PDA

View Full Version : who is the better off season investment?

More-Than-Most
10-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Who do you think will be the better off season investment between Rollins and Reyes... Clearly reyes is the better player and a game changer but Rollins is still pretty good and will likely get less years. So if you had to choose would you rather throw 7 years at reyes or 3-4 years at Rollins?

heysuckit
10-15-2011, 11:28 PM
reyes. dudes 28, and clearly in his prime. sure he had injury issues but they are way over-blown...jose has played 120 or more games in 6 out of 8 seasons since he has been a full time major leaguer...rollins is 32 and still a good player, but not nearly as good as he was, and not on jose's level....in 09 and 10 he outrighted sucked and this year hes was ok

roylikeswaffles
10-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Reyes, but 7 years is a scary commitment.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Reyes but it really isn't that safe.

McPeak92
reyes. dudes 28, and clearly in his prime. sure he had injury issues but they are way over-blown...jose has played 120 or more games in 6 out of 8 seasons since he has been a full time major leaguer...rollins is 32 and still a good player, but not nearly as good as he was, and not on jose's level....in 09 and 10 he outrighted sucked and this year hes was ok

That's bad.

Lincecum4CY
Id go 5 years with a 6th year option on reyes. If he accepts then obviously id rather have him.

More-Than-Most
10-16-2011, 12:15 AM
If someone knows the expected years/Money for Fielder/Fat Albert you could also make a thread and poll about them as well. I am not sure of the numbers or I would

Jeffy25
10-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Reyes or neither

Jeffy25
10-16-2011, 01:41 AM
As for Reyes and the injury issues. I feel as long as you have enough plate appearances/at bats to qualify for the batting title, then that is a healthy enough season.

Which, Reyes has done all but one season (2009) in his 7 full years of a big league career.

6 out of 7 seasons of being rather healthy isn't a bad track record. However, his hamstring is necessary for him to have a productive season. He would obviously have to pass plenty of physicals, and in any deal I would offer him, it would have qualifiers based on plate appearances to reach bonuses or potential income.

nyyfan4life
10-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Considering J-Roll sucks, I'd go with Reyes.

Rush
10-16-2011, 01:56 AM

He didn't suck in 2009. Some stats were bad, such as his obp and ba wasn't up to par as his past seasons, but he did hit 21hr, drove in 77 runs, stole 31 bases, and had 43 doubles. His defense was fine in both of those years too. And in 2010, only played half the season.

As for the topic question, it'd be hard to give Reyes 7 years. At 5 years, I'd say the choice is Reyes.

More-Than-Most
10-16-2011, 03:04 AM
Considering J-Roll sucks, I'd go with Reyes.

He sucks? He still has value from the defensive side at an important defensive position while being a valuable base runner even with his declining speed. He is not on an offensive level like reyes but he does not suck either. Would I want him back on the phillies...For 3 years hell yea but anything greater and I will pass. So again reyes is the much better player but Rollins might be a safer option

iggypop123
10-16-2011, 03:16 AM
i wouldnt give rollins more than 3 years. id make it 2 years with a 3rd option. he can play he just cant stay on the field. same could be said for reyes, except his price could be 3x as high.

GoatMilk
10-16-2011, 03:17 AM
i went with neither because i just dont think the risk is worth the reward

Jroll is getting old and has has his injury trouble. Im surprised to see he played 142 games this year, but i know he was being a man and playing through some pain. 88 games in 2010 as well

Jose Reyes is a china doll. 7 years is crippling

Yankee Clipper
10-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Not really close in this instance, Reyes would definitely be the better investment. I do agree though that 7 years is a scary long term investment, but it will be hard for some teams to pass on his overall versatility.

lvlheaded
10-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Jose isn't gonna get 7 years guaranteed. He probably gets 5 years with an option or 2. And the answer is Jose

tev_dodd
10-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Reyes doesn't know how to win, and Rollins is over the hill and injury prone...I'll take answer C, whoever the in-house option is at a more reasonable price.

That said, if the team I root for got either of these 2 guys I would be ecstatic. I just don't think either of the 2 will justify their deals.

Jamiecballer
10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
That's bad.

he's been healthy enough to lead the majors in plate appearances two of the past seven years and eclipse 700 PA's 4 times in that span. that's healthy enough for me.

infernoscurse
10-16-2011, 10:13 AM
ill take answer D

and the giants will be after both

ritz
10-16-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm a Mets fan, so you know my answer.

adab
10-16-2011, 10:28 AM
While I'm sure some team is going to pony up to Reyes' financial desires, the injury history is suggests that he comes with a giant buyer beware sign.
Rollins's demands may not get met. His #s have seen a steady decline since he won the MVP and he's not getting any younger. If he takes a short 1 or 2 year deal with tons of incentives, he can re-establish himself and get 1 last mega-deal and ride off into the sunset.
As per best high value bargain upcoming free agents, who else can gain your team immediate credibility, completely turn your offense around and offer outstanding defense other than Albert Pujuls. Regardless of the cost, he's worth every penny. Plain and simple, the best player since Ty Cobb & Babe Ruth. This was his worst season and still led his team to 1 game from the WS (as of today).

PhillyFaninLA
10-16-2011, 10:29 AM
If you want potential value and a good amount of money for another move you get Rollins if you want a guy that stepped up on a contract year that you will have to overpay for in money and years you go with Reyes.

StayOnBoard
10-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Reyes or neither.

Rylinkus
10-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Neither.

Rush
10-16-2011, 01:20 PM
ill take answer D

and the giants will be after both

Giants aren't signing Reyes. Only big FA acquisition they'll be re-signing Beltran. Payroll isn't going up much with Lincecum arb going through the roof, Cain getting a big raise, and about 10 arb cases.

Wouldn't be surprised seeing them going after Rollins since he'll be 33.

McPeak92
10-16-2011, 01:49 PM
he's been healthy enough to lead the majors in plate appearances two of the past seven years and eclipse 700 PA's 4 times in that span. that's healthy enough for me.
I don't really care what he did the past 7 years. Let's look at more recent history, last year misses 36 games, year before that 29 games and the year before that 126. Is that healthy enough for you? because If he wants about 120-140 million and a 6-7 year commitment that sure as hell isn't healthy enough for me.

StryderSox
10-16-2011, 09:20 PM
7 years is too long of a commitment to any player much less one that plays physically tough position like SS and already has health concerns in recent years.

Pinstripe pride
10-17-2011, 08:51 AM
if you had to take one, its easily reyes, but he's not going to be worth the deal he ends up signing

ManningToTyree
10-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Reyes and it isn't even close

ManningToTyree
10-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Reyes doesn't know how to win, and Rollins is over the hill and injury prone...I'll take answer C, whoever the in-house option is at a more reasonable price.

That said, if the team I root for got either of these 2 guys I would be ecstatic. I just don't think either of the 2 will justify their deals.

Explain how he doesn't know how to win.

sixer04fan
10-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Depends on the contracts they get, but the obvious answer is Jose Reyes. And this is coming from a Phillies fan.

todu82
10-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Reyes, he's easily a top 3 shortstop in the MLB. Going to get lots of offers this off-season.

hoggin88
10-17-2011, 10:30 AM

Oh god.

Brooklyn Mets
10-17-2011, 10:57 AM
reyes>rollins in almost every category

unless you are looking for a short term less expensive solution to your ss situation

Yankee Clipper
10-17-2011, 11:29 AM

Reyes doesn't know how to win? Or is it that he has been on pretty bad teams the past few seasons? Doesn't seem fair to say that he personally isn't capable of being apart of a winning team.

DJYankee
10-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Don't like Reyes injury history... But he has that explosive talent you can't ignore. I picked Roliins either way.

More-Than-Most
10-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Lmfao@the doesn't know how to win comment... Say that when he plays all 9 positions simultaneously while pitching and coaching and I will 100 percent agree with you... Until that happens saying that about 1 player on a 40 something man team is fail.

tev_dodd
10-19-2011, 07:36 PM
He doesn't know how to win, if he did the Mets would be in playoff contention every single year and not choke it away in September. The amount of money Reyes is going to command....he needs to be able to make his teammates better and clearly he hasn't been.

Are we apologizing to Jose Reyes that the Phillies got good?

The fact that persons team was flat out bad with them should not increase their value. He flat out doesn't know how to win, so unless if he goes directly into a winning cultured locker room his value is diminished.

Fred
10-19-2011, 07:55 PM
The question posed was who is the better value, not who is better...Reyes is better than JRoll right now, no question...if they were both on a 3 year contract for equal dollars, Reyes is better (easily)..now, reality time, Reyes will get lots-o-cash this year. Jimmy should do OK as well....but, as far as value is concerned, JRoll should get somewhere around 3-4 years with AAS @ $12m/yr, and that is being generous based on his age....Reyes is looking for Crawford money and at the least, will probably pull 6-7 years with AAS of $16-$18m (wow, that salotta dough)...so, as far as value is concerned, this is a tough question....if JRoll had never been a Phillie and the Phillies were looking for a SS, in THEIR situation, Rollins is the better value...$36m for 3 years looks WONDERFUL compared to 7/$18m (estimates)...Reyes until 2019 just sounds scary based on his recent injuries...both play good defense, but I believe JRoll to have the better glove now and for the next 3 years...Reyes will be the much better hitter, but in years 4 - 7, he will likely decline some as his productivity is based in large part on his wheels...those are the first thing to go when a ballplayer gets a little old in the tooth...

Fred's opinion: Reyes is the better player right now, but JRoll is the better value

ritz
10-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Honestly, the whole "Reyes is looking for Crawford money" was something spun up by the media going into 2011. It was an easy and lazy comp since they're both players that rely on their speed. I won't deny that (positions aside) they're pretty similar players, but that was a bit irresponsible by the media to start up that rumor because it took off and everyone took it as gospel.

RTL
10-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Rollins is asking for 4-5 years. I don't see Reyes getting more than 5 years just as I don't see Rollins getting more than 3. Rollins has just as shaky of a recent injury history as Reyes so I choose Reyes hands down. He's younger and just all around better than Rollins. If Rollins or Reyes want more than the years I laid out, I let them sign elsewhere.