PDA

View Full Version : JaVale Mcguee "some players are ready to fold"

spreadeagle
10-15-2011, 05:47 AM
JaVale McGee only acknowledged the inevitable Friday when the Washington Wizards center said a few NBA players are "ready to fold" in their contentious labor negotiations with the league.

McGee and union president Derek Fisher both believe far more players are sticking together and staying strong as they head into a crucial week for the league's future.

McGee left the meeting early, but made the biggest headlines at the valet stand when he described frank conversations among the players.

"There's definitely some guys in there saying that they're ready to fold, but ... the majority of guys are willing to stand strong," McGee said.

In a tweet, McGee later denied he said the words recorded by more than a dozen reporters. Fisher and the players who didn't leave early laughed off the brouhaha. http://www.nba.com/2011/news/10/14/union-players.ap/index.html Whenever its a holdout between millionaires and billionaires the ones with the B will always win

LakersIn5
10-15-2011, 05:58 AM
the owners suck! the players should be the one making billions.

magichatnumber9
10-15-2011, 06:09 AM
Why isn't someone there representing the fans? It would be nice if there was a lawyer for us. Someone who could negotiate ownership and the players to take a nice pay cut so a family could afford to attend and enjoy the games.

spreadeagle
10-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Why isn't someone there representing the fans? It would be nice if there was a lawyer for us. Someone who could negotiate ownership and the players to take a nice pay cut so a family could afford to attend and enjoy the games.

amen to that brother

JNA17
10-15-2011, 06:15 AM

No, they shouldn't...ever.

JNA17
10-15-2011, 06:15 AM

As sad as this is, no one gives a **** about the fans.

RevisIsland
10-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Doesn't surprise me, they have way more to lose.

likemystylez
10-15-2011, 10:35 AM

well theyve met you half way. Both the owners and the league are taking a pay cut... and indirectly putting thousands of dollars back in their fans pockets. For the real fans- the nba just made us a little bit richer this year.... on the downside, we dont get to watch NBA basketball.

Personally, I would happily pay another 15-20% on my season tickets if it assured no lockout..... but I suppose in this economy- getting the money back for tickets plus 5% might not be the worse thing.

What the nba needs to worry about is... in this economy, people might realize that the nba is a rip off (really expensive) and they can get a lot more their money through most any other form of entertainment. If this happens- Then the longer the league is locked out- the harder its going to be to get back to where it is today. The diehard fans like myself will be there no matter what, but unfortunately that group of diehard fans is probably less than 10% of their fan base.

sep11ie
10-15-2011, 11:06 AM

Cause the fans have ZERO stake in what happens. We all actually GAIN money if there is no season.

PhillyFaninLA
10-15-2011, 11:10 AM

This is big business.

Target, Verizon, McDonalds, Coke and everyone else will not brig in a lawyer representing the consumers of there products when they are working on policy or discussing a merger.

I would love for them to take into account the fans but they have to take into account the profitability and growth of the league. Even though I don't like doing it I can separate the fan in me from the economist in me. They should care about the fans when it comes to marketing and ticket prices but not CBA negotiations.

There is no reason for a lawyer representing the fans to be there and it would only make the situation draw out longer.

Heediot
10-15-2011, 11:58 AM

Neither should be as rich as they are but in a free market capitalistic society that's what happens.

imagesrdecievin
10-15-2011, 12:05 PM
I'd bet there are some owners that are ready to fold as well. Not much of a story here other than the fact that Javale McGee is a bleepin' idiot.

He is deserving of a blanket party for making such a stupid comment.

Tmath
10-15-2011, 12:31 PM
The players need to stfu and take a deal. Do they not realize the owners are the ones that take all the risks and still give them guaranteed cheques?

For the players who are greedy, go try and find a better deal somewhere else and if they do good for them, but I'm sure there are a lot players out there that will take what's being offered and be happy with it, as they should.

gotoHcarolina52
10-15-2011, 12:34 PM
If you want to have a say in any of this, you can speak through your time and your wallet. Pissed off at the owners/players for putting the season at risk? Then don't watch the NBA when it comes back and don't pay for merchandising, tickets, concessions, etc.

Empty arenas and anemic balance sheets can and will send a message.

Their antics aren't deserving of your loyalty. But if you're addicted and can't help but to stay on the drug, then don't complain when the players and the owners take you for what you are--an addict and a slave.

futureman
10-15-2011, 12:41 PM

I bet if you were an owner you wouldn't feel that way. So I would shut up about things I don't understand if I were you. But since your a laker fan I doubt you even have the capacity to understand it because your pirate paper champions frnchise can't develop players if their lives depended on it. You just let other teams do the work but you guys can't draft for ****. You should tell your team to grow some balls and build their own team instead of leeching off the franchise players of others because your scouting blows.

heyman321
10-15-2011, 12:41 PM

omg the players suck! the fans should be the one making billions.

Stack_NJNets
10-15-2011, 12:57 PM
JaFail McGee.

/thread

Tony_Starks
10-15-2011, 01:11 PM
I think JaVale is a little slow. I saw him at a club function during allstar break, the day after he was in the dunk contest mind you, and he was literally waiting in line to get in the club. Everybody was clowing him like "N---a what in the hell are you doing? You better do a windmill dunk or something so you can get up in there!"

MrfadeawayJB
10-15-2011, 09:10 PM
He's probably referring to himself....i know he didnt make too much money

MTar786
10-15-2011, 09:21 PM
we should all tweet and put facebook statuses about not watching the nba anymore. even though it would be a lie. just say if this lockout goes any longer i will stop watching basketball this season even if it comes back on. (just so they hear us) im sure the nba will somehow see many fans tweeting and facebooking somehow. seriously guys. do this

kozelkid
10-15-2011, 09:22 PM
McGee continues to show why he has one of the lowest IQs in the league.

Wade>You
10-15-2011, 09:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/10/14/union-players.ap/index.html Whenever its a holdout between millionaires and billionaires the ones with the B will always winThe best part is they have a lot of people fooled into believing that they are actually losing money. And the longer this goes on, the more they demands they will make. They'll end up having the players at far below their value, Free Agency will be nearly non-existent, and they won't even pass none of the savings on to the fans in the form of affordable ticket and food prices. Sabotaging the NBA is the best thing they could have ever done.

ManRam
10-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Good.

I'm seriously pro-league. I know it's not trendy...but I think what they want is best for the league.

topdog
10-15-2011, 09:55 PM
The owners have made enough progress on their end. I wish they'd just pack it up, take the 47-53 split and look towards making money now and cutting BRI to 50-50 in 6 years.

MattColby
10-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Sounds like a typical employee

Wade>You
10-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Good.

I'm seriously pro-league. I know it's not trendy...but I think what they want is best for the league.The NBA has increased revenue every year since its existence, it had it's best season last season, and quite arguably, it made the biggest headlines of any sport last year. If the owners get their demands, you might as well throw away 60 years of history because every championship team and dynasty (pretty much what made the NBA) would never exist.

I can't imagine that being good for the league, and like I said, they have a lot of people fooled.

NBA_Starter
10-15-2011, 10:13 PM
I hope so!

GiantsSwaGG
10-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Why is JaVale opening his mouth...He's not important let alone smart!

likemystylez
10-15-2011, 10:53 PM
McGee continues to show why he has one of the lowest IQs in the league.

at this pont I dont care if the players get screwed. If Mcgee saying that helps end the lockout hes a hero in my books. Billy Hunter and D fisher arent very good at this at all.

NBA_Starter
10-15-2011, 10:56 PM
at this pont I dont care if the players get screwed. If Mcgee saying that helps end the lockout hes a hero in my books. Billy Hunter and D fisher arent very good at this at all.

My thoughts exactly!

likemystylez
10-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Why is JaVale opening his mouth...He's not important let alone smart!

who caes- if there is division amongst the players... thats as good news as any for this lock out ending at some point before they cancel the season. if players are already freaking out before they even lose a pay check... that number is gonna go way up when they are losing real money.

Unfortunately it makes the chances of the owners improving their offer over the next few weeks almost zero... Then again, the owners actions up until this pointhavent made sense to me, so they are hard to predict. I thought there would be atleast a good number of owners who would have been pushing hard for a deal last weekend. I mean teams like the lakers are gonna lose their TV deals by cancelling games into the season.... That cant be a good thing for jerry buss.

Im hoping the more wealthy owners like dolan and buss will eventually just stand up and yell

" If you want us to share our revenue with you idiots who cant figure out how to turn a profit in pro sports... lets get in there and make a deal already so we have a chance of making some money... No wonder you idiots in Milwauki and Clevland are losing 40 million a year each... you dont recognise a deal when its right there on the table... you opt to throw money away instead"

likemystylez
10-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Good.

I'm seriously pro-league. I know it's not trendy...but I think what they want is best for the league.

im pretty sure its not in the best interest of the league to risk cancelling a season coming off the ratings they had last year. They will lose a huge chunk of their fan base... particularly the casual segment of the fans. Having a lock out will probably drop BRI by atleast 15-20% over the next 4 or 5 years. To put it into perspective that could be over 4 billion dollars thrown away in the long run.... not to mention whatever is lost this year.

MrfadeawayJB
10-15-2011, 11:08 PM
I never liked Derek Fisher and now i like him even less

Tony_Starks
10-15-2011, 11:28 PM
who caes- if there is division amongst the players... thats as good news as any for this lock out ending at some point before they cancel the season. if players are already freaking out before they even lose a pay check... that number is gonna go way up when they are losing real money.

Unfortunately it makes the chances of the owners improving their offer over the next few weeks almost zero... Then again, the owners actions up until this pointhavent made sense to me, so they are hard to predict. I thought there would be atleast a good number of owners who would have been pushing hard for a deal last weekend. I mean teams like the lakers are gonna lose their TV deals by cancelling games into the season.... That cant be a good thing for jerry buss.

Im hoping the more wealthy owners like dolan and buss will eventually just stand up and yell

" If you want us to share our revenue with you idiots who cant figure out how to turn a profit in pro sports... lets get in there and make a deal already so we have a chance of making some money... No wonder you idiots in Milwauki and Clevland are losing 40 million a year each... you dont recognise a deal when its right there on the table... you opt to throw money away instead"

I wouldn't be so sure there's division amongst the players. Javale wasn't even there that long and going by past history he's not exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer. The players are saying that guys like Kobe, Lebron, Pierce, and others were extremely adamant about not budging off the 53% so I think the players are going to dig in, they've conceded enough.

I agree with you about the owners though, I think the longer this drags the more disunity there will be amongst the owners. Franchises that are barely hanging on like Sacramento, Charlotte, and NO don't have a season to throw away. They were barely selling tickets with the game at its peak popularity, could you even imagine the repercussions of a missed season fanwise for them? Could mean contraction.

Also the big boys (Lakers, Knicks, Dallas, ChiTown) stand to lose HUGE money from a skipped season and that would be a monster loss to the NBA since they are the major earners. As much as they want to give the impression that they can just wait it out forever, realistically the owners just cant do it.....