PDA

View Full Version : A question

Hellcrooner
10-17-2011, 01:35 AM
Wich league is better?

A ) A league where all 99% of the best talent in the world plays in.

B) A league where you have 99% of the top 50 players in the world then the 50% of the players 51-100 in the world 25% of the players 100-200 10% of players 201-300 and 99% of players bellow 300.

WHy im asking this?

MLE.

Owners want to get rid of it or reduce it to a ridiculously low amount.

They also want to stablish a hard cap ( and since stars will still get payed, the average role players/starters salarys will go DOWN)
there are SEVERAL players in europe winning mle money.

Childress was payed a bit over MLE when he was playing in Greece.

So, obviusly the lebrons, and kobes and even high touted euros like dirk and Pau are STILL GONNA get payed big bucks in usa ( the kind of bucks that european teams have difficulties to match) so they will stay.

But there are many STARTERS that due to those owners rules, will see them nba salary offers go down to the point where Euro teams will be able to OUTBID nba teams.

Thats what leads to scenario b.

Result, the level of competition in nba goes down, and in europe ( or china) goes up, making it more difficult for Nba to market itself as the "best league" in the world.

HAve owners thought bout that?

5ass
10-17-2011, 02:21 AM
Wich league is better?

A ) A league where all 99% of the best talent in the world plays in.

B) A league where you have 99% of the top 50 players in the world then the 50% of the players 51-100 in the world 25% of the players 100-200 10% of players 201-300 and 99% of players bellow 300.

WHy im asking this?

MLE.

Owners want to get rid of it or reduce it to a ridiculously low amount.

They also want to stablish a hard cap ( and since stars will still get payed, the average role players/starters salarys will go DOWN)
there are SEVERAL players in europe winning mle money.

Childress was payed a bit over MLE when he was playing in Greece.

So, obviusly the lebrons, and kobes and even high touted euros like dirk and Pau are STILL GONNA get payed big bucks in usa ( the kind of bucks that european teams have difficulties to match) so they will stay.

But there are many STARTERS that due to those owners rules, will see them nba salary offers go down to the point where Euro teams will be able to OUTBID nba teams.

Thats what leads to scenario b.

Result, the level of competition in nba goes down, and in europe ( or china) goes up, making it more difficult for Nba to market itself as the "best league" in the world.

HAve owners thought bout that?

That will never happen, the nba will remain the best league in the world because of its history alone. I think you are exaggerating the effects that it will have. You are also ignoring the fact that a lot of US players will want to remain in the US because its their home where they have been born and raised, kind of like how some European players want to remain in Europe.

ink
10-17-2011, 06:07 AM
I don't really see a lot of US born players willingly living outside of the US. They would rather play at home for equal or near equal dollars and they would rather play in their home league.

Heediot
10-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Lets put it this way. If players really want to win as most claim, money ain't a thang. They spew that **** as propaganda and image distortion. Come contract time, they spin the i have to feed my family angle. You can feed your family off the league minimum. I never seen a player in their prime reduce half their salary in order to win.

NYKalltheway
10-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Do people really dont know that there are as many as 2x more Americans outside American basketball leagues who are playing overseas?

daleja424
10-17-2011, 09:58 AM
In the NBA you are only as good as your best player... thus having all the top 50 players is probably more important that having most of the top 500 players.

Hellcrooner
10-17-2011, 11:42 AM
In the NBA you are only as good as your best player... thus having all the top 50 players is probably more important that having most of the top 500 players.

Kobe + Pau and 10 nbdl material players

vs 5 legit starters like Calderon, Stevenson, Battier, Scola, Chandler and 5 legit benchmen like Watson,MIller, Barnes,Turiaff, Ratliff.

the team with stars has 0 chance.

MrfadeawayJB
10-17-2011, 01:05 PM
Nba

daleja424
10-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Kobe + Pau and 10 nbdl material players

vs 5 legit starters like Calderon, Stevenson, Battier, Scola, Chandler and 5 legit benchmen like Watson,MIller, Barnes,Turiaff, Ratliff.

the team with stars has 0 chance.

ya...Im going to go ahead and disagree with you.

ink
10-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Do people really dont know that there are as many as 2x more Americans outside American basketball leagues who are playing overseas?

Sure, because there are pro spots available. But they're not the top few tiers of talent in almost all cases so they're just happy to have a pro career in their sport. Their first choice would obviously be the NBA.

NYKalltheway
10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Sure, because there are pro spots available. But they're not the top few tiers of talent in almost all cases so they're just happy to have a pro career in their sport. Their first choice would obviously be the NBA.

yes... it's also because of money and playing time.

A "scrub" will get paid 200-400k to play overseas. That's less than the minimum NBA salary. Decrease the NBA salaries, and more MLE worth of players will migrate while you're stuck with the 200-400k oversears "scrubs" staying at home. There's a limit on foreigners in overseas leagues, so they will opt for the better ones if they can lure them with $ ;)
Also NBA rosters must be filled, so the alternative would be those "scrubs" that would be D-League material.

It's the beginning of a domino, which will leave a few top class players in the NBA with like 30 PPG or 25 RPG and a watered down league with terrible players that would still make up similar stats as the current 8th-12th choices because of garbage time minutes (so in fact, statistically you will only assume that the talent has gone up with legit superstars as their stats increased while everything else remained around the same, so you can't tackle this problem. you just make it an even more "superstar league")

Hope you get my point coz I'm not going over that with better use of English :D

ink
10-17-2011, 05:08 PM
yes... it's also because of money and playing time.

A "scrub" will get paid 200-400k to play overseas. That's less than the minimum NBA salary. Decrease the NBA salaries, and more MLE worth of players will migrate while you're stuck with the 200-400k oversears "scrubs" staying at home. There's a limit on foreigners in overseas leagues, so they will opt for the better ones if they can lure them with $ ;)
Also NBA rosters must be filled, so the alternative would be those "scrubs" that would be D-League material.

It's the beginning of a domino, which will leave a few top class players in the NBA with like 30 PPG or 25 RPG and a watered down league with terrible players that would still make up similar stats as the current 8th-12th choices because of garbage time minutes (so in fact, statistically you will only assume that the talent has gone up with legit superstars as their stats increased while everything else remained around the same, so you can't tackle this problem. you just make it an even more "superstar league")

Hope you get my point coz I'm not going over that with better use of English :D

I see your reasoning but I really don't think the money difference is enough to lure American players away from the US and the league they think is the best in the world. The prestige of even sitting at the end of an NBA bench is still greater than the money difference. Look at a player like Anthony Parker. He was a standout in the European league but ultimately his dream was to come back and play in the NBA. He was an extremely open-minded player and an amazing teammate, so that's no knock on him at all. For him, like so many others at that level, there is nothing more important than to play in the top league. The money fades away; the prestige of the NBA lasts a lifetime for these guys. No knock on the European league, it's just not the same calibre and I think everyone would acknowledge that.

Hellcrooner
10-17-2011, 05:15 PM
I see your reasoning but I really don't think the money difference is enough to lure American players away from the US and the league they think is the best in the world. The prestige of even sitting at the end of an NBA bench is still greater than the money difference. Look at a player like Anthony Parker. He was a standout in the European league but ultimately his dream was to come back and play in the NBA. He was an extremely open-minded player and an amazing teammate, so that's no knock on him at all. For him, like so many others at that level, there is nothing more important than to play in the top league. The money fades away; the prestige of the NBA lasts a lifetime for these guys. No knock on the European league, it's just not the same calibre and I think everyone would acknowledge that.
he signed for Mle money, when few teams can offer full mle money on europe.

Problem comes when they reduce the mle to say 3 million dollars, that after taxes become 1,5 million and an european team offers you 4 million dollars AFTER TAXES because they pay them for you.

not many people will leave 2,5 millions a year ( wich is 10 million on a 4 year deal ofr example) on the table.

ink
10-17-2011, 05:21 PM
he signed for Mle money, when few teams can offer full mle money on europe.

Problem comes when they reduce the mle to say 3 million dollars, that after taxes become 1,5 million and an european team offers you 4 million dollars AFTER TAXES because they pay them for you.

not many people will leave 2,5 millions a year ( wich is 10 million on a 4 year deal ofr example) on the table.

That would only be a limited number of hypothetical cases. It's not like we'd see some exodus of MLE type talent. But for that level of player it might be an option, sure. I still think most Americans would prefer to play at home in the NBA. What may actually be the issue is that EUROPEANS might happily take the money and stay home. I can definitely see that happening. It's a little like the NHL and KHL (Russian League); when the KHL started coming up with the $$$ to keep European players in Europe, many of them opted for the chance. It has siphoned off some of the Russian/Euro talent we might have seen in the NHL. But even a league that big didn't really dent the talent pool out there. I don't think it'll be that big a problem, just a possibility on a case by case basis.

NYKalltheway
10-17-2011, 05:29 PM
also, Anthony Parker left Europe at the age of 31 after playing for a very dominant side winning everything there. There wasn't much else he could achieve in Europe. He's American so it's only natural that he wanted to play in a league where it's home for him.

There are many Europeans who don't give a damn about the NBA, while others had the "Jordan" effect wanting to play in the NBA (Spanoulis for example, who believed was better than god) or those who wanted to try their luck in a more competitive environment.

And besides a few players from Spain, ex-Yugoslavians, Russia and Lithuania), most European star players in the NBA have been coming from countries where basketball is either the 4th or 5th most popular sport, or non-existent. (Tony Parker, Dirk Nowitzki first come to mind, Thabo Sefolosha from Switzerland as well)

Also worth to note that Ilgauskas is like a fugitive back in Lithuania, not a hero, unlike Nowitzki in Germany (of course not the same impact)
Milicic and Krstic are not highly regarded in homeland Serbia either
Vujacic is not loved in Slovenia and not even called up in the national team

You're not getting the cream of the crop of European players and NBA will never do like it did in early 90s with Drazen, Sabonis, Kukoc, Marciulionis etc