat, I'd rather put money into Wilson than Sabathia at this point.

Sabathia and Pujols' contract (and maybe even Fielder) will all be ticking time bombs. So in that case, I'm going to have to say the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants or Cubs will be involved :laugh:

jd25213
10-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Had a better year than CC IMO. Sure CC has had a longer track record, but Wilson is a recently converted reliever, meaning he has less innings in him. And he isn't fat, I'd rather put money into Wilson than Sabathia at this point.

Sabathia and Pujols' contract (and maybe even Fielder) will all be ticking time bombs. So in that case, I'm going to have to say the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants or Cubs will be involved :laugh:

so he's had two good years, guy has so far sucked in the postseason and he is considered "elite" :laugh2:

Tmath
10-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Pujols
Reyes
Sabathia
Fielder
Wilson

in that order.

EaglesJackson10
10-18-2011, 12:23 AM

Probably less than Pujols will get.

VenezuelanMet
10-18-2011, 12:29 AM

I don't think anyone does, but he's easily the best pitcher available this year in FA (I think the Yanks are pretty much giving CC a blank check) So he will obviously get a big contract from someone.

10-18-2011, 12:38 AM

Unless you think ERA is the best way to evaluate a pitcher I don't see how you came to that conclusion.

jd25213
10-18-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't think anyone does, but he's easily the best pitcher available this year in FA (I think the Yanks are pretty much giving CC a blank check) So he will obviously get a big contract from someone.

this, but really he isn't an elite MLB player

iam brett favre
10-18-2011, 02:35 AM
I love CC and Prince, but Pujols..

AI
10-18-2011, 06:31 AM
None of the above. If Darvish where on the list I'd take my gamble on him.

- Only 25 years old (w/ the potential to be an ace)
- Won't cost my team a draft pick
- Posting fee doesn't count against the CBT
- "Actual contract" would be chump change considered to what most #1-2 SP's would get in the open market. He'll command like 5 years $50M, so your getting his best years at a very reasonable price.

All those positives outweigh the only negative which is we still don't know what he'll be in the MLB. You can only go with what you've seen and his stuff if filthy.

Pinstripe pride
10-18-2011, 08:25 AM
assuming we aren't talking into account openings on people teams, pujols is the best option.

todu82
10-18-2011, 09:36 AM
For Boston I'd go for Jose Reyes, hed greatly improve the shortstop position for the team. If I was building a team from scratch it would be Pujols.

adab
10-18-2011, 11:34 AM
If there's a better player, SP, RP, hitter or any other position that has consistantly produced better #s that Albert Pujols since he arrived at the MLB level, please advise me. The guy is an absolute lock to be the best player for at least another 5-7 years. He's absolute money in the bank. His D is terrific. About the only thing he can do any more is steal 10 bases/year. So what. Put him in the middle of the Pirates lineup, or other offensivevely defficient team and they suddenly become a whole different team. NEVER has any FA been so worth what this guy has earned gthe right to ask.
If I'm Alex Anthpopolos, of the Blue Jays, I hand Pujols' agent a blank check and say fill in the amount and years you want. I put him at 1B and bat him in front of Jose Bautista and challenge any pitcher in baseball to pick their poison. I then tell Adam Lind, thanks for the effort at 1B this year but in the interest of maybe winning, we're putting you back at DH and bat him 5th. I then say goodbye to Edwin Encarnacion.
Given the Jays are committed to increasing payroll by another $80-90 million, I then go out and sign Jonathan Paplebon and one or two SPs. That ought to shake oup the AL East.

LechWalesa
10-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I'd rather they say goodbye to Adam Lind.

SportsAndrew25
10-18-2011, 12:35 PM
I would love to have Albert Pujols on my team. :D

Shifty1 69
10-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Either he does not care about the money or did not have enough confidence that he could have another big year.

You could be right, not that he didnt think he could be great again, but to hedge against the small possibility that he did regress.

OR, he wanted to stay with the team longterm, the team that gave him his break and considered him the leader both on and off the field.:rolleyes:

Still went from a utility castoff to a $14million per.

Pretty sure Cliff Lee was confident enough in himself when he signed for less than he could have had.

Shifty1 69
10-18-2011, 01:24 PM
I voted Pujols cause my team (Jays) need 1b more than they need a SS or SP and have zero high ceiling 1B coming through the deep pipeline of youngins. I would be happy with Prince, happier with Albert.

Shifty1 69
10-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Sorry for the chain of posts but I have to ask:

Why is everyone calling Albert Pujols 'elite'? He only had 99 RBIs this year.:facepalm::rolleyes::D

Ill21
10-18-2011, 01:37 PM
Being a Yankee fan i would want CC and CJ

StryderSox
10-18-2011, 01:39 PM
As a yankee fan, I know the best choice is Sabathia.... but i can help myself when it comes to Pujols

Throw Pujols in RF.... Montero at catcher/DH

Gardner
Granderson
Pujols
Cano
Rodriguez
Teixeira
Montero
Martin
Jeter

They'd probably fail in the playoffs.... but wow their regular season production would be off the charts assuming all could stay healthy....

Zero chance Pujols moves to RF. I more likely scenario might be a move to DH if he signs in the AL with a team that already has a good 1B.

3mikee_
10-18-2011, 01:39 PM
We want Fielder.. or at least I want Fielder.. lol.

Halladay
10-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Why is everyone calling Albert Pujols 'elite'? He only had 99 RBIs this year.:facepalm::rolleyes::D

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12853680/images/1290186637384.jpg

Pinstripe pride
10-18-2011, 02:11 PM
CC for the yankees

Yankee Clipper
10-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Sabathia is the biggest necessity for the Yankees, he is the true ace of the rotation.

StryderSox
10-18-2011, 04:37 PM
For Boston I'd go for Jose Reyes, hed greatly improve the shortstop position for the team. If I was building a team from scratch it would be Pujols.

Ewww. Boston signing Reyes has Lackey/Crawford/Drew/Renteria written all over it. I hope with bringing in a new GM and all the problems in the clubhouse this year we will have learned our lesson with dishing out large 7 year contracts. I would personally like to see us go back to the mentality that we dont sign contracts longer than 5 years and we dont get caught overpaying for players in a bidding war. Thats what got us into this mess and we won two WS by finding players that fit Boston and not just chasing headline free agents.

"Ace"ves
10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Zero chance Pujols moves to RF. I more likely scenario might be a move to DH if he signs in the AL with a team that already has a good 1B.

I know... just playin dream team in my head

i hope we can at least get Montero in that lineup everyday.... cause i think one day he will be an "elite"

adab
10-18-2011, 05:13 PM

I don't understand this. To even suggest that Albert Pujols is not THE elite FA in the history of MLB FAcy, is to suggest that Hank Aaron hit SOME HRs.

Who is an elite FA in your estimation? if the soile barrier for this categorization is 100 RBI seasn, then you can eliminate Reyes from the list.

Please refrain from postng the most ignorant opinions ever posted.

Jeffy25
10-18-2011, 05:17 PM
I hope that was sarcasm about the RBI's lol.

ne3xchamps
10-18-2011, 07:34 PM
although CC is tempting, I would have to go with CJ wilson. You will see a decline in that fat body of his sooner then some people think. You can't keep throwing all those innings on the frame and NOT start to break down.

I would pass on albert just because of the length and $$ of the contract he's going to command. But if STL wins the world series, he might stay.

RTL
10-18-2011, 07:38 PM
For the Giants, Reyes all day long. He fills our leadoff, SS and SB threat needs plus he's perfect for AT&T. Giants need to start molding teams to their ballpark sort of like the Cardinals did in the 80's.

Jeffy25
10-18-2011, 07:42 PM
yes they do. So do the Tigers, and they don't. Both teams need to be landing triples type hitters.

TO Rapz
10-18-2011, 07:49 PM
Im 99% sure that guy was being sarcastic regarding Pujols' 99 RBI's...:laugh2:

Havoc Wreaker
10-18-2011, 08:07 PM
That's what I was thinking

thenetslegend
10-18-2011, 09:50 PM
pujols no doubt

ManningToTyree
10-19-2011, 12:19 AM
For the mets- Resign Reyes

Jeffy25
10-19-2011, 12:28 AM
And while Wilson may not seem elite, he is arguably a top 20 pitcher in baseball, maybe even higher.

An ace on most squads. I see him as similar to James Shields. Could be an ace, but would look great as a number 2.

BlondeBomber41
10-19-2011, 03:59 AM
I'd much rather have Pujols.

Well obviously but he is going to want an INSANE contract. Fielder won't be cheap, but he'll be considerably cheaper than Albert Pujols you would think.

Jeffy25
10-19-2011, 04:21 AM
There is a chance that the Cardinals hold firm on their last contract offer (reportedly 9/200ish) and that Pujols may just end up accepting that even if there are better offers on the table.

Fielder may get the top offer that Pujols passes up to remain a Cardinal (optimistic wishing here)

Texas Holders
10-19-2011, 05:35 AM
I honestly can't see him leaving St. Louis, he has already won a ring with them. Management and ownership have made it clear that they will put players around him to compete year in and year out. No one is going to give him ARod type money anyway, the Yankees would be the only ones to offer that and they have a first baseman already. I don't realistically see other teams blowing away the 9/200 offer anyway to overwhelm him to go elsewhere.

thenetslegend
10-19-2011, 11:12 AM
i wonder if the WS has any affect on pujols staying?

mttwlsn16
10-19-2011, 11:23 AM
cj wilson is far from elite
give me yu darvish and call it a day

Fred
10-19-2011, 12:28 PM

does reyes drink a lot?

...and, for the phils, none of the above since their payroll is off the charts already...

RCarlson85
10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
I would take Pujols or Fielder for the Nationals. Fielder is younger, but his weight kinda worries me so the safer bet would be Pujols.

Jeffy25
10-19-2011, 03:34 PM
cj wilson is far from elite
give me yu darvish and call it a day

As said earlier, he really isn't that bad.

He is a top 20 pitcher, arguably a top 15. Just depends where you define elite.

fadedmario
10-19-2011, 04:03 PM
jose reyes

long ball
10-19-2011, 04:12 PM
The Brewers (and almost any team) could use all of these players. I suppose I would want Pujols as he's the best and fills a need. Next would be CC because he is a beast. Reyes would be third as he is probably top 5 at his position.

tbone2171
10-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Since when is CJ Wilson considered elite???

thawv
10-19-2011, 05:12 PM
This clearly depends on the dollar amount, and the length of the contract. Pujols for 10/300, would be insane. He would be the last on the list for that. At 5/150, he would be the first on my list.

Cubs

RTL
10-19-2011, 07:12 PM
Since when is CJ Wilson considered elite???

It's all about how you define elite which is a subjective word. I don't find him to be elite at all but do find him to be one of the best pitchers available this winter.

stipe1280
10-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Personally I'd like to re-sign CJ first, then go after CC. Our offense is fine without Pujols or Fielder.

Cosmic_Canon
10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
CC for my team and Albert the rest of the league.
People are really sleeping on Albert's Plate discipline.
To be a 3 hitter and SO no more than 70 times, is ridiculous, Bonds-esq.

I think, AT WORST he's a 100 - 110 SO guy w/ 20 -25 HR's for the rest of his career. Add to that, he's in excellent shape, he will STILL be a great player in his latter years, not elite but still a great player. For that reason, I'm taking Pujols, if I'm any team not named the Mets/Yanks/Red Sox/Phillies.

Pujols, like Bonds, is one of the players who will not be an albatross contract in their mid-30's and on.