PDA

View Full Version : How are the small market owners running the lockout right now?

NYSpirit1
10-16-2011, 02:56 AM
The longer this lockout goes on, the more it makes me wonder how small market owners -- who are probably pissed about losing their players like Dan Gilbert (Cavs), Robert Sarver (Suns) and the Kroenkes in Denver -- are running this lockout.

It's clear without them, there would be no lockout and issues on the hard cap, amongst other things. Amare even echoed this statement today. I saw this on Hoopshype: "[Robert] Sarver, for sure," Stoudemire said. "He's probably the main guy that's pushing for this lockout."

How are the Jerry Busses, Mark Cubans and James Dolans of the NBA not stepping to the plate, to these small market owners and saying no, we're not going to side with you? Especially Wyc Grousbeck of the Celtics, with the Big Three's era winding down. It just doesn't make sense at this point. There's many big market teams, with more money in their pockets than Gilbert and Sarver. They are making a lot of money through their teams, why aren't they speaking up?

I highly, highly doubt anything revolving around the cap and a hard cap needs to be changed for the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, Heat, Knicks, Mavs, Nets, etc.

The big teams probably enjoy having no hard cap.

Wade>You
10-16-2011, 04:15 AM
The longer this lockout goes on, the more it makes me wonder how small market owners -- who are probably pissed about losing their players like Dan Gilbert (Cavs), Robert Sarver (Suns) and the Kroenkes in Denver -- are running this lockout.

It's clear without them, there would be no lockout and issues on the hard cap, amongst other things. Amare even echoed this statement today. I saw this on Hoopshype: "[Robert] Sarver, for sure," Stoudemire said. "He's probably the main guy that's pushing for this lockout."

How are the Jerry Busses, Mark Cubans and James Dolans of the NBA not stepping to the plate, to these small market owners and saying no, we're not going to side with you? Especially Wyc Grousbeck of the Celtics, with the Big Three's era winding down. It just doesn't make sense at this point. There's many big market teams, with more money in their pockets than Gilbert and Sarver. They are making a lot of money through their teams, why aren't they speaking up?

I highly, highly doubt anything revolving around the cap and a hard cap needs to be changed for the Lakers, Bulls, Celtics, Heat, Knicks, Mavs, Nets, etc.

The big teams probably enjoy having no hard cap.I agree, glad I'm not the only one who sees that Dan Gilbert and Robert Sarver are leading this lockout. There's a huge conflict of interest and they're relatively new owners so they shouldn't have this much say. Those guys made really poor investments and decisions and would rather hold the NBA hostage then sell their franchises and cut their losses short. But I guess we live in the age of bailouts and now these new NBA owners feel their entitled to being bailed out as well.

Dan Gilbert is also hell bent on destroying LeBron (thinking back to the "I guarantee the Cavs will win a championship before LeBron does" comment). You know guys like Sarver, Kroenkes , and the Raps ownership feel the same way but aren't stupid enough to say it publicly.

I also think the great owners that have been here for years should be speaking up.

The cap is fine, IMO. Any owner that knows what it takes to build a championship understands that building chemistry and being able to keep your important pieces is key. Of course, it's the owners that haven't won and don't know how to build a championship team that are pushing to change the system.

Anilyzer
10-16-2011, 06:34 AM

The big teams probably enjoy having no hard cap.

I agree.

I think what's going on is that A. The small market owners have more votes, and the league is run like a democrqcy and B. if the small mkt owners go down, they could bring down the league. They could create lawsuits against the NBA etc.

When they got in, they were fat chumps promising to shell out good. Big juicy cash. Cows for the NBA. Now times are tight, they're not liquid, they're panicking, and they have 2/3 of the votes. AND they could bankrupt the league because of various arrangements.

Really they should just accept the two tier system, play it smart like Sterling of the clippers, just have a mediocrfe team and make your share of the $$$. Why are thse guys like Gibson offering Lebron $100M if they can't pay the elctric bill?

It's time to get real. Maybe this can set a global or national trend of reality thinking.

Tom Stone
10-16-2011, 06:45 AM
I agree, glad I'm not the only one who sees that Dan Gilbert and Robert Sarver are leading this lockout. There's a huge conflict of interest and they're relatively new owners so they shouldn't have this much say. Those guys made really poor investments and decisions and would rather hold the NBA hostage then sell their franchises and cut their losses short. But I guess we live in the age of bailouts and now these new NBA owners feel their entitled to being bailed out as well.

Dan Gilbert is also hell bent on destroying LeBron (thinking back to the "I guarantee the Cavs will win a championship before LeBron does" comment). You know guys like Sarver, Kroenkes , and the Raps ownership feel the same way but aren't stupid enough to say it publicly.

I also think the great owners that have been here for years should be speaking up.

The cap is fine, IMO. Any owner that knows what it takes to build a championship understands that building chemistry and being able to keep your important pieces is key. Of course, it's the owners that haven't won and don't know how to build a championship team that are pushing to change the system.

A soft cap is never fine.....they are lucky they had it this long.......at the grass root level of basketball, a pick up game......you always try to pick fair teams, unless your an idiot, and have no horour......And basketball (sports in generall) is that way right up to the NBA......But all of a sudden once you hit the NBA, completive balance takes a back seat to money... and that is pathic......They feel like because it's a business , the essence of sport goes out the window...what's right , what's fair doesn't matter....and just what's gonna get me more money take president......the people who don't understand this are life dumb.

Hard Cap = Basketball Saved

abe_froman
10-16-2011, 06:55 AM
A soft cap is never fine.....they are lucky they had it this long.......at the grass root level of basketball, a pick up game......you always try to pick fair teams, unless your an idiot, and have no horour......And basketball (sports in generall) is that way right up to the NBA......But all of a sudden once you hit the NBA, completive balance takes a back seat to money... and that is pathic......They feel like because it's a business , the essence of sport goes out the window...what's right , what's fair doesn't matter....and just what's gonna get me more money take president......the people who don't understand this are life dumb.

no,it doesnt.inequity will still remain.as you cant guarantee the best players will be evenly dispersed between every team,you cant guarantee that no owner/gm wont shoot themselves in the foot because they give out bad contracts.all sports are inherently unequal because not everyone is create equal physically.its just highlighted in the nba more than other sports because a single player has a greater impact than other sports

magichatnumber9
10-16-2011, 08:30 AM
If losing one season to save the NBA infrastructure for the future I'm all for it. Like I have been saying before though I wish there was someone representing the fans. Why are we not at the bargaining table? I wish I could take my family to a game and not dish out 200$ plus.

Hawkeye15
10-16-2011, 10:02 AM
let me get this straight. Fans of the large markets (basically the 8 teams making money), are upset that the other 22 teams have the audacity to ***** and complain that the system is not working.

Did I get that right?

Tom Stone
10-16-2011, 10:49 AM
All I care about is the hard cap... I'm hoping for a vote soon....450 players in the league, and 30 show up and among that 30 not all are totally with Fisher.....I wonder how long Fisher and Hunter can tell these guys to be quite and stand behind me, with out letting them vote.....I do respect Fisher I just don't agree with him that sports shouldn't be equal playing feild....he said it's not there responceability....it's the way the world is............And Derrick is right it is the way the world is....that's why there is so high unemployment....union's wanted too much... business owners left the country for cheaper labour.....this is one of the reasons the world is so messed up......So what I say to Derrick is just because the world has a pathetic greedy system that has doomed us all.....and it's the way it has been, doesn't mean you should support it.......in time I hope Saner minds prevail.

daleja424
10-16-2011, 11:25 AM
It is actually funny TBH... b/c the small markets are forcing the lockout... and they are the ones that are at risk of going under and getting contracted if the lockout lasts an extended period of time or if the players sue for damages.

they could be digging their own grave...

Bramaca
10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
I agree, glad I'm not the only one who sees that Dan Gilbert and Robert Sarver are leading this lockout. There's a huge conflict of interest and they're relatively new owners so they shouldn't have this much say. Those guys made really poor investments and decisions and would rather hold the NBA hostage then sell their franchises and cut their losses short. But I guess we live in the age of bailouts and now these new NBA owners feel their entitled to being bailed out as well.

A bailout is getting money that wasn't earned by the company from somebody like the government. The NBA is trying to adjust their expenses and fix their system before an actual bailout is needed. They are dealing with their own revenue, not even close to the same thing.

Finding ways to keep the important pieces is one of the main reasons for the lockout. The current cap isn't fine and needs to be fixed.

Hawkeye15
10-16-2011, 11:44 AM
It is actually funny TBH... b/c the small markets are forcing the lockout... and they are the ones that are at risk of going under and getting contracted if the lockout lasts an extended period of time or if the players sue for damages.

maybe a very small portion of them. Glen Taylor, the Wolves owner for example, could go 2 years without the NBA and not feel much of a financial blip. These are billionaires for the most part. They can hold out a whole lot longer than millionaires.

I understand many of you large market fans are getting upset because it hasn't been your teams problem. But take away sports. Lets look at this as a private sector of 30 businesses. When 22 are failing, the system needs to be repaired, or every business ends up suffering in the long haul.

There is a lot more to this than some fans selfish need to watch their large market team play games.

Bramaca
10-16-2011, 11:45 AM

It's true they could be digging their own graves but when their other option is to die slowly and painfully with even more in losses then its probably a chance they are willing to take.

Tom Stone
10-16-2011, 12:39 PM

Do you mind explaining your background...i'm just interested in how someone comes to the opinions you do...are you related to a player or have some invested interest here... because I know your not an idiot....I feel like your almost being paid to say such things.....or maybe you just enjoy playing the devil's advocate.

BigCityofDreams
10-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Like Hockey?

daleja424
10-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Do you mind explaining your background...i'm just interested in how someone comes to the opinions you do...are you related to a player or have some invested interest here... because I know your not an idiot....I feel like your almost being paid to say such things.

How is anything I just said untrue? I can link you to multiple articles that have made the exact same point if you like.

If the league misses a year or two there are some teams that would most likely be forced to fold.

Tony_Starks
10-16-2011, 01:47 PM
A- Some of the small market teams are not going to be competitive regardless of what happens so they can care less about a season

B- The large market owners are being quiet because they want to have their cake and eat it too. They want a deal to get done but some of them are still balking at more revenue sharing. Thats why Stern keeps refusing to make revenue sharing a part of the deal because the owners can't come to an agreement on it. In essence he's saying "lets just get a deal done and you let us worry about the revenue sharing part...."

C- Robert Sarver, Dan Gilbert. ( see their track record )

Anilyzer
10-16-2011, 06:23 PM
maybe a very small portion of them. Glen Taylor, the Wolves owner for example, could go 2 years without the NBA and not feel much of a financial blip. These are billionaires for the most part. They can hold out a whole lot longer than millionaires.

I understand many of you large market fans are getting upset because it hasn't been your teams problem. But take away sports. Lets look at this as a private sector of 30 businesses. When 22 are failing, the system needs to be repaired, or every business ends up suffering in the long haul.

There is a lot more to this than some fans selfish need to watch their large market team play games.

it's all about entertainment

THE MTL
10-16-2011, 11:20 PM

Actually I highly doubt you play pickup games, because everyone tries to go for the KILL squad.

I would say the NBA is very competitive. Seriously, you have 8 teams in the WCF that must win 50 games in order to make playoffs.....and thats not competitive.

THE MTL
10-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Anyway, Im really shocked that the owners are together on this lockout thing. Boston, Miami, Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Los Angeles, Dallas, Orlando, Philadelphia, Houston, even Oklahoma City.....want a lockout??? U telling me that these teams pushing hard for this lockout?

Even teams like Detroit (considered large market), San Antonio (been competitive), Golden State (best attendance in league)....want a lockout?

Seriously, the owners should be split amongst themselves.....50/50

gwrighter
10-16-2011, 11:37 PM
how? who knows, negotiation tactics, unwillingness to sign the deal your guess is as good as mine. But it doesn't matter how, it matters why; & the answer to that question in simple terms are Profit & competitiveness.